PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

Hogman
28th May 2010, 09:34 AM
Well I thought I would share my first impressions of my 2005 spec Mini Cooper S JCW.

I have only had the car a few weeks and am getting used to it now. Its not used as a daily driver just a toy whenever I want abit of fun.

Good bits...

Engine - fantastic little engine, the supercharger performs very well with good torque throughout the rev range, pulls very hard indeed. Lovely sound track.

Great handling, the car handles very well, nice and stiff, very little body roll, no noticable torque steer. Steering very good, very accurate and a nice tight rack.

Interior is nice and again has a feeling of fun.

Bad bits...

Door lock gone already, needs to be replaced.

Interior switches feel rather light weight plastics, disappointing.

Low mpg figures, low 20's

Brake feel is rather wooden and non inspiring, this will change easily with a set of 1144's on there.

Conclusion...

Well I can honestly say I love this car already, always delivers a big grin, so much fun to drive. Much more fun then you would believe if you didnt know, outperforms a VX220/Elise in every way (apart from track as not tried the Mini on track yet).

The car demands to be driven accurately and smoothly otherwise it will let you know. Just means you have to drive it properly 100% of the time which is no bad thing.

The car does seem abit heavy on the petrol usage, but I guess I will just have to ease my right foot abit.

Looking forward to trying the Mini at KH, I think it should perform very well, it has the power, sadly a little too much weight to compete with the lighter and sportier cars on track but it will be fun surprising afew!!

The Mini is a fun machine in every way, to drive, to look at and it brings some fun to everyday driving.

I have to say all Mini drivers seem to be rather attractive too :lol:

This car has definately put the fun back into motoring again :smilewinkgrin:

I look forward to getting some more miles on the clock and joining in some of the bigger runs out!

Crombers
28th May 2010, 09:47 AM
Good post sir :thumbs up: glad you like yer new toy

For me, the best thing about a MINI is the handling :yes nod: & when you are a Cooper owner you can match (some say even beat, due to the lighter front end) the 'point & squirt' power of the R53 superchargers & R56 (fat :rolleyes:) turbo's of the 'fast' MINI's on the bends & twists :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
28th May 2010, 12:08 PM
Well I thought I would share my first impressions of my 2005 spec Mini Cooper S JCW.

I have only had the car a few weeks and am getting used to it now. Its not used as a daily driver just a toy whenever I want abit of fun.

Good bits...

Engine - fantastic little engine, the supercharger performs very well with good torque throughout the rev range, pulls very hard indeed. Lovely sound track.

Great handling, the car handles very well, nice and stiff, very little body roll, no noticable torque steer. Steering very good, very accurate and a nice tight rack.

Interior is nice and again has a feeling of fun.

Bad bits...

Door lock gone already, needs to be replaced.

Interior switches feel rather light weight plastics, disappointing.

Low mpg figures, low 20's

Brake feel is rather wooden and non inspiring, this will change easily with a set of 1144's on there.

Conclusion...

Well I can honestly say I love this car already, always delivers a big grin, so much fun to drive. Much more fun then you would believe if you didnt know, outperforms a VX220/Elise in every way (apart from track as not tried the Mini on track yet).

The car demands to be driven accurately and smoothly otherwise it will let you know. Just means you have to drive it properly 100% of the time which is no bad thing.

The car does seem abit heavy on the petrol usage, but I guess I will just have to ease my right foot abit.

Looking forward to trying the Mini at KH, I think it should perform very well, it has the power, sadly a little too much weight to compete with the lighter and sportier cars on track but it will be fun surprising afew!!

The Mini is a fun machine in every way, to drive, to look at and it brings some fun to everyday driving.

This car has definately put the fun back into motoring again :smilewinkgrin:

I look forward to getting some more miles on the clock and joining in some of the bigger runs out!

Glad your enjoying it, it really is addictive. Never had an R53 before, it was always the fuel consumption that put me off. However like you love ma mini too.

Ally S
28th May 2010, 12:53 PM

i'd agree with that, heheh

KenL
28th May 2010, 08:22 PM
Good post sir :thumbs up: glad you like yer new toy

For me, the best thing about a MINI is the handling :yes nod: & when you are a Cooper owner you can match (some say even beat, due to the lighter front end) the 'point & squirt' power of the R53 superchargers & R56 (fat :rolleyes:) turbo's of the 'fast' MINI's on the bends & twists :smilewinkgrin:

Yeah yeah! Jealousy is a terrible thing :smilewinkgrin:

To Hogman - enjoy your MINI :thumbs up:

Crombers
28th May 2010, 11:29 PM

Go ask a few Highland Runners then, don't take my word for it :thumbs up: ..............

.............. & as has been said many a time, power is nothing without control :smilewinkgrin:

Oh & to finish off, WE are better looking :hand:

Mon the fish
29th May 2010, 07:59 AM
Glad you're liking it, the R53 JCW was the last 'proper' Mini..................

The fuel consumption isn't great, but hey it's only petrol! I went through a full tank of V-Power going from Falkirk to Alford via Glenshee - worked out at something like 17mpg

KenL
29th May 2010, 02:48 PM
Glad you're liking it, the R53 JCW was the last 'proper' Mini..................

It is a shame that we are still having a R50(3)/R56 divide :sad:

Why dont we all agree just to bash that hideous Countryman instead :thumbs up:

That really is NOT a MINI :frown:

Crombers
29th May 2010, 11:47 PM
It is a shame that we are still having a R50(3)/R56 divide :sad:

No divide at all, I still let R56 'fatties' park next to me :rolleyes:

............... it's just fact that WE are better looking ................... simples :thumbs up:

Craig
29th May 2010, 11:58 PM
Your right "old" boy ;). Fatties are allowed, their just not as good looking ;)

Scottie
30th May 2010, 12:05 AM
Lay off the Countryman it is smaller than a Golf afterall.

Crombers
30th May 2010, 10:52 AM
Your right "old" boy ;). Fatties are allowed, their just not as good looking ;)

Old geezers have their moments :thumbs up:

N16SHP
30th May 2010, 11:27 AM
Well I'm an R56 S driver, and after testing several R53s and 56s I can honestly say that the R53 was more fun to drive! The supercharger was phenominally good fun, but for me (and I don't wanna offend anyone) the interior quality of the R53 was poor, mostly the indicator stalks which had no weight. Also the fuel consumption and road tax! What I will say is if u can combine the R56s quality and the R53s go kartness and supercharger, I'd be laughing. So a 1.6TSI from Mini? :)