PDA

View Full Version : What to buy

Tam1314
21st June 2010, 10:23 AM
Hi Folks, lm hoping to buy a mini soon, problem is that l'm not sure what model to go for. Its either going to be a Cooper or a Cooper S. The car will be used everyday for travelling to work,every other weekend travelling to West Lothian(240 miles round trip) and hopefully the occasional Mini Run/Show.
Now l know that the Cooper suspension would be a lot easier on the back than the 'S' but can the engine be upgraded to give it a wee bit more acceleration.
If l went for the 'S' what seats would give me the best support or can the suspension be adjusted for different driving situations.

I know that some of these questions could probably be answered by the dealers but l'm hoping that l will get real answers from you guys on here who have experience of the queries l have.

Thanks
Tam

Fartin Martin
21st June 2010, 10:37 AM
Hey man!

I went from a cooper to an S and never looked back! as much as i loved my Cooper, it was just a step on the ladder!

I've got the sports suspension +..and its pretty stiff..and along with runflats..can be abit bumpy, but doesn't really bother me in the slightest though..as there's plenty that makes up for it! :D

as for seats..i dunno..only had the ones that come as standard..with the Checkmate..dunno if they are any different :confused: lol

as for the petrol side of it..the Gen 1..the S can be pretty brutal..unless theres alot of motorway miles it gets a wee bit better on the MPG..I travel for Milton to Uddingston on a daily basis..sometimes back and forth..and its no cheap! :p..but its worth it!

Hope this helps a wee bit! Good luck :thumbs up:

Stewart
21st June 2010, 10:46 AM
Is this a new Mini or second hand?
If you after your comfort I’d ditch the runflats but if it’s a new Mini there on non-runflats and the ride is so much better.

Good luck with it.

KenL
21st June 2010, 01:24 PM
In the R56, the suspension is the same in all the cars.

I have standard suspension & 17s with runflats. I have never found the ride to be too harsh. It is more comfortable than the R50 I had on standard suspension with 15" normal tyres.

Sheilz
21st June 2010, 06:27 PM
If fuel economy is an issue then you might consider the cooper D. I'd agree with the others though about getting rid of the runflats though I'd sports suspension plus on my last cooper as well as runflats and dinged up and down the motorway without any discomfort. Good luck choosing. That can be as much fun as anything.

Tam1314
23rd June 2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks Folks, l didnt realise that the newer cars had non runflat tyres, lm probably going to be looking at cars from 06 onwards so will check what tyres they have.
MPG isnt really a big problem as its a 16 mile round trip from Blackburn to ARI in Aberdeen.

Thanks for the answers so far

Tam

GCA3N
23rd June 2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks Folks, l didnt realise that the newer cars had non runflat tyres,

Tam

Any mini can run with non-runflats loads of folks don't like the harsh ride quality of the RF's. For me I prefer them as it gives you peace of mind. However I have just purchased a space saver so thinking the RF's will go on the next tyre purchase.

One other thing to be aware of is if you opt for the R56 cooper S(2006 onwards)as an oppose to the older Cooper S(R53) then you can get performance and good fuel economy. My S gives me 45 MPG on average, but if your careful you can quite easily have it up to 50mpg.

Delboy
23rd June 2010, 09:37 AM
Now l know that the Cooper suspension would be a lot easier on the back than the 'S' but can the engine be upgraded to give it a wee bit more acceleration.
If l went for the 'S' what seats would give me the best support or can the suspension be adjusted for different driving situations.

It sounds from your original post that you are concerned about comfort and support for your back in particular. If you have back issues then you really should try to get extended test drives on a Cooper and Cooper S to compare them. Just because I think my Cooper S Clubman with runflats and sport seats is comfortable doesn't mean you will feel the same way.

Good luck with the car hunt :thumbs up:.

Crombers
23rd June 2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Folks, lm hoping to buy a mini soon, problem is that l'm not sure what model to go for. Its either going to be a Cooper or a Cooper S.

Well you'd better go for an 'S' then cos Coopers are apparently too slow & folk keep trading them in (heartless barstewards !!!)

'GORDY' ............................... team hug :blush:

Tam1314
23rd June 2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks folks, l will certainly try to get an extended test drive in both models, l really fancy the Cooper S and will be looking for a 2006 onwards.

Thanks

Big Gordy
23rd June 2010, 02:30 PM
'GORDY' ............................... team hug :blush:

I'm with you till the end Alan :thumbs up: