PDA

View Full Version : Automatic

camjay
1st June 2010, 08:22 PM
Was just reading the post about the Laurel edition mini in America and it got me thinking. Has anyone driven an automatic and how was it?

The reason I ask is that my left shoulder is absolutely gubbed and because I drive around all day as part of my job, changing up and down the gears all the time is causing me major problems! I'm not keen to change my mini and will be holding on to it for a while longer, but wondered about maybe and automatic the next time - its not something I'm keen on, but I think its going to be a necessity! What do you think? :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
1st June 2010, 08:59 PM
My left shoulder seems to be goosed as well, I'm hoping I don't have to get a moped mini as a result though. Mind you I loved the auto Omega we had.

AndyP says the new R56 gearbox is far superior to the old one so if the shoulder doesn't come good then maybe I'll have to give one a try.

Fartin Martin
1st June 2010, 09:19 PM
Just dry your eyes and get on wae it!! ha lol only jesting! :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
1st June 2010, 09:35 PM
Got a R53 JCW Auto and a R56 JCW Auto, they are both very quick to change gears (quicker than a human apparently), plus you could always use the flappy paddles if you don't like the complete auto thing.

L:D

stoney
1st June 2010, 10:16 PM
SLOW CARS :lol:

i like the auto box it runs not bad at all

but i love my gear stick :)

AeroJonny
2nd June 2010, 01:41 AM
Absolutely love the auto, makes traffic so much more bearable (not that i sit in much). The paddles etc are great for a hack around although it sometimes won't downshift when you want it to

AndyP & Lenore
2nd June 2010, 05:00 AM
Absolutely love the auto, makes traffic so much more bearable (not that i sit in much). The paddles etc are great for a hack around although it sometimes won't downshift when you want it to

I've never had that problem Jonny:confused:. It won't downshift if it would send the revs over the red-line, but otherwise our Auto is just like Lenore, it does what I tell her to do, immediately and without question.:laugh:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
2nd June 2010, 05:01 AM
Camjoay, next time we're both on a run, I'd be happy to take you out and give you a demmo of what the Auto box on an S is like.:thumbs up:

zimbo
2nd June 2010, 02:33 PM
...our Auto is just like Lenore, it does what I tell her to do, immediately and without question.:laugh:

:Whistle: I think there might be repurcussions for that comment!! ...get him Lenore :laugh:

T5LLC
2nd June 2010, 08:18 PM
I have had a couple of automatic minis when mines has been in the garage, a mini one and a cooper. There ok.. id imagine the best for an automatic would be the S. I felt it changed gear too fast and i couldnt get the car to move so used flappy paddels alot..

AndyP & Lenore
3rd June 2010, 12:31 PM
I have had a couple of automatic minis when mines has been in the garage, a mini one and a cooper. There ok.. id imagine the best for an automatic would be the S. I felt it changed gear too fast and i couldnt get the car to move so used flappy paddels alot..

Our R50 Cooper needed a bit of "encouragement" I must admit. Although that was a completely different gearbox to what is in use now. The R50's used a CVT gearbox rather than the DSG system in use nowadays.

A.

Goonerij
3rd June 2010, 01:14 PM
Got a .... R56 JCW Auto ....

Presume you have the Stage 1 JCW kit Andy rather than the Factory JCW? When we got our R56 last October, they told us the auto box was not available on the JCW .... hence we have the S :confused:

We have had the auto on both R53 and R56 .... can't understand why there are not more about .... simply awsome and a lot more fun than the manual IMO :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
4th June 2010, 04:09 AM
Presume you have the Stage 1 JCW kit Andy rather than the Factory JCW? When we got our R56 last October, they told us the auto box was not available on the JCW .... hence we have the S :confused:

We have had the auto on both R53 and R56 .... can't understand why there are not more about .... simply awsome and a lot more fun than the manual IMO :cool:

Yeah, our R56 is the initial "dealer fit" JCW kit. Goes like stink, and the auto box leaves a hand free for mobile calls/eating cheeseburgers/texting/etc., etc.:lol:

GCA3N
4th June 2010, 06:13 AM
leaves a hand free for mobile calls/eating cheeseburgers/texting/etc., etc.:lol:

:laugh:

camjay
5th June 2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the replies folks.:thumbs up:

I didn't realise mini did the flappy paddles and this is a brilliant option that I didnt' even think about! Unfortunately although I would love the JCW, financially I think this would be well out of my league. I think I could just about stretch to the S - is it much more expensive with the flappy paddle option?