PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Commute - Car or Bus?

Kren__
1st June 2010, 12:57 PM
Well my enlightened employers have recently decided to kick all of us plebs out of the car park at work and give all our spaces to management types. This gives me a dilemma. Do I continue to take the MINI in to work, parking it on the streets around my work or do I bite the bullet and start to take the bus in to work?

I live 22 miles from my work so there are upsides to taking the bus. Less miles on my car, therefore less wear and tear. Not having to deal with the idiots :knife: who seem to clog up the arteries of our road network for no purpose than to annoy the rest of us would also be a bonus.

However I'm not really a public transport kind of guy. I love driving so much that the thought of losing my daily fix frankly disturbs me. :thud: I also like the convenience of coming and going when I please and not being stuck to a timetable.

I keep putting off making a decision, so I thought I'd turn to you guys. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone got a similar dilemma? What would you do? :confused:

Delboy
1st June 2010, 01:04 PM
Taking the bus would do my nut in :frown:. I'd much prefer to use my car - you just need to find a decent parking spot then make sure you arrive early enough each day to get the same space :thumbs up:.

Mon the fish
1st June 2010, 01:18 PM
Move house!

pot007
1st June 2010, 01:33 PM
I've taken the bus to work now for 10 years.....and hate it......were the same, only the big boys get spaces these days.

Its funny to look in the garage at work though....guys earning well over £100k and driving awful motors.

The only thing good about getting the bus is you can sleep/read the paper.....

The Dogfather
1st June 2010, 01:39 PM
Cycle and get fit ;)

Kren__
1st June 2010, 03:06 PM
Taking the bus would do my nut in :frown:. I'd much prefer to use my car - you just need to find a decent parking spot then make sure you arrive early enough each day to get the same space :thumbs up:.

Aye looks like ma best option at the moment, but means a 05:45 start to get in for 06:30...

Mon the fish
Move house!

Aye did that - went the wrong way though and moved further from work, hence ma current problem... (seemed like a good idea at the time)

Pot007
The only thing good about getting the bus is you can sleep/read the paper.....

Hmm sleep, almost sold me there...

The Dogfather
Cycle and get fit

I'd probably have to get into blood doping to survive 44 miles a day...

Fairy
1st June 2010, 03:31 PM
To hell with the bus - MINI all the way!!
I drive a round trip of 70 miles a day to/from work and although the miles on the MINI are creeping their way up at an alarming pace, I dont think life would be worth living if I couldn't drive my MINI every day! just my opinion

john
1st June 2010, 03:32 PM
Where is home? and where is work? cos that makes all the difference.

stoney
1st June 2010, 03:35 PM
could not do with out my driving but i don't have a choice as have to drive for my work but i hate public transport full stop so it would be driving for me

stoney
1st June 2010, 03:38 PM
I drive a round trip of 70 miles a day to/from work and although the miles on the MINI are creeping their way up at an alarming pace, I dont think life would be worth living if I couldn't drive my MINI every day! just my opinion

lucky you i use mine 1/2 a week at the most Christine uses it every 2nd week for work so she drives it more than me :lol:

Kren__
1st June 2010, 03:42 PM

I thought I had a chunky commute...

I like your attitude - reminds me of why I bought the MINI in the first place. My RX-8 was too expensive for the daily commute so I got the MINI for some frugal fun on the way to work.

I think I'm being swayed...

Kren__
1st June 2010, 03:47 PM
On a (slightly) related note. Do people who ride the bus have their own forums? Do you think they meet up for 'runs' along their favourite bus routes? Maybe they mod themselves to stand out from other bus riders. Do they argue over to mod or not to mod? Do they have a life?

Should I start thinking about something that actually matters and get on with some work? Probably...

Fartin Martin
1st June 2010, 04:41 PM
Bus deffos for me!!:D

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!! Public Transport=Boak

...you must just be bored..cos I know you already knew the answer to this question before you even wrote it! :p

Mini Ecosse
1st June 2010, 05:24 PM
Mmmmm reserved parking places for management types.

May be worth pointing out that reserved parking places are taxable, at least they used to be.

Might be a turnaround in thinking if their are tax implications

MINI William
1st June 2010, 05:35 PM
I've got the bus to work for the past 2years now and I hate it. They are always packed, you end up sitting next to some fat sweaty bloke.

GCA3N
1st June 2010, 06:51 PM
Well I don't ahve a daily commute as I work offshore, but my company pay for a rail ticket for me at £70. Even with this I choose to drive the 400 mile round trip as I hate with a passion public transport. So I guess if it were me no chance would I take the bus car / mini all the way.

Sheilz
1st June 2010, 07:41 PM
Can't understand how anyone in Aberdeen - that's if you work in Aberdeen - can manage with public transport. Its pretty damned dire and tbh I'd rather walk than do the bus. Mind you one of my colleagues swears by it because on one particular route she can lug into all the gossip that some would rather she didn't know. When she encounters some of her former clients she's been invited to join them for a dram, or a swig - only if the driver's nae looking of course. She reckons the entertainment value compensates for the inferior and expensive service.

Ally S
1st June 2010, 10:28 PM
On a (slightly) related note. Do people who ride the bus have their own forums? Do you think they meet up for 'runs' along their favourite bus routes? Maybe they mod themselves to stand out from other bus riders. Do they argue over to mod or not to mod? Do they have a life?

Should I start thinking about something that actually matters and get on with some work? Probably...

lol - you never know.

is it just the one bus you would need to get? If I worked in the centre of Glasgow i'd get the bus.. no wait, I'd get the train and maybe drive every so often. Like i did when at Uni.

But where I work its 2 buses and takes ages. I'd say give the bus a go and make your mind up that way. If you hate it then at least you know you've tried it and will be sure of your decision.

LightningStevie
1st June 2010, 10:43 PM
Personally I do neither. I walk to work with the dog as its only a 1/4 of a mile away!

audrey
1st June 2010, 10:53 PM
Personally I do neither. I walk to work with the dog as its only a 1/4 of a mile away!

Do you take your dog to work?

LightningStevie
1st June 2010, 10:58 PM
yeah, he sleeps in his basket all day :)

pot007
2nd June 2010, 08:33 AM
I've got the bus to work for the past 2years now and I hate it. They are always packed, you end up sitting next to some fat sweaty bloke.

True.....why is it that when the bus is almost full (and only 1 seat left next to you), the fat sweaty man decides to get on.....and not the hot bimbo??

Kren__
2nd June 2010, 12:55 PM
Bus deffos for me!!:D

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!! Public Transport=Boak

...you must just be bored..cos I know you already knew the answer to this question before you even wrote it! :p

I think I'm rumbled!

Kren__
2nd June 2010, 01:04 PM
lol - you never know.

is it just the one bus you would need to get? If I worked in the centre of Glasgow i'd get the bus.. no wait, I'd get the train and maybe drive every so often. Like i did when at Uni.

But where I work its 2 buses and takes ages. I'd say give the bus a go and make your mind up that way. If you hate it then at least you know you've tried it and will be sure of your decision.

It's just the one bus - but it will take me a good 1/2 an hour each way longer going 'door to door'.

Also, an annual bus pass will cost me £1130!!

But you are right, until I try it I'll never be able to make an informed decision.

LightningStevie
2nd June 2010, 01:36 PM
Also, an annual bus pass will cost me £1130!!

But think of the savings in fuel, mileage and servicing you will have to cover that cost. Does seem an awful lot. In Edinburgh, a monthly bus pass is around 30 quid. But then, I can imagine the buses will be more expensive where you are due to the distances

Mon the fish
2nd June 2010, 01:52 PM
I wish I could take my car to work- I live above it! My Mini sits in the garage going nowhere now, really miss my driving

N16SHP
2nd June 2010, 02:13 PM

I'm the same as you, if I don't drive my Mini at least once a day, I get upset! Its definitely the Mini as I could go without driving my Fiesta for days and not care! I walk to one of my jobs, and take the car to Uni and other jobs, as you know, the transport in Aberdeen is awful. If you try and get a bus from my flat, to Uni, I kid you not, 3 will drive by and not stop as they are full before one stops to let you on, and stand facing the sweatiest person you've ever seen for 8:30am!!