PDA

View Full Version : world cup 2010

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 07:32 PM
Thought I would kick this off, 2 days to go, how excited am I, so hope it's a good tournament. Anyone else feeling the same.

The Dogfather
9th June 2010, 07:40 PM
I'm hoping England do well (obviously), however realistically looking at the team I can't see anything more than a scrape to qualify from the group and maybe a couple of games in the knockout stages.

I hope Spain win it if England don't

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 08:04 PM
I don't think England will do well, however if Rooney turns up on the day then who knows. Oh and BTW I actually want them to go quite far, makes for a better tournament.

As far as who I think will will then I don't think you can look past Argentina, have a sneaky suspicion it will be Argentina V Spain final 2-1 to the Argies, there you go you heard it here first.

Scottie
9th June 2010, 08:30 PM
my team (Scotland) did not qualify so I actually don't really care who wins the world cup. I am in the fortunate position that I can enjoy the world cup regardless of what team is playing.

If England do well then that's all for the better if they go out well that's football for you.

norrie
9th June 2010, 09:16 PM
I also don't care who wins the World Cup as I hate football.
However I am going away on my bike this weekend and going to the Moto GP at Silverstone next weekend which I am really looking forward to.
It's a shame Rossi wont be racing though.

Norrie.

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 09:22 PM
It was kind of a thread FOR football lovers and in particular the 2010 world cup, so I don't really see your the point of your comment.

stoney
9th June 2010, 09:26 PM
well i don't really give a monkey's who wins or who loses not a big fan of football i do how evea tend to watch the old firm games tho

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 09:33 PM
:What are you folks like:frown:

stoney
9th June 2010, 09:46 PM
car racing live music driving my GP ect ect all come before football as football just dose not scratch my itch

audrey
9th June 2010, 10:29 PM
Dont care who wins either HATE football :yawn::yawn:

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 10:46 PM
Right gonna rename this thread to "who hates football and the world cup" :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney
9th June 2010, 10:53 PM
It was kind of a thread FOR football lovers and in particular the 2010 world cup, so I don't really see your the point of your comment.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol:
SORRY boss http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/hijack.gif http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/hijack.gifhttp://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/hijack.gif

ha ha its a who hates football thread now :lol:

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 11:05 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol:
SORRY boss http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/hijack.gif http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/hijack.gifhttp://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/hijack.gif

ha ha its a who hates football thread now :lol:

Swines the lot of you :lol:

Delboy
9th June 2010, 11:07 PM
Getting back to the football :rolleyes:, yes, I'm looking forward to watching the games. I really hope England get stuffed and don't make it out of the group stage but I actually think they'll win their group :argh:. As for my prediction for the overall winner - I'll plump for Brazil.

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 11:10 PM
Getting back to the football :rolleyes:, yes, I'm looking forward to watching the games. I really hope England get stuffed and don't make it out of the group stage but I actually think they'll win their group :argh:. As for my prediction for the overall winner - I'll plump for Brazil.

Thanks del a comment finally based on the topic. I think England might struggle if I'm honest. Brazil I feel like England are relying on one player turning up ie kaka/Rooney.

Delboy
9th June 2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks del a comment finally based on the topic. I think England might struggle if I'm honest. Brazil I feel like England are relying on one player turning up ie kaka/Rooney.

I know what you mean. I think Argentina are a good bet too - I realy hope Messi has a good tournament.

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 11:38 PM
I know what you mean. I think Argentina are a good bet too - I realy hope Messi has a good tournament.

Ditto that. Tevez I think will play an important part too. Exciting thinking of him and messy together upfront.

Gismo
10th June 2010, 12:57 AM
Argentina have no chance, scraped through their qualifying and have Maradonna at the helm.
My pick is Spain or Brazil

GCA3N
10th June 2010, 07:13 AM
Argentina have no chance, scraped through their qualifying and have Maradonna at the helm.
My pick is Spain or Brazil

I'll give u brazil but I think Spain will flop. Would love to see one of the African nations do well.

GCA3N
10th June 2010, 07:38 AM
Watching breakfast tv this morning they said that Spain were the favorites, but it was ok because England wouldn't meet them till the final. It will be a mighty fall.

Mon the fish
10th June 2010, 08:44 AM
As a member of the Tartan Army, I suppose my feelings can be guessed at...

I can only really relax and enjoy a tournament when England have been knocked out. Nothing against the English, I've lived there in the past, and still have friends there. But it's the media and the hype that gets to you, and once they're knocked out its much more relaxing to watch, knowing they can no longer whip themselves into a frenzy.

The comedy hatred of the Germans bothers me as well - it's ok for them to want the Germans to lose (based on a war in the past that is nothing to do with football), but not ok for us to want them to lose?

It's not racism - don't mind the English, just don't like the England football team. And I might respect them a bit more if they could find their own anthem, and not hijack the British national anthem.

Rant over!

GCA3N
10th June 2010, 09:11 AM
As a member of the Tartan Army, I suppose my feelings can be guessed at...

I can only really relax and enjoy a tournament when England have been knocked out. Nothing against the English, I've lived there in the past, and still have friends there. But it's the media and the hype that gets to you, and once they're knocked out its much more relaxing to watch, knowing they can no longer whip themselves into a frenzy.

The comedy hatred of the Germans bothers me as well - it's ok for them to want the Germans to lose (based on a war in the past that is nothing to do with football), but not ok for us to want them to lose?

It's not racism - don't mind the English, just don't like the England football team. And I might respect them a bit more if they could find their own anthem, and not hijack the British national anthem.

Rant over!

Some very good points raised and I know what you mean about the English frenzy. I do feel though that a home nation in the competition is a good thing though. Let's be honest if they won we would possibly stop hearing about 1966....yeh right.

zimbo
10th June 2010, 09:53 AM
Sorry Greig but you'll have to add me to the 'I HATE FOOTBALL' camp... :frown:

Mini Ecosse
10th June 2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry Greig but you'll have to add me to the 'I HATE FOOTBALL' camp... :frown:

Ditto

The Dogfather
10th June 2010, 10:11 AM
The frenzy happens in all countries that qualify, it's just patriotism, not a dig just an observation having been on holiday in Spain during a world cup.

As for the national anthem, there is only one official anthem for all the UK nations. As far as I know 'Flower of Scotland' isn't official (yet).

Can I also add that the rivalry between England and German has more to do with recent competitive results at European and World Cup finals than the war despite what the gutter press print.

We beat the Germans in 1966 but since then they've beaten us in 1970 (QF), 1990 (SF), 1996 (Euros), twice on penalties.

Mon the fish
10th June 2010, 10:50 AM
As for the national anthem, there is only one official anthem for all the UK nations. As far as I know 'Flower of Scotland' isn't official (yet).

That's my point - the perceived arrogance of adopting the UK anthem for England. Scotland, Wales have found their own, why can't England? Leave the UK anthem for UK sports (Olympics etc)

The Dogfather
10th June 2010, 11:22 AM
Please explain how using our official national anthem is arrogance?

Scotland and Wales have chosen to use unofficial anthems to emphasise their own national identity.

edit: you might also want to have word with the Kiwis as well, they have two anthems one of which is God save the Queen

The Dogfather
10th June 2010, 12:27 PM
also those pesky Canadians have been using it unofficially as well :hand:

gauldrymini
10th June 2010, 12:30 PM
Greig

I think football is :thumbs up: and am also looking forward to the World Cup. I have a certain wager with a Mr William Hill that England will win, but their current form suggests this will be difficult...

Also have the might forces of Nigeria and Japan :sheep: in the work sweepie...

Andrew

Mon the fish
10th June 2010, 12:36 PM
It's Britain's national anthem, not England's. Therefore it shouldn't be used. It blurs the lines between Britain and England, like UJ's with England on them.

I just think they should get their own, and not use the collective UK anthem.

Fairy
10th June 2010, 02:25 PM
Just had a sweepie in work and have ended up with Mexico + Switzerland =(

Gismo
10th June 2010, 02:28 PM
One good thing about being in the USA is i am missing all the hype.............................................. ...but, i'm kinda missing it cause it adds to the build up for the event.
Over here is nada, zilch, a wee programme to be aired tonight and thats it, straight into the games tomorrow starting more or less immediately before kick off, so, will be interesting to see how many adverts are squeezed into half time

GCA3N
10th June 2010, 03:39 PM
Just had a sweepie in work and have ended up with Mexico + Switzerland =(

We did one too I got Brazil and Argentina how Jammy was that.

GCA3N
10th June 2010, 03:40 PM
Greig

I think football is :thumbs up: and am also looking forward to the World Cup. I have a certain wager with a Mr William Hill that England will win, but their current form suggests this will be difficult...

Also have the might forces of Nigeria and Japan :sheep: in the work sweepie...

Andrew

Thank you andrew. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
11th June 2010, 03:20 PM
Kick off at last mo'n the south African's.

euan
11th June 2010, 06:39 PM
Argentina - Diego is still flying as he leaves out Cambiasso but picks a player in Argentina in the 1st div from a team who finished very low down. Madness. But then they might just sneak it, I saw them at the last WC when they stuffed Serbia and were simply awesome.

Brazil won't win, they also struggled in qualifying, for all the riches they have they're lacking a bit of depth.

England will get out of the group but not much further - they just aren't as good as they think they are.

Spain may struggle as Torres is coming back from injury, and Xavi (the real star of that team) is nursing one too, if he's not out? Still would like to see them do well as they play football the right way.

As for my other tips - some of the african teams could do well. Ivory Coast if Drogba makes it (even with Sven at the helm!)

I'm just very excited by it, but those hooters will do my nut in!

gauldrymini
11th June 2010, 06:41 PM
1-1 not too bad... S Africa could have nicked it but :sheep: the lad hit the post late on...

now the evening game with a couple of Bulmers :beer:

should have taken all next week off to watch the footy though:frown::frown:

GCA3N
11th June 2010, 07:14 PM
I am off till 1st July so gonna watch every group match ya dancer

Scottie
12th June 2010, 09:00 PM
I have a problem with the World Cup coverage already and it's

Adrian Chiles I do not like that guy is e a football guy????? can ITV not get someone better to host their show.

GCA3N
12th June 2010, 09:21 PM
I have a problem with the World Cup coverage already and it's

Adrian Chiles I do not like that guy is e a football guy????? can ITV not get someone better to host their show.

1000,000,000% aggree he is a twat beyond belief. Also today's commentry on the Argentina game that Mick McCarthy what an idiot I actually wanted to turn the volume off.

Scottie
12th June 2010, 09:31 PM
The game was on the TV as I done my ironing I know not alot about football but I felt really sorry for Green was such a bad goal. I thought England played well but Rooney was to late coming in to the game first half I never heard his name mentioned once it sounded to me like America played better than what you would think listening to the commentators.

Gismo
12th June 2010, 09:52 PM
England were very poor, felt sorry for Green and hope it doesn't cost him his place in teh next game.
Why do so many England managers continually pick Heskey, he's useless

Sheilz
12th June 2010, 10:15 PM
I am supporting ABE for this tournament. It was wonderful driving through town tonight - hardly a man in sight.
The English commentators stick in my craw. 1966 - it wasn't even a goal. The English anthem isn't mine and never will be. They could sing Baa Baa Black sheep for all I care, as long as their happy with it and find a collective identity it doesn't really matter what the Celtic nations think.
I think it would be cool if an African nation won. I'm going to support one of them. Might watch some of the matches but football doesn't thrill me. Now if it was rugby that would be an entirely different story. Unfortunately the ned identity associated with football turns a lot of people off. Shocking example was the crowds ignoring the minute silence asked in respect of Nelson Mandela's granddaughter killed on her way home from the opening ceremony. Doesn't matter where the football it just seems to attract a really undesirable element.

GCA3N
12th June 2010, 10:28 PM
England were very poor, felt sorry for Green and hope it doesn't cost him his place in teh next game.
Why do so many England managers continually pick Heskey, he's useless

I must have watched a different game from
u I thought heskey had a good game in fact one of englands better players.

The Dogfather
12th June 2010, 10:30 PM
Heskey had a great game, he was meant to be the player who held the ball up for others, and he did just that for Gerrard's goal. His only weakness is his lack of goals but if he helps create them as he did tonight he's worth his place in the team. However I think Peter Crouch is a better link up player, his plus point being he also scores goals.

Gerrard, Lampard, Lennon, Johnson and Carragher all had good games, Rooney, however was well below par.

I watched the whole match and 1966 was mentioned once and that was in relation to previous first games at the finals, they mentioned 1990 and 2002 at the same time.....

GCA3N
12th June 2010, 10:35 PM
Paul I thought all in all it wasn't the worst English performance and stool think you will win the group. I agree that crouch is probably the better choice but heskey did well to warrant another start. The yanks are a decent side but England will have to raise their game ic they want to progressuch further than the last 16.

The Dogfather
12th June 2010, 10:39 PM
It was better than the warm up games but there's always room for improvement.

USA are actually a reasonable side, they beat Spain and were leading against Brazil in the confederation cup final. I wouldn't mind seeing Donovan playing on the red side of merseyside, very good player.

Sheilz
12th June 2010, 10:40 PM
I watched the whole match and 1966 was mentioned once and that was in relation to previous first games at the finals, they mentioned 1990 and 2002 at the same time.....

Nae ahin time that they stopped banging on about that. Maybe the commentators have been given some cognitive behavioural treatment. I think though that most folk have enough wits to work out that its the media constantly harping on about 1966 that really p*sses people off and pushes the Celtic fringe into the ABE camp. Now of course that that winning goal has allegedly been found to have not gone over the line at all the press and commentators might stop shoving it down folks throats as much as they have done.

The Dogfather
12th June 2010, 10:45 PM
Now of course that that winning goal has allegedly been found to have not gone over the line at all the press and commentators might stop shoving it down folks throats as much as they have done.

We won 4-2 so it doesn't make any difference if you take that one goal away :p

The Dogfather
12th June 2010, 10:53 PM
Anyone else think that ITV are hopeless?

I was watching in HD and it switched over to adverts at the moment the goal was scored, luckily I caught the replays but I sure they did that in a Champions League game as well.

Scottie
12th June 2010, 11:02 PM
Heskey had a great game

As I said I don't know a whole bunch about fitbae but form watching and taking a interest in the game this evening I honestly thought Heskey played well but he is not a 90 minute player. Too old you could see near the end he was tired and I think that's why Crouch came on.

I would play Rooney up front on his own with gerrard just off him.

GCA3N
12th June 2010, 11:08 PM
Heskeys only 32 but aggree on one thing gerrard off rooney up front. I watched Liverpool play this with torres and it worked well.

The Dogfather
12th June 2010, 11:12 PM
Nah, Gerrard is more effective as an attacking midfielder despite what Rafa thought.

However its not possible to accommodate that role in the current England setup so Lampard and Gerrard alternate. I'd drop Lampard for Barry though.

Scottie
12th June 2010, 11:12 PM
Heskeys only 32 but aggree on one thing gerrard off rooney up front. I watched Liverpool play this with torres and it worked well.

only 32 is 32 not old for international football. Watching BBC the now and they agree with me Gerrard just behind Rooney leaving Lampard in the midfield.

GCA3N
13th June 2010, 07:46 AM
only 32 is 32 not old for international football. Watching BBC the now and they agree with me Gerrard just behind Rooney leaving Lampard in the midfield.

Like i said I agree with your gerrard role, but 32 I would suggest is not ancient in the world of football nowadays.

euan
13th June 2010, 09:18 AM
Like i said I agree with your gerrard role, but 32 I would suggest is not ancient in the world of football nowadays.

It's not that old in football these days, but that really depends on a players history - injury history, how they eat, train etc. Some players have no legs at 32 - Henry would be one. The skill is still there, but he can't last a full 90 and his pace isn't quite there. That's not to say he isn't still exceptional, just not the player he was.

I thought England looked ok going forward, but poor width and a bit sketchy at the back. Lennon had no end product, seemed scared to take people on, every time he cut back in and passed to Stevie G.

Mon the fish
14th June 2010, 07:38 AM
Sometimes I can't understand how Scottish 'keepers have a poor reputation in general down south, yet we continuously see errors from england 'keepers. What england would give for Craigie Gordon...

In saying that, I hate how the english media always has to have a scapegoat - whether it's Beckham, Rooney, the ref or the goalie. Yes, it was an error. But england could have scored 3 in the second half. I would be looking at the strikers personally, and the chances they missed. America's defence was poor, and should have been ripped apart. England played well, but for some reason just couldn't score.

GCA3N
14th June 2010, 07:46 AM
Sometimes I can't understand how Scottish 'keepers have a poor reputation in general down south, yet we continuously see errors from england 'keepers. What england would give for Craigie Gordon...

In saying that, I hate how the english media always has to have a scapegoat - whether it's Beckham, Rooney, the ref or the goalie. Yes, it was an error. But england could have scored 3 in the second half. I would be looking at the strikers personally, and the chances they missed. America's defence was poor, and should have been ripped apart. England played well, but for some reason just couldn't score.

Agree there Heskey missed a sitter which cost England a goal but nothing is said, unfortunately Keepers don't have the luxury of being allowed to make mistakes, as they tend to end up with a goal.

Stewart
14th June 2010, 10:32 AM
Well I watched the England game and German and enjoyed them. Something in me gets excited about there games although I can’t say I’m supporting them. I think it just might be to see the disappointment on those TV commentators faces. :smilewinkgrin:

gauldrymini
14th June 2010, 10:47 AM
Seen a few games of the WC 2010 and so far I think the overall quality has been quite poor, apart from the usual suspects especially GERMANY:yes nod:...

England should have won but didn't and may live to regret it:hand:...

euan
15th June 2010, 12:12 PM
There have been some good games, and some pretty poor ones. Two good ones today, Portugal and Brazil both playing.

Tell you what though, Algeria and Greece are really quite woeful...

gauldrymini
15th June 2010, 12:16 PM
There have been some good games, and some pretty poor ones. Two good ones today, Portugal and Brazil both playing.

Tell you what though, Algeria and Greece are really quite woeful...

Looking forward to see North Korea v Brazil...:thumbs up:

must agree :yes nod: Greece were especially poor...

stoney
15th June 2010, 04:44 PM
only good thing about the world cup is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxWX1yGcsHQ

Craig
15th June 2010, 05:46 PM
Got my Slovenian and Algerians flags thro today ;)

bring on fri !!! :thumbs up:

stoney
15th June 2010, 06:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIDu5LgTalI&feature=fvst

N16SHP
15th June 2010, 11:05 PM
Well I just pulled Brazil out of the hat at work in the sweeper. Got to fancy them to finish at least 3rd, therefore getting my money back!!

Big Gordy
16th June 2010, 07:56 AM
Brazil v Korea game last night was no bad:thumbs up: Brazils first goal was a stoater:yes nod: How did he manage to get it in from that angle..??...even the wee Korean goalkeeper applauded it:smilewinkgrin:

Delboy
16th June 2010, 08:18 AM
Brazil v Korea game last night was no bad:thumbs up: Brazils first goal was a stoater:yes nod: How did he manage to get it in from that angle..??

Because it was a fluke and he was trying to cross the ball :lol:

The Dogfather
16th June 2010, 08:48 AM
last nights game was the first decent game so far

Stewart
16th June 2010, 09:57 AM
I'm going to try and watch some of the the Spain Game today.

Man City must think WTF with Robinho, what a great player when he can be arsed....................

euan
16th June 2010, 10:24 AM
Robinho looked a lot fitter than he was at City, plus he has a lot of better players around him in the Brazil side, but yes, what a difference.

I enjoyed the Brazil game, though the Ivory Coast v Portugal game was dull. I suspect Portugal may struggle to get a breakthrough against the North Koreans, Drogba will flatten them though!

Looking forward to seeing Spain though.

Delboy
16th June 2010, 10:29 AM
Looking forward to seeing Spain though.

Me too, in The Sports Cafe in Glasgow city centre.........it's a work thing :Whistle:

Gismo
16th June 2010, 02:39 PM
last nights game was the first decent game so farAgreed :clap:

gauldrymini
16th June 2010, 02:43 PM
Agreed :clap:

2nd that...:yes nod:

Gismo
16th June 2010, 03:34 PM
Nice to see the Spaniards using their usual cheating diving tactics, 25 minutes into the game.
Ok, let's be clear on what i mean, Iniesta, faked a facial injury and collapsed as though sniped from the stand and then a nice dive under miniscule pressure albeit it was a foul.
What ever happened to the killer striker instinct of desire to score by standing on your feet and actually trying to "ride" tackles and then score.
Let's hope the rest of the game uncovers their true skill and ability for their play and not their cheating

Burple
16th June 2010, 04:47 PM
It's not like it so far... :laugh::frown:

The Dogfather
16th June 2010, 05:39 PM
I missed the game but it sounded like the Chilean's played well, mind you it was only Honduras

euan
17th June 2010, 08:51 AM
Urugary could soon be my outside bet if they keep playing like this. Forlan looks like a man possessed at the moment!

I've still got money on the Germans and the Dutch though.

Stewart
17th June 2010, 10:41 AM
Forlan won that game last night, You could just see he was enjoying it. pity he had to wait six minutes to take that pen....:ragin:

euan
17th June 2010, 12:41 PM
Forlan won that game last night, You could just see he was enjoying it. pity he had to wait six minutes to take that pen....:ragin:

Aye, and then smashed it perfectly! Shows the concentration level he had, and the confidence in hos own ability. Image if he'd pleayed with that kind of form at United, he'd have been a quality player!

Delboy
18th June 2010, 09:11 AM
:algeriaflag: Thought I'd take the opportunity of using the Algerian flag in a post today :smilewinkgrin:.

GCA3N
18th June 2010, 09:14 AM
....drat just beat me too it, got to admit the competition is better with England in it, so gonna start something controversial Mo'n ENGLAND.....(Runs away in fear of linching)

Stewart
18th June 2010, 09:28 AM
I know what your saying a part of me wants them to stay in the competition but I don’t think they deserve to win on out right talent on the field. I was right behind Mexico last night after the lazy effort from France that should not even be there….

Wait we have an Algerian flag :thumbs up: :algeriaflag:

As the song says "Wave your Flag"

Rooooony to score in the 15th but to poor defending Algeria to level on the 76th minute to produce the draw. 1-1:smilewinkgrin:

Delboy
18th June 2010, 10:23 AM
Rooooony to score in the 15th but to poor defending Algeria to level on the 76th minute to produce the draw. 1-1:smilewinkgrin:

Poor defending? With Madjid Bougherra playing? Never :hand: :smilewinkgrin: :algeriaflag:

GCA3N
18th June 2010, 10:39 AM
2-1 England.

Craig
18th June 2010, 04:16 PM
Got my flags flying in the garage ready for the game tonight... got all the bases covered.... USA, Algeria & Slovenia.... :yes nod:

Gismo
18th June 2010, 04:30 PM
Got my flags flying in the garage ready for the game tonight... got all the bases covered.... USA, Algeria & Slovenia.... :yes nod:Am watching a good game the now, USA v Slovenia, interesting result making the group very hard to judge

Craig
18th June 2010, 04:32 PM
Am watching a good game the now, USA v Slovenia, interesting result making the group very hard to judge

not had a chance to get near the telly today :rolleyes:

Gismo
18th June 2010, 04:32 PM
Spain and Germany both beaten as well

Scottie
18th June 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm not happy that germany were beaten.

Gismo
18th June 2010, 05:50 PM
Shocking referee decision robbed the USA of a win :frown:

GCA3N
18th June 2010, 09:08 PM
England are shocking what a woeful performance, world cup winners aye right. Don't even start me on heskey dear oh dear.

The Dogfather
18th June 2010, 09:16 PM
England are shocking what a woeful performance, world cup winners aye right. Don't even start me on heskey dear oh dear.

Can't argue with any of that shocking performance to a man. Might as well book the flights home now. Well pee'd off

GCA3N
18th June 2010, 09:30 PM
I'm not English and I'm ragin been looking forward to this game all week and this was sh1t I mean this was second division in Scotland football...at best. Capello needs to change the formation and listen to his players.
Everyone seemed nervous for some reason Rooney was dire, gerrard too. I think your right prediction draw last game, England go home.

gauldrymini
18th June 2010, 09:37 PM
I reckon Mr William Hill will be "laughing all the way to the bank":oops:...with my wager on England to win the cup:thud:

A performance to make you wince...oh dear!:hand:

GCA3N
18th June 2010, 09:38 PM
I reckon Mr William Hill will be "laughing all the way to the bank":oops:...with my wager on England to win the cup:thud:

A performance to make you wince...oh dear!:hand:

Pmsl too right. I have a tenner on Argentina and have them in the works sweep.

Scottie
18th June 2010, 09:52 PM
I think England will go through and then improve go right to the semi if not the final then we will see. I wouldn't right them off just yet.

GCA3N
18th June 2010, 10:00 PM
I think England will go through and then improve go right to the semi if not the final then we will see. I wouldn't right them off just yet.

I'll bet you a tenner they don't get to the semi's.

Scottie
18th June 2010, 10:14 PM
here is a question for you.

Do you think Alex Ferguson will phone Rooney and tell him to get his act in to gear. Alex is bound to be annoyed with his boys performance

Delboy
18th June 2010, 10:16 PM
Shocking referee decision robbed the USA of a win :frown:

Yes, total joke :argh:. And it was our man Edu that "scored" too :ragin:.

As for England, what a terrible performance. Rooney had the cheek to complain (to the camera) about the fans booing as he walked off at the end.

Bring on Slovenia :sloveniaflag: :smilewinkgrin:.

illegalhunter
18th June 2010, 10:20 PM
Could it get any better if Englund got pumped out in the 1st round

The Dogfather
18th June 2010, 11:43 PM
I'm not English and I'm ragin been looking forward to this game all week and this was sh1t I mean this was second division in Scotland football...at best. Capello needs to change the formation and listen to his players.
Everyone seemed nervous for some reason Rooney was dire, gerrard too. I think your right prediction draw last game, England go home.

Rooney has been dire both games, Gerrard was played out of position for Barry, Heskey was hopeless.

If you are going to play Barry then either drop Lampard and play Barry alongside Gerrard or drop Heskey and play Gerrard behind Rooney. However, Barry for me was out of practice and shouldn't have been on the pitch.

My team for Wednesday on the basis England need a win

.....................Hart
Johnson, Dawson/Upson, Terry, Cole
Wright-Philips, Barry, Gerrard, Cole
.................Crouch, Defoe

N16SHP
19th June 2010, 08:53 AM
here is a question for you.

Do you think Alex Ferguson will phone Rooney and tell him to get his act in to gear. Alex is bound to be annoyed with his boys performance

No, he'll be on the phone to the Glazers pleading with them not to sell him to Real Madrid for £80m to help the Glazers debts....you heard it here first! All I'm gonna say is Rooney is not worth £80m!

N16SHP
19th June 2010, 08:55 AM

I recon they are playing so poorly because they have yet to play against quality opposition. You tend to find this in all sport that a team will raise its game when playing against a better team, and drop its standards when playing against a poorer team. The annoying thing is, if England beat Slovenia on Wednesday night, and USA draw with Algeria, then England will top the group :(

The best we can hope for is another England draw, and a USA win and then we can go and greet the players at Heathrow on Thursday :D :D :D :D

Stewart
19th June 2010, 09:36 AM
My team for Wednesday on the basis England need a win

.....................Hart
Johnson, Dawson/Upson, Terry, Cole
Wright-Philips, Barry, Gerrard, Cole
.................Crouch, Defoe

I think he’ll stick with his no1, I don’t give Joe much chance as well of starting. As for Roooney he’ll start. But your starting eleven might do better than his......

Sheilz
19th June 2010, 11:04 AM
Could it get any better if Englund got pumped out in the 1st round

Tsk! Tsk! :Whistle:

N16SHP
19th June 2010, 04:20 PM
I'd go with
--------------James

Johnson Upson Carrager Cole

W-Phillips Lampard Barry Cole

--------------Gerrard

--------------Rooney

Rooney playing in his Man United role on his own up front, and that way you have Gerrard running on with his finishing too! And if thats not working bring on Crouch and Defoe and play a straight 4-4-2!

Gismo
19th June 2010, 04:52 PM
I reckon Rooney is doing a great job of covering up an injury, no way he can be that poor, even his ball control is sloppy

euan
19th June 2010, 06:55 PM
I reckon Rooney is doing a great job of covering up an injury, no way he can be that poor, even his ball control is sloppy

Agreed, he doesn't look fit. Having watched him a lot last season he wasn't closing down the way he does at Utd, and it's not like him not to do that unless he isn't fit. Why on earth Joe Cole hasn't played at all I'll never know.

The Dutch looked quite good today, did enough but could have scored more, and great display in the Australia Ghana game.

Gismo
22nd June 2010, 03:36 PM
Just caught up with the France Teams actions this week, what an absolute disgrace to Football.
Since they cheated to get into the competition in the first place i really hope they are even more proud of themselves.
Anelka, wtf, what planet is he on, over inflated ego, over paid, does he not realise it's a team game, eejit.

I certainly have no sympathy for them at all

Delboy
22nd June 2010, 04:07 PM
Just caught up with the France Teams actions this week, what an absolute disgrace to Football.
Since they cheated to get into the competition in the first place i really hope they are even more proud of themselves.
Anelka, wtf, what planet is he on, over inflated ego, over paid, does he not realise it's a team game, eejit.

I certainly have no sympathy for them at all

Well they are getting pumped 2-0 by South Africa and are down to 10 men so it looks like an early flight home for them :clap:.

Delboy
23rd June 2010, 02:14 PM
Not be long to the England game now - wish I was going to the pub to watch it rather than being stuck in the office :argh:.

Come on Slovenia! :clap: :sloveniaflag:

GCA3N
23rd June 2010, 02:34 PM
Oh yes well father in law is round to watch it, come on England!!!!!!:thud:

Gismo
23rd June 2010, 02:35 PM
I'm managing to watch this before i begin my epic work travel

Gismo
23rd June 2010, 03:50 PM
At last they are playing half decent, obviously have a good chance to go through now

euan
23rd June 2010, 04:10 PM
At last they are playing half decent, obviously have a good chance to go through now

Yeah, they're playing much better. Fast, aggressive, playing to win. About time really.

The really mad thing is that as it stands they'll still win the group!

Gismo
23rd June 2010, 04:56 PM
And a brilliant finish for my other adopted team, USA all the way :lol:

Scottie
23rd June 2010, 06:05 PM
who do England play now? will it be Germany??

Stewart
23rd June 2010, 06:28 PM
Yes if they top the group tonight.

The Dogfather
23rd June 2010, 06:37 PM
I'd rather play the Germans sooner rather than later.

The team still looked nervous and they can still, and need to raise their game, especially Barry, playing the Germans would do that I think.

GCA3N
23rd June 2010, 06:43 PM
who do England play now? will it be Germany??

They will play the winner of the Ghana/Germany game, it could also be Serbia too.

gauldrymini
23rd June 2010, 08:26 PM
...phew my England wager is still on:clap:

Scottie
23rd June 2010, 09:36 PM
well I see the media have England winning the world cup and according to Kevin Keegan England will beat Germany no problem. Well I'm glad that's all sorted then saves me from watching the rest of the games.

Stewart
23rd June 2010, 09:38 PM
Sunday should be good.................................:thumbs up:

euan
24th June 2010, 11:10 AM
I suspect they'll beat the Germans. And then get humped by Argentina. Dawson against Messi? Not a chance.

gauldrymini
24th June 2010, 11:12 AM
I suspect they'll beat the Germans. And then get humped by Argentina. Dawson against Messi? Not a chance.

...think you are right here Euan...

GCA3N
24th June 2010, 03:55 PM
I suspect they'll beat the Germans. .

can't see it if i'm honest.

Delboy
26th June 2010, 08:57 PM
Come on USA - watching it just now, hope they can get the winner :yes nod:.

:usaflag:

The Dogfather
26th June 2010, 09:38 PM
Come on Ghana, I want there to be an African team in the quarters

Gismo
26th June 2010, 09:59 PM
Come on Ghana, I want there to be an African team in the quartersHappy to see an African team there, but not at the expense of my adopted team :ragin:

GCA3N
26th June 2010, 09:59 PM
Come on Ghana, I want there to be an African team in the quarters

100% agree plus hate the yanks. Well don't like them. Lol

Gismo
26th June 2010, 10:05 PM
100% agree plus hate the yanks. Well don't like them. LolThat's a bit harsh :moonie:

GCA3N
26th June 2010, 10:14 PM
That's a bit harsh :moonie:

Don't like what they do as a nation etc not Americans per say. Hey this is a whole different argument though.

Delboy
26th June 2010, 10:16 PM
100% agree plus hate the yanks. Well don't like them. Lol

Jings, not very "pc" Greig :hand:.

GCA3N
26th June 2010, 10:19 PM
Jings, not very "pc" Greig :hand:.

Yeh your right need to stop using nms when I've had a drink :lol:

Delboy
26th June 2010, 10:21 PM
Yeh your right need to stop using nms when I've had a drink :lol:

:laugh:

Just don't mention the war tomorrow....... :lol:

GCA3N
26th June 2010, 10:21 PM
Anyway back on topic. M'on the english for tomorrow. Personally I think they'll go out but who knows.

Gismo
26th June 2010, 10:24 PM
Anyway back on topicYour in the off topic and banter forums

The Dogfather
26th June 2010, 10:34 PM
He's lost his bearings someone point him back to the bar...

Same to see the USA team go out as they have some familiar faces and that player Altidore could have been Heskey in disguise, he was useless in front of goal but very strong and held the ball up well

N16SHP
27th June 2010, 12:32 PM
Well, im gonna say this and then explain why...MON THE GERMANS!! Purely because I like the English football team, we watch them week in week out in the premiership, what I cannot stand is the English media! That's what annoys me about the England World Cup campaign. You cannot watch one match without a reference to either the England football team or '66! So for that, MON THE GERMANY! lol! Once England goes out, we can all watch the rest of the World Cup in peace!

(Having said that, I can see an England win today:thud:)

GCA3N
27th June 2010, 12:49 PM
Well, im gonna say this and then explain why...MON THE GERMANS!! Purely because I like the English football team, we watch them week in week out in the premiership, what I cannot stand is the English media! That's what annoys me about the England World Cup campaign. You cannot watch one match without a reference to either the England football team or '66! So for that, MON THE GERMANY! lol! Once England goes out, we can all watch the rest of the World Cup in peace!

(Having said that, I can see an England win today:thud:)

I can understand how u feel but it's against the real auld enemy it's Germany man. Engerland.....engerland....na na na na na na na na .......... :lol:

GCA3N
27th June 2010, 03:51 PM
What a game so far but that goal line decision beggars belief.

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 03:58 PM
The ref is an embarrassment, however the Germans could be so far ahead we'd have been out it even with the goal.

It's a great game though.

Rooney should be off for 2 metre Peter.

Doug_m
27th June 2010, 03:59 PM
Quite pathetic decision from the ref!
We aren't gonna here the end of this tho! Haha

Delboy
27th June 2010, 04:01 PM
Very entertaining game! Terrible decision for the Lampard "goal" but Germans look awesome - think they'll score another couple in the second half.

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 04:07 PM
Very entertaining game! Terrible decision for the Lampard "goal" but Germans look awesome - think they'll score another couple in the second half.

The Germans aren't awesome, our defence has been dreadful. It's probably the wake up We needed

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 04:11 PM
The Germans aren't awesome, our defence has been dreadful.

Excluding James

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 04:25 PM
It's goodnight Vienna now, capello should have put Carragher on

Doug_m
27th June 2010, 04:32 PM
Germany are clearly the better team.
Where's englands defence or strikers for that matter :lol:

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 04:35 PM
Germany are clearly the better team.
Where's englands defence or strikers for that matter :lol:

The defenders are attacking and the attackers are defending.

Delboy
27th June 2010, 04:38 PM
The Germans aren't awesome, our defence has been dreadful. It's probably the wake up We needed

Wrong! The Germans have been awesome, punishing England with two world class break away goals. Yes, England's defence has been bad but that doesn't detract from Germany's performance - it could have been 6 or 7 for Germany!

Scottie
27th June 2010, 04:45 PM
all I can say when you think of the players England have they should never be in this position simply as that, I don't know what the answer is for them but they really need to have a re think, honestly they should have coasted to the final.

Doug_m
27th June 2010, 04:45 PM
Heard there's a cheap sale of England shirts
20pence a pop. Anyone for?

RyanK
27th June 2010, 04:48 PM
England have a new coach! It will be picking them up from Heathrow on Monday

Delboy
27th June 2010, 04:51 PM
all I can say when you think of the players England have they should never be in this position simply as that, I don't know what the answer is for them but they really need to have a re think, honestly they should have coasted to the final.

Eh? What you been drinking? :lol:

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 04:55 PM

There's too many individuals and no team, man for man the German players aren't as good as the English but you look how they played. The Germans played as team the English played as a collection of individuals.

The manager's decision to play Gerrard on the left and the defenders were shocking.

GCA3N
27th June 2010, 04:59 PM
Deserved win for the Germans shocking display by England. The whole tournament was a disgrace over paid over hyped team of average players.

gauldrymini
27th June 2010, 05:04 PM
...opens bin lid...puts in betting slip...together with England's dream and Fabio's contract:yes nod:

Scottie
27th June 2010, 05:15 PM
how gutted did Alan Shearer look afterwards. I reckon our boys could have done better.

Loved the ending of the BBC show where it showed the 1966 goal then todays game with ball going over the line. Ha Ha it's taking how many years for it to come back and bite them in the @rse.LOL

Stewart
27th June 2010, 05:18 PM
I enjoyed that, entertaining game. Podolski and Mueller,Schweinsteiger and Lahm are just going to get better and better that’s a young German team with some great players that might not be world class AKA “Messi” yet but a few will become that class.

England problems at the back with comical defending and a Manager that is too stubborn to realise Gerrard could support Roooney but then again Roooney looked unfit all tournament.

I did not like to see a good goal chalked off because we cant get a system in place to know if the ball crosses the line. If that was an O .F Game that cost one side the title due to that decision there would have been riots.

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 05:39 PM
how gutted did Alan Shearer look afterwards. I reckon our boys could have done better.

Loved the ending of the BBC show where it showed the 1966 goal then todays game with ball going over the line. Ha Ha it's taking how many years for it to come back and bite them in the @rse.LOL

Sorry but the Scottish team would struggle to beat Algeria, oh, hang on so did we :lol:

Its quite funny that a disallowed goal happened between the same two teams as the last one, mind you that last one needed a computer simulation this one was obvious. Its time for the hawkeye technology to be added to the game because it only detracts from the game.

The Germans played well as a team and they'll be a serious force to be reckoned in the future (if not this World Cup) as in the main they are a young team. On the day the better team won easily, but England didn't play to their potential and for that I'm angry with both the players and the manager.

Scottie
27th June 2010, 05:44 PM
think it's time for Team GB.

Stewart
27th June 2010, 05:54 PM
The luxury we have in Scotland is if we manage to get there, we obviously don’t expect to win it but rather ruffle a few feathers we can just enjoy it. It’s a win, win situation for us as were so pleased to be in the tournament we don’t care about anything but the fact we are there for the party. :smilewinkgrin:

Should the Media down south build up the Team the way they do – I say aye I enjoy all the expectations and patriotism, all the Flags out side the houses and on the cars. I might mock it but its all part of the fun for me being a Scot down south

How good was Collins goal in 98 against Brazil…. After that we were happy :thumbs up:

Stewart
27th June 2010, 05:56 PM

Worst thing they could ever do.

GCA3N
27th June 2010, 06:12 PM

Why what Scottish/Welsh or Irish players would make it into the team let alone the squad. The only benefit would be less ego's possibly. The English side has talent no doubt but way not as good as the press make out. I think the strangest thing is England were shocking in the first 3 games just what were u expecting in this one, especially as it was the first proper opposition they played.

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 06:13 PM
Team GB, bad idea and to be blunt it would be mainly English players apart from Craig Gordon and maybe Craig Bellamy

Mind you I do think its time for a British manager

GCA3N
27th June 2010, 06:16 PM
Team GB, bad idea and to be blunt it would be mainly English players apart from Craig Gordon and maybe Craig Bellamy

Mind you I do think its time for a British manager

....Scottish manager you mean. Lol

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 06:22 PM
I think the strangest thing is England were shocking in the first 3 games just what were u expecting in this one, especially as it was the first proper opposition they played.

I think most people thought they'd raise their game to the potential they have, I agree they aren't as good as the press make out though. There's been two players in the team that have met the grade the rest just didn't seem to turn up.

Gerrard - but wasted on the left of midfield though
Ashley Cole - most hated man in Britain a few months back but a great left back

I thought Johnson played well going forward but could have done better defending

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 06:23 PM
....Scottish manager you mean. Lol

I'd give it to Fergie or McLeish (they wouldn't do it though) but I was think more Harry Rednap

Stewart
27th June 2010, 06:59 PM
Harry Rednap would have had the squad in better shape I think. But with his 10M CL Bonus in his pocket why would he want the hassle.

Scottie
27th June 2010, 07:04 PM
I would give it to a German Manager.:hand::laugh::laugh:

I'd give it to Fergie or McLeish (they wouldn't do it though) but I was think more Harry Rednap

The Dogfather
27th June 2010, 07:11 PM
I think Rednap would want it to prove himself as a manager

Gismo
27th June 2010, 09:06 PM
I didn't manage to see the game, but, from watching all the others they played i can't understand why during the qualification games ENgland played very well but during the world cup they adopted a different strategy, almost too scared to lose instead of playing the way they can play.

JOHN MILNE
28th June 2010, 10:56 AM
If anyone is depressed over the england result there is a free phone helpine
the number is 0800 4-1 4-1 4-1 :thumbs up::laugh:

GCA3N
28th June 2010, 04:40 PM
If anyone is depressed over the england result there is a free phone helpine
the number is 0800 4-1 4-1 4-1 :thumbs up::laugh:

I've heard there flying the team into glasgow airport, so they get a warm welcome.

Scottie
28th June 2010, 06:04 PM
http://666kb.com/i/bkgpyr67f0jke5i37.jpg

GCA3N
28th June 2010, 08:13 PM
watching the brazil game on the first goal going in the commentator said, and I quote "what a great British Goal" :idunno:

Sheilz
28th June 2010, 08:20 PM

Absolutely Not! :ragin::ragin::ragin:

Gismo
28th June 2010, 09:33 PM
Hey Paul, nice post :yes nod: would have been ok methinks :Whistle:

Big Gordy
28th June 2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah Paul post was fine bud:thumbs up:
Good game the Brazil v Chile.......:yes nod:

Stewart
28th June 2010, 09:59 PM
Brazil just look like they will eat up anyone and spit them out.

Delboy
28th June 2010, 11:03 PM
Brazil just look like they will eat up anyone and spit them out.

Totally agree :yes nod:, plus I hope they do cause I've got them in the work's sweep :smilewinkgrin:.

Stewart
9th July 2010, 12:02 PM
Well its on Sunday and the most important bit is Paul the Octopus finally made his prediction!

For those who don’t know this octopus has been shown live doing draws before games and it has been 100% right for every game so far, that is amazing. You’ll see it on sky news.

Pity it could not fill out a bookies from.

SPAIN TO WIN.

Burple
9th July 2010, 02:17 PM
Well its on Sunday and the most important bit is Paul the Octopus finally made his prediction!

For those who don’t know this octopus has been shown live doing draws before games and it has been 100% right for every game so far, that is amazing. You’ll see it on sky news.

Pity it could not fill out a bookies from.

SPAIN TO WIN.

*dances* :laugh::laugh::laugh: I've got Spain in the Sweepie at work...

Guy sits next to me has Netherlands! Winner gets £50.. runner up gets £25..
I feel a Monday pub lunch coming on!! :cool::thumbs up:

GCA3N
13th July 2010, 07:33 PM
Quite fancied this but what a price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIFA-2010-WORLD-CUP-JOBULANI-OFFICIAL-FINAL-MATCH-BALL-/110557352490?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item19bdbb522a

The Dogfather
13th July 2010, 07:41 PM
wasn't there more than 1?

GCA3N
13th July 2010, 07:44 PM
wasn't there more than 1?

Yeh there would have been a few I recon.

Gismo
13th July 2010, 09:12 PM
That price is insane

Delboy
13th July 2010, 10:58 PM
I think the imfamous Nigerian bidders have been busy......:Whistle:

GCA3N
14th July 2010, 05:53 AM
I think the imfamous Nigerian bidders have been busy......:Whistle:

yeh It's ok I didn't have quite enough to make a formal bid.