PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer Prep in 2003 Gen 1

jdl_1967
6th May 2010, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know if my car is pre-wired for a CD changer please?

Option 650 Single CD Player 59.57
Option 657 Radio BOOST 114.89
Option 692 CD Changer Prep 0.00

I know the head unit can control a changer, but is there wiring to the boot already in place? or do I have to run a wiring harness from the head unit to the boot?

thanks guys

John

euan
6th May 2010, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know if my car is pre-wired for a CD changer please?

Option 650 Single CD Player 59.57
Option 657 Radio BOOST 114.89
Option 692 CD Changer Prep 0.00

I know the head unit can control a changer, but is there wiring to the boot already in place? or do I have to run a wiring harness from the head unit to the boot?

thanks guys

John

If that's listing from your cars spec, then yes it will be. Open up the rear panel, you should see the cabling (right hand side from memory). Or ring up a dealer with your chassis number, they'll be able to tell you.

jdl_1967
6th May 2010, 09:46 PM
Brilliant thanks, just been out with my headtorch on and found two plugs, one 6 pin and one 3 pin, must be it.

thanks again

euan
7th May 2010, 08:54 AM
The other option you have is not to use a changer but to use an iPod, there are kits that just plug into the changer cables.

I'm also pretty sure there was an Alpine changer that supported MP3 that you could use as well, but others may know better on that front as mine just had the standard changer in it. Bear in mind the changer gets bolted to the floor (in most cases!) so you lose a bit of boot space.

jdl_1967
7th May 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks Euan, I wanted to go with the iPod route originally, but I thought the earlier Alpine units only worked with a AUX line in and I wanted to be able to have some control of the iPod using the head unit or steering wheel controls. Do you know if I can use an iPod and still have that control with my head unit / wheel?

Thanks for your reply

John

josh_r53
7th May 2010, 06:41 PM
wanting a cd changer like? I dont use mine

josh

jdl_1967
7th May 2010, 10:48 PM
How much are you looking for please Josh? Does it play mp3 discs? will it play with the earlier Alpine head unit? Thanks, John

euan
8th May 2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks Euan, I wanted to go with the iPod route originally, but I thought the earlier Alpine units only worked with a AUX line in and I wanted to be able to have some control of the iPod using the head unit or steering wheel controls. Do you know if I can use an iPod and still have that control with my head unit / wheel?

Thanks for your reply

John

Best bet is to ping Mike at Newministuff (site sponsor too), I toyed with the Dension and Intravee on the Mini, ended up doing neither but fitted an Intravee to my BMW, I was really pleased with it. Mike will keep you right though, a few videos of how they work on Youtube.

Doug_m
13th May 2010, 07:05 PM
Anyone know if my mini with radio boost and harman kardon will have a cd changer plug? I can't see one at all...

Forbes
13th May 2010, 07:12 PM
Phone David at JCs or just look, though don't think the HK kits usually do as the amp is in the back right panel isn't it

Doug_m
13th May 2010, 07:31 PM
I maybe will. I have looked and yes amps in back right panel. Tried taking it out and still can't see anymore wires/plugs

Forbes
13th May 2010, 07:59 PM
Don't think you can then. Certainly not OEM. Might be worth speaking to Mikey at NewMiniStuff

mikeythemini
15th May 2010, 10:09 PM
It doesnt matter if you have cd prep or not you can add an ipod
You can add a gateway 100 t the cd changer port on the back of the stereo & get charging, playlist & track control from the stereo. You will only get titles on 2005 on boost units though

Dobboy
6th February 2017, 11:21 AM
Looking for a bit of info please.

My car (R53) was set up with CD changer prep.

I've bought a changer for it (still to be delivered).

Had a quick squint behind the OS brake panel and I see a small 6-pin plug sort of tied in with the loom, (there may be another when I unravel the loom/tape, but haven't done that yet).

I believe the changer takes two separate plugs ( a 6-pin and a 3-pin).

Does anyone know if the two plugs should come from the same part of the loom, or does one originate from the battery area (3-pin for power?)

Also, how does the unit fix to the body?, any pics of a changer installed would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

EcosseGP
6th February 2017, 04:51 PM
You putting the changer back in the boot ?
Usually the changer plugs directly into the rear of the head unit. I've not heard of it going anywhere else unless that's part of the HK set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dobboy
6th February 2017, 10:32 PM
It's never had the changer but the car was wired for it as an option, and I can see one of the two plugs it needs but not sure where the other is.

I still buy CD's [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
7th February 2017, 07:31 AM
Can't remember what the connection looks like, will have a look when I get a chance, but the mounting brackets screw into the boot carpet IIRC, and screw to the changer itself

EcosseGP
7th February 2017, 09:24 AM
I took the changer out of mine but you're right it mounts on the offside rear in the boot. Can't mind if I took the cable out or just tucked it away to hide it.
Personally now I wouldn't bother with a changer better with a head unit that'll take USB it'll save the CDs skipping everytime you go over a bump.

Dobboy
7th February 2017, 12:53 PM
Thanks both, any info/pics would be handy.

I had already paid for it before I seen this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111573253653?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

which I think looks quite good for the money.

Mon the fish
7th February 2017, 01:33 PM
Ipod and Denison icelink works great with the OEM headunit. Ipod is hidden in the glovebox, and the MFSW controls it like the CD changer. Track name appears on the headunit too

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
7th February 2017, 03:04 PM
Not being funny but you'd get a head unit with USB, CD and handsfree calling for a few pounds more.
I'll get some photos when I get a chance.

Dobboy
7th February 2017, 03:33 PM
Yeah?

well I've bought that changer so will see what it's like. My lofts filled with old albums on CD I've not heard for ages, the changer will save me transferring them to MP3 etc..... if it works, and 6 albums should keep me going at a time.

Mon the fish
7th February 2017, 05:57 PM
Get hold of another CD magazine from ebay or wherever - that's what I used to have. Keep it filled with CDs in the glovebox, then effectively you've got a 12 disc changer

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dobboy
7th February 2017, 08:34 PM
Good idea!

I found the other plug, it was tied into the loom. So I think I'm good to go when the changer arrives. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobboy
10th February 2017, 11:09 AM
That's it plugged in and working.

Anyone got a picture of one fitted/fixed? does it get fixed to the boot floor matt? where was the wiring ran when fitted at the factory?

TIA

emicen
10th February 2017, 12:00 PM
There's a metal bracket that screws it in, I'll take a picture later, think it uses the rear plastics screw holes with slightly longer screws.

emicen
10th February 2017, 01:44 PM
Spare cartridge here, £18 posted.

You can even have the CDs still in it [emoji23]