PDA

View Full Version : Don't Laugh

Sheilz
8th June 2010, 06:15 PM
.......... but ACC in its infinite penny pinching wisdom has deemed that we must hire the cheapest cars possible for out of city trips. Tomorrow have to go to Selkirk and have the dubious pleasure of a 1.2 Corsa 16V 80 SXi (5 door). Has anyone been in one of these things (or brave enough to admit to it) and if so how did it handle. It has a top speed of 102 and a massive bhp of 80. Have a horrid feeling its on power par with my mother's mobility scooter - or almost! Am not overly enamoured at the prospect of driving this such a long distance, esp with Dougall at the door!

ianking
8th June 2010, 06:31 PM
My wee borother has a new Corsa 1.2 16v 3dr Design model. Its as slow as a week in the jail but once you are on the move and with the air con off its not the worst thing. Goes round the corner OK but obviously not as good as the mini.

N16SHP
8th June 2010, 06:38 PM
Speaking of Dougall, seen him all parked up on his own on Park Road today :( Well think it was Dougall!

Delboy
8th June 2010, 06:45 PM
........Tomorrow have to go to Selkirk and have the dubious pleasure of a 1.2 Corsa 16V 80 SXi (5 door). Has anyone been in one of these things (or brave enough to admit to it) and if so how did it handle. It has a top speed of 102 and a massive bhp of 80.

Rev the ass off it and you'll be fine :smilewinkgrin:.

euan
8th June 2010, 07:22 PM
Wasn't it once said that no car is faster than a hire car ;-)

Sheilz
8th June 2010, 07:30 PM
Speaking of Dougall, seen him all parked up on his own on Park Road today :( Well think it was Dougall!

Wasn't Dougall unless the wee devil's been gadding about while I was chained to my desk. If I catch him.............

There's another all red clubman appeared on the Abz scene. Woman driver about 40 ish. We 'note' each other in the passing but she doesn't look afa keen on waving. That's about five red clubbies in the city. Somebody must have a breeding programme going that's getting out of control which is a shame since one of the attractions of the motor is it's relative exclusivity - so far anyway. Reminds me of when I first got Hamish with any mini turning heads, now they're all over the place.

Sheilz
8th June 2010, 07:39 PM
My wee borother has a new Corsa 1.2 16v 3dr Design model. Its as slow as a week in the jail but once you are on the move and with the air con off its not the worst thing. Goes round the corner OK but obviously not as good as the mini.

That's it isn't it. These cars are designed for new drivers or for tootling around town. I don't think anyone in their right minds would chose it for long distances. Am so tempted to take my own car and to tell the dept where to shove their 1.2 corsa. Previously we've at least been given the option of engine size. Not enthused at all with having to drive a strange car with next to nothing power and exactly four hours to get from Abz to Selkirk. Fingers crossed that there's no delays in Dundee or the Edinburgh by-pass!

KenL
8th June 2010, 08:28 PM
The new Corsa looks OK to me.

Give it a fair chance, you never know, you might trade your MINI against one :hand:

Sheilz
8th June 2010, 09:45 PM
LOL

Just been for a test drive to Asda to try and get a feel for the car. Couldn't get rear wiper blade to work and I thought I'd put on the headlights but on reaching home discovered I hadn't. Heaven alone knows how the damned things work! This one is defo not for me. Someone somewhere will love it but personally wouldn't go to Stonehaven in it never mind Selkirk. Now off to the petrol station to give Dougall a 'hearty meal'. I'm too old to want to feel unsafe and to be uncomfortable for hours on end.

Mon the fish
9th June 2010, 08:06 AM
My first car was a W-reg Corsa 1.2, I used to drive from Stirling to Surrey once a month in it, non-stop. A bit unrefined at a steady 5000rpm on the M6, but not a bad wee car. Thrashed it mercilessly for 36000 miles, and not one problem. The engine is ok for its size, more power than I thought it would have.

Wouldn't want to have been in a crash in one mind...

N16SHP
9th June 2010, 12:04 PM
Wasn't Dougall unless the wee devil's been gadding about while I was chained to my desk. If I catch him.............

There's another all red clubman appeared on the Abz scene. Woman driver about 40 ish. We 'note' each other in the passing but she doesn't look afa keen on waving. That's about five red clubbies in the city. Somebody must have a breeding programme going that's getting out of control which is a shame since one of the attractions of the motor is it's relative exclusivity - so far anyway. Reminds me of when I first got Hamish with any mini turning heads, now they're all over the place.

Well unless it also has a pillar with Dougall written on it, and a Scotland flag on the roof lol....a'l correct what I said, it was actually Seaforth Road not Park Road at about 12:30 yesterday!

Kren__
9th June 2010, 12:43 PM
Next time get them to get you the 1.4; it makes a huge difference to the Corsa's motorway abilities. My wife has the 1.4 and I've driven it down to Poole (South coast of Englandshire) and back a few times with no issues. Comfy enough (for a small car), plenty of space (you would'nt believe the amount of stuff we've had in it before), and decent on fuel. The SXi is also pretty chuckable through the twisty stuff (it has a different suspension set up to the Design, Club etc...).

It's no MINI but it's pretty decent (and I'm a Vauxhall hater). Apart from the position of the lights (you have to take your eye of the road to operate them), and the capacity of the screenwash tank (2 litres), it lasts about 5 minutes in the winter...

Sheilz
9th June 2010, 10:22 PM
Well unless it also has a pillar with Dougall written on it, and a Scotland flag on the roof lol....a'l correct what I said, it was actually Seaforth Road not Park Road at about 12:30 yesterday!

Seaforth Rd? Would that be the one that turns off King St down towards Seaton area, runs past the old Merc garage? If it was then it was me. Abz does not have enough room for two Dougalls.

Sheilz
9th June 2010, 10:32 PM
Next time get them to get you the 1.4; it makes a huge difference to the Corsa's motorway abilities. My wife has the 1.4 and I've driven it down to Poole (South coast of Englandshire) and back a few times with no issues. Comfy enough (for a small car), plenty of space (you would'nt believe the amount of stuff we've had in it before), and decent on fuel. The SXi is also pretty chuckable through the twisty stuff (it has a different suspension set up to the Design, Club etc...).

It's no MINI but it's pretty decent (and I'm a Vauxhall hater). Apart from the position of the lights (you have to take your eye of the road to operate them), and the capacity of the screenwash tank (2 litres), it lasts about 5 minutes in the winter...

I will take that back to them but tbh they don't listen and new rule is we aren't allowed to state any preference for which car we get. As I'm not employed as a driver I think its kind of wrong for my employer to expect me to spend nine hours (I think it was longer today becuase of delays on the Edinburgh by-pass) driving a car that I am unfamiliar with on equally unfamiliar roads. If I drove an old banger with hairdryer power I would look at it quite differently but I don't, and am really quite miffed at my feelings on the matter being dismissed out of hand to save the council the grand total of ten quid on the hire of a car that I at least might feel safe in. Last time I refused to go in a hired car was to Notts. Was a pretty wild dark wet morning and they landed me with a citreon zara picassa. Sh*t the damned thing wobbled every time I passed a lorry so got to Stonehaven and went back for my own car. I think I'm entitled to feel comfortable if undertaking long journeys. My colleagues feel equally put out by this.

N16SHP
9th June 2010, 11:53 PM
Seaforth Rd? Would that be the one that turns off King St down towards Seaton area, runs past the old Merc garage? If it was then it was me. Abz does not have enough room for two Dougalls.

Yep, that's the one!