PDA

View Full Version : New Phone upgrade..

Burple
14th June 2010, 11:13 AM
Right guys.. tiem to start some lively discussion... ;)

Time for a phone upgrade in about 2 weeks, and I've narrowed it down to 2 contenders..
(can't really justify the cost of an iPhone4 I don't think.. nice as they are!)

So.. the two real contenders are.. HTC Desire.. or iPhone 3GS..

So far I can see:

HTC - Pros - better camera with flash; AMOLED screen, FREE on current contract
Cons - doens't seem as solid as an iPhone

iPhone - Pros - better build quality? can chuck all my iTunes music over.
Cons - camera, every bugger's got one ;) Only free on contract over £45 a month! :eek:

can anybody give me an overwhelming reason to choose one over the other?

:confused:

zimbo
14th June 2010, 11:59 AM
No sony ericcson... :thud:

Fartin Martin
14th June 2010, 12:04 PM
iPhone with out a doubt!I couldn't carry on without mine in my life! Lol..maybe hang on for the 4g iPhone..watch the trailer on the apple website,it's pretty good!:D

GCA3N
14th June 2010, 01:05 PM
ok Iphone 4 out the question it will be full of bugs for a while and 4G is not available yet. Has got some nice features like video calling(between other iphone 4's ) etc but wait for a while.

As an ipod user the natural progression for me was the iphone (itunes etc) so that was my main issue, plus this time last year 3GS was the best out at the time. My mum has just upgraded and believe it or not I talked her out of the 3GS and she just got the HTC desire. (not played with it yet)

I think pound for pound it is slightly better and more importantly it's new to the market. The 3GS is just about to be replaced so if you buy it now you'll have an out of date phone for atleast 18months to 2 years.

Now don't get me wrong I love my 3GS, however taking itunes/music out the equation if I were buying a new smart phone today the smart choice would be the HTC desire.

Would I buy it though....no... still have an iphone any day.

Think of it like your mini, a mini is like an iphone, there is better out there for less money but we still buy mini's.

watch this for some help in your decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Buh_dkzpYc

Burple
14th June 2010, 04:15 PM
Cheers Greig! some good vids there. Food for thought! Might just end up going for the HTC to be honest, it's gonna work out a fair bit cheaper :thumbs up:
Not gonna be doing a lot of web browsing with it, mostly probably messing about with Apps :laugh:

Burple
14th June 2010, 04:17 PM
No sony ericcson... :thud:

Nope.. the last one's been temperamental at best... and far too fragile with Fi about :laugh:

Time for a change! :thumbs up:

john
14th June 2010, 05:32 PM
I like my iPone so much I don't know anything about the other phones mentioned as I have had no reason to go looking. iPone for me for sure.

Mon the fish
14th June 2010, 05:49 PM
This isn't even a debate, iPhone hands down...

stoney
14th June 2010, 06:44 PM
i phone i would say have not tryed the HTC tho but i love my i phone :thumbs up:

Crombers
14th June 2010, 07:14 PM
New iPhone here as well. Canny put the feckin thing down!

Scottie
14th June 2010, 07:43 PM
HTC desire every time.

AeroJonny
14th June 2010, 08:11 PM
Iphone 4...do it!

Bazthemod
14th June 2010, 08:21 PM
Ewan you were thinking about an ipod anyway so just put the little extra and get the iPhone 4... makes sense! Then again you will have other toys to pay and play with soon enough lol.

Livi
14th June 2010, 08:29 PM
HTC Desire like Fi said

i was tempted over that or the new iphone, but just went HTC cos the reviews are very good.

plus there is still an app market :thumbs up:

gauldrymini
14th June 2010, 09:04 PM
...a Blackberry of some description?

Doug_m
15th June 2010, 11:13 AM
Hold off for a month or so and wait for the 3gs price to tumble and pick up a good spec phone for less...

euan
15th June 2010, 12:09 PM
Hold off for a month or so and wait for the 3gs price to tumble and pick up a good spec phone for less...

That's exactly what I'm doing. Pre-order for iPhone 4 starts today apparently, so I'm hoping some kind of announcement on pricing will be done at the same time. HTC Desire is very appealing though and the cash difference in total contract value is not inconsiderable.

Burple
15th June 2010, 01:15 PM
...a Blackberry of some description?

Hahaha.. Wash your mouth out!! lol :laugh:

Nah.. never fancied one of those.. that sounds too mush like a device for work! :p:hand:

Burple
15th June 2010, 01:18 PM
That's exactly what I'm doing. Pre-order for iPhone 4 starts today apparently, so I'm hoping some kind of announcement on pricing will be done at the same time. HTC Desire is very appealing though and the cash difference in total contract value is not inconsiderable.

I was thinking that too, tho vodafone were pretty vague about it, and told me the iPhone had just dropped in contract price. I can get my upgrade any time from the last week in June. I'll have a nose on Fleabay too..

Otherwise, HTC Desire is a clear price winner, I'll get a cheap Nano for the car :thumbs up::D

Ferengo
15th June 2010, 01:24 PM
I'd watch out. Apple have limited the capacity of the 3GS to only 8GB. So if you want space you're now forced to go for the iPhone 4. I have the 3GS and think it's one of the biggest wastes of money ever. There is far better out there, but in saying that it does run really well and has a lot of app support so it does balance out. Big price tag taking in to account other phones and tariffs at a similar or higher spec.

gauldrymini
15th June 2010, 01:37 PM
Hahaha.. Wash your mouth out!! lol :laugh:

Nah.. never fancied one of those.. that sounds too mush like a device for work! :p:hand:

agreed...:yes nod:, our company Blackberry phones are to be replaced soon...probably with another Blackberry:yawn:

Mon the fish
15th June 2010, 01:56 PM
It's the apps that win it for the iPhone. 95% of my use is apps, like redlaser to save me money, tube deluxe when in London, Football scores, the F1 timing app, irealSMS (Cydia app) the list goes on...

Other phones might come out which are far better, but it'll take a long time for anyone to match the apps available.

euan
23rd June 2010, 04:15 PM
Well, I've just ordered my new phone. Iphone 4 delivered tomorrow, decided that after 6 months I'd probably only want to get the iPhone but I'd be stuck with a Desire, but at long last I've joined the bandwagon. Time will tell if it's the right decison!

GCA3N
23rd June 2010, 06:44 PM
Well, I've just ordered my new phone. Iphone 4 delivered tomorrow, decided that after 6 months I'd probably only want to get the iPhone but I'd be stuck with a Desire, but at long last I've joined the bandwagon. Time will tell if it's the right decison!

let us know how you get on, I am lovin the new operating service on my 3GS.

euan
25th June 2010, 02:59 PM
So, and iPhone 4 early adopter viewpoint.

The lack of info was an absolute nightmare. I kept ringing Orange and then the day before it was launched at about 1 was able to order it for delivery the next day. Fair play to them though, it was delivered within minutes of the hour they said it would be!

So, I got home yesterday and there it was. First impressions are of the weight of it, it feels like it's very solid, heavy and expensive (it's all of those). The setup time was very quick (within 20 minutes of ringing Orange) compared to some, I know some on O2 who were waiting hours for it become activated. Stuck the sim in and off you go!

Picked up my home wi-fi straight away so I had a play. Downloaded the Wimbledon app and watched some video - and was knocked out by the quality of the screen and the sound out of it. It really is stunning, the picture is fast and clear to update, with no blurring on the tennis at all. It's very bright as well. Synced my mail to it, very easy, and used Google sync to get my contact list onto it - all over the air and worked a treat.

Now, the signal issue. Yes it does happen if you hold it like the videos, but I don't. Apparently the issue is caused by "bridging" the wifi and mobile antenea on the bottom corner which is by contact with you. In reality, nobody will do this as you'll always have a case on it, so it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I bought a bumper for it, fits very well and still leaves the phone very snug, though no official screen protectors yet and Apple store near me had NO accessories for it yet other than black bumpers, however they were very helpful in giving me details for how to get one from them.

The camera is very good, not tried the flash yet as I'm still using it with the wrapper on it! the flip round so you can use the front facing camera so you can a picture of yourself and see it is very clever though.

All in all, very impressed, though if your running iOS4 on a 3Gs, I doubt you'd notice much difference. As it's my first iPhone, I'm very happy.

GCA3N
25th June 2010, 04:12 PM
So, and iPhone 4 early adopter viewpoint.

The lack of info was an absolute nightmare. I kept ringing Orange and then the day before it was launched at about 1 was able to order it for delivery the next day. Fair play to them though, it was delivered within minutes of the hour they said it would be!

So, I got home yesterday and there it was. First impressions are of the weight of it, it feels like it's very solid, heavy and expensive (it's all of those). The setup time was very quick (within 20 minutes of ringing Orange) compared to some, I know some on O2 who were waiting hours for it become activated. Stuck the sim in and off you go!

Picked up my home wi-fi straight away so I had a play. Downloaded the Wimbledon app and watched some video - and was knocked out by the quality of the screen and the sound out of it. It really is stunning, the picture is fast and clear to update, with no blurring on the tennis at all. It's very bright as well. Synced my mail to it, very easy, and used Google sync to get my contact list onto it - all over the air and worked a treat.

Now, the signal issue. Yes it does happen if you hold it like the videos, but I don't. Apparently the issue is caused by "bridging" the wifi and mobile antenea on the bottom corner which is by contact with you. In reality, nobody will do this as you'll always have a case on it, so it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I bought a bumper for it, fits very well and still leaves the phone very snug, though no official screen protectors yet and Apple store near me had NO accessories for it yet other than black bumpers, however they were very helpful in giving me details for how to get one from them.

The camera is very good, not tried the flash yet as I'm still using it with the wrapper on it! the flip round so you can use the front facing camera so you can a picture of yourself and see it is very clever though.

All in all, very impressed, though if your running iOS4 on a 3Gs, I doubt you'd notice much difference. As it's my first iPhone, I'm very happy.

Sounds good mate I am due an upgrade at the end of the year so might upgrade to this. Need to get a play with one to see if there's much difference between a 4G and a 3GS. I know the 4g can do video conference but only between another 4 g iPhone though.

The Dogfather
25th June 2010, 04:26 PM
My old N95 could do video conferencing with any other video enabled phone

euan
25th June 2010, 05:23 PM
My old N95 could do video conferencing with any other video enabled phone

So could my Sony w995, never used it though and the missus had the same phone!

euan
25th June 2010, 05:25 PM
Sounds good mate I am due an upgrade at the end of the year so might upgrade to this. Need to get a play with one to see if there's much difference between a 4G and a 3GS. I know the 4g can do video conference but only between another 4 g iPhone though.

I don't think there is much in it really, unless you really need the better camera. Now I've put a bumper on it, it looks exactly like a 3Gs anyway!

bry_mini
26th June 2010, 11:37 AM
got mine today :cool: cant put it down :blush: