PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Runflats with 'normal' tyres

liviboy
13th May 2010, 11:48 AM
Hi guys, long time no speak!

I'm going to need to replace my front two tyres on my R56 CooperS next week. I'm thinking about changing all 4 over to NON run-flats for two reasons. Firstly for a less bone-jarring ride and secondly because I'm fed up having to buy new ones every time I get a nail in them as I can't find anybody that will do a repair (seems to be some ambiguity as to wether or not you can repair run-flats).

I did it on my last CooperS and the difference ride wise was dramatic and I never had to use the can of sealant and electric air pump I carried in the boot.

Anyway, I've got 205/45 R17 Dunlop SP Sports on the car at the moment and was looking for suggestions for the NON run-flats. Don't need top of the range, looking for something that will keep up with a reasonable amount of 'heavy right foot' useage but not need replacing in 10k miles!

Thanks in advance for any replies! :thumbs up:

Craig
13th May 2010, 12:04 PM
Good choice in changing ;)

tyre choice depends on budget... Cheaper tyres - I would go with falken fk452 or Khumo ecsta sport

a bit dearer, toyo proxes t1r or Goodyear eagle f1... ;)

as I say kinda all depends on your budget and driving style. Changing the tyres size to 205/40/17 or 215/40/17 will also give you a bigger choice ;). Check camskill out for good prices

Doug_m
13th May 2010, 12:28 PM
I 2nd toyo proxes T1-R's!!

Magic Tyres :)

N16SHP
13th May 2010, 12:47 PM
Anyone had much success in using the can of sealant? We briefly discussed this at the last Aberdeen meet as i'd just shelled out for new RF's, and my Mrs got two new tyres for her Clio for less than the price of one for mine!

The Dogfather
13th May 2010, 12:47 PM
Toyos are crap, they came bottom in a recent test and my own personal experience cback this up, Falken FK452s grip but they're noisy (I have them at the moment).

This is probably the best of the recent reviews as it was on a car with similar weight and power to the MINI.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2009-Auto-Zeitung-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

The Hankook Evo V12 come out very well on price vs performance.

ianking
13th May 2010, 12:50 PM
I recently removed the run flats on my R56 JCW. There was too much power going through the front wheels for the run flats to cope with.
Have Toyo Proxy and it has made a big difference. Think my price fitted was about £102 all in. Wouldnt go back to run flat on a MINI again.

Big Gordy
13th May 2010, 01:24 PM
What about Federals:confused: John, the ex-racer rated them highly:thumbs up:

Hogman
13th May 2010, 01:36 PM
The Kumho KU31's have a very well respected reputation for being an excellent road tyre and not too expensive either, although I think they can tend to struggle on long sessions at the track but perfect for road use.

ianking
13th May 2010, 01:38 PM
What about Federals:confused: John, the ex-racer rated them highly:thumbs up:

I have had these in the past and the road noise from them is worse than the run flats.

GCA3N
13th May 2010, 03:05 PM
As far as non rf's go then others are better to comment. However the dunlops can be repaired I have had 3 done as long as it's in the 3/4 middle of the tyre not unlike a normal tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes
13th May 2010, 06:24 PM
I would stick with the 205/45 if I was you. I have had most of better known tyres, and would rate Yoko's or the Falken's.

My advice though would be avoid "budget" tyres at all costs if you enjoy back road runs.

GCA3N
13th May 2010, 06:29 PM
I would stick with the 205/45 if I was you..

Ditto that I ran profiles of 40 and 35 and the ride quality drops dramatically. Looks good though.

The Dogfather
13th May 2010, 06:31 PM
215/40s are acceptable on the R56 as the ride is generally softer

Scottie
13th May 2010, 06:33 PM
I have got myself some runflats:frown::frown: wanted then for the highland tour so that I didn't have any worries about punctures, now that I can't go on the run:sad: I am just going to fling the tyres and wheels on the car for a while anyway.:frown:

The Dogfather
13th May 2010, 06:33 PM
One tyre not mentioned so far is the Uniroyal Rainsport 2s, amazing performance in the wet and v.good performance in the dry with plenty of tread. Only downside is they are a little hard to get hold of.

Mon the fish
13th May 2010, 07:48 PM
Had Toyo's, hated them as they felt really wooden. Loads of grip though. Falken's were ok, good all round, but I've went back to Yoko Parada's - I don't use the car in the rain, so not bothered about wet grip, but they're fantastic in the dry

Sheilz
13th May 2010, 11:14 PM
One tyre not mentioned so far is the Uniroyal Rainsport 2s, amazing performance in the wet and v.good performance in the dry with plenty of tread. Only downside is they are a little hard to get hold of.

These are excellent tyres. Am really pleased with how Dougall handles with these. Ideal tyre for Scottish weather!

liviboy
14th May 2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks everyone for such comprehensive replies.

I've decided to go for the Toyo Proxes T1-R's, getting all 4 fitted tomorrow morning. Out of interest, those that have them, what pressures are you running them at? Just wondered if you're better using a different pressure than that recommended for the run-flats.

Craig
14th May 2010, 11:52 PM
I use them with 32 psi all round ;)

Stewart
15th May 2010, 12:16 AM
Have to say the normal tyres are fantastic. That was me just out in the brand new Mini with Michelin Energy tubeless normal 15’s and what a difference from My Mini with the 16’s on Runflat. You'll enjoy the difference.

The car is so much comfortable and does not crash and bang along the Glasgow roads. Its going to be a shock again when I jump back into the my cooper.

Does anyone know if the BMW electric pump has sealant, I’ve not read the Book yet and if you can buy the package. My cooper just has the jack?

But back on Topic If I keep my Cooper another year its going on non-runflats.

The Dogfather
15th May 2010, 05:43 AM
Thanks everyone for such comprehensive replies.

I've decided to go for the Toyo Proxes T1-R's, getting all 4 fitted tomorrow morning. Out of interest, those that have them, what pressures are you running them at? Just wondered if you're better using a different pressure than that recommended for the run-flats.

If you don't mind me asking but why?

They came last in the independent review that I posted and opinion on here was mixed. Did the garage push them?

Forbes
15th May 2010, 08:40 AM
I use them with 32 psi all round ;)

33psi front and 34 psi at the back for me:smilewinkgrin:

Fartin Martin
24th June 2010, 02:31 PM
I'm starting to look at tyres now..last time I bought Toyo Proexes 4..thought they were pretty good..dunno weather to go for those again! :confused:

The Dogfather
24th June 2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, buy the Toyo Proxies because despite every review of them saying there crap people seem to believe the tyremonkeys who say they're great.

Uniroyal Rainsport 2s or Hankook Evo V12, or if you're short of cash than Falken FK452s but they're a little noisy.....

Stewart
24th June 2010, 04:49 PM
If anyone is doing this and has a decent rear set of 16 RF give us a shout. I dont want to spend £400 on a full set. My front two are low but legal but its actually putting me off going on other runs this year.