PDA

View Full Version : What about cleaning a convertible hood?

gauldrymini
31st May 2010, 12:49 PM
Our R57 Cooper 'vert, should be with us very soon:yes nod:, our first ever convertible and thought I would post to get some advice regarding washing & cleaning the fabric hood...from people in the know:yes nod:

Cheers
Andrew

AndyP & Lenore
31st May 2010, 03:29 PM
Andrew, we use the stuff from "303". The King Of Shine recommended it and it works a treat.

The cleaner does a great job of getting any bird lime and volcanic ash off and the protectant - although kinda strange to apply - last for months. We applied it to the soft top of our Beemer last October and water still beads on it now.

303 Stuff on Polished Bliss (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/convertible-top-cleaners-and-protectants.html)

A.:thumbs up:

gauldrymini
31st May 2010, 06:32 PM
Cheers Andy, not that it should need much cleaning other than routine washing for a while.
I take it you just wash the hood with your normal shampoo in between using 303 stuff?

Andrew:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
31st May 2010, 06:50 PM
Cheers Andy, not that it should need much cleaning other than routine washing for a while.
I take it you just wash the hood with your normal shampoo in between using 303 stuff?

Andrew:thumbs up:

Yep. Just wash it with your regular car shampoo. And dry it the same too.

A.

Scottie
31st May 2010, 07:29 PM
when we had our cabrio I just used the AG stuff worked well.

gauldrymini
1st June 2010, 07:59 AM
Yep. Just wash it with your regular car shampoo. And dry it the same too.

A.

Andy, do you use a lambswool mitt , sponge or a brush to do your routine washing of the fabric hood on your rather nice 1 series:confused:

Andrew

AndyP & Lenore
1st June 2010, 08:38 AM
For a regular wash I just use a MF wash mit - I get the packs of these from Costco.

I have an agitator brush for doing a deep clean, but I've really only had to do that once. The car was 18 months old when we got it and although it was a BMW "show car", they hadn't given it much attention, so it needed a good scrub up with the 303 cleanser and then protectant to get it into a good state.

I would imagine yours will be in top class from delivery cos it's brand new. Will probably just need a good wash then the 303 protectant applying.

A.

gauldrymini
1st June 2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks again Andy...

This is a helpful forum we have here:thumbs up: something to be proud of:thumbs up:

Andrew