PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake Pads

Duncan Stewart
3rd July 2004, 06:54 AM
Some important info about rear brake pads I found out today! I got my Mini serviced a week ago as I was going on holiday and a service was due soon. On the way home today a warning light came on - it looked like brake warning but was not listed in the handbook so we stopped at Morrisions in Kirkcaldy (who serviced it) - they said it was the brake pad warning light and put it on the ramps and found the rear, inner pads were at the limit. I complained it had been serviced last week to be told the wheels are not removed and only the outer pads are measured for wear,however on minis the handbrake works by using the inner rear pads so they wear out first. They say this is a BMW instruction and the wheels are not removed at ANY service! They were helpful and a mechanic stayed late to fit the pads and they gave us a discount (£72 instead of £90 odd). I got the worn pads from them and intend to write to BMW about how stupid the wheel policy is.
They were surprised the Mini had brake pad wear warning lights and asked if I had it fitted as on option(I had not) - so there may be some minis out there without this light and your servicing will not tell you when you need pads - a very expensive set of pads & discs would be needed! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :dead: :(

duncan
3rd July 2004, 07:05 AM
Duncan,

I think the Brake Pad warning light was added in late 2002, when there was a list price rise of £100 or so.

It might have been around the time the Glovebox was fitted instead of the shelf.

Quite concerning that the dealers aren't checking these at service time, and seeing as mine is a bit older, i should see to getting them checked some time.
What have you been doing to wear them out so quickly tho? Do-nuts in retail park car parks? ;)

john
3rd July 2004, 07:34 AM
My cooper does not have the warning lights,BUT I changed front and rear pads a few weeks ago and all the pads had worn evenly.

It does not matter how the hand brke works unless you use it while moving.Because only then will the pads wear due to the hand brake.:)

Duncan Stewart
4th July 2004, 05:49 AM
Go point John. I queried this and asked them to check if my handbrake was binding but it was fine.

Starky
5th July 2004, 02:06 AM
Stop doing handbrake turns Dunc. :D

KenL
5th July 2004, 03:43 AM
I was sure it was only the FRONT pads that had a wear indicator?

sw
6th July 2004, 09:22 PM
Has anyone had both front & rear discs and pads replaced by BMW, how much did it cost? I am now worried as my 52 cooper looks like it may need them soon. £90 for a set of rear pads has got me worried.

KenL
7th July 2004, 01:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by sw

Has anyone had both front & rear discs and pads replaced by BMW, how much did it cost? I am now worried as my 52 cooper looks like it may need them soon. £90 for a set of rear pads has got me worried.

You could buy the pads from dealer and either change them yourself, have a friend do it or pay a trusted independent garage to do it.

When I got them changed on my last car it was <£50 for parts & labour.