PDA

View Full Version : How do you reset brake service light

mogster
18th June 2010, 07:46 AM
Hi there

I fitted front brake pads and a new brake pad sensor cable to my R56 Mini Cooper. Does anyone know how to reset the brake service light?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
18th June 2010, 08:06 AM
Info HERE (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/135901-r56-service-brake-lights-etc-reset-procedure.html) sir..... :thumbs up:

GCA3N
18th June 2010, 08:09 AM
Nice find craig, didn't know you could do that. Summery below

To enter the service Menu:

Insert Key
Do not press clutch / brake
Press Start button
Wait until the Car / revelant Service symbol disappears on the Rev counter display
Immediately after the symbol goes out - Press and hold Both buttons on the Rev Counter
Continue to hold - the system Will run a dash light check:rolleyes:
Continue to hold
Display will then show VIN / Menu, - continue to hold through this until the time Reappears on the display.
Now release Only the Right hand Button (trip reset) for about a second, and then press and hold again (whilst still holding the LH button)
After another second of 2 the display will show the Front Brake Symbol You Are Now in the Service Menu:D
Use the BC Button (on indicator stalk) to scroll through to the relevant symbol - eg Rear Brakes

To Reset the warning indicator light - Press & Hold the BC Button at the revelant symbol until RESET appears - then press and hold again until the process is complete.

Turn Off and On the Ignition again - Warning should now have gone!;)

mogster
18th June 2010, 11:19 AM
Hi

Thanks for these instructions. I still have TLC on the car. By reseting the brake service light like this I take it it will not affect or erase any other information, ie. it will indicate when other services are due in due course?

Thanks

GCA3N
18th June 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi

Thanks for these instructions. I still have TLC on the car. By reseting the brake service light like this I take it it will not affect or erase any other information, ie. it will indicate when other services are due in due course?

Thanks

Wouldn't have thought so it will just remove that particular warning.

mogster
18th June 2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks very much again. I will try this later.

mogster
22nd June 2010, 08:21 PM
Hi there

I followed the instructions as per your post. Sorted..... Prior to this I popped into the Mini dealership at Menzies, Stirling asking if a mechanic could reset the lights. Not a chance. When they realised an authorised Mini garage hadn't fitted the pads and sensor cable they informed me that they couldn't reset the light as they'd have to check that the pads were fitted correctly. I informed them that I was a qualified motor mechanic. They then changed their tune and blamed the brake pad sensor cable. They said it must be faulty. However, if I book the car if for an inspection at a cost of £30 they could have a look. Anyway. That's my rant over. Thanks again for some honest advice. Proof again that some dealers are just after your money.

GCA3N
3rd August 2010, 09:19 AM
Anyone know if there is a method to do this for the R50. Cheers.

Mon the fish
3rd August 2010, 01:28 PM
For the R50/52/53-

Put key in slot, do not turn though.
Press reset knob and mileage is shown and keep pressed.
switch on ignition till 1st position.
display will show 1_Test, keep on pressing reset button till it shows 51A and mileage.
Release reset knob.
By pressing the knob briefly you will change between oil service and brake fluid.
Choose the one you want to reset and press reset knob till display shows Rst.
Release knob and press again.
Go and open a beer.

GCA3N
3rd August 2010, 03:07 PM
For the R50/52/53-

Put key in slot, do not turn though.
Press reset knob and mileage is shown and keep pressed.
switch on ignition till 1st position.
display will show 1_Test, keep on pressing reset button till it shows 51A and mileage.
Release reset knob.
By pressing the knob briefly you will change between oil service and brake fluid.
Choose the one you want to reset and press reset knob till display shows Rst.
Release knob and press again.
Go and open a beer.

Many thanks :thumbs up:

KenL
4th August 2010, 07:17 PM
Great posts here folks :thumbs up: