PDA

View Full Version : Concorde to fly again.

Scottie
29th May 2010, 09:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8712806.stm

15 million .

What do reckon worth it.??

Would be nice to see if flying again.

Bazthemod
29th May 2010, 10:44 PM
Would love to see one back flying, always thought it was a great waste.

Stewart
29th May 2010, 11:58 PM
Its a bit like the Avro you just want to see the thing fly. Hope it gets off the ground.

Crombers
30th May 2010, 12:02 PM
Fill yer boots here folks, it sadly ain't gonna happpen

http://www.concordesst.com/

I would love to see her back in the air again & the one in France still has all the hydralic fluids (BA stripped every one in an act of vandalism imho).
Go into the forums & it'll tell you all you need to know as to why it is impossible for her to get back into the sky. Basically in a nutshell Airbus who used to supply all the parts pulled the plug scrapping all the tooling & parts available in 2003. The ongoing cost of keeping Concorde in the sky in 2003 after 9/11 was prohibative & BA & Air France decided to draw the line & face the inevitable i.e. retiring Concorde.
Very very sad, as in a way we have retrogressed in air travel, opting for volume & economy over man's ability ............... watch this & weep my friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3QVMCG-aY

Ally S
30th May 2010, 11:28 PM
When i worked in the airport I got to see Concorde take off. What an amazing sight that was. I just heard the most awesome noise and then turned round to see it fly in to the air.

Mind you, seeing the red arrows come in to land was something special too. Was quite cool seeing them all parked up next to each other.

Crombers
31st May 2010, 08:22 AM
When i worked in the airport I got to see Concorde take off. What an amazing sight that was. I just heard the most awesome noise and then turned round to see it fly in to the air.

Mind you, seeing the red arrows come in to land was something special too. Was quite cool seeing them all parked up next to each other.

I used to go down to East Yonderton Farm on Walkinshaw Road to watch her whenever she was chartered with David Goodwin Travel. To watch the vortex coming off her in the wet when landing was superb & to hear the Olympus 593's light up on take off was just magnificent.

Apart from the odd 747 the airport is a much duller place these days. The residents around the airport will be mighty pleased right enough as to hear a modern jet take off and land what with all their hush kits etc is impressive in its own right. On the other hand to hear such gems as Tridents, BAC One 11's & VC10's rip down the runway was fab.

Ah the good old days :yes nod:

Mon the fish
31st May 2010, 08:36 AM
watch this & weep my friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3QVMCG-aY

Genuinely moving. I remember the Paris crash, and actually grieving for the machine. Very few things can affect you in such a way.

Still, never say never - the lads that built Tornado, the steam engine, were told that it wouldn't be possible, etc etc. Who's got the last laugh?

Crombers
31st May 2010, 08:48 AM
Genuinely moving. I remember the Paris crash, and actually grieving for the machine. Very few things can affect you in such a way.

Still, never say never - the lads that built Tornado, the steam engine, were told that it wouldn't be possible, etc etc. Who's got the last laugh?

I agree with never say never & genuinely hope that we will see Concorde's superior in my lifetime

I also just can't help but think that the last few generations have had nothing 'massive' to look in awe at in comparison to say Concorde's introduction i.e. supersonic travel or NASA's Apollo missions :frown:

Burple
31st May 2010, 10:07 AM
Crikey!.. Never thought I'd say this.. but we're agreeing on something big man..! :laugh::laugh:

Do I detect a fellow plane geek??? lol :cool::thumbs up::laugh:
If Concorde's not gonna make it back up, it's really sad.. but I'll be happy with this!!
X98ZnZs-2ds

I used to go down to East Yonderton Farm on Walkinshaw Road to watch her whenever she was chartered with David Goodwin Travel. To watch the vortex coming off her in the wet when landing was superb & to hear the Olympus 593's light up on take off was just magnificent.

Apart from the odd 747 the airport is a much duller place these days. The residents around the airport will be mighty pleased right enough as to hear a modern jet take off and land what with all their hush kits etc is impressive in its own right. On the other hand to hear such gems as Tridents, BAC One 11's & VC10's rip down the runway was fab.

Ah the good old days :yes nod:

N16SHP
31st May 2010, 02:59 PM
I agree with never say never & genuinely hope that we will see Concorde's superior in my lifetime

I also just can't help but think that the last few generations have had nothing 'massive' to look in awe at in comparison to say Concorde's introduction i.e. supersonic travel or NASA's Apollo missions :frown:

I'd have to say that in my lifetime (23) so far, the only things we've had that been massive is nothing but disasters and terrorist attacks i.e. 9/11 :(

Scottie
31st May 2010, 07:21 PM
I was sitting on the slip road (or whatever it is called) waiting on our turn to take off at Heathrow Airport. The captain of our plane told us if we looked out the windae we would see concorde taking off being that close the sound and the vibration that went through our plane was amazing was good to see it that close.

When the one crashed in Paris we were actually in Paris that day on holiday didn't know a thing about it you would have had no idea.

Scottie
31st May 2010, 07:23 PM
I remember watching on the TV in our school the first moon walk, I remember it being live but I am not sure if it was. Most folks on here wouldn't have even been born.LOL

I'd have to say that in my lifetime (23) so far, the only things we've had that been massive is nothing but disasters and terrorist attacks i.e. 9/11 :(

euan
31st May 2010, 07:44 PM
I was at Hertz at heathrow one morning picking up a hire car. This ALMIGHTY noise started behind on the runway, I turned round to see Concorde blasting down the runway on it's way to JFK. Unbelievable sight and what a noise!

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
31st May 2010, 08:41 PM
Remember seeing Concorde do a touchdown at Dyce airport, was amazing to see...

found a video of it, can't believe it was 84....!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6LGfJ_2dTI

Scottie
31st May 2010, 08:54 PM
Great Vid........ would have been awesome to get a pic of the plane as it landed. So difficult to get near airports today for any decent pics only one we know is Inverness Airport surprising how many people are there.

Stewart
31st May 2010, 08:58 PM
My uncle took me to see Concorde down in Cambridge, think we drove about 20-30 miles but I could see it through the fence.

But the best I’ve ever seen was the space shuttle piggyback on the large transport plane fly right over our school in Glasgow and it was low I mean really low. We were all out waiting and it came right over the Golf course then the school, what a sight. Cant remeber what it was all about but it was done escpacially low so we all got to see it.

Crombers
31st May 2010, 11:01 PM
Crikey!.. Never thought I'd say this.. but we're agreeing on something big man..! :laugh::laugh:

Do I detect a fellow plane geek??? lol :cool::thumbs up::laugh:

Big Stuff, ............ we agree on lots of things compared to .................. y'know :Whistle:

Anyhoo, yup planes are one of 'my things'. Do Leuchars most years & my sis stays not to far from Duxford & G-AXDN :thumbs up:

My father was a Travel Agent & used to have to pop down to Glasgow Airport with tickets & stuff on evenings & weekends. Back then you had a viewing gallery & could get really close to the aircraft as they taxied to their gates. I suppose it all stemed from there & in later years I used to often sit with my Yupiteru VT225 listening in to Tower, Ground, Speedbird etc etc etc. Hav'nt been down in years as 9/11changed everything with regard to security. I've also been to the old Queens Building at Heathrow (sadly now knocked down) on a few occassions & that was amazing seeing aircraft liveries from all over the world. Best bit was always watching Concorde around 5pm as it came in from JFK :yes nod:

Oh & by the way I canny get yer linky to open :confused:

Scottie
31st May 2010, 11:08 PM
Allan is in to planes but maybe not as much you Crombers. Allan has been fortunate to go up in planes that not many normal people get to go up in. All that was back in the day. With the ATC then when he went in to the Army.

euan
1st June 2010, 09:02 AM
Remember seeing Concorde do a touchdown at Dyce airport, was amazing to see...

found a video of it, can't believe it was 84....!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6LGfJ_2dTI

I was there too, I've still got some brochure or other I got on the day in the house somewhere!

Crombers
1st June 2010, 09:43 AM
Allan is in to planes but maybe not as much you Crombers. Allan has been fortunate to go up in planes that not many normal people get to go up in. All that was back in the day. With the ATC then when he went in to the Army.

Betcha he's been on a VC10 ?

Burple
1st June 2010, 10:40 AM
:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Been at every Leauchars Airshow since I was 5 (Every year it's been open;))
Total highlight of my year, I'd love to get down to Duxford or Farnborough one year:thumbs up:
Was also down in Wales about this time last year, and only found out the week after we got back we were 5 mikles from Bwlch and Cad-east - The Mach Loop where this kind of stuff is "normal" to see close up..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4626346770_e117f7b07c.jpg

Gutted I missed any flying! :laugh:

Anybody else remember the year that Concorde dropped a load of Pro golfers off at RAF Leuchars for the open in St Andrews?
Stuff the golf... :thumbs up::laugh:

P.S... Original linky fixed ;)

Big Stuff, ............ we agree on lots of things compared to .................. y'know :Whistle:

Anyhoo, yup planes are one of 'my things'. Do Leuchars most years & my sis stays not to far from Duxford & G-AXDN :thumbs up:

My father was a Travel Agent & used to have to pop down to Glasgow Airport with tickets & stuff on evenings & weekends. Back then you had a viewing gallery & could get really close to the aircraft as they taxied to their gates. I suppose it all stemed from there & in later years I used to often sit with my Yupiteru VT225 listening in to Tower, Ground, Speedbird etc etc etc. Hav'nt been down in years as 9/11changed everything with regard to security. I've also been to the old Queens Building at Heathrow (sadly now knocked down) on a few occassions & that was amazing seeing aircraft liveries from all over the world. Best bit was always watching Concorde around 5pm as it came in from JFK :yes nod:

Oh & by the way I canny get yer linky to open :confused:

euan
1st June 2010, 01:07 PM
:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Total highlight of my year, I'd love to get down to Duxford or Farnborough one year:thumbs up:

My work has an office at the end of the runway in Farnborough - we all try and work there that week!

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
1st June 2010, 06:01 PM
:

Duxford is amazing, ended up there by mistake last year, the museum was unreal... :smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
1st June 2010, 06:13 PM
Betcha he's been on a VC10 ?

Just asked him he has been on one they the RAF used then to fly the Army. Last time was to Norway.

Scottie
1st June 2010, 06:33 PM
some of you fanatics my know about this site

http://www.warplane.co.uk/

it is one of Allans fav and gives you good ideas where to go to get some cracking low flying pictures.

Click on planning your trip then go to links and look round some of pictures on various site some of them are excellent.

ianking
1st June 2010, 07:36 PM
I have to confess to being a bit of a plane geek as well. Im only into domestic stuff though, not into any of the military stuff.

Used to go to Edinburgh all the time as a young lad when the viewing gallery was still open. Had my wee radio for listeing to the tower and the planes and my binoculars as well as my wee note book.

If I happen to be watching one of Sarahs nephews I usually happen across the rear gate at Edinburgh (Kirkliston side) with him so we can watch the planes.

I used to go to Eastfortune air museum 3 or 4 times a year with the grandparents as a young lad as I always chose to go there if they were watching me. My Papa was in the RAF so he wore his RAF tie one day and they took us into the restoration hanger to see stuff that you dont normally get to see. I took Kerr there for a day out last year was was really surprised to see that they had a BAC 1-11 outside now in early 90s BA livery. I never got to fly on one but remember seeing them all the time when I was young. I never got to fly on a Trident either so I must get down to Duxford to see one up close.

I have also never been on a BAE146 and I really should book a flight down to London City Airport so that I can get a shot in one as they are starting to decomission them. Exeter airfield has lots of BA ones getting chopped up at the moment. Its another plane that I used to enjoy watching as a young lad.

I took my wee bro to Edinburgh in 2003 so that he could see Concorde on its final tour. Folk his age (he is now 17) will never get to appreciate it. The car park field at the Highland show ground was heaving. Police directing traffic and everything.

ianking
1st June 2010, 07:36 PM
I can loose hours on this site.

http://www.airliners.net/

Scottie
1st June 2010, 07:46 PM
Ian I have no idea what these planes are so your a geek.:cool::smilewinkgrin: It's no wonder I do not enjoy flying as most of my times in planes were on the Dash 8 that went to Bristol and the rest was on the Shorts that do the islands. Other than the BP Helicopter that we used to get a wee ride in when the checked the pipelines I've only every been on normal airplanes like 737's etc etc

I have to confess to being a bit of a plane geek as well. Im only into domestic stuff though, not into any of the military stuff.

Used to go to Edinburgh all the time as a young lad when the viewing gallery was still open. Had my wee radio for listeing to the tower and the planes and my binoculars as well as my wee note book.

If I happen to be watching one of Sarahs nephews I usually happen across the rear gate at Edinburgh (Kirkliston side) with him so we can watch the planes.

I used to go to Eastfortune air museum 3 or 4 times a year with the grandparents as a young lad as I always chose to go there if they were watching me. My Papa was in the RAF so he wore his RAF tie one day and they took us into the restoration hanger to see stuff that you dont normally get to see. I took Kerr there for a day out last year was was really surprised to see that they had a BAC 1-11 outside now in early 90s BA livery. I never got to fly on one but remember seeing them all the time when I was young. I never got to fly on a Trident either so I must get down to Duxford to see one up close.

I have also never been on a BAE146 and I really should book a flight down to London City Airport so that I can get a shot in one as they are starting to decomission them. Exeter airfield has lots of BA ones getting chopped up at the moment. Its another plane that I used to enjoy watching as a young lad.

I took my wee bro to Edinburgh in 2003 so that he could see Concorde on its final tour. Folk his age (he is now 17) will never get to appreciate it. The car park field at the Highland show ground was heaving. Police directing traffic and everything.

Scottie
1st June 2010, 07:48 PM
So what about hot air balloons I so fancy a wee shot in one of those anyone been up in one????

Stewart
1st June 2010, 07:50 PM
Duxford is a must and I've never been:argh:. I dont really care for new planes but love the WWII stuff and Cold War planes.

Crombers
1st June 2010, 11:03 PM
Duxford is a must and I've never been:argh:. I dont really care for new planes but love the WWII stuff and Cold War planes.

You won't be disappointed, in a word 'amazing' :yes nod:

Crombers
1st June 2010, 11:04 PM

Eh .................... ditto :thumbs up:

AeroJonny
2nd June 2010, 12:55 AM

Me too, I've flown a few planes that are on there...one of which is my current desktop but it's a special plane to me :)

So what about hot air balloons I so fancy a wee shot in one of those anyone been up in one????

I met a guy at oxford airport the other week who was there with his son and grandson, taking the wee boy for his first flight in a light aeroplane...what I wouldn't have given to be that fortunate at his age! The son of the pilot was actually a balloon pilot and I had a really interesting and all too brief chat about how they control the balloons. I'd certainly love to go for a trip in one!

When I was out in the Phoenix, we were about 5m from Luke AFB, one of the main F-16 training bases of the USAF and had plenty of encounters with them out in the practise areas! I was also massively lucky to see 2 A-10 Warthogs down in the desert near Tucson which was awesome, they're so cool! I actually thought they were UAVs to begin with.

I definitely share Ian's love for the BAe146/Avro RJ, I'm lucky enough to have flown on one into London City actually, on the trip to pick up the R56 from Kent! The glide path into City is 5.5degrees whereas the usual figure is 3degrees, it's apparently like dropping out of the sky in comparison! I think the love of the 146 is because I love high wing jets, my favourite is the C17 Globemaster, I would've loved to have flown it!

PS...I'm a bit of a plane geek too.

N16SHP
2nd June 2010, 02:25 PM
Stunning picture of the Globemaster their. I remember seeing one of them fly at Leuchars when I was about 8 and thought it was just tremendous! I've been to several airshows now, but two things that has still alluded me (mainly due to geographical reasons I think) are the Blue Angels and a B1! Both amazing for different reasons. The Blue Angels purely for their discipline before and after take off, and also for the maneuvers those guys pull without g-suits. And the B1 for its elegance, speed and handling for a big bomber!

My dad and I used to cycle out to Dyce airport just to see some planes coming in, even though they were just airlines, and occasionally got to see some Tornado's practicing some touch and goes, and the odd nimrod too!

Scottie
12th July 2010, 10:35 PM
anyone watch Concorde the story tonight on 4. Was really good, left me thinking what a dam shame how the end came to be for the plane the pride that the Pilots and Engineers had in that plane was massive.

ianking
13th July 2010, 08:21 AM
Yes I watched it. It was very sad at the end and I can quite understand why grown men were fighting back tears talking about how its career ended.

Bazthemod
13th July 2010, 09:10 AM
Was awesome to watch... pretty scary to think 40 people dying in the world trade centre effected their business so much! Also interesting points raised about the French disaster.

I hope they get one back in the skies, what a sight and noise it must be!

I see they fired up the engine of a French Concorde last month and it passed all tests and a taxi run - now just fighting red tape it seems.

zimbo
13th July 2010, 09:29 AM
Yup I watched it as well, along with being a car and motorcycle fan I also love planes and jets and helicopters :clap: it was brilliant to watch. And it is very sad that they no longer fly these days, I will always remember being at a friend of the families house in berkshire on a few occasions and at exactly 11am you stand anywhere in the premises and see and hear the Concorde flying over head on its way to New York... :yes nod: It was awesome.

I really hope that a manufacturer will try and make a newer more modern version of it.
It is the one plane out of all that I really would have LOVED to have had a flight in :sad:, it must have been incredible being on one of those in flight.

ianking
13th July 2010, 10:31 AM
Remember Branson wanted to purchase one from BA before they were given to museums but they said no. He wanted to keep it going.

Crombers
13th July 2010, 05:12 PM
Remember Branson wanted to purchase one from BA before they were given to museums but they said no. He wanted to keep it going.

It was BA's 'daddy' , there was NO way they were gonna sell one to Branson

At the end of the day 'tragically', Air France started the ball rolling re retirement after the 2000 crash.
When Airbus announced increased ongoing costs to continue flying the aircraft after 9/11 both BA & Air France decided it was time to cut their losses. There are no other aircraft that share the spares with Concorde so without a spares manufacturer i.e. Airbus & the all important certificate of airworthiness we are sadly never likely to see Concorde in the skies again.

I reckon Mike Bannister summed it up for me when he walked away from 5 'perfectly seviceable' Concorde's in 2003, hitting him then that Concorde was never gonna fly again

So so sad that £££££££ has removed 'much earlier than planned, one of man's greatest achievement in the skies :sad:

Scottie
13th July 2010, 06:08 PM
it was nice to remember the Concorde's flight over London with the Red Arrows. What a cracking sight. Certainly watching it last night it on TV reminds you what a handsome looking plane it was. I know it's all about the pounds and pence these days and will never see it fly again.

ianking
13th July 2010, 08:24 PM
I know its not condorde but the Trident with its funny offset front wheel is another plane I can only just remember seeing from Edinburgh Turnhouse viewing gallery before they were withdrawn. I sadly remember it more as they used to have one to set on fire at Edi.

Anyway a group of enthusiasts is trying to put one into a good order for display at a museum. I would offer to help clean and reasemble with them if it was just a bit closer to home.
I have given a donation to their cause though. Seeing as there are some other plane buffs here just thought I might mention it.

http://www.savethetrident.org/