PDA

View Full Version : NMS Modding vs Tradition Contd

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 07:32 PM
I can't think of a more ringing endorsement of the hospitality of Scottish people and the scenic quality of our roads than having an English "club" come up here for a weekend run:thumbs up:. I certainly don't see how that puts NMS in a bad light.:confused:

Although you could see this as me engineering the parting shot, and that's really not my intention, but if you want to slight NMS any further, can I suggest you raise a topic in the Feedback forum rather than in Stoney's thread regarding modding a GP.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Hold on I think 'slighting' NMS is a bit harsh?! Only airing opinion that seems to be shared by a few of us.

Firstly it puts NMS in bad light as surely should it not be us organising it in our home country?

Only raising these issues as clearly people have been put off from staying on the forum and no club is in the position to lose members.

I think the place needs a shake-up, bit of marketing drive, new members - the kinda feeling it had when Callum had the time to put into the site back in the day.

Delboy
10th May 2010, 07:52 PM
I must say that I'm a bit surprised to hear that NMS has an "anti-modding" reputation in some quarters :eek:. I'm a fairly new member but have been on a couple of runs and I've never, ever, got that impression about NMS or its members (and I'm an ex-Subaru Impreza driver so modding was the norm for me ;)). In fact, I felt kind of out of place at first having a standard car since almost everyone else had modded their Mini to some degree (sorted that now though :thumbs up:).

Yes, some folk think that standard is best, especially with special editions, and I can understand that although I don't personally agree with it. However, I don't feel the need to remap my Clubbie so that it is faster, or lower it to satisfy the "wheel gap police" :hand:, but other people might prefer doing that to their Mini rather than powder coating their alloys matt black or fitting a new stupidly short aerial like I have!

The point is, I believe that there is a great variety of tastes in NMS which make it a very interesting forum and club, and one which I have enjoyed being part of and have benefited greatly from over the past year since I bought my Clubbie. I'm sure that many of the newer members like myself will feel the same - hopefully they will confirm below :thumbs up:.

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 07:56 PM
And what reaction did you get wanting to paint your alloys black? lol Hmmm

I realise most cars on hear are modded and personalised thats why i cant understand some of the 'opinions' in the threads.

Scottie
10th May 2010, 07:57 PM
Firstly it puts NMS in bad light as surely should it not be us organising it in our home country?

I think that is a bit unfair Baz as the Highland Run was something Paul wanted to put together way back in the day on NMS but for whatever reason it took a few years for it all to come together and what do you know it turns out to be the best Mini Run.

Still think there are a good few runs put together by the usual NMS members, yes maybe the interest in them has dropped slightly but that's down several factors i.e fuel prices, been and done that run, to long a day or whatever.

AndyP & Lenore
10th May 2010, 08:05 PM
Hold on I think 'slighting' NMS is a bit harsh?! Only airing opinion that seems to be shared by a few of us.

Only raising these issues as clearly people have been put off from staying on the forum and no club is in the position to lose members.

I think the place needs a shake-up, bit of marketing drive, new members - the kinda feeling it had when Callum had the time to put into the site back in the day.

Baz I'm not sure why it should be us organizing a run in Scotland. We already do that with a fair number of successful runs attended by a healthy number of members.

When Craig organizes the Oxford run, I can't see Northern MINI members or MINI Torque members bitching that "we should have done that, it's in England". I realize that's not the best example as there are no MINI plants in Scotland, but I still don't see how/why (and I'm presuming you're talking about the highland tour) NM's run puts NMS in any kind of bad light.

A shake-up, marketing drive, new members.... agree 100%. Who's gonna pay for it? Have you noticed the site is a bit thin on commercial sponsors just now? And it's nothing to do with members not supporting sponsors, it's all to do with the recession and the fact that all commercial enterprises are having to look very carefully indeed where their marketing bucks are spent.

However, it's not my site, it's Alan's (Gismo) and I'm sure he'll be along soon enough to add his comments.

A.:thumbs up:

Delboy
10th May 2010, 08:11 PM
And what reaction did you get wanting to paint your alloys black? lol Hmmm

:laugh: Nice one Baz! Wait a minute though, didn't you say "no" to begin with :lol:.

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 08:17 PM
Because a run of that caliber in Scotland you would think should be a thing the home club should be proud of! Maybe its just me lol its like the FA Cup getting played at Hampden!

Who's going to pay? The members should that's how any club works! Northern Mini gets by charging sponsors £3 a month. We get alot more than that from John Clark alone so why is none of it spent on marketing. Why do we not have a presense at the dealership?

Northern Mini has business cards etc

Not doing this to 'slight' NMS - im raising these issues to make things better. Have a search on Mini Torque for NMS and see what they think.... opens your eyes!

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 08:18 PM
I do feel Baz has good points here and as a long serving member is in a good position to see how the site has changed over the years and his points warrant a discussion at least. Maybe a shake up or some ideas to freshen things is a good idea. What does seem to be at the forefront is the drop in run numbers, I am going to every run I am at home for because that's one of the best bits about NMS IMO, I think a lot of members need to start supporting them more (where possible). There does seem to be less people on here, but that could be me picking that up wrong.

If nothing else then I think the moderators need to get together and discuss the club's future (apologies if this is already been done).

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 08:21 PM
:laugh: Nice one Baz! Wait a minute though, didn't you say "no" to begin with :lol:.

Didnt comment on the thread Del lol... was only after i said i thought it wouldn't go at the time but after seeing it really works well. ;)

Nice try tho ;)

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 08:24 PM
If nothing else then I think the moderators need to get together and discuss the club's future (apologies if this is already been done).

Even a mod refresh? They should be like a committee and have someone from every angle and leading events discussions. Mods Mini owners to MINI owners , Young owners to Anci...(Mature);) owners..... even sponsors having more say.

Actually... who are the Mods?

Scottie
10th May 2010, 08:25 PM
Baz I done what you suggested and search MT. Now are you sure you are not falling under the spell of James from FOM. From what I understand he is a TWAT and the threads I had a quick glance over he was involved.

only really this thread.

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f10/my-side-story-10001/index6.html

The Dogfather
10th May 2010, 08:26 PM
Hi Baz, when I moved back to England I decided to create a NMS for the North of England because I was too far away from the runs in Scotland. I modelled the NM site very closely on NMS as I wanted to capture the same 'community spirit', I also saw it as the yardstick as far as success was concerned.

The Twilight Run was something I always tried to organise when I lived up in Turriff but the calendar was always full up with runs (mainly Craig's ;)) but eventually I managed to get a slot. I've always seen the Tour as a joint NM/NMS effort, its a great way for me to see my old friends and drive the roads I love. A run is only as good as the company, and last years was a cracker because of the people who came along.

RyanK
10th May 2010, 08:28 PM
Have a search on Mini Torque for NMS and see what they think.... opens your eyes!

Think this is just because of a feud a certain member has (or used to have i should put it) with the site. Don't know what happened, don't really care to be honest...but it's all been forgotten as far as im aware. No beef lol.

I just jump from forum to forum. Only reason I closed my thread on here is because it was mostly filled with comments in which came across as no one wanted me to own a gp as I was destroying a ltd car. At the end of the day there are 2,000 of the cars...they are not that rare imo.

I have no problems with anyone, even though most probably think im a tw@t with my internet talk :lol:

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 08:29 PM
deleted.

AndyP & Lenore
10th May 2010, 09:16 PM
I do see what you're saying Baz, however, the bad-mouthing NMS was getting on that particular thread is directly related to an argument between Alan (Gismo) and James.

I hope Alan heads over to view that thread as it really just reaffirms his reasons for withdrawing FOM sports sponsorship.

It's just not my place to give any details here, but I can assure you James is not being as open and honest with MT members about what happened as he should be. As I'm sure everybody is aware there are two sides to every story.

Mods:
The Gismo Man (Alan) is the site owner.
Me & Lenore and Craig are Admin - sort of a mod with extra site maintenance control access.
Big Gordy is a moderator - although I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he seldom waves his mod wand.

If the majority would like a re-fresh, I'd be happy to stand aside. If I'm honest, right now I am facing a massive crisis within my own business and don't have the time I used to have.

I'm not going to get into an argument over what the site raises in sponsorship and where that is spent as it has nothing to do with me, that is a business decision for Alan.

As Greig says, the runs and meets side of the site is what drives the site in the virtual world. Lenore and I used to organise 3 or 4 runs a year - as did Craig. In fact Craig is still organising events this year and Lenore and I are organising 2 or 3 events this year. If I'm honest, we simply don't have the time to organise more than this.

This site lives and breathes by the input from it's membership. As much as I don't agree with everything you (Baz) are saying, discussions like this are the best way to fix things before we end up with a MINI2 situation.:thumbs up:

And at the end of the day we ALL share one thing in common.... a passion for MINI.:yes nod:

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 09:19 PM
Hi Baz, when I moved back to England I decided to create a NMS for the North of England because I was too far away from the runs in Scotland. I modelled the NM site very closely on NMS as I wanted to capture the same 'community spirit', I also saw it as the yardstick as far as success was concerned.

The Twilight Run was something I always tried to organise when I lived up in Turriff but the calendar was always full up with runs (mainly Craig's ;)) but eventually I managed to get a slot. I've always seen the Tour as a joint NM/NMS effort, its a great way for me to see my old friends and drive the roads I love. A run is only as good as the company, and last years was a cracker because of the people who came along.

Valid points Paul, I also think there is a lot NMS can learn from Northern Mini too. I don't post often on Northern but read the forums everyday and i love the spirit the place has about it as you keep it fresh and market the site. I also love how the members have your site as their signature on other forums... how much loyalty does that show its great!

My point is i think we should concentrate on having something to be proud of, shout our name a bit louder as we have a lot of things we do well. We wont get there however if members are putting people off. Lets bring back Arbroath to how it was, lets bring back Manky Thrash but to do this we need numbers and people willing to run it.

As for falling under James' spell - what does that matter? If i was Joe Blogs on that forum the damage has already been done as i would come to a conclusion about NMS without visiting. Thats whats damaging our reputation on that forum.... there is more posts you find day to day but you cant search for 'nms' to see them all.

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 09:29 PM
I do see what you're saying Baz, however, the bad-mouthing NMS was getting on that particular thread is directly related to an argument between Alan (Gismo) and James.

I hope Alan heads over to view that thread as it really just reaffirms his reasons for withdrawing FOM sports sponsorship.

It's just not my place to give any details here, but I can assure you James is not being as open and honest with MT members about what happened as he should be. As I'm sure everybody is aware there are two sides to every story.

Mods:
The Gismo Man (Alan) is the site owner.
Me & Lenore and Craig are Admin - sort of a mod with extra site maintenance control access.
Big Gordy is a moderator - although I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he seldom waves his mod wand.

If the majority would like a re-fresh, I'd be happy to stand aside. If I'm honest, right now I am facing a massive crisis within my own business and don't have the time I used to have.

I'm not going to get into an argument over what the site raises in sponsorship and where that is spent as it has nothing to do with me, that is a business decision for Alan.

As Greig says, the runs and meets side of the site is what drives the site in the virtual world. Lenore and I used to organise 3 or 4 runs a year - as did Craig. In fact Craig is still organising events this year and Lenore and I are organising 2 or 3 events this year. If I'm honest, we simply don't have the time to organise more than this.

This site lives and breathes by the input from it's membership. As much as I don't agree with everything you (Baz) are saying, discussions like this are the best way to fix things before we end up with a MINI2 situation.:thumbs up:

And at the end of the day we ALL share one thing in common.... a passion for MINI.:yes nod:

Surely then NMS should be open with it's own members and let us know whats going on? I was shocked to read that on another forum having heard nothing about it here we only have one side of the story... I realise that our side of the story needs to be heard but until it is that's causing our reputation damage. Having been a part of setting up Northern Mini and watching it grow i think we would benefit from being much more transparent with the membership like they are.

If current mods are needing a break then im sure there will be other people willing to take some of the strain. I often feel it's not fair the same people get left to organise runs and maybe they deserve a break. Im personally looking into resurrecting the Manky Thrash as i loved this run.

Scottie
10th May 2010, 09:31 PM
Maybe it would a good idea to rotate moderators every so often so that we are always getting fresh ideas and fresh enthusiasm not that I'm saying anything is wrong with current moderators they seem fine to me.

maybe also an idea to have a couple of the youngs guys as moderators we could always vote on members that have been put forward to become moderators

on my other site I had a trouble getting good moderators then one new member came on to the site who was clearly a walking encyclopedia on the model and every post was detailed informative and helpful and only after maybe 50 posts I asked him to consider becoming a moderator and excellent one he is, what I am saying it's not always the established member that makes the best moderator an open mind I think is required.

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 09:33 PM
Im personally looking into resurrecting the Manky Thrash as i loved this run.

Excellent Baz make sure i'm at home LOL, i'd love to do that one.

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 09:37 PM
Maybe it would a good idea to rotate moderators every so often so that we are always getting fresh ideas and fresh enthusiasm not that I'm saying anything is wrong with current moderators they seem fine to me.

maybe also an idea to have a couple of the youngs guys as moderators we could always vote on members that have been put forward to become moderators

on my other site I had a trouble getting good moderators then one new member came on to the site who was clearly a walking encyclopedia on the model and every post was detailed informative and helpful and only after maybe 50 posts I asked him to consider becoming a moderator and excellent one he is, what I am saying it's not always the established member that makes the best moderator an open mind I think is required.

Some good ideas there scottie

AndyP & Lenore
10th May 2010, 09:39 PM
Surely then NMS should be open with it's own members and let us know whats going on? I was shocked to read that on another forum having heard nothing about it here we only have one side of the story... I realise that our side of the story needs to be heard but until it is that's causing our reputation damage. Having been a part of setting up Northern Mini and watching it grow i think we would benefit from being much more transparent with the membership like they are.

If current mods are needing a break then im sure there will be other people willing to take some of the strain. I often feel it's not fair the same people get left to organise runs and maybe they deserve a break. Im personally looking into resurrecting the Manky Thrash as i loved this run.

It's not for us to be open with you guys as it's not our site, it's for Alan if he wishes.

Also, we don't need a break, we only suggested we would step aside if everyone feels that they would like a new bunch of mods.

Forbes
10th May 2010, 09:44 PM
Im personally looking into resurrecting the Manky Thrash as i loved this run.

Do it.

I am also considering a more north east run

N16SHP
10th May 2010, 09:45 PM
Excellent Baz make sure i'm at home LOL, i'd love to do that one.

I've been thinking about getting together with Ben on organising a run up in Aberdeen. Do you have to be a Mod to organise this or can anyone organise it? We've been txtin today about it, and im sure we will get a rough route sorted soon.

Fartin Martin
10th May 2010, 09:46 PM
My wee bit on this..

I have to agree with Barry on this one..and I don't think he was dissing NMS.

I do think that some people's opinions are that if its not what they would do then you shouldn't be doing it and thats it. Unless I really like something that someone has done to their car..I tend not to comment. Would rather not say anything than risk upsetting anyone, although most people do tend to take it on the chin and say 'fair enough '

As for the site itself, I do feel as if its changed somewhat, even though I've only been here about a year or so..can't quite mind how long it is. I used to look forward to coming home and jumping on and spending most of the night browsing away..but it just isn't the same as when I first joined..and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Having said that, I do feel more welcomed here than some other forums, and I think most folk will know where I'm talking about. I've not been looged on there for a few months now..simply cos I can't be bothered with their attitudes to folk, other forums, peoples opinions, everything basically. It's their way and thats it..and if you don't go with that or voice your opinion, then your told to fack off. The points made about this site on there was a prime example of their way of thinking! Just my view on it ofcourse! I know a few members here are also members there, and I'm not including them in this.

I'm desperate to get on run's as I want to meet everyone, but work just doesn't allow this, and taking the time off is pretty much not gonna happen :sad:

Moan NMS :lol:

Forbes
I've been thinking about getting together with Ben on organising a run up in Aberdeen. Do you have to be a Mod to organise this or can anyone organise it? We've been txtin today about it, and im sure we will get a rough route sorted soon.
Anyone can. I think the route I suggested might work

AndyP & Lenore

Go for it, anyone can organise a run.:thumbs up:

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 09:47 PM
If I'm honest, right now I am facing a massive crisis within my own business and don't have the time I used to have.

Sorry Andy, im not pressing for change of mods just the impression i got from the above?

Also im talking about NMS in general not blaming the mods for not being open... as you say its Allan's decision and his site.

I'd just like to see some passion and fresh ideas to make a better site.... just a discussion not an argument :)

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 09:48 PM

Just post a thread and a mod will sticky it for you. Nice one Neil :thumbs up:

N16SHP
10th May 2010, 09:50 PM
Anyone can. I think the route I suggested might work

Ok cool, well when we get a spare moment (coursework sucks) we can get together and organise one, and get a rough route out for everyone and see who's interested. We were discussing today about the possibility of starting in Aberdeen and winding down to Perth via different northern towns to try and make it relatively friendly for the central folk, seems petrol is so high at the moment! We'll keep everyone in the loop!

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 09:55 PM
My wee bit on this..

I have to agree with Barry on this one..and I don't think he was dissing NMS.

I do think that some people's opinions are that if its not what they would do then you shouldn't be doing it and thats it. Unless I really like something that someone has done to their car..I tend not to comment. Would rather not say anything than risk upsetting anyone, although most people do tend to take it on the chin and say 'fair enough '

As for the site itself, I do feel as if its changed somewhat, even though I've only been here about a year or so..can't quite mind how long it is. I used to look forward to coming home and jumping on and spending most of the night browsing away..but it just isn't the same as when I first joined..and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Having said that, I do feel more welcomed here than some other forums, and I think most folk will know where I'm talking about. I've not been looged on there for a few months now..simply cos I can't be bothered with their attitudes to folk, other forums, peoples opinions, everything basically. It's their way and thats it..and if you don't go with that or voice your opinion, then your told to fack off. The points made about this site on there was a prime example of their way of thinking! Just my view on it ofcourse! I know a few members here are also members there, and I'm not including them in this.

I'm desperate to get on run's as I want to meet everyone, but work just doesn't allow this, and taking the time off is pretty much not gonna happen :sad:

Moan NMS :lol:

Yer talking pish man, sling yer hook.....:lol:

Joking aside good comments mate :thumbs up:

Fartin Martin
10th May 2010, 10:00 PM
Yer talking pish man, sling yer hook.....:lol:

Joking aside good comments mate :thumbs up:

Lol..aw you've been hanging about there too much eh! :p ha

Cheers Greig :D

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Lol..aw you've been hanging about there too much eh! :p ha

Cheers Greig :D

defo man.

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 10:16 PM
Just to pick this up from earlier thread that i missed....

Hey I resent that:hand::hand:.........:p:p didn't I put you on to those ultra cool led bulbs mod, I'm sure you bought a set:blush: you did didn't you. God I'm getting forgetful these days.:p:smilewinkgrin:

Sorry Baz, I'm with Craig on this one. There may be a couple of members who throw a hissy-fit with a slightly misaligned number plate, but the majority are very open to and encouraging of mods.:hand:

In fact, I've just checked your "viper" thread. Not a single negative post - before and after. Not sure where these "concerns" are.:confused:

Not once singled you guys out and this isnt directed at you. The comments were in my gallery and not the viper thread... Kens comments mostly but i have learnt to expect that of him and like his banter now. But if you didnt know Ken it might put you off?

Fi you mod more than most :P that leccy blue motor is an example of your mod obsession and you give fair comments.

Your right, Its the minority thats bringing about a negative vibe to modding cars and it stands out. Its like customer service they say people tell 10 other folks if they recieve bad service and about 3 people they tell about good customer service.

BTW bulbs are ace Fi, any further forward with the reg lights?

Scottie
10th May 2010, 10:20 PM
Just to pick this up from earlier thread that i missed....

Not once singled you guys out and this isnt directed at you. The comments were in my gallery and not the viper thread... Kens comments mostly but i have learnt to expect that of him and like his banter now. But if you didnt know Ken it might put you off?

Fi you mod more than most :P that leccy blue motor is an example of your mod obsession and you give fair comments.

Your right, Its the minority thats bringing about a negative vibe to modding cars and it stands out. Its like customer service they say people tell 10 other folks if they recieve bad service and about 3 people they tell about good customer service.

BTW bulbs are ace Fi, any further forward with the reg lights?

actually following a thread on the clubmanregister site a guy is changing all his bulbs to led and will wait and see what the results are.

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 10:21 PM
Cool, i fancy doing the interior ones too. Keep us posted ;)

Craig
10th May 2010, 10:35 PM
Looks in, thinks "feck it". And leaves

I feel that some members forget that those who do all the work on runs and meets get NOTHING from the club and finance it all themselves for the good of the members. I find it distasteful that I along with other organisers are being targeted... Just for the record the cancelling if my Argyll run was for family reasons....

Pretty much fecked off with how some people come on here and comment about there being no freshness etc but never organise anything.... And don't even get me started on the conduct of James....

A pretty much pissed off Craig. Cheers Baz

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 11:02 PM
Why take it personally Craig? Not targetted at you ... you probably do the most runs, selling of stickers, general promotion and god knows what else on here.

All i said was the negative comments were wearing people down and i think we should get some fresh ideas together ... no personal vendetta at all!? If we secure new members all the more people to take on the challenge of organising runs so the same people can have a break *IF* they want to. If the mods feel targetted I can't help that all i suggested was maybe some fresh blood on the mod team to get things going, you guys cant do it on your own.

If your meaning i never organise anything fair enough its been couple years since I organised the city square meet and invited people along to the Dundee Cruise event but i'm looking to take on Manky Thrash. Not everyone can organise runs... not everyone that works for an airline drives the plane! It takes everyone to work together.

Stewart
10th May 2010, 11:35 PM
I feel guilty now about responding to members “what do you think threads” especially Ryan’s if I said anything negative. Although I stick by my opinion I’d keep a GP original if I had one. Certainly did not mean you don’t deserve the great car or any less of anyone who does any mod’s to them.

It’s the first thing I loved about the Mini meets, my first being the Picnic Run last year. Loved seeing the different cars and what people had done to them.

audrey
11th May 2010, 12:18 AM
I feel guilty now about responding to members “what do you think threads” especially Ryan’s if I said anything negative. Although I stick by my opinion I’d keep a GP original if I had one. Certainly did not mean you don’t deserve the great car or any less of anyone who does any mod’s to them.

It’s the first thing I loved about the Mini meets, my first being the Picnic Run last year. Loved seeing the different cars and what people had done to them.

The thing is surely no-one should feel guilty for having an opinion we can't all like the same things. I think a lot of the comments made on this post today could put people off replying when asked what they think. Don't believe anyone is being deliberately negative just stating their opinions.

Bazthemod
11th May 2010, 01:04 AM
The point was constant negativity. Of course people have different opinions.

Anyway big world out there... just a forum about minis after all.

Back to the dissertation...

Happy 1000th post BTW Audrey ;)

MINI William
11th May 2010, 08:10 AM
Baz does have a point. I feel the site nolonger has the buzz that it used to have. I used to log on to NMS all the time to have a look at what was happeing and post if and when I could, I now log on have a look about see nothing has happened then log off. The site does need some fresh ideas to get that buzz back that we all love about NMS

Delboy
11th May 2010, 08:34 AM
...I now log on have a look about see nothing has happened then log off.

I don't understand what you mean by "nothing has happened"? What type of things do you expect to "happen"? There are many runs planned for this year (some of which have already taken place), there are other events like paintballing and crazy golf organised from time to time, folk meet up at Knockhill fairly regularly, there are very frequent Gallery Showcase updates showing new cars and mods to existing cars, there are always folk buying and selling items, frequent technical discussions on car problems, not to mention many Off Topic and Banter threads - seems to me that plenty is happening :yes nod: :thumbs up:.

Plus, and I hope you take this the right way, if you feel nothing is happening and simply log off again then you are not exactly helping matters. Wouldn't it be better to start a new thread or comment on someone else's to stimulate discussion? After all, NMS is only as good as its members make it :thumbs up:.

N16SHP
11th May 2010, 10:19 AM
Here's my two cents:

Being a new member, I cannot comment on how NMS used to be, but I can safely say I absolutely love logging on and reading all things Mini and discussing other topics to the point where my Mrs goes, "Are you on that Mini site again?" to which I reply "Yes....problem?" :D

I've also never had a negative comment on any of my gallery stuff (which to be honest is relatively minor mods) but if I did something and folk didn't like it, then that's their opinion and I wouldn't hold it against them. The GP thing of late is the only time i'd say there has been a hostile environment on here, but again at the end of the day, if people want to mod a GP then they should be allowed to, its your car and your the one who drives it everyday. If people don't like to see a GP getting modded then don't open the thread.

On a personal note, I have noticed that since Ryan got his GP he's very rarely on, and I used to love seeing all his little mods. I for one was looking forward to seeing what he would do with his GP as I felt it would be pretty tasteful.

I've put my name down for my first run this year, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also hoping that when we get a northern run sorted, most folk will come and give it a bash and support it.

These are all just my opinions of course, and I hope we can get over all this as like I said, I love this site, and love what it stands for, and love telling all my mates i'm part of the a Mini's owners club, and wear the sticker on my car with pride!

Bazthemod
11th May 2010, 10:46 AM
On a personal note, I have noticed that since Ryan got his GP he's very rarely on, and I used to love seeing all his little mods. I for one was looking forward to seeing what he would do with his GP as I felt it would be pretty tasteful.

This is main issue that annoyed me, Ryans a good mate and it's shame he doesn't use here as often as before.

Crombers
11th May 2010, 11:25 AM
Hostitly ......................... woo hoo :clap:

Me thinks that too many people on here need a thicker skin (surprising quote from me ... eh!!)

Just my 2p , so here go's .......................... when I joined this site in 2004BC it sure did seem a helluva lot busier and the banter was (in my opinion) 'miles' better than it is now. Jaysus if you think I'm bad for a 'bit of dig' then Big Col, Minime or Angus would have wiped the floor with a few on here now, ................... talk about 'feckin touchy'.
I also agree with Fiona that there comes a time when you do unfortunatley say to yourself 'been there, done that' for runs that you would have attended in the past.
The Highland Tour is a no brainer for me as Paul wanted to organise that kind of run in his NMS days when he used to be a poof or known as Bad Dog Mini.

As Andy P has stated it's Alan's site so he is the gaffer, end of. It does however seem to have gone a tad stale though & I do agree with Baz in that by staying as it currently is the club will not move forward. I actually noticed this most at Silverstone last year. When you looked at the effort put in by many southern & continental clubs we were put to shame, especially in 'attire' & the 'look at us factor'

PS my Coop is modded BTW :moonie: ................... get it roon ye :thumbs up:

PPS This thread 'could' prove to be this years No1 :yes nod:

audrey
11th May 2010, 11:27 AM
The point was constant negativity. Of course people have different opinions.

Anyway big world out there... just a forum about minis after all.

Back to the dissertation...

Happy 1000th post BTW Audrey ;)

Thanks Baz :thumbs up: 1000 posts I really need to get a life :blush:

Bazthemod
11th May 2010, 11:31 AM
Plus we all know you're a closet R56 fan Crombers ;)

http://www.loridavila.com/images/ladypeekingarounddoor2.jpg

Crombers
11th May 2010, 11:38 AM
Ok youngster .................................... ootside :ragin:

:thumbs up:

MINI William
11th May 2010, 12:27 PM
Correct there is loads happening in the off topic and banter part of the site but that is not why I log onto NEW MINI SCOTLAND and I find many of the things in off topic and banter are boring or don't concern myself. There are
many runs and activaties planned on the site which I either have my name down for, can't attend or don't want to attend as I've done them sevral times before.

I don't start new discussions as I have no need to start them or I don't have time to start them. I don't always add commetns as someone has said the same thing that I would or the advice or information have already been given and feel it's unnessacery to reitarate this.

I would love to do a run but I find it hard to find the time to do it it the weekend that suits me to organize it
for has already been filled with another event. Also some people have already picked the runs that they will do for this year and won't go on anyotjer runs for multiple reasons

I don't understand what you mean by "nothing has happened"? What type of things do you expect to "happen"? There are many runs planned for this year (some of which have already taken place), there are other events like paintballing and crazy golf organised from time to time, folk meet up at Knockhill fairly regularly, there are very frequent Gallery Showcase updates showing new cars and mods to existing cars, there are always folk buying and selling items, frequent technical discussions on car problems, not to mention many Off Topic and Banter threads - seems to me that plenty is happening :yes nod: :thumbs up:.

Plus, and I hope you take this the right way, if you feel nothing is happening and simply log off again then you are not exactly helping matters. Wouldn't it be better to start a new thread or comment on someone else's to stimulate discussion? After all, NMS is only as good as its members make it :thumbs up:.

MINI William
11th May 2010, 12:32 PM
Hostitly ......................... woo hoo :clap:

Me thinks that too many people on here need a thicker skin (surprising quote from me ... eh!!)

Just my 2p , so here go's .......................... when I joined this site in 2004BC it sure did seem a helluva lot busier and the banter was (in my opinion) 'miles' better than it is now. Jaysus if you think I'm bad for a 'bit of dig' then Big Col, Minime or Angus would have wiped the floor with a few on here now, ................... talk about 'feckin touchy'.
I also agree with Fiona that there comes a time when you do unfortunatley say to yourself 'been there, done that' for runs that you would have attended in the past.
The Highland Tour is a no brainer for me as Paul wanted to organise that kind of run in his NMS days when he used to be a poof or known as Bad Dog Mini.

As Andy P has stated it's Alan's site so he is the gaffer, end of. It does however seem to have gone a tad stale though & I do agree with Baz in that by staying as it currently is the club will not move forward. I actually noticed this most at Silverstone last year. When you looked at the effort put in by many southern & continental clubs we were put to shame, especially in 'attire' & the 'look at us factor'

PS my Coop is modded BTW :moonie: ................... get it roon ye :thumbs up:

PPS This thread 'could' prove to be this years No1 :yes nod:

Can't help but agree with crombers here some of the cars at MINI United were outstanding and some of the distances they had come. I rememer talking to crombers and others saying that we felt very small for our tribute to the show.

Gismo
11th May 2010, 12:40 PM
Opens door walks casually in, eek, ok, so, there's a problem with NMS, hmm........

I've had a lot on my plate the last few months especially involving my family life, i was honest and upfront about it and advised folks about my move and everyone more or less said at that time, no worries, the site basically runs itself.
I don't have the same time zone as the UK now and i'm also working in West Africa and the internet is really poor.

The current admins and mod are in my mind doing an excellent job, they do most everything for me now and it's a thankless task.

I'm more than open to having more mods online and welcome anyone who feels they can contribute to NMS by checking posts and correcting mistakes etc.
What else is a mod expecetd to do? they are there to keep the peace if it all gets out of hand, not baby sit unhappy members, they have an opinion at the end of the day just like everyone else but can also edit posts as requiured.

As for the monetary side of things, i'm not here to speak about who sponsors the site and how much, though it would be interesting to know how much JC's pay the site as someone clearly already knows, so, they can post up the amount.

For the folks who don't know, i paid a sizeable sum for NMS and i'm still trying to recoup some of it through the sponsorship and, merchandise and donations, just goes to show how much i must have paid as i'm still a fair bit away from recouping my investment.
My intention isn't to get all of it, but, there is still software to pay for, for example vBulletin isn't free.

I tried my best at keeping my overheads down by attempting to create my own web site design, now, to the experts out there they will probably laugh at my efforts, but, it's what i could afford at the time.

Since i've owned NMS i feel i've brought it to a new level and thanks goes to Callum for the forethought in creating NMS in the first place.

I brought in a website, added the gallery, calendar, offered merchandise, organised runs, sought sponsors including a MINI dealer and other things.

I'm not saying i'm perfect and have always said that NMS is there for the members, so, get your thinking caps on and i will attempt to implement any new ideas i can.

To compare NMS against other sites isn't fair, i bought NMS wheras everyone else's were created from new and thus makes me an easy touch for daring to charge for sponsoring.

Having cards is a great idea, should it be me that organises them, probably, but, as already said, this is your site, if anyone wants to do soemthing like that then i am prepared to step in with the cash providing it's what everyone wants.

I am open to suggestions so please mention it, glad we have reached another thread where everything is brought out into the open.

In parting, if folks find they are not enjoying the site, then, this obviously isn't the place for you, no harm done, life moves on, there are many great forums out there.

Alan..

ianking
11th May 2010, 01:09 PM
I’ve now read every page of this thread thus far and I would like to add my comments, having been on NMS since Oct 2003.

I would have to say that in my personal experiences I have noticed that over say the last 12 months NMS has become less busy with perhaps the same usual crowd posting up, quite a lot of activity in the off topic section with jokes etc but these are the same awful jokes that go around the office here at work so I tend not to post up on them.

Perhaps its quieter because other mini forums have started and folk prefer them or perhaps its because previous regulars have changed car away from a mini and now no longer post. For that reason I think its important to actively seek out new people to come on here. I said to other folk I know with minis to come on here. Recently my good mate Stewart has joined ‘pot007’ and seems like he is going to be a new regular member having all ready been on a run and his name down for another.

I do think that we should get the mini fliers out to ALL the mini dealerships in Scotland (if the dealerships will let us lay out some fliers) so that new mini owners will know about the site and will sign up, not just to the sponsoring dealers.
I would be happy to deliver some to my local Edinburgh dealer.
I know that we promote the club from the window stickers, tax holders etc and ‘Craig Derek Trotter’ does a good job of pushing these sales.

I have organised the same run now on 3 occasions and as far as I am aware everyone there enjoyed it. However this year I had half as many cars as I have had in the past. Perhaps folk are bored with runs now.

Im not sure if I can comment on the modification side, I know that I voted ‘NO’ on Robs thread about the GP but that’s only what I think. Each person can do to their own car what they wish. If someone posts up a pic of a mod or such and I don’t like it I just don’t post anything so as to not offend. I’m not sure if I have posted up in the past anything that has annoyed anyone regarding modifications. I have done things in the past to my car but it has just tended to be OEM stuff such as JCW.

Perhaps if MODS want a break then it could be handed over or rotated around like a committee would run. Say there is an AGM and people can stand or volunteer their services. I’m involved in a local Gala day committee and in order to keep things fresh and new we only have people on top table for so long (chair, treasurer, secretary etc). Slightly different from NMS but you catch my drift.

So I think in summary I would say that, yeah the site does seem quieter and a wee bit ‘samey’ if that makes sense. Lets get out there and actively encourage more folk to join.

Bazthemod
11th May 2010, 01:14 PM
The current admins and mod are in my mind doing an excellent job, they do most everything for me now and it's a thankless task.

Nobody is saying they are doing a bad job, merely asking if fresh blood could generate new ideas with the existing team.

I'm more than open to having more mods online and welcome anyone who feels they can contribute to NMS by checking posts and correcting mistakes etc.
What else is a mod expecetd to do? they are there to keep the peace if it all gets out of hand, not baby sit unhappy members, they have an opinion at the end of the day just like everyone else but can also edit posts as requiured.

I'm a member of a few clubs - they all have committees, the mods on here are the closest thing to that. Was my understanding that they tried to find out what the membership want and implement it. Like Craig did previously in a thread about runs. *Not saying the mods dont do a good job* I would be upset if they feel this is personal as it isn't and i'm not out to start 'pissing people off'. Just think they need some extra help as under you own admission you don't have the time you once had. However if a mod role on here is just a thread editor/censor my apologies.
[/QUOTE]

As for the monetary side of things, i'm not here to speak about who sponsors the site and how much, though it would be interesting to know how much JC's pay the site as someone clearly already knows, so, they can post up the amount.

For the folks who don't know, i paid a sizeable sum for NMS and i'm still trying to recoup some of it through the sponsorship and, merchandise and donations, just goes to show how much i must have paid as i'm still a fair bit away from recouping my investment.
My intention isn't to get all of it, but, there is still software to pay for, for example vBulletin isn't free.

Maybe it is none of our business but until now i had no idea you paid a 'sizable sum' for NMS - maybe being more transparent would allow us all to understand better. This is what Northern does very well.

As for sponsorship prices yes rumors fly round about how much is paid. Anywhere from £600-800 so I have been informed. But they will be rumors until confirmed and more transparency offered.

I am open to suggestions so please mention it, glad we have reached another thread where everything is brought out into the open.

In parting, if folks find they are not enjoying the site, then, this obviously isn't the place for you, no harm done, life moves on, there are many great forums out there.

Alan..

If your open to suggestions for change then you don't really mean the last comment that people should move on. (Hope you don't anyway) Nobody wants to lose members because things could get pretty empty on here in time if that's the attitude taken.

Livi
11th May 2010, 01:18 PM
I do think that we should get the mini fliers out to ALL the mini dealerships in Scotland (if the dealerships will let us lay out some fliers) so that new mini owners will know about the site and will sign up, not just to the sponsoring dealers.

I think for the new members side of things, that would be a good idea, i mean, as a 'sponsor' its not a problem for us to lay these out, and certainly when my sponsorship runs out in December it will give other dealers a chance to take my place :thumbs up:

Delboy
11th May 2010, 02:10 PM
So Baz, what would be your proposal for change? There has been mention of "new blood", "new ideas", "marketing drive", "transparency" and such like but I'm not clear on how that translates into an improved NMS, other than perhaps adding some new members :confused:?

It's time to set out your manifesto ;).

Bazthemod
11th May 2010, 02:46 PM
Well I think we should get couple more moderators on board who can all work together to then survey the membership and see what they want from NMS. Clearly people like it they way it is and clearly people want change so we have to do the best for both parties. I think transparency would help us all get NMS on track to getting the boss man his money back. Just like Pauls thread on Northern they know whats needed to run the site and they rally round to get merchandise ordered and sponsorships paid to cover the costs. I think seeing that gives people more drive.

If we can keep the people happy who talk about it at meets, who text and call me with their feelings over past few days then score! If things carry on as they are I feel a lot of people will migrate off of here and that's a great shame as its people who have been here for many years.

I finish up uni in 3 weeks.... long summer to start designing some marketing material to get this place on the map/ resurrect Manky Thrash and support people with other runs.

Main goals

- Marketing
- Boost Membership
- New Sponsors if rate is lowered
- Have Fun Its a MINI Forum afterall!

If that isn't what the majority want then I fully apologise for trying and bow out.

C.Noble
11th May 2010, 02:51 PM
I would like to say first and foremost, the moderators on this site do a fantastic job and those that organised the events and runs I have attended should be applauded for their (unpaid!) efforts as on each occasion I have had a most enjoyable day out... even though I lost 2 days of work because of a bite picked up during last years the paintball day, otherwise known as the NMS camping trip 2009!

I would also like to say as a member and now a sponsor, I have found Alan (Gizmo) a pleasure to deal with and cooperative with every request, particularly with his support of the Scottish MINI Cooper Cup.

This forum is by far the most 'sociable' and welcoming site I have been part of, admittedly I am not on NM, but I feel no need to leave NMS at the moment.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, but similarly, everyone has a moral obligation to express that opinion with minimal or no offense. I honestly cant think of any posts I have read on NMS that could be regarded as nasty, rude or out of order... but there is a healthy balance of banter between members who can take a joke or two!

I have not seen Stoneys thread, although I did see the poll about modding a GP... its his car and he is perfectly entitled to do with it as he pleases... not too long ago I would get lambasted for chopping up a brand new R50 to make a race car... but no amount of comments would have changed my mind! Its just a hunk of metal and glass sitting on bits of rubber at the end of the day... being overly negative about modding a GP is as silly as being overly surprised when you get negative responses for doing it, then putting pictures on the internet to let people comment on! (sorry Stoney, but you would have had less negative responses if you drew glasses and a moustache on the Mona Lisa!)

As for the direction of the site and the club? well what else CAN be done? there seems to be a regular stream of runs and events to choose from, admittedly some people cant go because of work/family commitments, but you cant please everyone all of the time... and most important of all, because a tank of fuel in this country now costs the same as the GDP of a small african country, these runs are often just too expensive for everyone to be able to afford... if I read AndyP correctly and people are struggling to justify spending £20 on a night to the cinema, there is no way they will blow £60 on fuel for a drive on a Sunday!

As for the cost of sponsorship of this site, I am different from the normal sponsor as I am not in it to directly sell any products and there is a limit to how much of a service I can provide your average NMS member, but I do know that it is in no way an expensive option, and cant see how it could not be a justifiable expense.

I see no reason to replace (unless they want to step down!) any of the mods on this site, or any reason to vote with my feet on the Gaffers ownership of NMS, we already have a thread for suggestions on making the site better, as far as I am concerned, if I think something is wrong, or needs improved, I will use that function.

Yet another big post over!

Mon the fish
11th May 2010, 03:03 PM
Some good points on this thread, my 2p worth:

Traditionally, forum mods aren't like a committee, in that they don't meet to decide strategy etc, they just get involved if necessary. Don't think changing the mods would make things different, IMO they shouldn't need to moderate on a daily basis, just post like a regular member.

Perhaps an email newsletter to members, in the style of a club, where financial details, strategy etc is discussed (so this kind of thing doesn't get posted for non-members etc to see)? As Baz highlighted, not a lot of the members know the details of this, and if we were to pay (say)

The forum will naturally get a little stale over time; all the reliability issues have been discussed, people have had Mini's for a number of years, there isn't much left to discuss that hasn't already been. Other forums focus on the performance side of things, so people will gravitate there for discussion on that - this is more of a social club, but if runs aren't being attended (and I'm guilty of this), then I'm not sure what we can do to improve the situation.

But hey, it's still a good site!

Delboy
11th May 2010, 04:20 PM
Main goals

Now you're talking :yes nod: :thumbs up:.

As for the other goals of marketing, new members and sponsors - that really is for Alan to comment on as the site owner and I personally do not feel it is my place to get involved in those matters unless asked to by him.

MINI William
11th May 2010, 05:17 PM
Now you're talking :yes nod: :thumbs up:.

As for the other goals of marketing, new members and sponsors - that really is for Alan to comment on as the site owner and I personally do not feel it is my place to get involved in those matters unless asked to by him.

Everyone can help to try and get new members. There is a small handout for everyone to access. I've got some in the car so if I ever see a MINI or anyone asks about the site they are there to handout.

stoney
11th May 2010, 06:54 PM
ok I have been keeping an eye on this thread since baz started it

and I have this to say

I LOVE NMS I think it's a brill site and the mods do a cracking job of keeping the peace
I like the way it near enuf runs its self witch can not be a bad thing in my mind

as for asking what the sponsors pay that’s is very unfair as it is a business contract between the boss man and the sponsors if this was your business you would not want to be as transpart as your asking for I know for a fact that I would not tell one of my customers what the other one paid i.e. I supply different bearing company’s but my charge a different rate

as for it going a bit dull shall we say then that’s down to us not just the boss man and mods but all of us that post and it seem to me that it's the younger member's that have the problems for some reason

now I may have posted comments that people don’t like but there are lot of comments that I see and think that’s a bit harsh but I say nothing i.e. I got a post on NM about my GP saying it needs lowered
but do I give a rats no I like the way it looks and the bumper scrapes enuf of the time so it wont be happing but I did not post that as its not worth my time as I know what the person is like that posted the comment

I think some of you young and old need to take the old man Crombers advice and grow a thicker skin

it a forum for GOD SAKE every one has the right to freedom of speech

this is the main forum I use and it will stay that way why cos the members are nice people (we most of you )<----- that’s bits a joke just encase some one takes it to heart
I have made some good friends on here over the time that I have been here even made 1 enemy witch now we have a brill joke and carry on with each other and that’s what I like about this place

this is my first and last post in this thread as I see it getting in to a bit of a cat fight

if you want NMS to become better place then you need to put the work in not just expect the boss to do it all as he says time and time again this is a site for the members not just a mini owner

Stoney

1 last thing Mr noble love this made me :lol:

sorry Stoney, but you would have had less negative responses if you drew glasses and a moustache on the Mona Lisa!

Gismo
11th May 2010, 07:22 PM
I'll say it again, this site is for everyone and everyone should feel a part of it.

The mods (admins) are not in place to make the social side of things run, they are there to basically help the site and assist the forums to operate smoothly.
The entire site is laid out so that anyone can pick up the reigns of anything they want, ie, organise a run, a social night or even an event not attributed to the MINI...........go karts, paint balling etc

However, if it is felt that the mods should be doing this, then, what can i say, between Andy and Craig they must organise at least 7 runs per year between them, throw in Craig's tireless efforts to sell merchandise and attend as many knockhill events he can i'm kinda stumped as to what else they can volouteer for.

Everything that has been mentioned is more or less open to anyone to do, unless it's felt that only the mods can do it, which, i wouldn't expect.

However, i do propose some young blood as a mod initially and then as an admin once they see the scope of the software,
It was mentioned that we should vote or nominate some new faces onto the team, well, that doesn't always work as Fi mentioned, but, i'm willing to listen.

As for being transparent, what exactly do you need to know, yes, we have paying sponsors, i'm not gonna mention if the JC's figure is correct as it goes against business principles.
One thing i'd like to stress is that i'm not looking for or needing any donations, everything is in place to provide for what the site would like, well, within reason of course.
I've helped Craig organise events in the past which needed funds etc

Compared to other non profit sites, i am in NMS as a business venture, but, have never taken a penny out of the site, anything i have purchased has been related to NMS, i simply have not noted it down here to show folks.

I have reduced the fee's to our existing sponsors over the past 2 years and am in fact in the process of a further reduction, of which will be a nice surprise for them.

So, the tools are already in place for folks to try and gather in new members, word of mouth, flyers and our dealer sponsor all help in that area.
I've opened the forums to allow unregistered folks to look in and see what we are about, so, if they are keen they will register.

Still, i'm open to any and all suggestions etc

Gismo
11th May 2010, 07:27 PM
I should have mentioned that there is approx £1100 in the NMS bank account

Bazthemod
11th May 2010, 07:30 PM
Not once have i blamed Boss man or the Mods but that's all i seem to hear back. If you actually read my posts you will see that.

Not even biting the bait about us young ones again because it isn't just us young ones. The people PM, texting and calling me aint young and can carry on the discussion as i have had enough and clearly not making my point clear.

Been here just under seven years and had some amazing times on runs and made a few good friends and for that im really grateful.

I don't enjoy reading the forums as much as I did as things have changed but as things have been explained to me these things happen and if I don't enjoy being here anymore I should leave.

Hopefully time away will make me appreciate what you guys see.

Meantime back to my dissertation :(

Peace out.

Scottie
11th May 2010, 07:45 PM
I should have mentioned that there is approx £1100 in the NMS bank account

I don't think you should be to hard on yourself here Alan as far as I can see you should NOT be put in a position by any forum member to defend the running and costs of this site and how much coppers you have in it's bank account. As I see it unless we are a major contributor financially to the site we have no right to ask these questions.

ianking
11th May 2010, 08:48 PM
Still, i'm open to any and all suggestions etc

What about my suggestion of getting NMS fliers/posters/cards out to ALL Scottish MINI dealers that will take them. Im sure between everyone on here that can happen.
I would be happy to draw up a list of all the dealers and ask for a volunteer to be asigned a dealer to replenish stock etc when necessary.

MINI William
11th May 2010, 09:02 PM
What about my suggestion of getting NMS fliers/posters/cards out to ALL Scottish MINI dealers that will take them. Im sure between everyone on here that can happen.
I would be happy to draw up a list of all the dealers and ask for a volunteer to be asigned a dealer to replenish stock etc when necessary.

I'll take Phoinex I'm there almost every week anyway

AndyP & Lenore
11th May 2010, 09:07 PM
Ian that is a good idea, but with JC's as sponsors, getting other dealers to take them may be a difficult sell. You need to remember, any decision to leave these leaflets out for their customers will likely go to the sales manager at least, and possibly DP. They are going to be thinking, what's in this for us? When they look at the site and they see JC's as sponsors, I guess they may look on it one of two ways.... "That's a cracking site, how can I sponsor it" or "no chance, that site is sponsored by our competition."

It's also fair to say that with JC's as the sole dealer commercial sponsor, how would they feel about the site being promoted in competitor dealers? David....?

A.

Craig
11th May 2010, 10:21 PM
Well I think we should get couple more moderators on board who can all work together to then survey the membership and see what they want from NMS. Clearly people like it they way it is and clearly people want change so we have to do the best for both parties. I think transparency would help us all get NMS on track to getting the boss man his money back. Just like Pauls thread on Northern they know whats needed to run the site and they rally round to get merchandise ordered and sponsorships paid to cover the costs. I think seeing that gives people more drive.

If we can keep the people happy who talk about it at meets, who text and call me with their feelings over past few days then score! If things carry on as they are I feel a lot of people will migrate off of here and that's a great shame as its people who have been here for many years.

I finish up uni in 3 weeks.... long summer to start designing some marketing material to get this place on the map/ resurrect Manky Thrash and support people with other runs.

Main goals

- Marketing
- Boost Membership
- New Sponsors if rate is lowered

If that isn't what the majority want then I fully apologise for trying and bow out.

I agree with your main goals, think it is right to have a re-think every now and again.... :thumbs up: I think the most important part is the Fun. :yes nod:

Not once have i blamed Boss man or the Mods but that's all i seem to hear back. If you actually read my posts you will see that.

Not even biting the bait about us young ones again because it isn't just us young ones. The people PM, texting and calling me aint young and can carry on the discussion as i have had enough and clearly not making my point clear.

Been here just under seven years and had some amazing times on runs and made a few good friends and for that im really grateful.

I don't enjoy reading the forums as much as I did as things have changed but as things have been explained to me these things happen and if I don't enjoy being here anymore I should leave.

Hopefully time away will make me appreciate what you guys see.

Meantime back to my dissertation :(

Peace out.

Disappointed that you feel this way Baz, I don't think anyone here (including me) wants anyone to leave, especially someone who has been here so long and wants to help to improve and promote the site... :thumbs up:

As I see you have changed your sig already and appear to have left the building. I hope you don't leave it that way.. :yes nod: I have re-read your posts and it read to me like the blame for some of the faults (as you see it) were down to the mods, I can't change the way I feel about that, but if you say your not blaming me, then so be it... :D

The problem with disharmony is that not everyone takes the time to explain the problem so the others you mention have either gone, or are sitting in the background, not happy and not saying. I get this everyday at my work when equipment stops working and they never tell me, then you go into an office to fix something and get jumped on by about 5 people saying " this systems crap, when are you going to fix it".... Without knowing there is a big problem, you can't fix it.. :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
11th May 2010, 10:40 PM
Bloody hell, this is complicated - just when I thought the Election Crisis had been sorted!

I missed 'Part One' of this elongated session, so forgive me if I don't cover all the bases.

NMS is one of the best clubs I've been involved in, and one of the best things about it is that it DOESN'T have Committees, meetings and all that extraneous BS which before you know it has you wearing corduroy jackets with elbow patches and having to address 'the chairman' before you can fart. It's great that we can organise runs on here, and just get together and have FUN WITH MINIS. That's what it's about. OK maybe there are smaller turnouts for some runs these days - but on the upside it's a hell of a lot easier to keep 10 cars together than 20... I don't find the 'same' runs boring at all - Ian's recent one was just as much fun as usual and we all had ample opportunity to give the cars a bit of a blast, have a blether and some decent scran in Peebles - what more do you want? Laps of the 'Ring? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of Wildebeeste sweeping majestically across the Plain? Just a good honest day out with like-minded folks and the best motor on the roads. I'm missing a couple of runs this year due to holidays, but not because I'm fed up.

Another thing we have to take into account is that the MINI has been around for a while now, that initial crazy enthusiast/fashion icon period has faded, and a few of the 'original' NMS fanatics have moved on, or had to temper their enthusiasm for reasons outwith NMS. Kids, older parents, jobs etc etc... I think it's still pretty healthy though, and if folks (of ANY AGE) are getting fed up, well think of something you can ADD to NMS - flag it up and see what folks think - you might be on to a winner. I missed MINI 50 in 2009 because of family circumstances, but got to Oxford again this year with a fairly good turnout I remember...

I don't think there's much wrong with the website - it does what it says on the tin: Runs, Tech Info, Problem Solving, Banter, Foties. I note that nobody's taken up my idead of a 'Naughty Kylie' section though.... So don't worry Alan, I reckon it's fine. And as for these other 'Mods' - well a bit of The Who and The Small Faces never hurt anybody. No complaints from me on that front.

I think we have to remember that things can change - a few stalwarts in NMS have things to deal with, whether it's work, or home-life, and it's sometimes difficult to keep up with and commit to everything. I've never managed to organise a run, partly because of time constraints and the usual good intentions getting bulldozed by 'real life', but I take my hat off to folks like Craig, Andy P, Ian and Stoney - and all the others - who DO take the time and the effort. Since 2003 I've had some brilliant times with NMS, it's one of the reasons I've stuck with the MINI and I reckon we should be very proud of all the things we've put into and got out of NMS.

As far as this 'Modding' thing goes - well that's up to each individual. I've never thought of NMS as 'Anti-Modding' at all, but I've also recognised that it's not just a 'Petrolhead' scene. Many folks in NMS just like their MINI and enjoy the fact that they can get together and use the car in good company. I don't think there's anything wrong with running a standard car - it's GREAT standard car, one which is better when it comes out of the factory than a lot of other makes are when they've been modded. And let's face it, shelling out £££££ on a new MINI often doesn't lend itself to immediately seriously modding it anyway, as your Warranty is jaked and you'll not see any return on your investment if you're not keeping the car indefinately (apart from the thrill of driving it of course!). I waited till my '03 R53 was 3 yrs old before I did anything outside JCW stuff to it. Some folks (me included) like the peace of mind of not having to worry about warranty stuff etc and just enjoy the car with a few wee changes. The MINI in all it's guises is pretty decent 'out of the box'. Let's face it, maybe other folks mod other makes more because they're sh*t to start with!!!! Older MINIs are ripe to mod, as the warranty and depreciation's off by then and parts are starting to get tired - which is a brilliant excuse to replace them with upgraded aftermarket gear. I've put a few JCW bits on my 'new' car for the very reasons I've outlined - it's too new to start anything 'serious', and if I decide to sell in the next 2 years, it's still a recognisable and saleable item, not an unknown for the wary buyer. If I keep it longer, it'll get more seriously modded, like my last car. So each to their own, and best of luck to you. I LOVE modded cars, having had a string of them over the last 25 years, but sometimes you mod a lot, and sometimes you mod a bit less or not at all. As long as YOU'RE happy.

Well that's my piece. Don't create a crisis out of nothing, don't look for problems, and if you see any - do something positive about it which doesn't cause splits. Remember, this thing's for FUN AND ENJOYMENT, there's plenty to bring us down in out there in the big bad world - let's celebrate NMS as a wee Oasis of Positivity - with positively THE best car and THE best people driving it.

The Dogfather
11th May 2010, 11:15 PM
I think the root of Baz's frustration lies not with the NMS community but with the MINI community overall, the interest in the car isn't what it was 6 years ago, the cult status of the car has been lost. NM has seen a dip in membership over winter and the we've really struggled to get any involvement in the North East. Since the price of fuel went up getting people along to runs has been difficult as well (Highland Tour excluded).

The good old days for MINI forums have long past, we are now just a.n.other car forum unfortunately.

Personally I think the funding issue is a red herring, makes no odds how the site is funded and how much sponsors pay as long as the lights stay on. Alan's made sure the lights will stay on by investing his time and money in the site and giving a good revenue stream, which is better than having to raise funds like we do on NM.

I don't think there's anything wrong with NMS and the light touch approach that Alan has works well, however we all could take a more active role in starting discussions, organising events etc, and I include myself in that as well because whilst I run NM I'm still a NMS member.

BTW Baz overall I never saw your posts as being critical of Alan/Andy/Craig, you're just passionate about the site and by starting the conversation you've made me realise that I might have taken the old bird for granted.

Crombers, stop reminiscing about the good old days you old fart. :p

Feel free to tell this 'interloper' to stick his opinions up his ar$e and sod off back south of the border as you see fit.

Bazthemod
11th May 2010, 11:47 PM
BTW Baz overall I never saw your posts as being critical of Alan/Andy/Craig, you're just passionate about the site and by starting the conversation you've made me realise that I might have taken the old bird for granted.

Thanks Paul, twice now I have read back the whole thing and can't see where i personally offended anyone or pissed people off? Yet i'm made out to be the bad guy and *I'M* told to grow thicker skin.

Yeah I love this site and want the best for it.... If you actually read what I wanna do you have all said you agree with it?

Alan you have been open enough by saying this is a business.... was absolute news to me! Being involved in family businesses I understand your position fully about not posting details now. That's all the transparency that was needed not balances of accounts! Thankyou for clearing this up.

Maybe a formal committee is not required but group of people who are willing to discuss things informally and take on tasks should be set up and bounce ideas about? These people maybe made mods so other members can see them on the forum and approach them with ideas?

Alan you are asking for suggestions, plenty people have posted some in here which would be a start and its great you will support this.

Still feel i need a break from here, mainly so i can finish up at Uni and maybe come back with some ideas. Just wanted to try clear the air before I left.

At no point did I blame anyone and I don't wanna fall out with anyone as that doesn't help what i'm trying to do so why would I?

Hope that clears some issues especially to you Craig. I'd strangely miss being on runs and seeing your scary legs in shorts haha :smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
11th May 2010, 11:57 PM
I wonder though just how much can we talk about minis without going over old ground so yeah I think a forum will reach a stage where it may seem to stagnate a little but how can you inject newlife in to it I'm not sure

runs are a very nice byproduct of the forum but not the reason we all went looking for a online mini forum. If people fancy a run and want to spend the money and go on a run then that's great, if folks don't fancy the idea well that's great also. I liked to go on as many runs as possible in the past but nowadays it's just to long a day for us with commitments at home and got other family life going on etc etc.

For me the benefits of this site is finding out what things you can do to your Mini i.e. new aerials led bulbs joey mods where is best to a get parts i.e. newministuff etc etc without finding this site I would never have known what was possible and where to go and get it that's my reason for seeking out this forum anything else is a bonus.

Craig
12th May 2010, 07:31 AM
Baz - nuff said - Group Hug..... ;) Best of luck with the Uni stuff and come back after a rest and lets get this place "jumping" !!

As a mod, I can see if someone has deleted any posts..... To the person that deleted his post last night, I'm slightly perplexed by your post as I don't think I have made these negative comments and really hope you join in more, as we have all said, not everyone can agree on everything and everyone is entitiled to their opinion.

Anyway, off to my paid job now.... :lol:

RyanK
12th May 2010, 09:48 AM
I knew moderators had secret powers :D

Went away in a little rant hence deleting it. Mainly because it didn't make sense.

To the others I was just stating that I hope this big debate never started because a few of us use other forums more often nowadays.

Forbes
12th May 2010, 10:44 AM
Mr Basils posts never looked like they were aimed at anyone to me

Further to that can I recommend Baz to step up to Mod/Admin? I think some of Baz's ideas are great, and kind of hit the nail on the head for me. I think there needs to be another view on the Mod team and Baz already has experience on the NM site. Also his Graphics skills may be of use;)

ianking
12th May 2010, 10:46 AM

Further to that can I recommend Baz to step up to Mod/Admin? I think some of Baz's ideas are great, and kind of hit the nail on the head for me. I think there needs to be another view on the Mod team and Baz already has experience on the NM site. Also his Graphics skills may be of use;)

Hear Hear

Fartin Martin
12th May 2010, 10:54 AM
mr basils posts never looked like they were aimed at anyone to me

further to that can i recommend baz to step up to mod/admin? I think some of baz's ideas are great, and kind of hit the nail on the head for me. I think there needs to be another view on the mod team and baz already has experience on the nm site. Also his graphics skills may be of use;)
+1 :d

GCA3N
12th May 2010, 11:20 AM

Feck that Baz for PM. :lol:

I think Baz would make a great candidate as he has been a member for 7 years, has got good skills/abilities he could bring to the post and has a lot of passion too. Not unlike our current mods.:thumbs up:

Livi
12th May 2010, 11:47 AM
Ill +1 for Baz aswell... if some good ideas are to be made and a lending hand for design, Baz will be your man :thumbs up:

Delboy
12th May 2010, 11:59 AM
Will there be an election? :Whistle: :smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
12th May 2010, 12:59 PM
With regards to leaving flyers etc at main dealerships, as Craig pointed out, this could lead to other indirect problems, we have a paying main dealer sponser which works very well for the NMS community via discounts as well, note, JC's didn't have to offer that as well as paying a sponser premium.
So, i honestly don't know if other main dealers would be happy to have our flyers lying around with potentially nothing in it for them and then our actual sponser may not like it to happen and lose their exclusivity etc whilst paying for it.
So, Ian, I just don't know how that ould be received by both sides, but, we can certainly try it out.........

All ideas are welcome to increase traffic, though looking at all the stats there isn't really much of a downturn, yes it's slightly declined, but, you'd be surprised that the posts are still coming in, new threads are up there as normal and new registrations are not far off from previous times.

Baz, i didn't direct any of my replies directly to you being young and did not mean to suggest that you were being picked on or i was singling you out for anything personal.
But it's hard when you are supplying most of the points, to which i have absolutely no issues with at all.
It's been suggested that you become a mod, but, the ball is in your court there as you have already intimated that you want to spend time away, so, decision time, let me know your thoughts, doesn't have to be on here, PM or e-mail is fine.
For me to suggest that NMS may no longer be suitable to you still stands as it does to any other member who wants to call it a day, i don't mean any nastiness in it, just if that you or they decide you or they wanna go i can't stand in your or their way, do i want you to go, of course not, you are a long standing member of a unique forum that does not direct it's main theme to only modding, or whatever.

I prefer to think we are a family orientated forum whereby the members create that unique atmosphere.
I've simply supplied the servers and resources for it to happen, i've thought of some ideas and implemented them, but, i am by no means a graphic designer or web artiste.

By showing how much are in NMS coffers i can assure everyone that this money is also there to help pay for anything that may be considered a nice item to have, be it a new banner, more stickers, badges, merchandise, software etc

Big Gordy
12th May 2010, 01:02 PM
Sorry Baz, but purely out of principle, I could never vote for anyone who's owned/riden a scooter....:frown::moonie:

ianking
12th May 2010, 01:03 PM
So is that a green light for me to at least try and put some fliers etc at the dealers if I can first draw up a list and assign a person per dealer so that we can keep tabs on it and moniter how many fliers are being lifted etc.

Big Gordy
12th May 2010, 01:09 PM
I think, out of common courtesy, we need to run this flyers idea past JC's first to make sure our only dealer sponsor is OK with it:thumbs up:

I think the problem we're having is that some members are getting a 'forum' and a 'club' mixed up. We're not a club and therefor have no need for a committee.
Economics have a great bearing on this too.....I just don't have the disposable capital to spend on a full tank, or 2 in some cases, to attend and take part in most of the runs unless they are close to me.

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2010, 01:45 PM
I'd agree with Alan and Gordy on the flyer subject.... I really think we should ask for JC's "input" before leaving flyers at other dealers. They would need reassurance that whilst NMS flyers would rest in dealer forecourts (assuming they even want to take them), those non-sponsoring dealers would not be allowed to use NMS to promote their products and services unless they also became a sponsor.

A.

Mon the fish
12th May 2010, 01:56 PM
Should NMS become a club as well then?

And while I'm all for Baz's ideas, and implementing them, I don't think him being a mod would change anything. Mods police the site, nothing more. If he wants to do stuff positive (which we all want), he doesn't need to be a mod to do it. None of us do.

ianking
12th May 2010, 02:02 PM
I will leave it for Alan to contact JC or if Livingstone reads this then maybe he will ask his bosses what they think.

To me though it seems like an ideal way of catching potential new folks to come onto NMS froom all over Scotland, not just Dundee. We used to get quite a number of people signing on here after picking up a flier when they were left out at Menzies.

Livi
12th May 2010, 02:09 PM
I am going to have to agree with the people above regarding the flyers.

As much as i would like to see NMS thrive with its members and new ones coming through, it then is a risk if an employee of another dealer signing up and doing private deals after i have quoted with a better price, i know i cant beat everyones prices, or stop people using other dealers, but the past few years i have been trying to build a good reputation for myself and JC, which is why we pay for sponsorship and to give the NMS members a good service.

If Andy, Alan and Craig floats back to when i first started this was the case with the old sponsor.

Thats my thought.

The Dogfather
12th May 2010, 02:28 PM
We tried leaving business cards in a couple of our sponsoring dealers, it never really drove in new members.

Events and attendance at shows always adds members.....

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2010, 02:36 PM

And while I'm all for Baz's ideas, and implementing them, I don't think him being a mod would change anything. Mods police the site, nothing more. If he wants to do stuff positive (which we all want), he doesn't need to be a mod to do it. None of us do.

Spot on.

Whilst mod's police the site, as mods we tend to be in the more active side of the site membership so by default we tend to organise more runs/events. None of us do because we feel we HAVE to, we do it because we love the site and (most) of the members.:laugh:

Craig
12th May 2010, 02:56 PM
Spot on.

Whilst mod's police the site, as mods we tend to be in the more active side of the site membership so by default we tend to organise more runs/events. None of us do because we feel we HAVE to, we do it because we love the site and (most) of the members.:laugh:

Agreed !!

Although we are admins (or mods) we have no power other than the policing of the site. As Alan has stated previously this is not a "club" but a forum ;). All changes requested have to go thro Alan himself, although he may ask our opinion, the buck stops with him.

So what this really means is if you want something to change or you want new design or merchandise, discuss it with Alan ;) Job Done

Gismo
12th May 2010, 09:00 PM
So is that a green light for me to at least try and put some fliers etc at the dealers if I can first draw up a list and assign a person per dealer so that we can keep tabs on it and moniter how many fliers are being lifted etc.Ian, i have given this serious thought and really appreciate that it's a very good idea to drum up support, however, i cannot overlook the support that JC's give us and actually pay for the outright exclusivity to promote their company and services.
I have not approached them but feel that i shouldn't for the reasons i just gave, so, in this instance i feel i have to say no to dropping flyers at main dealers and hope that you understand my position.

And while I'm all for Baz's ideas, and implementing them, I don't think him being a mod would change anything. Mods police the site, nothing more. If he wants to do stuff positive (which we all want), he doesn't need to be a mod to do it. None of us do.I have no intention of turning NMS into a club and agree that being a mod does not make any difference to who should organise any type of event that is attended by forum members.
The mods and admin are only here to make and assist in the threads and to keep me up to date of any problems or trouble.

Bazthemod
12th May 2010, 09:06 PM
Right since I'm getting less peace away from the site now than I would if I was still here I'm going to post so my phone shuts up haha ;)

Baz, i didn't direct any of my replies directly to you being young and did not mean to suggest that you were being picked on or i was singling you out for anything personal.
But it's hard when you are supplying most of the points, to which i have absolutely no issues with at all.
It's been suggested that you become a mod, but, the ball is in your court there as you have already intimated that you want to spend time away, so, decision time, let me know your thoughts, doesn't have to be on here, PM or e-mail is fine.

Understood boss, oh and I know you had nothing to do with young comments

As it has been made aware to me now, you don't have to be a mod to have a say of what goes on. Think I picked this up wrong as I have been a committee member of various clubs and still am and maybe don't understand the 'forum' structure Vs club. To me a forum is software and a club uses it. If however it's felt I would be of value to the mod team then i'm more than happy to do it as I'm on here way more than I should be sometimes! ;) I'm a Mod on Northern so pretty familiar with the software although not had real need to use the powers as their team are pretty good.

Sorry Baz, but purely out of principle, I could never vote for anyone who's owned/riden a scooter....:frown::moonie:

Oi grease monkey watch your back! We are the mods we are.... (Miss my Vespa lol)

As much as i would like to see NMS thrive with its members and new ones coming through, it then is a risk if an employee of another dealer signing up and doing private deals after i have quoted with a better price, i know i cant beat everyones prices, or stop people using other dealers, but the past few years i have been trying to build a good reputation for myself and JC, which is why we pay for sponsorship and to give the NMS members a good service.

If Andy, Alan and Craig floats back to when i first started this was the case with the old sponsor.

Thats my thought.

Fair point Livi... well lets make an effort with Dundee then and get some presence as it's a kickass showroom.

Right back to dissertation 4000 words to go!

GCA3N
12th May 2010, 09:10 PM
Right since I'm getting less peace away from the site now than I would if I was still here I'm going to post so my phone shuts up haha ;)

Understood boss, oh and I know you had nothing to do with young comments

As it has been made aware to me now, you don't have to be a mod to have a say of what goes on. Think I picked this up wrong as I have been a committee member of various clubs and still am and maybe don't understand the 'forum' structure Vs club. To me a forum is software and a club uses it. If however it's felt I would be of value to the mod team then i'm more than happy to do it as I'm on here way more than I should be sometimes! ;) I'm a Mod on Northern so pretty familiar with the software although not had real need to use the powers as their team are pretty good.

Oi grease monkey watch your back! We are the mods we are.... (Miss my Vespa lol)

As much as i would like to see NMS thrive with its members and new ones com

Fair point Livi... well lets make an effort with Dundee then and get some presence as it's a kickass showroom.

Right back to dissertation 4000 words to go!

Yeh good to have u back , now get back to that dissertation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crombers
13th May 2010, 12:17 PM
I just don't have the disposable capital to spend on a full tank, or 2 in some cases, to attend and take part in most of the runs unless they are close to me.

Thank 'feck' for that :hand:

Gismo
13th May 2010, 09:37 PM
Ian, just to confirm i have had contact from JC's regarding the fliers and they are more than happy to see them being distributed amongst other dealer networks.

So, please proceed :thumbs up:

Livi
13th May 2010, 11:12 PM
Ian, just to confirm i have had contact from JC's regarding the fliers and they are more than happy to see them being distributed amongst other dealer networks.

So, please proceed :thumbs up:

just a question Alan, but who did you speak to? :rolleyes:

Gismo
5th June 2010, 08:41 PM
As promised i'll be looking into the facebook implemementation on NMS, however, do we want to use the current NMS facebook account, if so i'll need the username and password.

The Dogfather
5th June 2010, 08:48 PM
Alan, there isn't a facebook account for NMS. Its just a page/group thing, you need to setup an NMS application as per the instructions on the vbulletin blogs. Its not too hard just a bit of a faff.

Gismo
5th June 2010, 11:24 PM
Alan, there isn't a facebook account for NMS. Its just a page/group thing, you need to setup an NMS application as per the instructions on the vbulletin blogs. Its not too hard just a bit of a faff.Ok, will look into this in the next few days

Sheilz
8th June 2010, 11:38 PM
Only thing that needs sorted is the smileys :computer:

NO SALTIRE! but :ragin::flag: :confused: :moonie::moonie::moonie:

Also I would like a 'Holy sheep' like there is on NM

Otherwise I am perfectly happy with this here place am not particularly knowledgeable or active but reasonably happy to go with the flow. I think this site has evolved of its own accord and will continue to do so. Its been quiet before and no doubt will be quiet again. I suspect that depending on forum activity certain social groups will appear more active than others. Some discussions don't particularly interest me prob coz I know nowt about them and think that would be much and such the same for everyone. Need to keep the balance - if it leans too much towards petrolhead appeal some folk will appear to disappear (groan!) and when its Scottie discussing her nails and how many curlers she puts in at night then I well imagine the 'petrolhead types' will cringe with embarrassment in case their mates on other car sites find out that's the kind of stuff on NMS. Diversity on this site is what makes it work. And I'd avoid committees too, just creates paperwork and BS of which there is more than enough in real life. Ifi t aint broke, don't fix it.

Gismo
9th June 2010, 03:47 AM
Only thing that needs sorted is the smileys :computer:

NO SALTIRE! but :ragin::flag: :confused: :moonie::moonie::moonie:

Also I would like a 'Holy sheep' like there is on NM

Diversity on this site is what makes it work. And I'd avoid committees too, just creates paperwork and BS of which there is more than enough in real life. Ifi t aint broke, don't fix it.You mean these smilie's:-
:saltireflag: :sheep:

zimbo
9th June 2010, 09:48 AM
:saltireflag:

Any reason in particular why this little Scottish fella is GREEN!!? :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
9th June 2010, 10:22 AM
Any reason in particular why this little Scottish fella is GREEN!!? :rolleyes:

Must have been watching the World Cup build up and is already sick of all the 1966 references ;)

Gismo
9th June 2010, 03:09 PM
Any reason in particular why this little Scottish fella is GREEN!!? :rolleyes:Will this one do then :scotlandflag:

Delboy
9th June 2010, 03:30 PM
What about the Algerian and Slovenian flags - any chance of getting them too? Along with the USA's flag which we have, the other two would give us a complete set of the teams playing against England in Group C of the World Cup :thumbs up: :smilewinkgrin:.

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 03:32 PM
What about the Algerian and Slovenian flags - any chance of getting them too? Along with the USA's flag which we already have, the other two would give us a complete set of the teams playing against England in Group C of the World Cup :thumbs up: :smilewinkgrin:.

:laugh:

Gismo
9th June 2010, 03:39 PM
What about the Algerian and Slovenian flags - any chance of getting them too? Along with the USA's flag which we have, the other two would give us a complete set of the teams playing against England in Group C of the World Cup :thumbs up: :smilewinkgrin:.Ok, happy to do this but i'd like to think that we are adult enough not to poke fun at our southern neighbours :Whistle:
:algeriaflag: :sloveniaflag:

Delboy
9th June 2010, 03:43 PM
Ok, happy to do this but i'd like to think that we are adult enough not to poke fun at our southern neighbours :Whistle:

I'm sure you'd like to think that we are adult enough......

Great flags, should be one in every post :thumbs up: :algeriaflag:

GCA3N
9th June 2010, 04:34 PM
What about an Argentina flag for when they get to the final.

zimbo
9th June 2010, 05:09 PM
Ok, happy to do this but i'd like to think that we are adult enough not to poke fun at our southern neighbours :Whistle:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: ehhh no!!

Sheilz
9th June 2010, 10:48 PM
:sheep:

O Alan how could you even think such a thing :sheep::sheep: :sheep:

k3ith
11th June 2010, 12:38 PM
I am fairly new here but I frequent the pages on a daily basis but not always signed in.
Its a very relaxed atmosphere on here compared to the main stream mini sites, some of you have asked for a club and to a certain extent thats what you have already.
To bring more folks in you have to look at what new or existing mini owners want and most are looking for - a web based forum where they can get information or ask questions about there car, modding be one of the main things that people turn to the internet for. NMS has a good angle as it wants to cater for Scottish people mainly. While the structure is there for the technical aspects are catered for on here it looks like the busiest section on nms is the off topic mini stuff so a lot of sections lie dormant with no posting so it appears a quiet site.
Things to maybe consider are a yearly meet rather than all the various runs that go on as it seems there a lot of ideas for runs but hardly any transpire(from the looks of things) A yearly meet gives people something to aim for and you could incorporate runs into this as well, it would bring sponsors in as well.
Steps back and dons the flame proof suit.

GCA3N
11th June 2010, 02:27 PM
I am fairly new here but I frequent the pages on a daily basis but not always signed in.
Its a very relaxed atmosphere on here compared to the main stream mini sites, some of you have asked for a club and to a certain extent thats what you have already.
To bring more folks in you have to look at what new or existing mini owners want and most are looking for - a web based forum where they can get information or ask questions about there car, modding be one of the main things that people turn to the internet for. NMS has a good angle as it wants to cater for Scottish people mainly. While the structure is there for the technical aspects are catered for on here it looks like the busiest section on nms is the off topic mini stuff so a lot of sections lie dormant with no posting so it appears a quiet site.
Things to maybe consider are a yearly meet rather than all the various runs that go on as it seems there a lot of ideas for runs but hardly any transpire(from the looks of things) A yearly meet gives people something to aim for and you could incorporate runs into this as well, it would bring sponsors in as well.
Steps back and dons the flame proof suit.

Some good points there but there is one I dissagree on and that's the mini runs. I think I can speak for most here and say that the various runs from all over Scotland are great and are designed for anyone to attend, however due to work/time/money and location restictions many poeple can't attend them all. I work offshore so I attend ones that I am home for. If there was one big run you'd get alot of people who can't make one date. Besides I love the different variety and locations of the various routes. Otherwise good comments :thumbs up:

stoney
11th June 2010, 05:12 PM
i have to say i am with Greg on this one there are lots of runs that happen there is norm 1 a month in the summer and we have even starterd doing winter runs and meets for food and stuff there is paint ball and mike's mini show on the 3rd of oct so pleanty going on as for meets