PDA

View Full Version : 19,000 for ALL brake pads and discs!!

AndyP & Lenore
29th April 2010, 09:06 PM
Our R56 has just been in to Vardy for a TLC service. When we arrived they stuck the key in the wee reader and it told them all that was required was a brake service???? So, they checked the brakes and it seems I need new discs and pads all round. Now I realise these are wear and tear items, but for them all to require replacing after just 19,000 is shocking. Refused to have them replaced and we're going to take the car to an independent garage and get a second opinion on them.

I've had a look at the discs and they look fine to me, but then, I'm no expert.:confused:

A.:frown:

Delboy
29th April 2010, 09:17 PM
I agree Andy, that is shocking. I also cannot believe that your rear discs need replacing at this mileage and that they are done at the same time as the front discs since the front brakes do most of the stopping.
Think you are right to get a second opinion.

AndyP & Lenore
29th April 2010, 09:23 PM
I agree Andy, that is shocking. I also cannot believe that your rear discs need replacing at this mileage and that they are done at the same time as the front discs since the front brakes do most of the stopping.
Think you are right to get a second opinion.

Well, here's the strange thing... They reckon the front ones have another 3k on them, but the rear ones need replacing now:confused:. What worries me is they seem to be just going by what the cars on board computer is telling them. How in hell the cars OBC can tell when the pads/discs need replacing I really don't know. They say the rear ones are quite pitted. I've looked at them, and unless I don't know what pitted discs look like, they look fine to me.

A.:confused:

Gismo
29th April 2010, 09:29 PM
Defo get a second opinion from a non BMW garage

stoney
29th April 2010, 09:34 PM
dose the R56 not have pad sensor on them witch in turns lights up a warning light on your dash my r53 jcw has this

Knox18
29th April 2010, 09:37 PM
i even got 20k out my impreza rear brakes, the fronts however ( we wont even go there )

theres no way your rears need replacing! they do F all

euan
29th April 2010, 11:43 PM
There was a rumour (and I stress that's all I heard!) that BMW dealers are doing this as a way of "topping up" your service costs. An example - my old 3 series apparently needed brakes, I didn't let them do it. They had the car 2 months later for some other work and it was never mentioned, I asked (not mentioning the previous service!) and they said "no, your brakes are fine". So I'd be getting a second opinion!

I'm fully expecting my Audi to come back saying it needs new pads next week, but i actually do think they need doing - cross drilled and massive discs - eek!

GCA3N
30th April 2010, 06:22 AM
Andy I took of my calipers and pads on mine doing the clean on them last week and there is a wear sensor on them. What I would say is thoughI have done 21k and the computer says there is 6k left on them. I looked and theres loads of pad left.

I have had this though a few times before from garages and it is an easy way for them to get a lot of money for little work. As you know I done the pads and discs on my R50 mc and in total they cost me about £100. Took me 2 hours to do all 4. The garages will charge you double for the parts (atleast) then charge you a £100 an hour for some "technician" getting paid £7 an hour to change them.

I seriously doubt that your discs are worn that much, however if the pads have gone down to the metal then they could have scored the discs and in there lies the problem. In times gone past the disc would have just been skimmed flat and put back on now they just throw them away.

I had a company car a while back and put it in for it's service and had a similar report come back (Reg vardi was the dealership) Even although the service was fully paid for by the company I queried the report and said I'm taking it for a second opinion. I put the car in to another garage for a check over asking them specifically for a report on the brake discs and pads. When I picked the car up they said there was only a very small ammount of wear and everything was fine.

So I think you should defo get a second opinion. I hate hearing things like this because, and I know we are not all handy men, so to speak but it is so easy to change the discs and pads on a car it's unbelievable. I am not saying everyone should just try as it is an important part that has to be done correctly, I just wish I was closer by and I would come over and do it for you.

Hope it all works out Andy, keep us all posted.

The Dogfather
30th April 2010, 06:50 AM
My brakes needed replacing at 20k, the front pads were worn and had scored the discs. The one of the rears also had scored, quite badly in fact so the whole lot had to be replaced.

I put it down to too many trips over Hartside. I got the whole lot replaced with OEM parts for £120 less than what BMW wanted by going to a local independent who services my TT.

ianking
30th April 2010, 08:29 AM
Doubt they need replacing Andy.
However the rears on yours may be pitted due to being an automatic and you not having to use the hand brake as much.
However they could be cleaned up instead of being replaced.
Easiest way to try and get rid of the pitting and clean them up would be to find an empty straight section of road. Get up to about 50mph and floor the brakes. Do that a couple times and that should clean them. If the rears still dont clean then drive along at about 30mph and click up the handbrake a couple clicks for a couple seconds.

Pits will be like tiny rust spots on the face of the dics.
My rears looked like that after the winter salt and not driving fast enough in the bad weather to use the brakes hard enough that the rears would kick in. Cleaned them up using the 50mph method mentioned above. Thought I would have to strip them down but they are fine now.

Mon the fish
30th April 2010, 11:45 AM
I get less than 18k out of my JCW brakes all round...

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2010, 07:20 PM
A wee update...

Been to a local independent garage today and asked them to give us an opinion on the brakes. It seems the rear discs are actually quite badly scored on the inside of the disc especially. He got me to rub my finger on the inside and I can see what he's talking about. Hardly any pitting but there is definitely uneven scoring there so I accept they need changed. The rear pads are OK, but probably best to change them if changing the discs. He reckons the front are fine. They have a few months left, but probably not to the end of the year. The pads are more worn than the rear though, so we "should replace those at the same time as doing the rear."

Whilst none of that is music to our ears, at least they took the time to explain why/where they need replaced instead of just relying on a computer telling them.

Going to get this indy to do the job as it will save a bucket on labour costs.

Now it's decision time....

Do we just get replacement MINI discs/pads or are there better quality or more durable discs and pads available from aftermarket manufacturers?

Kind of fancy these from GT Tuning (http://www.gtt.uk.com/brakes.asp), but no idea if they will fit an R56. I'll give Roland a call on Monday, but in the mean time has anyone used these?

Any other options we should consider? There are EBC grooved discs on eBay for £125. No idea how good they are, or if the £125 is a good buy or a rip-off.

All input appreciated.

A.:D

Mon the fish
1st May 2010, 07:46 AM
The R56 Cooper S setup is effectively the same as the R53 JCW. From what I've seen, a cost-effective way of improving is to get the JCW slotted/drilled discs, with Mintex M1144 pads. A more expensive (and better) way is to get Carbotech XP8 pads, and Nitrac discs - this is what I'm thinking of doing.

See here: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-works/157118-gp-r56-john-cooper-works-sports-brakes.html

From what I've read, the Porsche kit is good, but a total waste of money - you don't see that much improvement over something like the Carbotechs.

Big Gordy
1st May 2010, 09:22 AM
I would recomend staying away from the EBC discs Andy:frown: but that's just a personal opinion as I had lots of trouble with them on my Mondeo.....went through 2 sets in 18 months due to them warping:ragin: Both sets were replaced under warranty but had lost faith by then:sad: There green stuff pads are good tho:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
1st May 2010, 12:39 PM
Cheers Gordy.:thumbs up:

A.

bry_mini
1st May 2010, 07:34 PM
when my brakes needed done on the old coop i replaced them with standard discs with green stuff pads. much beter than standard!
i really like the green stuff pads, didnt realise how good uprated pads are untill i went back to standard jobs on my current car.
although this time around with the S ill be doing the pads and discs!
not sure what combo yet.

