PDA

View Full Version : front bumper lip

bry_mini
16th May 2010, 02:35 PM
has anyone had problems with the lip under the front bumper? it seemes to scrape on everything lol. mine has actualy burst and left the bumper wobbly (sild into pavement during the winter). should i just cut it off??

bryan

Fartin Martin
16th May 2010, 04:45 PM
mines scrapes too!..i've heard of folk cutting it off to stop this! ;)

jdl_1967
16th May 2010, 05:13 PM
My car is on the standard MCS suspension but with smaller 15" wheels and 195/50 tyres which have lowered the car slightly, it hits every sleeping policeman unless I crawl over them and if I were to go anywhere near a curb, I'd probably take the whole front bumber off! To be honest, as much as a pain that it is, at least it warns you prior to damaging something else.

I was speaking to someone about this the other day and it is apparently there to protect the bottom of the gearbox from flying stones.

stoney
16th May 2010, 05:37 PM
I have the jcw set up on my GP and mine scraps all the time but as said it's a good warning :;):

bry_mini
16th May 2010, 07:17 PM
when i reversed the car off the kerb it burst the lip and pulled the bumper bursting a couple of clips, the bumper feels like its holding on by the top clips and is a bit wobbly.:ragin:
anyone know how many hold it on??
i was thinking it would be beter to have the lip so if i cant fix the clips i might just replace the bumper :argh:

Forbes
16th May 2010, 07:47 PM
Take the dremel to it. I did that on my S bumper and my GP bumper doesn't scrape either

Craig
16th May 2010, 07:52 PM
Your bumper has 2 torq bolts up by the radiator, 2 bolts holding the upper corners to the plastic wheel arch trim and 3 screws under neath holding the bottom to the front ;)

GCA3N
16th May 2010, 07:56 PM
Take the dremel to it. I did that on my S bumper and my GP bumper doesn't scrape either

I think yours was neccessary though ben being you only have about 20mm now from the deck lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bry_mini
16th May 2010, 08:52 PM
cheers craig!

i have defo burst the bottom screws and an arch.

Mon the fish
17th May 2010, 06:59 AM
2 screws under the bonnet, at the edge of the radiator (easily seen); one in each wheelarch; and three underneath, where the lip is - chances are you've damaged them, so only the top screws are holding the bumper on

bry_mini
18th May 2010, 07:09 PM
decided i am gona replace the bumper! not to sure about the likes of fleebay as it might not be a perfect fit but recon it will be fairly pricey from a dealer, where should i buy from??

Forbes
18th May 2010, 11:07 PM
decided i am gona replace the bumper! not to sure about the likes of fleebay as it might not be a perfect fit but recon it will be fairly pricey from a dealer, where should i buy from??

Is the bumper damaged or just the trim? If you do replace it you might aswell take the lip off while the bumper is off the car

bry_mini
19th May 2010, 04:14 PM
yeah its burst at the bottom, n full of stone chips. was gona just paint it but it will anoy me so a new bumper it is.