24th May 2010, 08:09 PM
hmmm... Go on then ;)

Duncan Stewart
24th May 2010, 08:33 PM
:thumbs up: Count us in please :thumbs up:

Stewart
24th May 2010, 09:12 PM
Wait a mo thats ma Birthday....:thumbs up:

I'll have new Tyres by then:smilewinkgrin: go on has to be done.

stoney
24th May 2010, 09:18 PM
me hopefully

Bazthemod
24th May 2010, 09:41 PM
Oi! Am I not getting? lol ;)

Craig
24th May 2010, 09:49 PM
Go on then !! Hopefully nothing will stop me next year ;)

Forbes
24th May 2010, 10:06 PM
Yup.

GCA3N
25th May 2010, 06:22 AM
Cannot believe the date change Paul, this means I AM OFF ya dancer. Kim/Greig please, gutted as you know being stuck offshore watching this amazing run, feeling even worse that I was missing 2011, so was very excited when I saw the date. :thumbs up:

Alex from NM
25th May 2010, 08:58 AM
that week is superb for me, no problem getting time off for that one ;). I might even do the full run... from the real start no less :D

Crombers
25th May 2010, 09:22 AM
that week is superb for me, no problem getting time off for that one ;). I might even do the full run... from the real start no less :D

With your Sunderland accent I just had to laugh when I read that one out, top man :thumbs up:

Alex from NM
25th May 2010, 10:13 AM
With your Sunderland accent I just had to laugh when I read that one out, top man :thumbs up:

I am to please :thumbs up:

The run needs us both there as the 'keeping it real' committee with our R50's :cool:

Crombers
25th May 2010, 10:33 AM
"Keeping it real" ............................. brilliant :thumbs up:

GCA3N
25th May 2010, 06:56 PM
18 so far, can a kind mod please make this a sticky

Done :thumbs up:

Sheilz
25th May 2010, 07:10 PM
Third time lucky - might make the hotel room next year, so a Yes please for Dougall, Catriona and myself.

weefossy
25th May 2010, 08:09 PM
You don't need to ask, put us down please.

Bumble
25th May 2010, 09:08 PM
Me and Stuart too!

AndyP & Lenore
31st May 2010, 09:02 PM
Both nights booked.:thumbs up:

A.

Scottie
31st May 2010, 09:13 PM
I'm staying at the tinglecreek hotel.

for Thurso We are staying a wee bit down to road to the Ulbster Arms Hotel Halkirk

for anyone interested. I have stayed at both on business and pleasure both nice imo.

http://www.ulbsterarmshotel.co.uk/

http://www.tinglecreek-hotel.co.uk/

Crombers
1st June 2010, 09:39 AM
The plan is to catch the 1.45pm ferry across to Skye

I know there will be a valid answer for this mate so my apologies straight off (I'm also a f@nny :yes nod:), but why are we getting a ferry when there is a bridge :confused:

Crombers
1st June 2010, 10:13 AM
I just knew there would be a valid answer for this mate, cheers :thumbs up: .................. I'm still a f@nny though :hand:

Crombers
1st June 2010, 10:18 AM
True, I can't argue with that :laugh:

Neither can I :hand:

Scottie
1st June 2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah as always Paul I've got to look at ones that take dogs if that was not the case then I would be staying with you guys but at least it's not to far away and their food and views are very nice.

No worries Fi, I was trying to keep the group together by finding hotels next to each other as there wasn't any hotels large enough.

I take it these take dogs, I might look at staying at these when I do the reccie with Jackie and the hounds.

Scottie
1st June 2010, 07:17 PM
Ok will give them a phone and find out ta.

kayjay
6th July 2010, 10:52 PM
Can I add me + 2 to this list provisionally? Would be great to make this my first run in almost 5 years.

Crombers
7th July 2010, 02:35 PM
Can I add me + 2 to this list provisionally? Would be great to make this my first run in almost 5 years.

:clap: excellent, will be good to have you back

Last time we met was Cullen 2005 or 6 & our Coopers kept up with those 'pesky' youngsters nae bother :thumbs up:

kayjay
11th July 2010, 04:45 PM
Wow. That really was a long time ago. Time flies when you get older.

coopert21ceb
11th July 2010, 05:43 PM
Put me and Christine down please. Leave sorted!!
May look at joining up in Fort William as coming from Aberdeen. Will head up the A96 then down Loch Ness if anyone else from Aberdeen way is interested in doing that? Hope its cool to join in from there.

Just sent request to Mackinnon House for a night. Got friends to bunk with in Thurso.

Can't wait.

The Dogfather
11th July 2010, 09:37 PM
Hi, added you to the list.

The hotels for Kyleakin can be found here on NM (http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/showthread.php?4850-Kyle-of-Lochalsh-(Kyleakin)-Accommodation-List-14th-May-2011&p=105898#post105898)

Most people are staying at the Mackinnon so far, the White Heather doesn't seem to be taking bookings.

coopert21ceb
12th July 2010, 09:18 AM
Superb thank you. Looking forward to it already. First big run and my what a run!

ELFMAN
13th July 2010, 08:40 AM
Been and gone and done it now. Space in the convoy for a wee one?

Booked into Park Hotel, Thurso, awaiting reply from MacKinnon Hotel. Was swithering, as work usually interferes with anything fun in May, bit thought s*d it - life's too short.

All work and no play makes ELFMAN a dull boy!

The Dogfather
13th July 2010, 08:55 AM
Nice one, I'll add you to the list

ELFMAN
13th July 2010, 12:06 PM
Just looking at 'Trip Advisor' reviews for the MacKinnon Country House Hotel before I booked..... not good. I know a few folks are already staying there - anybody been before?

The Dogfather
13th July 2010, 02:04 PM
Not good? Out of 38 reviews 17 rate at excellent/very good, when you look at some of the bad reviews in detail you've have to wonder about what some people expect for a little highland hotel, somebody actually expected air conditioning in the west of Scotland!!!!

Most negative comments relate to checking in/out and the lack of staff, whereas there's some really positive comments about the food/atmosphere which to me is far more important than having to wait 5 minutes at reception.

There's also the White Heather but they are taking bookings at the moment.

ELFMAN
13th July 2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry mate - not having a go at you for your choice of hotels!

Went back in and checked it again.... Oh C*CK.

My colleague at work had managed to show me all the NEGATIVE reviews!!!!!!! Don't ask me how... it's a skill I guess.

Just about to book. If you want something doing - do it yourself!

The Dogfather
13th July 2010, 02:27 PM
No worries, I never saw it as a dig, although I did crap myself wondering how I got a good impression of the place ;).

Lets just hope it is a good place to stay, its all a bit if a lottery unless you've stayed there before.... fingers crossed eh?

AndyP & Lenore
13th July 2010, 02:34 PM
Paul and Euan's confab on the Tripadvisor reviews led me to the site to have a wee looky for myself.

Loved this complaint from an unhappy customer and loved even more the reply from the Manager...

Complainant:
"We only had dinner here but that was enough. Most of the food was from a can although they pretend it's fresh. The few fresh items were either totally overcooked or had been lying about for ages. When we complained the staff were abusive and swore at us. A complete rip off at £27."

Managers Reply:
"Perhaps the only thing we share in common with the complainats is that the experience will remain in our memories for a very long time.
Upon arrival we were told by one of the complaiants that they had been "drinking whisky all day". I was alerted to this and warned that we could expect trouble. We were not disappointed.
We welcome positive critiism. The comments here are not fair and not motivated by any positive desire to bring about change for the benefit of all guests.
Anyone who has an interest in knowing the truth about our food can email me and request a list of our suppliers who can be contacted and who will confirm that we use only fresh local produce.
On reflection I do apologise to the claimants because one of my colleagues did swear at them. This cannt be condoned and is much regreted by us. It should be said however it was done in the face of agressive beligerance and whilst we do not agree with the use of bad language on this occaision we can understand why it happened."

It's always a nightmare when your staff step out of line and don't handle things quite how you would, but it looks like these customers were the worst kind of nightmare.

A.

ELFMAN
13th July 2010, 02:37 PM
I'm sure it'll be fine - and of course the company will be good! As you said, you can never tell until you've been - lots of folks who write bad reviews are actually being quite 'picky' when you read into them. Reading Andy's post, we can see that some folks don't tell BOTH sides of the story. Good job I don't work in the hotel - I'd have been on a charge for GBH!*

*'Grasping (Vicky) Butler Henderson'?. Hmmmmmmmm. There's a thought... Nurse - My Pills, and the screens!!!!!!!

AndyP & Lenore
13th July 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm sure it'll be fine - and of course the company will be good! As you said, you can never tell until you've been - lots of folks who write bad reviews are actually being quite 'picky' when you read into them. Reading Andy's post, we can see that some folks don't tell BOTH sides of the story. Good job I don't work in the hotel - I'd have been on a charge for GBH!*

*'Grasping (Vicky) Butler Henderson'?. Hmmmmmmmm. There's a thought... Nurse - My Pills, and the screens!!!!!!!

Which reminded me I hadn't written my review for the Royal Hotel. Done now though.

Sorry for going slightly :off topic:

A.:thumbs up:

ELFMAN
13th July 2010, 03:29 PM
Which reminded me I hadn't written my review for the Royal Hotel. Done now though.

Sorry for going slightly :off topic:

A.:thumbs up:

Here's me thinking you were being reminded of Vicky!! :p :blush:
Still, you ARE getting on a bit...:laugh: I recognise the signs... :sad: Sorry for going slightly further :off topic: It's my age.... or is it my shoe size? :confused:

Stewart
13th July 2010, 05:35 PM
Blame me:smilewinkgrin:, I seen it and read a few reviews and asked about availability in May then passed it on to Paul. Thing that attracted me was it looks to have plenty parking and looked ok from the pictures.
I’m sure there was negative reviews of the Royal, one being that the place smelled of smoke and people were walking along some balcony looking in the windows. But I thought it was great with a nice view in the Morning and Breckie.

The Dogfather
13th July 2010, 05:36 PM
I'll be doing the reccie the first week in September in this

http://www.admotorhomes.co.uk/images/motorhomeL2.gif

Needless to say I'll be missing out Applecross and Quiraing, and the thought of the ferry is a bit daunting. We are taking a week to tour round the route so we'll be able to get some detailed notes on the route/stops.

Stewart
13th July 2010, 05:46 PM

Looking into Visiting Mallaig and staying at the Glenfinnan House Hotel next few months. My friend has the above and did the Heb's last year most of the time Wild Camping as it were and it was fantastic. This was us down at Largs. Glad Mr's Dogsfather is going to see where you run off to in the Mini.

stoney
13th July 2010, 05:49 PM
I'll be doing the reccie the first week in September in this

http://www.admotorhomes.co.uk/images/motorhomeL2.gif

Needless to say I'll be missing out Applecross and Quiraing, and the thought of the ferry is a bit daunting. We are taking a week to tour round the route so we'll be able to get some detailed notes on the route/stops.

i take one of them to glasto there brill :thumbs up:

GCA3N
13th July 2010, 07:21 PM
Thats so cool would love to do that. You hiring this or is it yours?

The Dogfather
13th July 2010, 07:37 PM
Hiring, got it off Ebay. If we like it we might buy one:eek:

GCA3N
13th July 2010, 07:46 PM
Hiring, got it off Ebay. If we like it we might buy one:eek:

lucky you, this is my retirement i recon.

coopert21ceb
13th July 2010, 07:53 PM
Well I got our room booked for the Mckinnon hotel. Even with reading the reviews on trip advisor. Seems that folk only go on there if they have had a fantastic time or a terrible time. For the night we are all there it will be just fine. Plus you get a free whisky in the room according to the booking sheet. What more do you want!!

The Dogfather
13th July 2010, 08:00 PM
Better be a malt then :D

coopert21ceb
14th July 2010, 10:33 AM
Too right, but then best only be the one with driving the next day.:sad:

ELFMAN
14th July 2010, 12:11 PM
That's my booking confirmed at the MacKinnon Hotel.

Craig
1st August 2010, 09:19 PM
Booked the Mackinnon Hotel. Not booked into Thurso, as Jude is working the Monday, so will prob go as far as Ullapool with you on the Sunday before turning for home.....:rolleyes: long drive home...:thud:

The Dogfather
1st August 2010, 10:17 PM
You'll miss the best bits up to Durness :(

Craig
1st August 2010, 10:26 PM
You'll miss the best bits up to Durness :(

As said before that is the downside of being married to a teacher :frown: although they are part time the hols are never at the right time !! :argh:

Crombers
27th August 2010, 10:17 AM
I am to please :thumbs up:

The run needs us both there as the 'keeping it real' committee with our R50's :cool:

Might I be right in saying that you have perhaps 'moved on' :moonie:

Alex from NM
27th August 2010, 04:47 PM
Might I be right in saying that you have perhaps 'moved on' :moonie:

'tis true :blush:. I'm rocking a turbo now :thumbs up:. I'm only a part time driver now. It feels very weird not having to work the car as much. Definitely a much less involved drive than the R50.

Flash_Amber
10th September 2010, 02:26 PM
Scott (hubby) and I quite fancy doing this run, do we need to book our own accommodation? where is everyone else booked into?

The Dogfather
10th September 2010, 04:28 PM
There's more info on NorthernMINI here (http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?106-Highland-and-Island-Tour-14th-May-2011) regarding accommodation, I'm afraid you do need to book places yourself though....

There's threads for both overnight stops (Kyleakin and Thurso)

Crombers
10th September 2010, 06:16 PM
'tis true :blush:. I'm rocking a turbo now :thumbs up:. I'm only a part time driver now. It feels very weird not having to work the car as much. Definitely a much less involved drive than the R50.

So basically you've downgraded then :yes nod: & bought a point & squirter :moonie:

Alex from NM
11th September 2010, 10:18 AM
So basically you've downgraded then :yes nod: & bought a point & squirter :moonie:

In a way yes, but you have to be more aware of the speed you're carrying and hitting the torque points right to get away again. Very different cars. But for every gear change in the S I would have been making 4-5 in the Coop. I think of it as a kind of retirement ;). All these S drivers are well spoilt. There is something very challenging and rewarding about keeping up with the fast boys in a Cooper.

Crombers
13th September 2010, 12:40 PM
There is something very challenging and rewarding about keeping up with the fast boys in a Cooper.

Couldn't have put it better myself :thumbs up:

coopert21ceb
14th September 2010, 04:53 PM
sorry folks, change in circs, wont be able to make the tour :-(
Can I get my name taken off the list. (sigh)

The Dogfather
14th September 2010, 07:46 PM
No worries, I've taken your name off the list.

For anyone who missed them the reccie photos can be found here (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?21066-Highland-and-Island-Tour-Reccie-Photos)

The Dogfather
14th September 2010, 07:47 PM
Following the reccie I'm likely to add in Duke's Pass and the Trossachs but this may mean that we drop the Dunvegan element of the run around Skye, although the more adventurous might still want to attempt the 'full monty'. Waiting on some local input before signing off on the final route.

The full route (http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=stirling&daddr=Aberfoyle,+Stirling,+United+Kingdom+to:Brig+ O'Turk+to:Portree+to:staffin+to:Uig,+Portree,+Isle +Of+Skye,+United+Kingdom+to:Dunvegan,+Isle+Of+Skye +to:Kyleakin,+Isle+Of+Skye&geocode=FYBQWAMddvHD_ykxeEM811eISDGtdtUCNx_w-w%3BFd0xWQMdIjS9_ynvPLeQcPeISDENF_VVofMqVA%3BFRf_W QMdLXG9_ymRHVanwPCISDHJAV-NVBb0oQ%3BFdgNbAMdkn2h_ykdB9Ob4S-MSDEVaTgiegsdEA%3BFRtPbwMdc06h_ylDR1E_Ms6NSDG5BM7s LixmIg%3BFVXIbgMd1Pye_ykx1bn5WcmNSDHmIe-pULI8EQ%3BFTpqbAMdtKyb_ymbaSiA7kuMSDGNSszmqkt3sg%3 BFbToaQMdk4So_ynF8juOaZyOSDGyG334xZLFrQ&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=56.87576,-5.258735&sspn=1.635966,4.938354&ie=UTF8&z=8) is 302 miles - 7 hours 44 mins

The (minus Dunvegan Circular) is 277 miles - 7 hrs

The Short Route (just visiting Portree) is 236 miles - 6 hrs

The times given are based upon driving time and do not include time on the ferry. The majority of these will be good fast A roads.

Stewart
15th September 2010, 12:15 AM
In my opinion I’d hate to drop a part of Skye due the Dukes Pass but then I do it every year at least once visiting friends. I see it adds around fifteen miles on to the start and would probably mean a quick stop in Aberfoyle as you don’t want anyone driving straight on and miss the turn as they will find themselves heading to Inversnaid.

Difficult to gauge as there is no denying it has some lovely views but I think you must be talking four miles at best as the rest of the road is just nice country roads to and from it.

I know there is a level of miles that probably should not be crossed and you really have to take getting to the starting point at Stirling into account as well. I did 360 miles this year from the door of the house to Ullapool, your full route would be 328 next year for me on day one door to door. The good thing is there is the forced break getting the ferry and gives you time out the car and I think everyone will be rested and ready when we land on the other side after the thirty minute crossing.

Just a quick thought there, Alex knows the score on the island.

Alex from NM
15th September 2010, 08:16 AM
To make sure you get the ferry you are talking about pre-booking and arriving with plenty of time to queue up. I think you have to check in at least half an hour before the ferry arrives or you lose your spot regardless if you have booked or not. Then there's loading the ferry up, the crossing then decamping. Probably going to be an enforced hour+. From Armadale to Portree is probably 40 mins on good roads, from Portree to Dunvegan is around 20, then Duvegan back to Kyle is 30. Probably :smilewinkgrin:. I'll definitely be doing part of the Skye route as my bed is 15 miles north of Portree :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
15th September 2010, 09:37 AM
Everyone can make a choice of how much, or how little they want to do, I'm planning to do it all as its only once a year thing and I don't want to be looking back saying I wish I'd done that.

The ferry can be pre-booked in December.

The Dogfather
15th September 2010, 09:48 AM
We need to make the 13.45 crossing to do the full Skye circular, last check in is 30mins before sailing so we need to be at Mallaig by 13.15

The route will take 3hrs 34mins according to Google Maps so in theory we'll have an hour for leeway with traffic and fuel stops, I'm not sure this is enough........

If we take a later crossing e.g. 15.10 we may not have enough time to do all of Skye as even the short circular takes 3 hours.

If we race to the ferry we'll make it, but it's a challenge getting everyone there on time

ELFMAN
16th September 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm used to getting just me and one MINI on the Oban - Craignure (Mull) boat and it's usually packed solid. I know this probably isn't a problem for our run, but I do know when there's a ferry crossing with set times in the equation, it changes the way you have to treat the rest of the journey. Just for peace of mind, is there a way we can make sure we all get on the Ferry if it's busy? Can we do an early 'Block Booking' on behalf of NMS? Certainly the thought of any situation which might involve 24 MINIs 'racing' to get on a ferry is a wee bit worrying! Excuse my Highland Run ignorance, but I always like to get things clear in my head before I set out.

The Dogfather
16th September 2010, 02:23 PM
I'm still trying to work this out, however I will expect everyone to pre-book the Ferry crossing in December so everyone should have a place. I'm just trying to figure out which ferry crossing we go for - either 13.45 or 15.10. Making the 13.45 would be a little tight as I don't want to rush everyone and the 15.10 crossing leaves it a bit late for the full Skye Tour.

Its a proper chew on..... might have to put it to the vote

ELFMAN
16th September 2010, 03:41 PM
No probs, I know you're thinking about it and you know what you're doing.

It might be one of these times where it's not possible to do everything... it's maybe a toss-up between the full Skye Tour with a bit more pressure on the way there (there's always the possibility of unseen delays), or a curtailed Skye Tour and a bit more 'breathing space' on the way to Mallaig. I'd rather not have to make it a 'Special Stage' journey, although I'm OK for 'pushing on' a bit on those roads, but that might not suit everybody. Different folks have different comfort levels where speed's concerned.

What would be the consequences of arriving a bit later on Skye? Would it throw the schedule into a bucket?

The Dogfather
16th September 2010, 04:27 PM
The later ferry disembarks at 15:40, and the full loop including Dunvegan takes just under 4 hours without stops

The earlier ferry disembarks at 14:15

The shorter loop on Skye is 45 mins less driving

This is all based upon the current timetable and they may change the timings

Stewart
16th September 2010, 08:47 PM
What was the time set to leave the Services 8am or 8:30am? Surly the first 150 miles would be covered in four hours. I think if we kept a close eye on stops and have say FortWilliam for fuel and group up along with the Green Welly stop for the toilet. I Think the Hour or so forced stop at the ferry will be a nice change and if we know that we have a stop like that then we can aim for it being our first major stop.

I don’t think it would add a bad edge to the start of the run, we would just have to realize that we might have to keep on the move a bit more
and not have say half an hour at the welly and half an hour at Fort William that adds up.

The Dogfather
16th September 2010, 10:21 PM
8.30am start.

Your probably right Stewart, we'll just need to keep good time till we hit the ferry. Once we get to Mallaig we'll have a good long break. A 15 minute pee stop at the Green Wellie is all we need as people can get any brekie's at the Services....

Gismo
17th September 2010, 07:30 AM
Why not leave earlier, say 8am

stoney
17th September 2010, 07:42 AM
hi guys going to have to pull out this one got to much on next year sorry inc a stag weekend in may

The Dogfather
17th September 2010, 09:10 AM
Why not leave earlier, say 8am

People are travelling down from Aberdeen in the morning....

Hogman
17th November 2010, 08:07 PM
I havent had chance to read the whole thread yet but put me down for a place

Cheers
Kevin

The Dogfather
17th November 2010, 08:42 PM
Kevin, I've added you to the list. You might want to get booked up in the hotels.

There's more info over on NM regarding the hotels etc. can be view here (http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?106-Highland-and-Island-Tour-14th-May-2011)

The Dogfather
17th November 2010, 08:54 PM
To confirm the ferry can be booked from early next month, I'll post up a reminder next month

Stewart
14th December 2010, 04:05 PM
Girl was on from the Thurso hotel just wanting the creditcard details etc booking still fine and she knows it's a mini crowd.:thumbs up: She called the house so will give her a call when I get back. Stuck in hf mini just now.

Just a heads up.

The Dogfather
30th December 2010, 09:20 PM
Its now time to book the ferry crossing to Skye! The ferry holds 40 but gets fully booked during Summer so get it booked as its a very long drive round ;)

You need to book the following: -

MALLAIG to ARMADALE
Date: 14-May-11
Time: Departing at 13:45
Arriving at 14:15

You can either do this online - http://www.calmac.co.uk/ or by Telephone: 0800 066 5000

A car is roughly £21 with another £4 per adult.

Ferry Bookings
The Dogfather - Booked
Stewart - Booked
Andy W - Booked
Bob and Matt - Booked
Alex - Booked
Stevey T - Booked
Elfman - Booked
Weefossy -Booked
Andy P - Booked
GoonerIJ - Booked

Please post up to confirm you've booked, thanks.

Alex from NM
30th December 2010, 10:17 PM
all booked up. bring on the car alarm crescendo :)

The Dogfather
31st December 2010, 12:17 AM
yes, that'll be interesting especially given the fact most cars on the ferries might be MINIs

Alex from NM
31st December 2010, 02:20 PM
is there a world record for the most amount of MINI alarms going off at one time?

Stewart
31st December 2010, 02:58 PM
14-May-11 MALLAIG to ARMADALE 13:45:14:15

Done and dusted!:thumbs up:

It will make a good picture, until that guy with his Caravan books up and you just know he is out there! :smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
1st January 2011, 11:41 AM
Some photos of the Quiraing Road

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/26/64/266498_10c07588.jpg

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/91/65/916594_3bdba9b3.jpg

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/29/35/1293516_4a5232e6.jpg

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/78/74/1787417_b5b5f945.jpg

ELFMAN
3rd January 2011, 03:09 PM
Ferry Booked!

GCA3N
3rd January 2011, 04:03 PM
is there a world record for the most amount of MINI alarms going off at one time?

I am sure you know this but if you press lock twice on my R56 it turns off the motion sensor (ie ferry mode) and stops the alarm from going off on the ferry.

Gismo
3rd January 2011, 04:22 PM
I am sure you know this but if you press lock twice on my R56 it turns off the motion sensor (ie ferry mode) and stops the alarm from going off on the ferry.Correcomundo, or dont lock it at all

Alex from NM
3rd January 2011, 08:15 PM
It does but I know for a fact I'll forget to do it :p

The Dogfather
3rd January 2011, 10:33 PM
lets all forget ;)

weefossy
5th January 2011, 06:11 PM
Got down to this at last....

Ferry booked
Mackinnion hotel booked (honeymoom suite)
Park hotel booked (view of the bins)

Can report that both hotels still have rooms available, but are going fast.

Really looking forward to this despite a busy month in May with another Pipe Band trip to Germany and a family holiday in Tenerife.......isn't this retirement thing great lol :yes nod:

Photos of recci were amazing and a few roads that we haven't been on before.....magic!

Stewart
5th January 2011, 08:06 PM
It just would not be the same without the 193 oh and the tea shop that comes with it:thumbs up:

The Dogfather
5th January 2011, 08:17 PM
I've updated the accommodation lists over on NM, cheers Malcolm.

My only worry is timing but we'll just have to play it by ear.

weefossy
5th January 2011, 11:22 PM
Paul, you have given it a lot of thought and effort and I'm sure it will work out. The only critical point is to get everyone to the ferry on time. Any other delays will just result in a late tea or supper which is no big deal. I will have a look at the first day route and let you have my thoughts tomorrow.

AndyP & Lenore
5th January 2011, 11:59 PM
That's us booked the ferry.:thumbs up:

ELFMAN
6th January 2011, 03:43 PM
Just to note that I'm booked into the Park Hotel in Thurso too! Wasn't on the NM list.

Duncan Stewart
6th January 2011, 09:17 PM
Ferry booked for us :D

The Dogfather
7th January 2011, 07:30 AM
Lists updated on NM, thanks guys......

Sheilz
12th January 2011, 04:35 PM
Hi Paul

Am afraid will have to withdraw from this run or at least part of it. Catriona is going on a rather expensive :eek:school sports :tennis: trip to Hong Kong in the autumn and as a contribution I have (possibly in a moment of utter madness) indicated that I will contribute whatever money I would be spending on this trip towards the cost of it. However I will be monitoring progress and who knows Dougall might just not be able to resist a quick run up to the Highlands at some point over that weekend. He's pretty well used to chasing elusive minis across hill and glen :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Dogfather
12th January 2011, 09:24 PM
OK Shielz, I'll take your name off the list (for now ;))

Sheilz
12th January 2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks Paul - for now - as young miss has informed me that she hasn't handed in her permission slip to go yet! How on earth she imagined she would go on the trip without handing it in beats me :rolleyes: :laugh::laugh:

The Dogfather
16th January 2011, 09:20 PM
Another ferry booking added to the list, and a quick reminder to all the others to make sure you book sooner rather than later, thanks.

Bazthemod
16th January 2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry Paul I'm gonna take a year off and do MINI United instead, sorry mate!

The Dogfather
16th January 2011, 10:58 PM
No worries Baz, thanks for letting me know.

Hogman
16th January 2011, 11:05 PM
Not going to be able to commit to this sadly due to work

The Dogfather
16th January 2011, 11:20 PM
Ok the list is down to 19 although I expect more to drop out, I have to be honest I was worried about 23 cars.

Scottie
16th January 2011, 11:26 PM
I'm not going Paul no fun with two dogs and one guy on crutches . would be a nightmare and not a pleasure for me... sorry.

Stewart
17th January 2011, 01:53 AM
Allan still on Crutches? Hope he's off them soon.

Pity Scottie apart from seeing the new Car, I was interested in a like for like MPG comparison from the Cooper to the D on the run. I still fancy a D or SD......:smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
17th January 2011, 07:22 AM
OK Fi.

The Dogfather
14th February 2011, 06:48 PM
Can anyone who's still on the list who is not planning to come along please let me know ASAP so I can finalise the arrangements for stops etc.

If you haven't booked the ferry please do so, if you get to Mallaig and there's no space you'll miss out on the drive around Skye.

The Dogfather
15th February 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm going to put a limit on this of 15 cars to allow me a bit more flexibility on stopping points along the route. I know there is more than 15 on the list at the moment but I expect a few more to drop out. There will be a reserve list just in case though.

ELFMAN
16th February 2011, 04:16 PM
OK, if it's now limited to 15 and I'm No.16... seeing how I've booked time off work, two hotels and the ferry, do I have to pray somebody drops out now? :smilewinkgrin:

BTW, If nobody drops out, I'm still going!!!!! :knife: :yes nod:

stoney
16th February 2011, 05:19 PM
Sorry Paul I'm gonna take a year off and do MINI United instead, sorry mate!

Mini united has been put off to next year now :lol:

Sent from Stoney planet

The Dogfather
16th February 2011, 06:44 PM
If the numbers stay as they are I'll cope :D but there's always a few last minute drop outs.

There's a few who haven't booked the ferry so I'm sure there'll be plenty of changes yet, currently out of that list I reckon there's only 12 cars who are nailed on attendees.

ELFMAN
16th February 2011, 07:15 PM
You'll cope just fine! :thumbs up:
I just hope I will.... :confused:

The Dogfather
16th February 2011, 09:14 PM
You'll cope just fine! :thumbs up:
I just hope I will.... :confused:

Just bring lots of Red Bull.......

ELFMAN
17th February 2011, 01:54 PM
Just bring lots of Red Bull.......
Or a flat-pack 'Stig in a Box'...

The Dogfather
23rd February 2011, 10:01 PM
Right list updated with people who have confirmed bookings, can the people who haven't booked yet please let me know, otherwise I'll have to assume you aren't coming along.

The Dogfather
23rd February 2011, 10:02 PM
Oh Craig, I still have you pencilled in for the run up to Morar

Craig
23rd February 2011, 10:27 PM
Oh Craig, I still have you pencilled in for the run up to Morar

Still a possibility Paul, I'm in discussions to use a mini ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dogfather
23rd February 2011, 11:12 PM
fingers crossed, would be good to see you there

ELFMAN
24th February 2011, 02:08 PM
fingers crossed, would be good to see you there

Ditto! :thumbs up:

Craig
28th February 2011, 10:54 AM
Paul, thanks to the huge generosity of a fellow member I'll be there for the Sat I'n a MINI I'll drive up to Mallaig with you guys and prob stay at the lodge on the Sat night before driving back down on the Sunday ;)

Here's hoping for good weather :thumbs up:

weefossy
28th February 2011, 11:01 AM
Great news, does that mean you will be staying over for a refreshment :beer:...or 2....:beer:

Craig
28th February 2011, 11:30 AM
I doubt I'll be with you guys later for :beer: As the lodge is just outside fort William and you guys ate staying at the Kyle ...;)

The Dogfather
28th February 2011, 01:55 PM
Good that you're coming along, a shame that you can't do the whole run though.

Am I still OK to crash at your place on the Friday night?

I will be putting together a full run pack with lots of info e.g. petrol and toilet stops in the next few weeks.

Craig
28th February 2011, 02:20 PM
Good that you're coming along, a shame that you can't do the whole run though.

Am I still OK to crash at your place on the Friday night?

I will be putting together a full run pack with lots of info e.g. petrol and toilet stops in the next few weeks.

Yeah I'll get one year but it's mostly cos Jude must be back on Sunday for work .... :frown: dont see the point of spending all of that money to race back down the road on Sunday night getting back late on..

Yeah, your very welcome to crash on Friday night, I have the Fossies staying so could be a party !! :lol:

It's looking like a curry night if that's ok with you ;)

The Dogfather
28th February 2011, 08:46 PM
Curry sounds great, although I might take it easy on the beer I need my wits about me the next day.

Craig
28th February 2011, 09:17 PM
Curry sounds great, although I might take it easy on the beer I need my wits about me the next day.

Oh aye, easy on the beer mate ;)

Stewart
28th February 2011, 10:40 PM
Great Craig that you have use of a Mini and able to join the beginning.:thumbs up: I’m going to check the Lodges on the way back on the Monday as I’ll be passing it as I’d rather do loch Ness- Fortwilliam on the way back than the A9 and it would be daft not to pop in and see the place that’s been booked.

75 days….and counting ( sorry its on an App) :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
28th February 2011, 10:51 PM
Great Craig that you have use of a Mini and able to join the beginning.:thumbs up: I’m going to check the Lodges on the way back on the Monday as I’ll be passing it as I’d rather do loch Ness- Fortwilliam on the way back than the A9 and it would be daft not to pop in and see the place that’s been booked.

75 days….and counting ( sorry its on an App) :smilewinkgrin:

Good stuff Stewart ;). Ask Frank for the islay lodge as that is the one that got us hooked. Great views :yes nod:

Stewart
1st March 2011, 12:51 AM
Well as far as I know I've booked the Iona lodge, just going to take a look when on the passing. Its such a good base to drive from I may even do Applecross when I'm there if the weather is good. If its half as good as it looks it may become a yearly thing as I've always loved the area but only ever camped to do Ben Nevis or done the usual day trip. I'll hire a bike as well and go for a ride along the canal.

Sorry off topic. ;)

If we do the Dukes Pass, will have to give a toot of the horn as we pass Grieg's house

The Dogfather
6th March 2011, 09:01 PM
Here's the final route, it'll be added to bit by bit as the run gets closer. You can actually drive the route via street view if you're that way inclined....

Highland Tour Map (http://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=206930562318246451883.00049dba7ce0852ebb34e&z=7)

I'll post up a key to all the icons as well, some are obvious

Stewart
7th March 2011, 12:11 AM
I took a look there at the Quiraing Road at the top I just hope the shop is open at the top in May.:smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
7th March 2011, 01:42 AM
It'll be late in the afternoon so it maybe shut ;)

The Dogfather
7th March 2011, 10:50 PM
OK, the Map is pretty much finished: -

The red push pins are planned re-groups if there's a 'burger and drink' icon then its good place to grab a bite to eat.

The toilets on route are marked on the map, there maybe more but these are the ones I've spotted as I've reccied the route over previous runs.

I've highlighted some fuel stops, the further North West they are the more expensive they are, there maybe others.

The camera icons indicate where we might try to get group pictures, the first of these is at Morar, but this will only happen if we are comfortably on-schedule for the ferry.

Still to come will be a schedule for the run to the ferry - it may be a bit tight ;) and some general run notes as a guide.

ELFMAN
8th March 2011, 09:53 AM
Excellent work!!!

I'm unfortunately in and out of hospital at the moment getting all sorts of tests.... I've got everything crossed, as apart from the obvious health issues, I'd really hate to miss this trip...

The Dogfather
8th March 2011, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear that, I hope you're OK

Craig
8th March 2011, 10:07 AM
Excellent work!!!

I'm unfortunately in and out of hospital at the moment getting all sorts of tests.... I've got everything crossed, as apart from the obvious health issues, I'd really hate to miss this trip...

Hope your doing ok wee man. Were thinking of you ;)

ELFMAN
8th March 2011, 11:30 AM
Cheers guys, must admit I'm a wee bit anxious at the moment... but there are some things you just can't accelerate away from! :hand: Better safe than sorry. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
8th March 2011, 11:42 AM
Euan hope things are all ok mate.

Stewart
8th March 2011, 04:26 PM
Euan All the best with the tests!

We want that Elf car on the run. It’s a good excuse anyway to get value for money out of your set up on the car. As you know you’ll enjoy the tweaks on a run like this.

Alex from NM
8th March 2011, 09:53 PM
I took a look there at the Quiraing Road at the top I just hope the shop is open at the top in May.:smilewinkgrin:

Don't be knocking the van. I've bought bananas off him when I did a march over part of the Trotternish Ridge :D

The Dogfather
8th March 2011, 11:22 PM
The Quiraing Van as endorsed by Lord Alex of Mackem ;)

Stewart
9th March 2011, 12:02 AM
It's the kind of thing you expect nothing at the top then find that there is a Van like this or Cabin that sells the best burgers on the planet. Or you order what looks like a great Burger only for everyone to take off in the Mini's............:smilewinkgrin:

Just when Paul got the Map up I went looking, it really is stunning some of the pictures people have taken around the area.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/7057793.jpg

http://www.photoradar.com/sites/all/themes/photoradar/media/images/transpx.gif

Crombers
9th March 2011, 02:04 AM
Excellent work!!!

Thinking of you mate

ELFMAN
11th March 2011, 04:07 PM
:off topic:

Just to let you know that the tests found nothing drastic :thumbs up:, but I have to go in for an op. in the next few months to sort out a few bits and pieces. :ragin:

Thanks for the good wishes folks! :bigwave:

Craig
11th March 2011, 04:16 PM
:off topic:

Just to let you know that the tests found nothing drastic :thumbs up:, but I have to go in for an op. in the next few months to sort out a few bits and pieces. :ragin:

Thanks for the good wishes folks! :bigwave:

Glad things are better than u thought. Look forward to seeing you soon ;)

The Dogfather
11th March 2011, 04:34 PM
Good to hear that its nothing serious

GCA3N
11th March 2011, 05:39 PM
Good news Euan :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
14th March 2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys. Life has a nasty habit of throwing spanners in your Works!

The Dogfather
18th March 2011, 09:39 PM
OK, I'm going to have a final tidy up on the list.

Can the four people who haven't confirmed that they've made a ferry booking please PM if they are still attending.

