PDA

View Full Version : Donations ????

monkimagic
3rd July 2004, 01:14 AM
Hi all

I have been here for awhile now, and have thourhly enjoyed my time, I have however just noticed the donations link to Paypal.

I have often wondered how this site is funded and would be more than willing to help out but how much do people pay, if some one could email me if this is a private matter.

Keeping it up

Monki

Gismo
3rd July 2004, 01:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic
Hi all
I have been here for awhile now, and have thourhly enjoyed my time, I have however just noticed the donations link to Paypal.
I have often wondered how this site is funded and would be more than willing to help out but how much do people pay, if some one could email me if this is a private matter.
A very timely reminder i must say ;) the cost of running a site like this is limitless, very time consuming for the owner but does give great pleasure, however, the question of how much to pay, in my mind is also limitless.
As in all walks of life some are more fortunate than others, some work for it and some are more lucky, but, to answer your question, i can only advise you to pay what and when you can afford it, to which maximises your enjoyment of this site and be aware of others that need your support.

There is no fixed amount, either great or small, bear in mind it's the owner who pays for all costs and i'm sure he'll agree that any amount is greatly received.

There was talk of having a collection when attending MINI runs, so, step right up folks and give something back to Calum for all the hours of enjoyment this site brings us

<steps off soapbox>

Kirsty
3rd July 2004, 04:02 AM
I never noticed the paypal thing!! How observant am I!! I would also like to donate and will have a nose and see if I can work out how to do it!! Not very computer minded me!!! I'm sure all of us would agree that this site does give us all endless hours of enjoyment and we have all met some really nice/mad people which has been great!!!
<stops being all soppy now!!>

Willie M
3rd July 2004, 07:36 AM
I doubt Monki must be psychic :eek: Strangely enough Alan and I were having this very conversation out on the golf course yesterday. There's an old sponsorship thread lying about the site somewhere and I was going to dig it up again next week. However, now that we're all here ;)

I pretty much echo what Alan's already said in his post. Donations and/or sponsorship is pretty much subjective and down to the individual. As a guide I always tend to compare it to, say a years subscription to a magazine (steady GAJ, not that type of magazine ;)). Most of us have magazines that we read on a regular basis, many even subscribe to their favourites. Personally I deem the NMS website to be of equal, if not greater value to me than a monthly magazine.

Calum's created a great little online community for us all here and he certainly doesn't make any money from the venture (I'm only guessing here but I reckon the site will actually costs him money). The site is solely funded by Calum himself, by donations from the NMS fraternity and by a little sponsorship from one or two companies from time to time.

Is NMS a club? I'm not sure I really know the right answer to that. There's certainly no membership or joining fee. There is no annual subscription to commit to. The runs and events are organised by small groups of people or individuals, generally at their own time and expense. Pretty much all of what you get round here is free.

Again it's up to you. If you feel NMS is of genuine worth then why not click on the paypal link on the homepage? Help keep our wee online community on it's feet, I'm sure Calum will appreciate your support. If you don't feel it's worth it then don't. There's no pressure.

One last thing. If you ain't got it already, you could get yourself that neat wee 'sponsor' tag under your username in all your posts ;):approve:

ny152
3rd July 2004, 07:42 AM
Whoops, never noticed that wee paypal logo either!

<trots off to check paypal balance>.

GAJ
4th July 2004, 05:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

As a guide I always tend to compare it to, say a years subscription to a magazine (steady GAJ, not that type of magazine ;)). Most of us have magazines that we read on a regular basis, many even subscribe to their favourites.

Good comparison that! I'm never going to live down that comment am I?

:I

Tahra
5th July 2004, 04:35 PM
Im sure he Wullie was meaning Autotrader Gaj, or are you going to admit to Model Railway Monthly !!!?!

Starky
5th July 2004, 09:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Goldmini

Whoops, never noticed that wee paypal logo either!

<trots off to check paypal balance>.

:eek: Ditto :I:I

Big Gordy
5th July 2004, 09:05 PM
Don't get the Model Railway guys on her started again Tahra :eek: There a right motley crew I can tell ya :p:D:approve:

Willie M
5th July 2004, 09:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Good comparison that! I'm never going to live down that comment am I?:I
Somehow Gaj, I don't think you ever will ;):D

Bazthemod
5th July 2004, 11:07 PM
Yes Tahra just u watch it! :mad: :p:I

Steve74
6th July 2004, 12:03 AM
Just felt the urge to donate after an excellent weekend and a brilliant site!

Scottie
6th July 2004, 12:48 AM
Yip me too. Nice and easy using paypal only took a few seconds.

MartinSullivan
7th July 2004, 01:31 AM
Finally done the decent thing and made a donation. This weekends Arbroath run really clinched it for me. This site has been a constant companion and reference source since I got my S, and I hope it continues to provide support, banter, meets and advice for a long time to come.

Congratulations and a big thanx to Callum, the Mods and all the members for hosting, setting up and running this wonderful site. Its a great place to be :cool:

Big Col
7th July 2004, 07:13 PM
Here! I notice there's no sponsor tag next to Calum's name! Tight git. :eek::clown::D:blackeye:

Monsta Mo Mini
7th July 2004, 07:24 PM
I would just like to thank all concerned for your recent donations towards the running of the site. Although most of my activities for the foreseeable future will be nappy dependant, I do hope to give the site a major revamp in the next wee while.

It's very reassuring to know that the groups' efforts are appreciated and how highly valued the site and community is by so many people. Saturday really brought that home to me. I was absolutely gobsmacked when we pulled up in Arbroath to be greeted by a sea of MINIs

Thanks again and see you all at Cullen!

R7 ETH
7th July 2004, 07:41 PM
Never noticed that link either !!! I was very surprised when in Dundee UGC just before the set off to Arbroath, we all got a little Red arrows sign and cable ties (i hate those things) to put on our mini's. Now those alone must have cost quite a bit to produce and organise. I hope my donation goes some way in repaying the time, effort and money spent on running such a great website and on line community.

Willie M
26th May 2005, 12:18 AM
BUMP! ;)

Was just thinking to myself, it's that time of year again ;) I'm away to top up my annual subscription :approve:

Gismo
26th May 2005, 12:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M
BUMP! ;) I'm away to top up my annual subscription :approve:
Beat you to it ;):p

Duncan Stewart
26th May 2005, 09:56 PM
Already did it at same time as I bought my new NMS sticker :approve:

Willie M
28th May 2005, 08:03 PM
Popular thread this, eh? ;):(

Craig
16th June 2005, 01:39 AM
I have just done so also after remembering all of the great runs I have been on, without this site this could not have been possible:D:D

weefossy
16th June 2005, 07:31 AM
I couldn't think why I hadn't contributed before, then I tried using paypal:( Am I the only one that finds it a pain? I remember the last time that I gave up.:clown:
Anyway, after resetting passwords etc., the jobs done and I feel much the better for it.
Keep up the good work Callum

Crombers
28th June 2005, 09:12 PM
Just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon on this subject. Having now been on 5 runs over the last year , meeting up with a fine bunch of people & enjoying this site on a daily basis , it's payback time. Will pop in a couple of times a year to do likewise and a big thanks to all you guys & gals who make this all tick :approve:

Scottie
7th December 2005, 10:26 PM
:D done:D

Smurf
7th December 2005, 11:32 PM
Did it at the weekend! :D

Gismo
9th December 2005, 08:21 PM
Finally got round to doing it today 8) Keep up the good work MMM :cool: