PDA

View Full Version : Insurance - have you declared factory fit options?

ascender
1st July 2004, 08:43 PM
I've been just getting quotes for the M3 and thought it was worth mentioning this to you guys. I think it was mentioned on Mini2 a while back but its only now I've clarified it with a few different insurers.

When you get asked if your car is modified when going for a quote, this used to mean have you done any performance enhancing mods, or exterior things like new alloys, bodykit etc. But a lot more are now taking this to include all factory-fit options over the standard, base-spec car. And they will charge you for every option you've added.

Now, I don't know how this would stand up in court, but I'm guessing the insurers have something in the small print to cover themselves.

Might be worth checking your policy.

KenL
1st July 2004, 09:27 PM
As far as I'm aware you must tell your insurance company about all mods to the car.

On factory stuff I know Directline ask for all changes over and above the standard vehicle. My golf has sports suspension and sports steering wheel. These did not change the cost of the insurance at all but on my MINI ONE the addition of alloy wheels did raise it slightly.

Scottie
1st July 2004, 09:37 PM
My mini is due and I have been checking out various companies listing exactly what I have factory fitted and modified.

What the companies told me is that they are only willing to cover it up to a certain value did not really matter what the modification was and BMW mini insurance were the ones to cover to highest value but not the cheapest.

ascender
1st July 2004, 09:46 PM
Yip, in the past I'd declared a value of the car which was basically the cost to replace it with a car of a similar age and spec. But now I've had to do this and declare options. I'm getting charged an extra 46 quid for sat nav, tv and heated seats for example.

Like I say, just thought I'd mention it in case anyone here is affected.

Smurf
2nd July 2004, 12:02 AM
My insurers (Direct Line) asked when I first got the MINI if there was anything not standard. They seemed to know what the CHILI pack was.

I phoned and told them about my stripes (which had them WELL confused until they found out it was a MINI, and then they understood perfectly !! :) )

The stripes didn't alter my premium at all.

Kirsty
2nd July 2004, 01:17 AM
I'm with Directline too and when I went for a quote for my S they asked whether or not it had a chilli pack!! So I agree with you Smurf they must have someone on the inside!!! HEE HEE!!!! Not sure if it altered my ins or not tho!!

john
2nd July 2004, 02:08 AM
I gave my insurers a photo of the car and a copy of the purchase invoice.

So they cannot say there is anything i did not tell them:)