If I don't hear from you by Sunday evening then I'll assume that you're not attending.

Stewart
23rd March 2011, 05:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4BML78rfQ

With some software and some of my pics, just a quick play. Posted it last week on NM but as the sun is out today and as I was sorting out my car cleaning stuff for use I was thinking about the trip...... Monty Hall was back on the Box at Applecross on the blighty channel at the weekend.

Its U-tube Quality but the High Def version came in at 3.6Gigs:smilewinkgrin:…but then it looks
crystal clear and in focus. For some reason it lags a wee bit from links on Utube it runs fine..

Gismo
23rd March 2011, 05:45 PM
Nice one Stewart :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
23rd March 2011, 07:26 PM
I've drove the route from Stirling to Aberfoyle last night on Google Maps, I'm intending to do the same for all the bits I couldn't reccie in the motorhome.

Stewart
23rd March 2011, 09:28 PM
A few parts of the road are getting resurfaced right now by the looks of it so should be fine for the run, only Glenfinnan has work with a date ending in July of this year so we can expect lights there. Been looking with an App called "Traffic lite" on the phone that seems not to bad.

As with the Google I've done wee bits on skye just to get an idea what the roads are like as I've only been on Skye the once before the bridge was finished.

weefossy
24th March 2011, 10:39 PM
Great pics Stewart, brought back very good memories....roll on May

Crombers
15th April 2011, 05:14 PM
Starting to smell that 'Cooper S' in me target zone & givin it laldy :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
16th April 2011, 12:21 PM
4 weeks to go guys, watch this space for run notes etc.

Craig
16th April 2011, 01:34 PM
Looking forward to the bit we can do;)

Stewart
16th April 2011, 02:33 PM
Yes I'm that sad:blush::smilewinkgrin:

Its on the I-phone...scary thing was it was at 120 odd days and it seems to have jumped to the point I'm thinking not long now.....:thumbs up:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/photo.jpg

The Dogfather
18th April 2011, 08:52 PM
Run Format Day 1,
For those of you who haven't been on the Highland Tour before the format for the first day is a little different to most other MINI runs. As the roads from Stirling to Fort William are fairly busy we don't tend to try to stay together as a group, as a result you'll need to be able to follow the route without a MINI in front. This works out quite well as it allows everyone to travel at their own speed and we normally have regular regroup spots along the way. Sat Nav routes will be provided for TomTom devices and a google map route for non sat nav'ers.

With this year's run the ferry crossing means that we'll have to press on a little to be certain of making it to Mallaig on time, therefore I'm planning to have only 1 regroup point at the 'Green Wellie Stop' in Tyndrum. Most of you will remember this as the spot were everyone followed Craig whilst myself and a few other cars carried on wondering where everyone had got to :D. An informal stop will be for fuel at Fort William, everyone should fill up here to be sure of making it around Skye.

As there are fewer cars this year once we've got to Skye the plan will be to 'convoy', although I'm happy for people to make their own pace if they wish to do so. All I ask is that you just let me know on the ferry so that we aren't waiting for you. In addition if people wish to drop part of the lap of Skye they should let me know at one of the regular regroup spots on Skye.

<this will be in the run notes>

ELFMAN
21st April 2011, 02:53 PM
I've been so caught up in all the medical nonsense that I had forgotten to get excited about the Highland Run!!!!

The Dogfather
21st April 2011, 09:29 PM
Erm, don't get excited might raise the BP, think calm thoughts :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
22nd April 2011, 10:41 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :argh:

Stewart
25th April 2011, 03:15 PM
Highland Tour Day 1 (http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=5727&d=1303667482)

Highland Tour Day 2 (http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=5726&d=1303667482)
TOM TOM Tyre Files above :smilewinkgrin:

Disclaimer: The user uses these files at their own risk, to be used purely as a driving aid and should not be taken as gospel, please adopt a common sense approach. If it tells you to drive over a cliff it is your own choice to do so. Please note there is a ferry crossing its always best to wait for the ferry although the Sat Nav will direct you down the slipway and into the water this is only advisable if you have a white Lotus James bond car!

If you find yourself up the drive of a dear old lady in the highlands with her washing gently flapping and her looking at you with a confused look, its ok the Sat Nav has taken a wobbly. If you feel cause for complaint please feel free to Email. (Do.it.yourself@lazyarse.com)

We hope you enjoy using the files and have a nice day.

19 days to go it's about time I start thinking about giving the car a dam good clean, de-tar,polish and wax and everything else.......:blush:

The Dogfather
25th April 2011, 08:48 PM
I've just got my windscreen replaced just in time for the tour, saves cleaning the inside ;)

The Dogfather
25th April 2011, 08:53 PM
Stewart, thanks for posting the routes. The run notes are currently being pulled together and I should have these out well in advance of the run

ELFMAN
26th April 2011, 01:12 PM
I've just got my windscreen replaced just in time for the tour, saves cleaning the inside ;)

Bit drastic...

The Dogfather
26th April 2011, 02:52 PM
I didn't really have that much choice in it, TBH ;)

ELFMAN
26th April 2011, 03:31 PM
I didn't really have that much choice in it, TBH ;)

I just thought you couldn't be bothered to clean the old one!!! :smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
26th April 2011, 05:38 PM
I couldn't, but my hand was forced by a ruddy great stone.

Probably a good time to mention that we lost quite a few windscreens on the last tour, best to keep a decent distance between you and the MINI in front ;)

Stewart
26th April 2011, 11:20 PM
Yeah all that way round Scotland and as we drove out the Ski car park Andy W gave me a wee memento :smilewinkgrin:at the top of my screen…..just a very small nick but I was so annoyed at myself for being right up his bumper when we pulled out.:ragin:

GCA3N
26th April 2011, 11:22 PM
Just noticed this run passes by my front door, pity I won't be there to see you guys pass, or infact be on the run.

Forbes
27th April 2011, 09:48 AM
I couldn't, but my hand was forced by a ruddy great stone.

Probably a good time to mention that we lost quite a few windscreens on the last tour, best to keep a decent distance between you and the MINI in front ;)

Some guy in an old man's estate holding me up...

:moonie::moonie::ragin::ragin:

The Enrique's
1st May 2011, 11:14 AM
Put Me and Mrs. Jones please....

The Dogfather
1st May 2011, 12:27 PM
I'll add you to the list, can you let me know once you've booked accommodation and the ferry and where you are planing to stay, cheers.

Ferry Thread on NM (http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/showthread.php?5424-Ferry-Crossing-Time-to-Book)

Saturday Night Accommodation (http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/showthread.php?4850-Kyle-of-Lochalsh-(Kyleakin)-Accommodation-List-14th-May-2011)

Sunday Night Accommodation (http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/showthread.php?4851-Thurso-Accommodation-List-Sunday-15th-May)

The Dogfather
1st May 2011, 12:28 PM
Just noticed this run passes by my front door, pity I won't be there to see you guys pass, or infact be on the run.

Greig, we'll :moonie: as we pass if you'd like ;)

edit - I hope your car gets sorted sooner rather than later.

The Dogfather
1st May 2011, 02:26 PM
I believe a few people have been contacted about their booking for the Hotel in Thurso, they were just asking for credit card details as its less than 2 weeks away.

The Enrique's
2nd May 2011, 08:54 AM
Problem HELP ??? Ferry for the 13:45 sailing is fully booked! The ones available are for 12:45 and 15:10. Suggestion please before i book the room?

The Enrique's
2nd May 2011, 09:19 AM
Room booked at Mackinnon Country House Hotel and on the waiting list for available slot on the 13:45 ferry crossing. Fingers cross!!!

Stewart
2nd May 2011, 12:16 PM
Well done on the Hotel on Skye, Thurso?

I did not think the ferry would be full but there you go, glad every one booked.

If it was me I'd meet up with the rest and do the beginning in Stirling and do the Dukes pass etc but after that I’d just keep going to Fortwilliam to fill up and head for the earlier ferry so you make the Island part of the day.

I’m not 100% on times but I think if you pushed on to get that earlier ferry worst case scenario would miss being with the group on the busy not as stunning part and you would just have a nice break till we caught up. Although they say be there 45 minutes before for check in so really you’d have to be there at 12:00.

Although you could just take a chance and we can cross our fingers, but it would be a killer if we had to leave one of the Mini’s behind.:sad:

Well after a quick look its 158 miles to the ferry with the Dukes pass still in. I cant remember what our time to leave at the services but I’m sure it would be no later than 8:30 am and anything earlier would help you out if you were to go for the earlier sailing.

Don’t want to influence you in any way just running over my thoughts.

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 02:35 PM
I've replied to your message Enrique, I'm just waiting for Steve to get back to me now. If he's already given up the place on the ferry you should be able to get the earlier crossing or even take an alternative route via Glen Shiel and the Kyle of Lochalsh, which is a great road.

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 02:36 PM
I'm planning to leave at 8am from Stirling to be sure of catching the ferry whilst still having a decent stop at tyndrum.

The Enrique's
2nd May 2011, 02:50 PM
Problem is i am not very familiar with the road and will rely solely with my good mate snooper sat nav..... will wait for steve's decission then.

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 03:22 PM
Enrique, I always do extensive route notes and there's last years notes for the Glen Shiel route.

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 03:40 PM
Hi, I've had a response back from Stevey and the place has gone I'm afraid.

You should in theory be able to make the earlier crossing with time to spare if you miss out the Trossachs and head straight there. Link to route here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=stirling&daddr=mallaig&geocode=FYBQWAMddvHD_ykxeEM811eISDGtdtUCNx_w-w%3BFQ7SZQMdQAun_yn7xFU8ywKMSDEDCIn_duDXvg&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=57.235962,-5.872192&sspn=0.805636,2.466431&ie=UTF8&z=8) even allowing a bit of time to fill up at Fort William you should be able to make it.

The Enrique's
2nd May 2011, 04:19 PM
That's what we are going to do Paul... will just take the 12:15 ferry crossing and meet you on the other side. I will phone up Ian in Mackinnon with my CC tomorrow as he will hold the room for us up to wednesday.

Many thanks

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 04:50 PM
Can everyone who is coming please PM me their mobile telephone number, ta! I'll reply with mine.

I'll create a contact group just in case I have to get a message out whilst we are driving.

Craig
2nd May 2011, 05:05 PM
Can everyone who is coming please PM me their mobile telephone number, ta! I'll reply with mine.

I'll create a contact group just in case I have to get a message out whilst we are driving.

Paul, you should still have mine, if not let me know.

C ;)

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 05:09 PM
Craig, if its the one that ends in 406 then I've got it.

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 05:41 PM
Here are Day 1's morning route notes in PDF format, there's two versions one with maps one with just text, in case you have a crappy printer like me: -

Stirling Services, FK7 8ET to The Green Wellie Stop - MAPS (http://www.northernmini.co.uk/day1-part1-maps.pdf) - TEXT (http://www.northernmini.co.uk/day1-part1-text.pdf)

Green Wellie to Morrisons, Fort Willie - MAPS (http://www.northernmini.co.uk/day1-part2-maps.pdf) - TEXT (http://www.northernmini.co.uk/day1-part2-text.pdf)

Morrisons to Mallaig Ferry Terminal - MAPS (http://www.northernmini.co.uk/day1-part3-maps.pdf) - TEXT (http://www.northernmini.co.uk/day1-part3-text.pdf)

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 05:45 PM
I've chosen to stop at Morrisons, but if you need full fat fuel you can get this from the BP garage here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Ben+Nevis+Industrial+Estate,+Fort+William&aq=4&sll=56.0761,-3.921584&sspn=0.006491,0.019269&g=FK7+8ET&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ben+Nevis+Industrial+Estate,+Fort+William,+H ighland,+United+Kingdom&ll=56.831531,-5.073195&spn=0.012726,0.038538&z=15&layer=c&cbll=56.834925,-5.075368&panoid=GbUrqdNh9sRuoYhmtjmr_A&cbp=12,355.52,,0,0)

However, you'll need to double back and take the Mallaig turning (1st right) if you do.

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 06:08 PM
Here is the route notes for the Skye Tour, as we 'only' have 12 cars I'm going to try to keep the group together.

I'll play it by ear as far as stops are concerned but the route can be shortened at numerous points along the way. If you've had enough for 1 day then feel free to drop out just let me know before you do though. The first proper stop will be at Portree at the main car park in the centre, shops and toilets are nearby.

Skye Tour - MAPS (www.northernmini.co.uk/skyetour-maps.pdf) - TEXT (www.northernmini.co.uk/skyetour-text.pdf)

Crombers
2nd May 2011, 06:38 PM

Check :thumbs up:

Craig
2nd May 2011, 07:08 PM
Craig, if its the one that ends in 406 then I've got it.

Yep that's it ;)

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 07:23 PM
As above but for day 2.

Day 2 Route - MAPS (www.northernmini.co.uk/day2-maps.pdf) - TEXT (www.northernmini.co.uk/Day2-text.pdf)

Stewart
2nd May 2011, 07:41 PM
Paul if your still *****79 then I've sent a text.

Problem is i am not very familiar with the road and will rely solely with my good mate snooper sat nav..... will wait for steve's decission then.

if you have a Tom Tom the files are there to take you, you just need to download them and transfer them to the Tom Tom.....if not you put in a post code for Mallaig Ferry Terminal PH41 4PY your away.............:thumbs up:

Think its hitting home how close this is now, De-tared the car today and touched up some of the stome chips etc ready for a polish,glaze and wax, Trim ,windows and inside the car next week:smilewinkgrin:

Take the 3rd left onto Somerled Square ? I see there is a car park I thought it was the the big car park in portree at the front just a stone throw away from this square. I'll change the Tom Tom tyre file:Whistle:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=PH41+4PY&aq=&sll=57.000059,-5.830307&sspn=0.008005,0.019205&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Mallaig+PH41+4PY,+United+Kingdom&t=h&ll=57.412402,-6.196225&spn=0.001979,0.004801&z=18

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 08:14 PM
Take the 3rd left onto Somerled Square ? I see there is a car park I thought it was the the big car park in portree at the front just a stone throw away from this square.

Stewart, I know that car park but its a bit of a hike back up to the square which has a cash machine, toilets and shops. We'll have to play it by ear though as it could be busy. If we can't get in we'll have to go the the one on the front.

The Dogfather
2nd May 2011, 08:30 PM
Only thing left to add is 'the guide' this won't be ready till a few days before. It will have: -

*General info about the tour
*Locations of Petrol Stations along the route and prices, if available
*Locations of toilets along the route
*Confirmation of timings - 8am start from Stirling is fixed already.....

The Enrique's
3rd May 2011, 09:39 AM
Hi Paul,

That's all my booking confirm today..... Ferry crossing @ 12:15; Mackinnon in first night and as no available room in park hotel, managed to booked a B&B on the other side of the river, 1 Janet Street.

Cheers,

Enrique

The Dogfather
3rd May 2011, 10:48 AM
Nice one Enrique, lets hope the good weather returns in time Met Office are saying it should (at the moment)

The Enrique's
3rd May 2011, 10:56 AM
Don't you worry Paul I will pray to the"awakended one" for good weather!

Stewart
3rd May 2011, 08:41 PM
Expected heavy rain up here this weekend and to be truthful I’m quite happy, its been bone dry for weeks and weeks and you just get the feeling it needs a good downpour to clear the air and happy if it comes this Saturday and not the next.

It’s been blue Sky up here most days….Enrique put in a few extra shifts to "awakended one":thumbs up:

I was looking at the 16 day one and it’s changed back and forth. Remember that dull damp rain start on the loch on the first run and wee all know how that turned out. :smilewinkgrin:

Fingers crossed.

The Enrique's
4th May 2011, 08:32 AM
A dozen of egg and few incense usually is effective Stewart but not for the british weather though....???

The Dogfather
6th May 2011, 06:43 AM
Just over a week to go

http://www.northernmini.co.uk/Favourites5.png

More photos from the Reccie - HERE (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?21066-Highland-and-Island-Tour-Reccie-Photos)

Goonerij
6th May 2011, 07:09 AM
Stranger here :bigwave:

Nothing like wetting the appetite Paul :drool: .... Counting down the number of sleeps left until the off now .... Just hope we get similar weather to that which you enjoyed on the recce ;)

The Dogfather
6th May 2011, 11:13 PM
Timings for the Ferry chase: -

Stirling Services - Depart @ 08.00 sharp
Green Wellie Stop - Depart @ 10:15 sharp (estimate 30 min stop)
Fort William - Depart @ 11.30 sharp (estimate 15 mins to refuel)
Arrive at Mallaig at approx 12:30 - 12:45 (30 mins contingency)

The rest of the run we'll play by ear to a loose schedule.

GCA3N
7th May 2011, 06:07 AM
Greig, we'll :moonie: as we pass if you'd like ;)

edit - I hope your car gets sorted sooner rather than later.

Cheers paul I'll be offshore but mind a give a few toots going through port of menteith, hope the weather holds for you all.

The Dogfather
7th May 2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks Gman, I don't think the weather's going to play ball but we'll just have to see on the day.

The Dogfather
7th May 2011, 08:41 PM
OK, a wee bit earlier than I planned but I've decided not to include fuel prices, basically because its daylight robbery everywhere in the highlands.

Highland Tour - The Run Guide (www.northernmini.co.uk/HighlandTour2011v2.pdf)

The Dogfather
8th May 2011, 03:18 PM
Just had a 'virtual' drive along the Quinraing and then the Dunvegan loop on Skye, both bits I missed out on the reccie. Isn't Google Earth brilliant!

weefossy
8th May 2011, 08:10 PM
So looking forward to this :thumbs up: I'm amazed there are only a dozen or so cars going on the best run of the year.
And before we set of, a massive thanks to Paul for all the hard work he has put in and for his continued efforts in keeping the route fresh and interesting.

Thanks Paul

The Dogfather
8th May 2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks Malcolm, fingers crossed this one is just as good as previous runs.

BTW, 12 cars is just the right number for this years run.

Stewart
8th May 2011, 10:51 PM
Finally caught up with my car cleaning after the day started with a mega rain storm :ragin:just after 11am to become blue Sky at 2pm:cool: so decided as the forecast was saying it would stay dry to get stuck in.

So a bit more happy that the car is looking better with a polish & wax..:thumbs up:

The Dogfather
9th May 2011, 09:31 AM
Here are the approximate timings for day 1: -

8.00am Depart Stirling Services
09.45 Arrive Green Wellie Tyndrum
10.15 Depart Tyndrum
11.15 Arrive Fort William (refuel)
11.30 Depart Fort William
12.45 Arrive Mallaig - Ferry
14.15 Depart Armadale
15.15 Arrive Portree
15.45 Depart Portree
16.30 Arrive Quinraing Summit
16.40 Depart Quinraing Summit
17.00 Uig
17.45 Arrive Dunvegan
18.00 Depart Dunvegan
19.00 Arrive Kyleakin

If we choose to drop the Dunvegan loop we get to Kyleakin an hour earlier

The Dogfather
9th May 2011, 10:02 AM
And now the timings for Day 2.

08.00 Depart Kyleakin
09.15 Arrive Applecross
09.45 Depart Applecross
11.00 Arrive Kinlochewe
11.15 Depart Kinlochewe
11.40 Arrive Gairloch
11.50 Depart Gairloch
13.00 Arrive Ullapool
13.30 Depart Ullapool
14.15 Arrive Kylesku
14.30 Depart Kylesku
15.15 Arrive Durness
16.00 Depart Durness
16.45 Arrive Tongue Causeway
17.00 Depart Tongue Causeway
18.10 Arrive Thurso

ELFMAN
10th May 2011, 04:39 PM
He beat me to it, but I'd like to echo Malcolm's thoughts - THANKS PAUL. All the hard work is very much appreciated :thumbs up::yes nod:

I haven't done the NMS Highland Run before, as I've usually gone down to Oxford for the Factory Tour, but I have ventured along many of the roads in the past. I'm really looking forward to it, not just for the great drive and the great company, but it'll be a very welcome distraction from all the health stuff. I'm actually feeling OK, but I'll be taking it a WEE bit easier and trying to enjoy some of the scenery rather than trying to beat any Tarmac Special Stage times! :hand: Off to Docs tomorrow for test results and probable BP pills - wonder if I can claim V-Power on prescription :confused: I'll ask. :smilewinkgrin:

Duncan Stewart
10th May 2011, 07:08 PM
The run is looking great, can't wait for the weekend :cool:
huge thanks to Paul for organising it :thumbs up:

One small point on the timings - On Sunday morning the hotel starts serving breakfast at 8am. If Helen does not eat properly in the morning she will become ill so we can't make the 8am departure.
Is it possible to change? if not we will just catch you up later on

The Dogfather
10th May 2011, 07:39 PM
Duncan, didn't realise that the hotel only serves at 8am, I assumed it'd be available earlier. We'll all need a breakfast before we leave so it will have to be a later start. I'll have to try to make some time up during the day.

Maybe shorter stops at Applecross and Durness, we'll play it by ear.

Crombers
10th May 2011, 08:02 PM
We'll all need a breakfast before we leave so it will have to be a later start.

Brilliant :yes nod:

Duncan Stewart
10th May 2011, 08:08 PM
Duncan, didn't realise that the hotel only serves at 8am, I assumed it'd be available earlier. We'll all need a breakfast before we leave so it will have to be a later start. I'll have to try to make some time up during the day.

Maybe shorter stops at Applecross and Durness, we'll play it by ear.

Thanks Paul, that's great

The Dogfather
10th May 2011, 08:27 PM
This will probably mean a later finish as well, sorry.

Stewart
10th May 2011, 10:28 PM
THANKS PAUL. All the hard work is very much appreciated :thumbs up::yes nod:

I haven't done the NMS Highland Run before, as I've usually gone down to Oxford for the Factory Tour, but I have ventured along many of the roads in the past. I'm really looking forward to it, not just for the great drive and the great company, but it'll be a very welcome distraction from all the health stuff. I'm actually feeling OK, but I'll be taking it a WEE bit easier and trying to enjoy some of the scenery rather than trying to beat any Tarmac Special Stage times!

Its fine plenty room at the back:smilewinkgrin:, I’m always comfortably last. Although the occasional rip cant be helped. I loved chasing (Sorry following Malcolm in a mature and safe way) round the coast Road from Applecross.

Agree that a Breakfast is worth the later start that we can easy make up or be that wee bit later at the end. Last year sitting eating a full Scottish:smilewinkgrin: with stunning view before we left made sure we were ready for the day.

steveyt
10th May 2011, 10:46 PM
Just thought I'd stick a quick post in here (I'm from south of the border :)). I was due to be on this run however circumstances have dictated me dropping out. Hope you all have a good one and it is as good as the first one (which I passengered with Paul some may remember?) and as good as people said the second one was!

weefossy
10th May 2011, 10:49 PM
:thud:Just realised.......8.00am start :yawn: Might just mean dinner on Sunday night is a bit later, cause I'm with Helen & Duncan .......or we will have to drive a tad more "briskley"

The Dogfather
10th May 2011, 10:58 PM
If I'm paying to say in a Hotel then I'm not going to skip Breakfast.

I'm hoping Craig's getting his pinny on for Saturday morning and all ;)

Goonerij
10th May 2011, 11:42 PM
I appreciate some of you need your beauty sleep more than others :p .... but has anyone thought about asking if the Hotel can put brekkie on a little earlier for us? Say 07:30? :yawn: ... There'll be enough of us wanting it.

Craig
11th May 2011, 08:04 AM
If I'm paying to say in a Hotel then I'm not going to skip Breakfast.

I'm hoping Craig's getting his pinny on for Saturday morning and all ;)

Dinnae worry son, you'll be looked after..... By Jude obviously !! :lol:

The Dogfather
11th May 2011, 09:56 AM
I appreciate some of you need your beauty sleep more than others :p .... but has anyone thought about asking if the Hotel can put brekkie on a little earlier for us? Say 07:30? :yawn: ... There'll be enough of us wanting it.

Ian, it'll be fine we'll just have to press on a bit, shouldn't be a problem.

It just a bit of a shame so many people signed up and dropped out as we could have overnighted in Tongue rather Thurso but people's arrangements change.

The Dogfather
11th May 2011, 10:03 AM
Weather Outlook from Met Office for the Highland region.
Outlook for Friday to Sunday:
Sunny or clear spells and showers, the showers perhaps merging at times to give more persistent rain. Occasionally strong westerly winds. Gradually becoming mainly dry on Sunday and winds ease.

Pretty much the same as last year, temperatures look a bit cool though so warm coats needed for the stop but it should be warm in the sunshine.

Stewart
11th May 2011, 10:47 AM
Been keeping an eye on the weather. That low front that has been sitting is moving off to the north away from Scotland with High pressure moving up from the south possibly by Saturday.

To be fair the weather (Touch Wood) and football:smilewinkgrin: are looking a lot better for this weekend than was originally predicted:thumbs up:. The nearer Saturday the better the more accurate it will be.

I remember driving to the Loch on the first HT in the rain and we all know how lucky we were and last year to an extent.

Fingers Crossed.

The Dogfather
11th May 2011, 11:46 AM
As this might be the last HT that I organise I thought we'd better get some good photos (weather permitting), I'm putting together a list of good 'photogenic' places to stop. If anyone can suggest any others go for it!

The bit of the road Between Broadford and Portree that has the Cullin in the background. (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Portree,+UK&aq=0&sll=57.273718,-5.737352&sspn=0.006369,0.019269&g=Kyleside,+Kyleakin&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Portree,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=57.30636,-6.188307&spn=0.025267,0.077076&z=14&layer=c&cbll=57.306042,-6.188112&panoid=IdSHasl2HmV7fbevyq7Mkw&cbp=12,152.72,,0,15.33)
The Quiraing (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&q=Quinraing&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=57.628515,-6.289076&spn=0.10018,0.308304&z=12&layer=c&cbll=57.628515,-6.289076&panoid=BP-mnMsssCjv9WfQuEBoLg&cbp=12,24.81,,0,17.84)
Kyleakin with the Skye Bridge (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kyleside,+Kyleakin&aq=0&sll=57.418845,-5.708342&sspn=0.025374,0.077076&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kyleside,+Kyleakin,+United+Kingdom&ll=57.274217,-5.73761&spn=0.006322,0.019269&z=16&layer=c&cbll=57.273717,-5.73736&panoid=Dua8JxZR-MFc7hf_-vHIHA&cbp=12,316.86,,0,4.01)
Beleach Na Ba (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Poolewe,+Achnasheen,+UK&aq=0&sll=58.493514,-4.446201&sspn=0.024446,0.077076&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Poolewe,+Achnasheen,+Highland,+United+Kingdo m&ll=57.852973,-5.472736&spn=0.04978,0.154152&z=13&layer=c&cbll=57.853067,-5.472981&panoid=-EDhXL12YMZZunbq-9qqkQ&cbp=12,80.45,,0,12.58)
The hill above Gruinard Bay (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Poolewe,+Achnasheen,+UK&aq=0&sll=58.493514,-4.446201&sspn=0.024446,0.077076&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Poolewe,+Achnasheen,+Highland,+United+Kingdo m&ll=57.852973,-5.472736&spn=0.04978,0.154152&z=13&layer=c&cbll=57.853067,-5.472981&panoid=-EDhXL12YMZZunbq-9qqkQ&cbp=12,80.45,,0,12.58)
Kylesku Bridge (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kylesku,+Lairg,+UK&aq=0&sll=57.273394,-5.734928&sspn=0.006322,0.019269&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kylesku,+Lairg,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.257779,-5.026846&spn=0.02461,0.077076&z=14&layer=c&cbll=58.257516,-5.027637&panoid=onDHXyF3nkyIkwWRwqPong&cbp=12,98.47,,0,-1.9)
Balnakeil Beach (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Craft+Village,+Balnakeil,+Durness,+Lairg,+IV27+4 PT,+UK&aq=0&sll=58.257508,-5.027618&sspn=0.02479,0.077076&g=Kylesku,+Lairg,+UK&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Craft+Village,+Balnakeil,+Durness,+Lairg+IV2 7+4PT,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.576337,-4.768775&spn=0.012194,0.038538&z=15&layer=c&cbll=58.576337,-4.768775&panoid=vpmUSTS99aCDqbQHQLFw4Q&cbp=12,7.55,,0,0)
Tongue Causeway (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tongue&aq=&sll=58.576337,-4.768775&sspn=0.012284,0.038538&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Tongue,+Lairg,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.492181,-4.43577&spn=0.012223,0.038538&z=15&layer=c&cbll=58.492181,-4.43577&panoid=zhrzBDQKkpe22zyz-VsfqA&cbp=12,187.37,,0,1.4)

Burple
11th May 2011, 12:13 PM
The layby on the tongue side of Loch Eriboll on the A838 looking over the house and the island...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=58.499928,-4.657903&spn=0.011727,0.041714&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=58.500103,-4.657749&panoid=BUfBIKMZC5dO4Y7djYvaYA&cbp=12,232.95,,0,9.07

sorry for the quick link, got to nip out..

ELFMAN
11th May 2011, 03:21 PM
Got my BP tablets from the Doc - and have been assured I'm good to go at the weekend. BRING IT ON!!!!!

:thumbs up: :motoring: :clap:

I'll try not to sleep in on Saturday... :smilewinkgrin:

Just realised I'm now on the same pills as.... MY DAD!!!! :frown: Feel even older now :sad:
I'll just have to redline it a few times at the weekend to rejuvenate myself :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
11th May 2011, 05:09 PM
Burple Yeah that looks a good spot and I think I remember it from the first trip......I tend to drive about thinking that’s a great spot for a pic as I drive on.

In fairness to the rest I did hold them up on the first year by stopping a few times and doing a Griswolds (National Lampoon's Vacation) by trying to appreciate the surroundings in two minutes flat then moving on.

I don’t think we have done Beleach Na Ba justice on the picture front, I guess it would just need a few to go up first and walk back to catch the cars coming up, certainly I’d go ahead for once to get some pic’s

The Dogfather
11th May 2011, 10:44 PM
The layby on the tongue side of Loch Eriboll on the A838 looking over the house and the island...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=58.499928,-4.657903&spn=0.011727,0.041714&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=58.500103,-4.657749&panoid=BUfBIKMZC5dO4Y7djYvaYA&cbp=12,232.95,,0,9.07

sorry for the quick link, got to nip out..

Added it to my TomTom, it'll warn me as we get near. Thanks

Mini Ecosse
12th May 2011, 07:36 AM
Got my BP tablets from the Doc - and have been assured I'm good to go at the weekend. BRING IT ON!!!!!
:thumbs up::thumbs up:

ELFMAN
12th May 2011, 02:11 PM
Just a small query, how far North does V-Power/high octane exist? I know from experience it's very limited up there, but wondered whether it was more common these days?

Stewart
12th May 2011, 03:36 PM
As far as I’m aware there is no Shell garages on the west coast, they were bought and rebranded but as far as I know its still the shell stuff. They are called Gleaner.

There is one in Fort William, one at the Skye Bridge, Ullapool used to be a Shell but Greaner now too. Looks the same in Thurso (riverside garage). Was a shell now Gleaner.

Gleaner Oils Ltd: Gleaner Oils is an established Highland-based company distinguished for its dependable customer service and high quality products. As a distributor for Shell UK

Craig
12th May 2011, 03:47 PM
As far as I&rsquo;m aware there is no Shell garages on the west coat, they were bought and rebranded but as far as I know its still the shell stuff. They are called Gleaner.

There is one in Fort William, one at the Skye Bridge, Ullapool used to be a Shell but Greaner now too. Looks the same in Thurso (riverside garage). Was a shell now Gleaner.

Gleaner Oils Ltd: Gleaner Oils is an established Highland-based company distinguished for its dependable customer service and high quality products. As a distributor for Shell UK

The gleaner in Fort William is on the road out of the centre approx half a mile from the left turn onto the mallaig road. It's opposite Argos ;)

Stewart
12th May 2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah its on the Road and thats I think my first fuel stop to fill up/top up.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=PH33+6SU&sll=56.824706,-5.089414&sspn=0.008078,0.019205&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Fort+William+PH33+6SU,+United+Kingdom&ll=56.824337,-5.088707&spn=0,0.019205&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=56.824337,-5.088707&panoid=_FVs3mofbeEKy7vMVkSEXg&cbp=12,201.39,,0,8.85

The Dogfather
12th May 2011, 04:09 PM
As mentioned in the route guide, there is a BP Garage just after the turning to Mallaig it has signs up for BP Ultimate.

You'll have to turn around and come back to take the Mallaig turning but is actually right next to the BP.

Link to Google Map HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=PH33+6SU&sll=56.824706,-5.089414&sspn=0.008078,0.019205&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Fort+William+PH33+6SU,+United+Kingdom&t=h&layer=c&cbll=56.835324,-5.074953&panoid=9lUEqu2pPzvw9_oa4dW3VQ&cbp=12,236.25,,0,0.8&ll=56.835229,-5.07504&spn=0.006397,0.019269&z=16)

The Dogfather
12th May 2011, 04:14 PM
I've also zoomed in on the pumps at the BP at Broadford and they have the Ultimate branding on them, no big sign though.

Broadford BP (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&q=broadford&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&sll=57.242401,-5.910612&sspn=0.003019,0.009634&rq=1&ev=zi&split=1&radius=0.22&hq=broadford&hnear=&ll=57.241188,-5.907608&spn=0.003164,0.009634&z=17&layer=c&cbll=57.241168,-5.907409&panoid=DTkVWNzMXoqxFKPihGH8_w&cbp=12,357.55,,2,7.78)

Stewart
12th May 2011, 04:14 PM
Petrol in Glasgow Shock Horror was 1p cheaper today. :rolleyes:

I was not the only one trying to see the pumps in Google then:thumbs up:

RobSco
12th May 2011, 06:48 PM
As this might be the last HT that I organise I thought we'd better get some good photos (weather permitting), I'm putting together a list of good 'photogenic' places to stop. If anyone can suggest any others go for it!

The bit of the road Between Broadford and Portree that has the Cullin in the background. (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Portree,+UK&aq=0&sll=57.273718,-5.737352&sspn=0.006369,0.019269&g=Kyleside,+Kyleakin&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Portree,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=57.30636,-6.188307&spn=0.025267,0.077076&z=14&layer=c&cbll=57.306042,-6.188112&panoid=IdSHasl2HmV7fbevyq7Mkw&cbp=12,152.72,,0,15.33)
The Quiraing (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&q=Quinraing&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=57.628515,-6.289076&spn=0.10018,0.308304&z=12&layer=c&cbll=57.628515,-6.289076&panoid=BP-mnMsssCjv9WfQuEBoLg&cbp=12,24.81,,0,17.84)
Kyleakin with the Skye Bridge (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kyleside,+Kyleakin&aq=0&sll=57.418845,-5.708342&sspn=0.025374,0.077076&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kyleside,+Kyleakin,+United+Kingdom&ll=57.274217,-5.73761&spn=0.006322,0.019269&z=16&layer=c&cbll=57.273717,-5.73736&panoid=Dua8JxZR-MFc7hf_-vHIHA&cbp=12,316.86,,0,4.01)
Beleach Na Ba (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Poolewe,+Achnasheen,+UK&aq=0&sll=58.493514,-4.446201&sspn=0.024446,0.077076&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Poolewe,+Achnasheen,+Highland,+United+Kingdo m&ll=57.852973,-5.472736&spn=0.04978,0.154152&z=13&layer=c&cbll=57.853067,-5.472981&panoid=-EDhXL12YMZZunbq-9qqkQ&cbp=12,80.45,,0,12.58)
The hill above Gruinard Bay (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Poolewe,+Achnasheen,+UK&aq=0&sll=58.493514,-4.446201&sspn=0.024446,0.077076&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Poolewe,+Achnasheen,+Highland,+United+Kingdo m&ll=57.852973,-5.472736&spn=0.04978,0.154152&z=13&layer=c&cbll=57.853067,-5.472981&panoid=-EDhXL12YMZZunbq-9qqkQ&cbp=12,80.45,,0,12.58)
Kylesku Bridge (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kylesku,+Lairg,+UK&aq=0&sll=57.273394,-5.734928&sspn=0.006322,0.019269&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kylesku,+Lairg,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.257779,-5.026846&spn=0.02461,0.077076&z=14&layer=c&cbll=58.257516,-5.027637&panoid=onDHXyF3nkyIkwWRwqPong&cbp=12,98.47,,0,-1.9)
Balnakeil Beach (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Craft+Village,+Balnakeil,+Durness,+Lairg,+IV27+4 PT,+UK&aq=0&sll=58.257508,-5.027618&sspn=0.02479,0.077076&g=Kylesku,+Lairg,+UK&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Craft+Village,+Balnakeil,+Durness,+Lairg+IV2 7+4PT,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.576337,-4.768775&spn=0.012194,0.038538&z=15&layer=c&cbll=58.576337,-4.768775&panoid=vpmUSTS99aCDqbQHQLFw4Q&cbp=12,7.55,,0,0)
Tongue Causeway (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tongue&aq=&sll=58.576337,-4.768775&sspn=0.012284,0.038538&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Tongue,+Lairg,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.492181,-4.43577&spn=0.012223,0.038538&z=15&layer=c&cbll=58.492181,-4.43577&panoid=zhrzBDQKkpe22zyz-VsfqA&cbp=12,187.37,,0,1.4)

You've certainly picked some cracking First Class spots to take photo's... :yes nod:

Hope you all have an Excellent time and Enjoy The Highland Tour III, Look forward to seeing the photo's... :thumbs up:

Happy Highland Motoring to All... :motoring: