PDA

View Full Version : re the Exhaust I had fitted to my Cooper

Scottie
25th May 2010, 09:49 PM
I had a aftermarket exhaust fitted to my car supplied from stainless creations Falkirk.

Great exhaust and had no problems with it right up to the day I got them to take it off my car and re fit the OEM one.

The stainless exhaust had rusted the right round in a band on the box now this should not have happened it was a stainless steel exhaust.

Give Stainless Creations there due I think they were already aware of the problem from this particular supplier who had used two different types of stainless.

they have kept the exhaust and sorting the problem out and they have offered to supply and fit a new exhaust to my motor when it arrives.

Just a heads up really for anyone who has bought a exhaust from them maybe best to get under the car and have a wee look see if it's ok.

GCA3N
26th May 2010, 06:05 AM
I had a aftermarket exhaust fitted to my car supplied from stainless creations Falkirk.

Great exhaust and had no problems with it right up to the day I got them to take it off my car and re fit the OEM one.

The stainless exhaust had rusted the right round in a band on the box now this should not have happened it was a stainless steel exhaust.

Give Stainless Creations there due I think they were already aware of the problem from this particular supplier who had used two different types of stainless.

they have kept the exhaust and sorting the problem out and they have offered to supply and fit a new exhaust to my motor when it arrives.

Just a heads up really for anyone who has bought a exhaust from them maybe best to get under the car and have a wee look see if it's ok.

Better have a look at mine when I get home, cheers for the heads up.

ELFMAN
27th May 2010, 08:47 AM
A rusting Stainless Steel Exhaust...? Now there's a novelty. Glad they're sorting it out for you Fiona, but not so good if you'd been keeping the car longer... Stainless Creations' supplier didn't work for Alfa Romeo in the 70's by any chance?

Ally S
27th May 2010, 01:27 PM
Was it where the strap attaches to the backbox? The Playmini exhaust had this effect but it wasn't quite rust - it could be removed with some elbow grease and Autosol

big pete
27th May 2010, 06:49 PM
What tends to happen is they Mig weld the joints using mild steel filler wire. Really should be done with Tig and stainless filler rod but its much harder to do!