PDA

View Full Version : Machine polishing

GCA3N
12th May 2010, 01:31 PM
Not the best way to start a thread but my new Megs G220 arrived today, however, it had bits missing. Not a happy chappie so now waiting for them to arrive.

Anyway gonna be posting up some of the results, hopefully good ones. watch this space.

Big Gordy
12th May 2010, 02:32 PM
Hope my 'supplier' hasn't left anything out of our Porter polisher kit or there will be trouble :hand::smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
13th May 2010, 06:24 PM
the rest of the parts arrived today:clap: now just need some good weather.

Forbes
13th May 2010, 06:25 PM
Could be a while depending which forecast you look at

GCA3N
13th May 2010, 06:27 PM
Could be a while depending which forecast you look at

I know what was it like up your way, it was winter here today 7Deg C windy and raining. :0(

Looking at BBC1 just now looks better tomorrow.

Stewart
13th May 2010, 06:46 PM
I decided that I’d go down the MP route if I had a garage. not essential I know but I have this idea of washing the car and the taping it up only for the rain clouds to appear. :frown: But from what I read on the net once you crack it, it’s a great addition.

Good luck when you do it, and remember do the customary door reflection before and after……:thumbs up:

GCA3N
13th May 2010, 07:19 PM
remember do the customary door reflection before and after……:thumbs up:[/SIZE][/FONT]

You know me mate not scared off putting up some piccies. Will be doing the wife's motor first so should see big improvement.

k3ith
14th May 2010, 04:46 PM
I used to have a PorterC but it was to much hassle with 110v power supply so I sold it. But I am tempted by the low price of the outgoing V1 G220(new one out Sept) @ below a ton its rude not to.

..S-J..
14th May 2010, 05:58 PM
My first G220 had a part missing, managed to get it all sorted though

GCA3N
15th May 2010, 09:23 AM
ok so got out the new polisher and gave it a whirl yesterday. I'll be honest it was harder than I thought and it took me a couple of hours before I started to really get a feel for it.

In short the car's bodywork is shocking but then again it's nearly 10 years old. Spent approx. 4-5 hours and managed the bonnet front quarter drivers side and drivers door, damn it's a big car.

Due to fatigue setting in and interruptions due to the great British weather I never finished but I did take pics of the panels done.

Any hints and tips appreciated...like don't turn the polisher on with polish on the pad until it's touching the car, as you get a lovely spray pattern all over the car, me, the dog etc.:laugh:

Delboy
15th May 2010, 11:27 AM
Jeepers that's shiney :eek:. What a difference :thumbs up:.

Bazthemod
15th May 2010, 12:11 PM
Any hints and tips appreciated...like don't turn the polisher on with polish on the pad until it's touching the car, as you get a lovely spray pattern all over the car, me, the dog etc.:laugh:

Hahaha yeah done that couple times when i started out!

Looking good Greig def improvement - There are some videos on youtube that show you the technique as reading instructions doesn't always make sense i found these helpful.

Doug_m
15th May 2010, 12:28 PM
Nice :thumbs up:

well done for a first attempt!
the hardest thing is keeping the damn swirls away :argh: lol

Stewart
15th May 2010, 01:03 PM
That door looks great, it’s all great before and after but a nice wide shot of the car helps appreciate the effect.:smilewinkgrin: Think the way to go is as you said its hard going is to be able to do so many panels one day and roll the car into a garage and dust off or rinse the next day to finish the rest.
Good going all the same by the time you get to your S you’ll have it cracked. :thumbs up:

Love the reflection of Kym at the front door says it all. She’s thinking “ He’s taken this too far “ and nodding to your comments saying “ aye that looks great” ;)

N16SHP
15th May 2010, 03:53 PM
Wow, I didn't realise it would make such a big difference, very impressive. I do enjoy the pic of Kim also, but I think she's thinking well least his obsession is finally benefitting me, although give it a week and I wont care lol!

GCA3N
15th May 2010, 04:41 PM
Jeepers that's shiney :eek:. What a difference :thumbs up:.

Thanks Del.

Hahaha yeah done that couple times when i started out!

Looking good Greig def improvement - There are some videos on youtube that show you the technique as reading instructions doesn't always make sense i found these helpful.

Cheers Baz gonna have a look and see if any of them can give some advice.

Nice :thumbs up:

well done for a first attempt!
the hardest thing is keeping the damn swirls away :argh: lol

Cheers too true about the swirls.

That door looks great, it’s all great before and after but a nice wide shot of the car helps appreciate the effect.:smilewinkgrin: Think the way to go is as you said its hard going is to be able to do so many panels one day and roll the car into a garage and dust off or rinse the next day to finish the rest.
Good going all the same by the time you get to your S you’ll have it cracked. :thumbs up:

Love the reflection of Kym at the front door says it all. She’s thinking “ He’s taken this too far “ and nodding to your comments saying “ aye that looks great” ;)

Cheers yeh Kim shows more enthusiasm than she should, but it was her car getting some TLC so she cannae say anything :lol:

Wow, I didn't realise it would make such a big difference, very impressive. I do enjoy the pic of Kim also, but I think she's thinking well least his obsession is finally benefitting me, although give it a week and I wont care lol!

It really does and bare in mind kim's car gets kept clean and I use super resin and wax on it. It's just that the paint work now is tired lookiong and needs more than elbow grease to make a difference.

Thanks all for you kind comments :thumbs up:

Scottie
15th May 2010, 05:31 PM
Looks good

k3ith
15th May 2010, 07:29 PM
It might be worth claying the car before MP, getting a nice clean base to work from will add to the finish.

audrey
15th May 2010, 11:22 PM
Looks good :yes nod:

Gismo
15th May 2010, 11:42 PM
Wow, what a shocking state it was to start off with, i'd never let my car get like that :Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
16th May 2010, 12:54 AM

PMSL. Yeah, done that a couple of times before I caught on - slow learner.:laugh:

Cracking results Greig, looks excellent.:thumbs up:

A.:D

GCA3N
16th May 2010, 08:15 AM
PMSL. Yeah, done that a couple of times before I caught on - slow learner.:laugh:

Cracking results Greig, looks excellent.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Cheers Andy thanks for the comments. Learning slowly but surely.

GCA3N
17th May 2010, 08:31 PM
Right it was a perfect day for some detailing so got the stuff out to finish off the missus car and a nice treat for me with the mother in laws.

Ok the missus car first
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final116.jpg
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final115.jpg
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final114.jpg
A favourite of mine from the rear quarter.
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final113.jpg
Only did my drivers door
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final110.jpg
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final111.jpg
Pic turned out funny and with so much product on anyway it was only marginally better

Finally I had this to deal with, close encounter with a lorry, it could have been so much worse as the car was almost ditched. One of the down sides to Arran living.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final120.jpg
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final119.jpg
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final121.jpg

Didn't want to buff to much as the cuts were deep. Need to get a paint depth gauge so I can do more buffing.
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final122.jpg

As you can see I think I'll need a touch up paint too.Defo better than before though.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/final123.jpg

Thanks again for looking.

Stewart
17th May 2010, 10:27 PM
Missus car looks great, love your car in the reflection. Did you do the lights as well? Seen a few on Dw do it. Nice repair job as well.

And there is me thinking polishing the whole Car, Glazing the roof and Bonnet and waxing the whole Car and having a good go at cleaning the wheels I was doing good. Mind you at 3pm a nice rain cloud decided to stop right over the house a spit rain on and off for 45 minutes. Had to wait till it pissed off before I could dry the car at think about doing any more than a wash.

GCA3N
17th May 2010, 10:56 PM
Did u take any pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audrey
17th May 2010, 11:11 PM
Car looks really shiney good job :D

k3ith
30th May 2010, 11:28 PM
I mean to ask as it might help others here what pads did you use and products as i think you mentioned you got a kit, was it the black and yellow pads?

GCA3N
31st May 2010, 06:00 AM
I mean to ask as it might help others here what pads did you use and products as i think you mentioned you got a kit, was it the black and yellow pads?

Yeh it was a black and yellow pad, one for pollishing one for finishing. Also came with 2 grades of product/compound, an 83 and an 86.

Big Gordy
31st May 2010, 09:44 AM
This may be a daft question:rolleyes: but why did you mask off the rest of the car when doing the door :confused: I've seen folk do this before and always wondered why:popcorn:

GCA3N
31st May 2010, 10:43 AM
This may be a daft question:rolleyes: but why did you mask off the rest of the car when doing the door :confused: I've seen folk do this before and always wondered why:popcorn:

Good question, when I did the wifes car I found that, due to being new at this and having no technique what so ever, I was spraying pollish onto sections I didn't want to. Now when doing the missus car I though it was fine I would clean it off later, but TBH found getting it off quite hard.

I guess if you were doing the whole car this would not be as big an issue and you would only mask of windows, rubber, platic trim etc but I just wanted to test it on one panel and did not want to have to clean off adjacent areas.

I think as I become better at it I will work out a better routine/technique in order to avoid such issues but until then I needed the masking.

cooper-chick
31st May 2010, 11:06 AM
Hi,

Can i ask.....how one earth did you manage to repair that? Someone threw a hard egg at the passengers door of my car and its made like a shattering mark in a circle shape (if you know what i mean) lol and i don't know what to do with this?

Have you any ideas?

GCA3N
31st May 2010, 03:35 PM
Hi,

Can i ask.....how one earth did you manage to repair that? Someone threw a hard egg at the passengers door of my car and its made like a shattering mark in a circle shape (if you know what i mean) lol and i don't know what to do with this?

Have you any ideas?

I just used the machine pollisher on it TBH just kept at it for about 40 mins little bit at a time. It's not perfect but I have still to touch it up with paint then pollish it again.