PDA

View Full Version : Jet lag

AndyP & Lenore
13th June 2010, 11:23 PM
Anyone got a cure for it?

I can NOT sleep on the red eye flight back to the UK from the USA. We usually fly from New York area so it's only a 6 to 6.5 hour flight. By the time they serve the horrible food there's hardly any time to sleep anyway, but I spend the entire night awake.

By the time we're home there's too much to do.... pick up the cats, unpack, get some basic supplies in etc., etc. So by the time that's done it's early afternoon. If I go for a "nap" then I'll never sleep in the evening. So I head off to bed early - about 9 or 10pm. We slept for 13 frikking hours and got up at 11.30.

It's now 11.30 ish and I'm frikking wired again and I know I'll never sleep if I get to bed. Then I'm going to be exhausted tomorrow at work.

Jet lag seems to knock me for 6 for a few days when I get back.

Anyone got any suggestions for next time?

Gismo, how do you deal with it on your regular long haul journeys.:confused:

A.:D

GCA3N
13th June 2010, 11:30 PM
Ah that's why your like a bear with a sore head :lol:

Mini Ecosse
13th June 2010, 11:36 PM
Ah that's why your like a bear with a sore head :lol:

No change there then:lol::lol:

AndyP & Lenore
13th June 2010, 11:37 PM
Cheers guys. I knew I could rely on you two to provide sensible constructive advice.:frown:

Mini Ecosse
13th June 2010, 11:38 PM
I do not have any real problems with jet lag, suggest you get a job with shifts :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
13th June 2010, 11:40 PM
I do not have any real problems with jet lag, suggest you get a job with shifts :thumbs up:

Ha ha... I guess that may help. Gets you a bit more used to being awake all night.

I'm finding as I'm getting older I'm valuing my "good 8 hours" more and more.:blush:

Sheilz
14th June 2010, 12:12 AM
Did you have a nice holiday?

Gismo
14th June 2010, 12:23 AM
Everyone is different I just force myself to stay awake, but now I have two long haul flights I drink a few glasses of red wine and cat nap , works for me

AndyP & Lenore
14th June 2010, 12:29 AM
Did you have a nice holiday?

Yess, thanks Sheilz.

More details here. (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?20553-In-Orlando-we.....)

Mon the fish
14th June 2010, 07:45 AM
Get some mountain bikes and walking boots, and holiday in Scotland. Beats jet lag every time!

dellie
14th June 2010, 08:08 AM
My sleep pattern us still fooked up after my long haul flight last week, been home a week tomorrow

Crombers
14th June 2010, 10:53 AM

Agreed, instant cure :thumbs up:

Get a job in the 'real' world :rolleyes:

Jeez, it's only the east coast of USA ffs, try Australia !!!! :yes nod:

stoney
14th June 2010, 10:28 PM
Ok what you need to do is this on your way home u can sleep as much as you want but don't eat then when you get back you have a meal for the time of day I.e. If it's 6pm you have dinner if it's 7am have breakfast and this tells your brain it's that time of day so it helps your body clock go back to normal

AndyP & Lenore
14th June 2010, 11:22 PM
Hmmm. Did that Rob. Got home about 11.30, had lunch about 12.30 then went for the cats. Went to bed on Saturday night at 10pm, fell asleep straight away. Slept for 13 hours and got up at 11am Sunday. Then last night I was lying awake at 5am 'cos I couldn't get to sleep.:ragin: Up at 10am today as we're back to work. So, home now and will be getting off to bed soon. Up at 6am though as we have a meeting in Stirling tomorrow. Hoping I don't stay awake to 5am again.:frown:

N16SHP
15th June 2010, 02:02 PM
I tend to find as long as you are disiplined, and get back into a regular pattern. Don't nap, if you feel your tired, go get active. Plenty walks, and then when it gets to a decent time such as 8-9pm and your tired, sleep but make sure you have a time to get up at say 9am and stick to it. Its worse the more you sleep. The brain works in 3 hour patterns, i.e. light sleep, deep sleep (REM) and then light sleep again so if you can stick to that, it also helps! And as stoney said, eat at regular times.

AndyP & Lenore
15th June 2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I think we slept on too long on the Saturday. If we'd got up at 8 or 9am, I don't think we'd be having the same trouble.:frown:

A.