PDA

View Full Version : Card Fraud

AndyP & Lenore
8th June 2010, 04:08 AM
Every time we go out to USA we get stung with card fraud.:frown: Absolutely fed up of it. Last time our Visa was cloned somehow and when our bill arrived after we got back, someone had treated themselves to a spending spree at Universal; park tickets and gift shop purchases and they also filled up their gas tank. Luckily, we were able to prove our re-entry to the UK prior to the charge dates so we weren't liable for those purchases (about $500).

This time, we used our card at car rental (they ALWAYS want to take a swipe for protection!), then at hotel (for same reason). Then literally the next day my card was declined. Didn't think much of it, so tried somewhere else the next day, declined again. So I called card company and they said they had put a block on the card because it had been used to register for an online service in the USA and they wanted to check with me first. So, luckily there is only a $2 charge on it this time - again I don't need to pay it). But, because it's been cloned they've closed the card. Luckily, we still have another one out here - but if we didn't it would be a tricky week. Card company offered to send the replacement card to the hotel, but they couldn't guarantee it would be here before we get home.:rolleyes:

But it's no wonder card fraud is so prevalent out here. Used our other card in Disney Store at Downtown Disney and they don't even check a signature - never mind chip & pin. They just swipe the card and hand the card straight back to you. Used it twice today and first time I wasn't even asked to sign a slip and second time I signed it M.Mouse - not checked.:frown:

I know in the cinema we are going through a fairly stringent card processing and handling assessment just now to make sure all our policies and procedures meet international card handling regulations. It's time they did the same in the USA - and it's time they implemented Chip & Pin out here!

I'll get down off my soapbox now and enjoy the rest of our holiday.:yes nod:

A.:D

stoney
8th June 2010, 07:38 AM
sorry to here that andy but just enjoy your trip

GCA3N
8th June 2010, 07:39 AM
Nightmare mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gismo
8th June 2010, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear this Andy, for your info, some places here in Pensacola only require your zip code to allow a card purchase, thereby the chip and pin is redundant.

Delboy
8th June 2010, 03:55 PM
That's a bummer Andy :frown:. I've been out in the States a lot over the years (I have two sister-in-laws in LA) and it always amazed me how shop assistants/waiters/etc. hardly ever looked at your signature when paying by credit card, and yet they'd always ask for ID when writing a cheque - bizarre. Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out with the credit card company though.

(I love the fact that you signed M.Mouse and they never noticed - very funny! :laugh:)

Mini Ecosse
8th June 2010, 04:27 PM
(I love the fact that you signed M.Mouse and they never noticed - very funny! :laugh:)

Name on his card is probably M.Mouse :hand:

Duncan Stewart
8th June 2010, 04:59 PM
But it's no wonder card fraud is so prevalent out here. Used our other card in Disney Store at Downtown Disney and they don't even check a signature
A.:D

I know - it amazing me how lax they are :frown:

Enjoy the rest of your holiday :cool:

AeroJonny
8th June 2010, 07:07 PM
Most places in AZ were chip and pin...the only exceptions were bars as far as i can remember. A few places actually used the paypass contactless payment method

Ferengo
8th June 2010, 11:23 PM
You would think that they would use chip and pin in the states. Sorry to hear your problem man. I've had my details used twice. Once was a credit card transaction for O2. Visa called me up to check, but neither me or Sarah have an O2 account. So cancelled and refunded within 30 days.

Second was just 2 weeks ago. Although I think this was a mistake. I went to the bank to transfer money for our holiday into our main account to buy Euros when I was told I didn't have enough. Turns out I had a direct debit for... you guessed it O2! This was my savings account that I don't even have a card for.

But it does suck when this kind of stuff happens.

dellie
9th June 2010, 04:30 AM
Were just back from the dominican, only used our card twice and both times the signature was not checked, only used the card at ocean world and the hotel and had the bank phone they day after we used the card to ensure it was transactions we had placed

Craig
9th June 2010, 09:47 AM
Not good man, my mum and dad had this the last time they were in Florida..... :frown: just lucky as you say that you had another card... Hope the rest of the holiday goes well mate :thumbs up: