PDA

View Full Version : Should You Mod a GP ???

stoney
10th May 2010, 07:26 AM
ok seen as a lot of people are high jackin my photo shoot thread the i have started this :p:p

this is a place where you can say if you would mod a GP or not !!!!! :yes nod:

i have put poll on this so you can vote

also you can list your GP mods here if you like :thumbs up:

stoney
10th May 2010, 07:31 AM
ok i belive it is ok to mod a GP but not to change it i think braces air filter with de-flap and a manifold are ok mods to do i will not do any thing elce to my GP !!!!!!
i like the way it looks handles and drives so no point in changing any thing elce !!!!!!!

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 07:40 AM
I don't have a GP but I'm presuming this is open to all GP lovers. I said No and mostly because I don't think the looks should be touched at all and secondly even although performance mods cannot be seen I think that this car is just amazing and quite special in a lot of ways and honestly does it actually need anything else. IMO if we were talking about a GP50 most, if not all would say NO DON'T TOUCH IT, so I don't see how this differs, Anyway that's 2p worth. Will be interesting to see how the poll turns out.

stoney
10th May 2010, 07:44 AM
I don't have a GP but I'm presuming this is open to all GP lovers. I said No and mostly because I don't think the looks should be touched at all and secondly even although performance mods cannot be seen I think that this car is just amazing and quite special in a lot of ways and honestly does it actually need anything else. IMO if we were talking about a GP50 most, if not all would say NO DON'T TOUCH IT, so I don't see how this differs, Anyway that's 2p worth. Will be interesting to see how the poll turns out.

i am with you on that one just a bit of nosie is good :lol: and every thing i am doing is just putting on the bits MINI should have put on I.E the JCW race manifold and a oood air fliter and well i have the braces sitting so why not put them on its ony 8 bolts for the top and bottom braces

and as for the WC50 i would change the seats to recaro's !!!!!

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 07:49 AM
i am with you on that one just a bit of nosie is good :lol: and every thing i am doing is just putting on the bits MINI should have put on I.E the JCW race manifold and a oood air fliter and well i have the braces sitting so why not put them on its ony 8 bolts for the top and bottom braces

and as for the WC50 i would change the seats to recaro's !!!!!

Actually I'll give you that on the GP50 good point. And if i' honest there's nowt better that a raspy exhaust :blush: even if i am getting too old for it.

Ferengo
10th May 2010, 08:09 AM
I'm gonna take the stance of yes but only if it's reversible. I collect guitars and have some rare and limited editions. When I mod these I keep the original parts just incase I want to put it back ti it's stock form. I think the same about rare cars.

There's probably a lot you could do but if it were me and I were modding it then I would keep whatever I took off it and make sure I could put it back to stock. Think, in a few years if the value went up, you wanted to sell and you couldn't put it back to factory standard?

Although you could mod it to have 4 seats, lol :smilewinkgrin:

Mon the fish
10th May 2010, 08:19 AM
Yes. It's your car, do what you like with it! A GP isn't that different from an R53 JCW anyway - the only differences being the intercooler (which a lot of JCW owners have improved anyway for GRS/GTT), and the weight saving bits (rear seats and suspension arms). I've got the JCW brakes and suspension on my car, so it's not as if the majority of the JCW parts are unique to the GP.

IMO the trim needs to be colour-coded anyway on a GP - it looks daft how it doesn't continue onto the bumpers properly, where black plastic buts against paint.

I would leave the wheels though, but they should have JCW centre caps - never understood why they didn't! Oh, and remove all the badges from the back - the weight saved from ditching the seats must be negated with the weight of all those badges!

stoney
10th May 2010, 08:48 AM
Yes. It's your car, do what you like with it! A GP isn't that different from an R53 JCW anyway - the only differences being the intercooler (which a lot of JCW owners have improved anyway for GRS/GTT), and the weight saving bits (rear seats and suspension arms). I've got the JCW brakes and suspension on my car, so it's not as if the majority of the JCW parts are unique to the GP.

IMO the trim needs to be colour-coded anyway on a GP - it looks daft how it doesn't continue onto the bumpers properly, where black plastic buts against paint.

I would leave the wheels though, but they should have JCW centre caps - never understood why they didn't! Oh, and remove all the badges from the back - the weight saved from ditching the seats must be negated with the weight of all those badges!

there is a bit more than that there is the spoiler,No back window wiper, brake light is moved , rear brace, body kit and im shure there is more !!!!

Burple
10th May 2010, 09:49 AM
yeah.. I think a decent set of wheels would top of an excellent tcar.. got to be the right wheels tho. :thumbs up:

stoney
10th May 2010, 10:58 AM
i like the GP wheels but only on the GP

Fairy
10th May 2010, 11:18 AM
I've voted No...Having finally managed to acheive the funds to own and then run a GP myself, there is no way I'm gonna change a thing on the car...I was tempeted when Ryan advertised those Porsche brakes I'll admit that but when it came down to it, the car is so stunning and unique why would I wanna change it - far too busy enjoying driving it day in and day out to think about modding it - just my opinon at the end of the day - bring on the votes!

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 11:23 AM
I say mod tastefully... these things really aren't that rare! When mini started doing limited editions back in the 90s like the sidewalk and the Rio there was also about 2000 of each and most of them look hideous now.

If it really bothers you keep the original parts but I can think of nothing worse than turning up to a meet and 4 cars are there with the only difference being the number! I don't really look at GPs at meets coz once you have seen one you've seen them all.

WC50 is a whole other story though - That really is limited edition and anything i did to that would be reversible.

illegalhunter
10th May 2010, 11:27 AM
They sound and look great as they are , my 10p worth.

Stewart
10th May 2010, 11:50 AM
i like the GP wheels but only on the GP

I agree.

Standard looks wise as your part of a limited number a GP members group if you will and therefore I feel the more you change the car the more you distance your car from that select group. The fact is if I seen a GP that looked different from the norm I’d be thinking is that a copy.

Remember seeing a pic of all the GP lined up at that Mini 50 and they all looked stunning I think if everyone had changed this and that and had different wheels it just would not have looked so good.

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 11:54 AM
I agree.

Standard looks wise as your part of a limited number a GP members group if you will and therefore I feel the more you change the car the more you distance your car from that select group. The fact is if I seen a GP that looked different from the norm I’d be thinking is that a copy.

Remember seeing a pic of all the GP lined up at that Mini 50 and they all looked stunning I think if everyone had changed this and that and had different wheels it just would not have looked so good.

Some Good points there.

Gismo
10th May 2010, 01:59 PM
Nope, car handles perfectly as is

Mon the fish
10th May 2010, 02:16 PM
there is a bit more than that there is the spoiler,No back window wiper, brake light is moved , rear brace, body kit and im shure there is more !!!!

My point was that in performance terms, there's not a lot on it, 80kgs less weight and the intercooler. A lack of rear wiper would just be frustrating tbh. And I'm sure I read the rear brace wasn't a suspension brace, more to stop anything in the boot sliding forward

bry_mini
10th May 2010, 02:53 PM
i voted YES!!

give it some personality!!

Crombers
10th May 2010, 02:58 PM
I've voted No...Having finally managed to acheive the funds to own and then run a GP myself, there is no way I'm gonna change a thing on the car...I was tempeted when Ryan advertised those Porsche brakes I'll admit that but when it came down to it, the car is so stunning and unique why would I wanna change it - far too busy enjoying driving it day in and day out to think about modding it - just my opinon at the end of the day - bring on the votes!

Sound advice :yes nod:

ianking
10th May 2010, 03:39 PM
I voted 'NO' but if I had to do anything I would add a carbon rear tailgate handle and a JCW steering wheel as I think they really should have come with these from the factory, however I would still keep the originals in a box in the loft.

stoney
10th May 2010, 04:00 PM
I say mod tastefully... these things really aren't that rare! When mini started doing limited editions back in the 90s like the sidewalk and the Rio there was also about 2000 of each and most of them look hideous now.

If it really bothers you keep the original parts but I can think of nothing worse than turning up to a meet and 4 cars are there with the only difference being the number! I don't really look at GPs at meets coz once you have seen one you've seen them all.

WC50 is a whole other story though - That really is limited edition and anything i did to that would be reversible.

well i would say they are you dont see them every day of the week unless you have one or live next to one there where only 2000 made and i know of 3 that are no more so that makes 1997 of them left

roysterdsb
10th May 2010, 04:01 PM
I voted yes, it's a good starting point for around £4k you can have very good handling and a healthy 250bhp, this is what i'd do -

Janspeed Manifold
Newman Cam
550cc Injectors & Mynes Tune
ITG Filter

KWv3/Clubsport Coilovers (GP specific version)
16 or 17" lightweight wheels
R888s
& 4 wheel alignment
Carbotech XP8 front brake pads

All easily reversible if you need to. The above will transform the car from a performance and handling perspective (& yes i've driven a standard GP on 18" runflats).

Looks wise, externally i'd take it fairly easy - colour code the arches/smooth off the reflectors & ditch all the stickers as they ruin the aesthetics of the car in my opinion. Internally i'd ditch the heavy seats for a set of the Recaro Sportser CS seats for better support. Again can all be put back to standard.... with a couple of additional purchases from BMW.

All of the above IMO would not detract from what is still a GP & an all round more accomplished CSL than a standard GP. Saying that its good that everyone has their own views, it means there are more standard ones around to be modded :lol:

stoney
10th May 2010, 04:07 PM
Nope, car handles perfectly as is

that is true but if you can improve it with out changing main parts then why not thats what i say

as i have said the only things i am doing is bulb upgrade for winter nights dim beam is not the best my braces as had them from Gusty and the manifold as had that and it makes a nice sound the cat is going in as well this time so it saves the boxes and hook up the arch lights apart from that its staying the way it should i wrecked my last s by moding it to much and giving it a hard life i will be taking good care of my GP as want to keep it

Delboy
10th May 2010, 04:09 PM
It's a yes from me. I'm not saying that you must modify a GP but if you want to then why not - it's your car after all :thumbs up:.

One of the big selling points of Mini is that you can personalise your car and I don't see why this wouldn't apply to a GP or any other special editions.

Livi
10th May 2010, 04:11 PM
yeah.. I think a decent set of wheels would top of an excellent tcar.. got to be the right wheels tho. :thumbs up:

were we not speaking about this last night?? :p

Livi
10th May 2010, 04:14 PM
ohh and i voted yes, due to people have there own opinions and they are the ones spending thousands buying the car in the first place, so i agree to let them do what they want, but it would be nice to see the proper/correct type of stuff being done.

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 04:22 PM
well i would say they are you dont see them every day of the week unless you have one or live next to one there where only 2000 made and i know of 3 that are no more so that makes 1997 of them left

You don't see many JCW on the road but that doesn't make them rare. I think when you get to the numbers of WC50 then fair point and that reflects in their price and i expect them to hold value much better.

Plenty of GPs on here .... that all look the same lol

Ryan got shot down in flames few weeks ago for wanting to mod his.... I hope he still does because done tastefully it would look cracking.

I looked at one before buying the JCW but decided against it because i would wanna spend more money making it look different. Plus the fact i think first gen looks really dated now inside.

This place is getting very anti-modding ... even my vipers got enough 'concerns' before a got them done. I wonder how many other people are spending more time on Northern/totalmini and MiniTorque because of this.

stoney
10th May 2010, 04:23 PM
ohh and i voted yes, due to people have there own opinions and they are the ones spending thousands buying the car in the first place, so i agree to let them do what they want, but it would be nice to see the proper/correct type of stuff being done.

like ???? what would you do ?

Livi
10th May 2010, 04:44 PM
like ???? what would you do ?

Well.... if i was to upgrade performance, i would check out which parts would be better for it, rather than going down the cheap route, but there will be people who might do that.

Things like wheels and such, would be up to the person who owns it.

You can go too far modding a car, any car in fact, but its down to peoples tastes and opinions that stop these going out of control, which it is always good to get any opinion.

Colin
10th May 2010, 05:10 PM
I say YES, as long as you keep all the original parts so if you want to sell it you can put it back the way it was.

Craig
10th May 2010, 05:40 PM
This place is getting very anti-modding ... even my vipers got enough 'concerns' before a got them done. I wonder how many other people are spending more time on Northern/totalmini and MiniTorque because of this.

HUGE sweeping generalisation there Baz..... sorry, can't agree.... :frown:

Most people will voice an opinion if asked and some are traditionalist (like old boy Crombers) but you can't say the place is anti-modding.... Hell some of the longest members and those who are on here the most have modded every car they have had :confused:

Forbes
10th May 2010, 05:53 PM
Craig it might be the "anti-modders" are more vocal but I do have to agree with Baz, certainly feel it has changed from when I originally joined the site a few years ago. I know it is each to their own but Ryan's GP thread was a case in point

Scottie
10th May 2010, 06:13 PM
You have to ask yourself what was it that made you want the GP ?

you could have bought a S and then done mods to that car. Things like your strut braces etc that are not seen are good. Performance mods well that's up to you was it worthwhile the performance mods that you had done to your previous S.

stoney
10th May 2010, 06:28 PM

Most people will voice an opinion if asked and some are traditionalist (like old boy Crombers) but you can't say the place is anti-modding.... Hell some of the longest members and those who are on here the most have modded every car they have had :confused:

2nd that

Craig it might be the "anti-modders" are more vocal but I do have to agree with Baz, certainly feel it has changed from when I originally joined the site a few years ago. I know it is each to their own but Ryan's GP thread was a case in point

i have been here for ages and it seem the same to me i think we all have the right to say what we want to and yes mabie some say it more than others and if you ask me then you get people saying negative things on all forurms just take a look at my re map thread on northen mini where the guy from FOM was slaging my re map cos it was from some where other than 1320

You have to ask yourself what was it that made you want the GP ?

you could have bought a S and then done mods to that car. Things like your strut braces etc that are not seen are good. Performance mods well that's up to you was it worthwhile the performance mods that you had done to your previous S.

i wont be doing any perfomace mods as such just the manifold and yes the manifold did work well on my s just what i did after that that wrecked it

Scottie
10th May 2010, 06:33 PM
Well Stoney it sounds as if, like me you have learnt from some previous modding mistakes. I am sure whatever you decide to do will work and look good.

Bazthemod
10th May 2010, 06:44 PM

Well you have only been here a month longer than me so seen most of the things you have. Generalisation? maybe but it's not only me that notices it... I know a forum in particular that slags us off for being 'traditionalists'. That pisses me off coz im proud of this place. These are people who joined here first then went to another forum. How many members are we losing because of 'traditionalists' being negative.

I just feel things can get a bit stale round here and we shouldn't be putting people off. We are at the stage where the biggest and best run in Scotland is organised by an English club... seems a bit sad.

Fair enough people have an opinion including me but repetition/tradition gets boring.

stoney
10th May 2010, 06:53 PM
Well Stoney it sounds as if, like me you have learnt from some previous modding mistakes. I am sure whatever you decide to do will work and look good.

thanx fi

this was not ment as shall i mod my gp or not just seen as a lot of people where comenting on other threds about modding Gp's so started this thread

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 06:55 PM
Baz you need a wee cuddle dude :lol:

I am not sure what the whole issue is, but I do know I only use NMS for my mini fix, would feel strange using another place. The points about others negativity I can understand slightly where you coming from, the only thing I would suggest is that things sometimes don't come over the right way. Only through knowing people in the person can you understand their comments. I am going to look at ryan's thread to see what the comments were.

Scottie
10th May 2010, 06:57 PM
Well you have only been here a month longer than me so seen most of the things you have. Generalisation? maybe but it's not only me that notices it... I know a forum in particular that slags us off for being 'traditionalists'. That pisses me off coz im proud of this place. These are people who joined here first then went to another forum. How many members are we losing because of 'traditionalists' being negative.

I just feel things can get a bit stale round here and we shouldn't be putting people off. We are at the stage where the biggest and best run in Scotland is organised by an English club... seems a bit sad.

Fair enough people have an opinion including me but repetition/tradition gets boring.