Crombers
3rd May 2010, 11:13 AM
You guys must all be HEAVVVVVVVVVY brakers :idunno: :rolleyes:

I managed to get to 55K on original front pads from new. Rear pads are STILL original factories and discs are likewise :thumbs up:

I must be a 'gear box stirrer' :smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
3rd May 2010, 11:21 AM
I think it's because we don't use the car enough tbh.:blush:

I had a look at Craig's rear discs yesterday and they are plenty thick enough, smooth and look like they have plenty mileage in them. Ours by contrast, are rutted to hell and are noticeable thinner. My theory is that because we don't use the car enough, corrosion builds up and then when we do blow the cobwebs off it, it takes a whole pile of steel off as well, giving uneven scoring and reducing the thickness of the disc disproportionately over what would normally happen if we used the car on a daily basis.

That said, you don't use yours much..... but you're is kept indoors right?:confused:

A.

Crombers
3rd May 2010, 11:50 AM
Interesting theory chief. Now that I don't use the MINI as a daily runner I may see a difference, but then again 'yup' I'm 'garaged' :yes nod:

KenL
3rd May 2010, 07:03 PM
My mate's wife's car (Peugeot 206CC) needed new year pads well before the fronts. He could not understand this until he bought replacements and realised that there is far less pad material on their rear pads than there is on the fronts.

Wonder if this is the same with MINI?

Mon the fish
3rd May 2010, 08:36 PM
I keep mine indoors, do 3k miles a year, and I'm onto my fourth set of pads and discs all round. I've done 60k in total... Front tyres last about 8k miles. Dammit it's an expensive little toy!

I read somewhere years ago that rear discs can rust easily, due to the lack of use they get. I probably over-compensate for this by using the handbrake to clean them more than I need to

Duncan Stewart
8th May 2010, 01:41 AM
I had early rear disc / pad replacement (under 20K) on my first R50 and my last R56 Mini (they were worn to stage of needing replaced)
My understanding is that it is due to using the car on filthy, salty country roads (the kind I commute to work on) in winter where rear brakes are hardly used by all the salty dirt builds up and rusts & scores them.
Not so much of a problem on cleaner, faster main roads?
I was recomended to regularly use the handbrake to stop / slow the car, where safe to do so - straight road and no one behind you. Did this regularly on my second R50 which I had for nearly 3 years and over 40,000 miles and had no problems. Got out of the habit with my R56 :argh:

AndyP & Lenore
8th May 2010, 11:15 AM
Thats interesting Duncan, thanks for your input.

Maybe give the hand brake thing a wee try and see if it helps on the new discs and pads.

A wee update: Got four new disc and pad sets sitting in a box downstairs waiting to be fitted by a local garage. We went for the drilled and slotted discs from MINI. As usual site sponsor JC's looked after us - many thanks David!

A.

ianking
9th May 2010, 03:50 PM
Im sure I also suggested to you the handbrake trick as well Andy, honest it does work and will prolong the life of the rear discs.

AndyP & Lenore
9th May 2010, 05:13 PM
Im sure I also suggested to you the handbrake trick as well Andy, honest it does work and will prolong the life of the rear discs.

Doubt they need replacing Andy.
However the rears on yours may be pitted due to being an automatic and you not having to use the hand brake as much.
However they could be cleaned up instead of being replaced.
Easiest way to try and get rid of the pitting and clean them up would be to find an empty straight section of road. Get up to about 50mph and floor the brakes. Do that a couple times and that should clean them. If the rears still dont clean then drive along at about 30mph and click up the handbrake a couple clicks for a couple seconds.

Pits will be like tiny rust spots on the face of the dics.
My rears looked like that after the winter salt and not driving fast enough in the bad weather to use the brakes hard enough that the rears would kick in. Cleaned them up using the 50mph method mentioned above. Thought I would have to strip them down but they are fine now.

Indeedy you diddy:thumbs up:. Sorry missed that.:blush:

A.:D

Livi
9th May 2010, 05:43 PM
As usual site sponsor JC's looked after us - many thanks David!
A.

Andy,

Glad you got them, and many thanks again for using myself for parts :thumbs up: