PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bonnet Stripes

weefossy
1st July 2010, 11:01 PM
Question....how easy is it to remove "dealer fitted" bonnet stripes? Is it a case of applying heat, or what chemicals would help? Can it be done successfully?
Has anyone done it before?

Scottie
1st July 2010, 11:10 PM
I removed some from my pepper white using the hair dryer came off really easy.

GCA3N
2nd July 2010, 07:28 AM
Question....how easy is it to remove "dealer fitted" bonnet stripes? Is it a case of applying heat, or what chemicals would help? Can it be done successfully?
Has anyone done it before?

As said hair drier will do the trick. You'll get a little residue left so I used autosmart glue and tar remover worked a treat. Mind though that will take off any product/ wax etc off so wee wash and wax afterwards is a good idea.

Craig
2nd July 2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah as Greig/fi say a hairdryer is good, although I boiled a kettle and let it cool a bit then poured that over the stripes and they came off easy. And as Greig says you might need some tar remover to get rid of some of the left over glue... Is this on a new project ??

ianking
2nd July 2010, 08:10 AM
I will do it for you if you want.
I will be working in the garage all next weekend on a new Merc if you want to pop past.
give me a call if you want

weefossy
3rd July 2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks Ian, I will give you a call towards the end of next week. Will also let you see how difficult a job the convertible is going to be!!

ianking
4th July 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Ian, I will give you a call towards the end of next week. Will also let you see how difficult a job the convertible is going to be!!

Believe me Ive done some horrors in the past. It will be a walk in the park compared to some.

stoney
4th July 2010, 12:08 PM
Believe me Ive done some horrors in the past. It will be a walk in the park compared to some.

my old s being one of them :lol:

ianking
5th July 2010, 08:04 AM
my old s being one of them :lol:

there has actually been worse than that, would you believe.

GCA3N
5th July 2010, 09:03 AM
there has actually been worse than that, would you believe.

...no not really ;)

ianking
5th July 2010, 09:16 AM
None of them MINIs mind you but Ive done plenty cars worse than that when I worked at the garage. Several times Ive had to remove seats and then remove the carpets and put the carpets in the wash bay to hot jet wash them.

GCA3N
5th July 2010, 11:50 AM
I have no understanding of how some folks keep their cars, it is a shocker. Like you say I bet you have seen some beauties in times gone past.