Hey I resent that:hand::hand:.........:p:p didn't I put you on to those ultra cool led bulbs mod, I'm sure you bought a set:blush: you did didn't you. God I'm getting forgetful these days.:p:smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
10th May 2010, 07:00 PM

Sorry Baz, I'm with Craig on this one. There may be a couple of members who throw a hissy-fit with a slightly misaligned number plate, but the majority are very open to and encouraging of mods.:hand:

In fact, I've just checked your "viper" thread. Not a single negative post - before and after. Not sure where these "concerns" are.:confused:

A.:D

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 07:01 PM
There may be a couple of members who throw a hissy-fit with a slightly misaligned number plate

We want names Andy :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
10th May 2010, 07:05 PM
....I just feel things can get a bit stale round here and we shouldn't be putting people off. We are at the stage where the biggest and best run in Scotland is organised by an English club... seems a bit sad....

I can't think of a more ringing endorsement of the hospitality of Scottish people and the scenic quality of our roads than having an English "club" come up here for a weekend run:thumbs up:. I certainly don't see how that puts NMS in a bad light.:confused:

Although you could see this as me engineering the parting shot, and that's really not my intention, but if you want to slight NMS any further, can I suggest you raise a topic in the Feedback forum rather than in Stoney's thread regarding modding a GP.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
10th May 2010, 07:07 PM
Stoney, you mod away Pal... It's your car, you worked for the money that paid for it, it's yours, do with it as your heart desires.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

But dinnae make it look like a ned's car eh.:laugh:

stoney
10th May 2010, 07:10 PM
Stoney, you mod away Pal... It's your car, you worked for the money that paid for it, it's yours, do with it as your heart desires.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

dont you worry andy i wont make it look like a ned car it wont be changeing apart from what i have said

RyanK
10th May 2010, 08:03 PM
I bought a GP as it was the most sensible thing to do for me.

I had a black R53. Cost me £12k. Spent around £4-5k on aftermarket parts and accessories only to find that 8 months down the line of owning the car it was book valued at £8k. I lost 4k on a car that I had 6k of finance on and was essentially paying the finance company my depreciation costs...in which over time would only become more!

I also was far from finished with my R53. Needed 'bucket' seats, more performance and a few other niggly bits and pieces. In turn meaning I needed an extra £3k to finish off the car or to get it where I wanted it to be. For me personally, I could not justify this.

Rewind 4 months ago I had a shot of my Uncles ex GP just before he sold it. The £15k car was faster, handled better, sounded better, much better seats and so on than my R53 that cost me near £17k + the extra £ that was needed to 'finish it' so to speak.

It seemed far more sensible to go for the GP. Performance is good for me, only thing I really want to change is the wheels and the suspension. There is nothing wrong with the suspension on the GP, it handles far better than my black R53 did on the KW V1's...I just like my cars very low :D :lol:

Also, there are around 5-6 GP's currently within a 8 mile radius of my house. They are all the same and I personally feel its nice to have one a bit 'different'

For now, I am over the moon with my GP. I will own this car for a good while if things go my way, although I do miss my black car by the day & part of me wishes I kept it

Stewart
10th May 2010, 08:57 PM
I hope none of my responses were taken negative:sad:, if anything when I say I’d do nothing to a GP its basically as I think it’s a Bonkers Mini as it is and love it. I hate doing anything to my cars basically because I’m to scared to tinker. But I think that makes me appreciate peoples mod’s even more.

I always think forums are light hearted, I probably said in Ryan’s “No don’t do it” but that’s only because in my view it’s a GP and a GP should look like GP’s. I’d never come on and slate anyone and there car. In fact I usually get interested in what people are up to next, like Baz and his Works that looks fantastic but in my opinion I’d rally like a plain black works, not anti mod or anything I just like the look.

Talking from someone that thinks I’m doing well with a wee Arial and silver bulbs that are sitting there in there box till I con Greig to fit them on the Oban run.:smilewinkgrin:

As for the Highland Run, I thinks its really great that two mini groups are sharing a great run, means nothing to me it was not organised by anyone on here. :thumbs up:

And Craig big man I did not mean anything by saying your plate is out a wack.:blush: but it is:smilewinkgrin:

Burple
10th May 2010, 10:00 PM
:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

:laugh:

were we not speaking about this last night?? :p

GCA3N
10th May 2010, 10:49 PM
I hope none of my responses were taken negative:sad:, if anything when I say I’d do nothing to a GP its basically as I think it’s a Bonkers Mini as it is and love it. I hate doing anything to my cars basically because I’m to scared to tinker. But I think that makes me appreciate peoples mod’s even more.

I always think forums are light hearted, I probably said in Ryan’s “No don’t do it” but that’s only because in my view it’s a GP and a GP should look like GP’s. I’d never come on and slate anyone and there car. In fact I usually get interested in what people are up to next, like Baz and his Works that looks fantastic but in my opinion I’d rally like a plain black works, not anti mod or anything I just like the look.

Talking from someone that thinks I’m doing well with a wee Arial and silver bulbs that are sitting there in there box till I con Greig to fit them on the Oban run.:smilewinkgrin:

As for the Highland Run, I thinks its really great that two mini groups are sharing a great run, means nothing to me it was not organised by anyone on here. :thumbs up:

And Craig big man I did not mean anything by saying your plate is out a wack.:blush: but it is:smilewinkgrin:

:laugh:

Craig
10th May 2010, 10:54 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]And Craig big man I did not mean anything by saying your plate is out a wack.:blush: but it is:smilewinkgrin:

wait til I see you Robertson..... :yes nod:

zimbo
11th May 2010, 10:28 AM
...Hell some of the longest members and those who are on here the most have modded every car they have had :confused:

So I'll be amongst that list then... :yes nod:

Totally agree with what Andy has said Rob. I clicked the YES vote because I think and feel the same as others have already said, you have bought a car that you have wanted for a long time now because you can finally afford to do so, you have your own tastes and ideas of what you would like to do to your car and if you can afford to do it and its going to give you even more pleasure and enjoyment in the car then you go for it mate.
I mean I have always added my own touches to all my minis (infact all my cars ive owned) and I have never regretted a single minute of doing so.

To cut this long story short Rob, its your car do what ever is going to make you happy :thumbs up:

Everyone has there own tastes and it would be hellish if we all had the same tastes.

Crombers
11th May 2010, 10:49 AM
Fantastic ................................ raised voices :drool:

atnova
11th May 2010, 11:35 AM
I would mod a gp but without people knowing i have modded the car if you know what i mean same look, same ride height, improved organs(but has the looks of the original, so basically mega subtile tuning =]
Alex

stoney
11th May 2010, 06:22 PM
so meny pepes have taken this tread the wrong way it was just a Q to see what other people think about modding a GP

NOT SHALL I MOD MY GP

i will do what i want to do to my GP as its my GP not any one elces i am not going daft with my mods did that last time just putting a few bits that help it run and hanndle better

i did not want this to turn out in to a free for all fight lets see who can get the best dig in but it seem it has

so as of 2morow this thred will go to heaven for the weather and hell for the company :lol:

stoney
11th May 2010, 06:25 PM
and just one more thing Baz have a look at the poll and you say NMS is negative about moding

i make it 26 yes to 14 no so that says to me most of the members like moded cars even if it is a GP

Bazthemod
11th May 2010, 06:30 PM
Jesus man i've already agreed its a minority lol

weefossy
11th May 2010, 09:15 PM
Only one answer......It's your car Rob :thumbs up:
In my opinion the only weak link in the GP are the wheels, but not sure if i would change them? It's a classic as it is.

GP BILLY
12th May 2010, 10:03 AM
I bought the carbon fibre boot handle at the weekend and fitted it on monday, I also
fitted top and bottom strut braces, stainless steel bolts for wing mirrors rear spoiler and
engine cover, the car has a few decals removed and the side cruising lights colour coded,
led side lights and ITG filter and de-flap airbox, stubby aerial, Whalen gear knob,
next mods will be remove the central resonator, Silvertec indicator bulbs

Everything I have done or will do in the future to the GP will semi-permanent :thumbs up:
i.e the car can go back to factory spec in a day:yes nod:

I was on the GP owners club stand at Himley Hall on Sunday and out of the 23 GPs there
I would say mabye 3 were as they left the factory :clap: the others had some thing or other
done to make it that wee bit different :drool: (and all the GP owners loved seeing what each other
had done to there car:yes nod:)

Here's a link to the GP owners forum and the mods that some of them have had done
to there cars.
List your GP mods (http://www.totalmini.com/forum/37-2001-2006-1st-generation/10306-list-your-gp-mods.html)