PDA

View Full Version : custom exhaust

josh_r53
28th April 2010, 12:22 AM
I have a brand new replacement milltek getting sent up as mine is wrecked, so i thought i might take advantage of the situation and do something different.

I'm not too keen on the centre exit on the r53 and so might get a cooper sided exit exhaust. However, all the cooper exhausts on offer are only 2.25" and don't wanna choke, so has anyone used any local custom exhaust manufacturers and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay?

Looking for a straight 2.5' cat-back with single muffler.

Cheers for the help

Big Gordy
28th April 2010, 07:50 AM
Ross just got a full custom made manifold back exhaust for his track car by a place in Falkirk (Stainless Creations:yes nod:) Cost was about 350 quid I think:thumbs up: It only has a single muffler as well.
The guy is one mean welder, even makes his own intercoolers..!!

stoney
28th April 2010, 07:55 AM
I ussed a place in ek but if u plan on getting a manifold for your mini I would be carefull on what u go for as I did mine and it burst my ear drums all the time !!! But if u keep standard manifold it would be fine !!!

Craig
28th April 2010, 08:16 AM
I have used Stainless Creations in Falkirk also and their workmanship is superb ;)

they can make pretty much whatever you want !

GCA3N
28th April 2010, 08:42 AM
I have used Stainless Creations in Falkirk also and their workmanship is superb ;)

they can make pretty much whatever you want !

Ditto and found them very good to deal with.

ELFMAN
28th April 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm wondering if they can do something with my JCW S/S exhaust to make it sound as if it's got a pair...

Craig
28th April 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm wondering if they can do something with my JCW S/S exhaust to make it sound as if it's got a pair...

Oh yes Euan, sounds like a plan, although as you will be aware your warranty on the exhaust would be nil, but the guys in Falkirk would look after you ;)

josh_r53
28th April 2010, 02:57 PM
This sounds like my plan is coming together, I'll give stainless creations an email and see what they can do,

now do i go for 2.5" or bigger hmm.....

oh and elfman, I heard a guy with a GP had his front silencer removed and the exhaust came alive, and it kept the JCW ehxaust, should be the same for the r56, just replace the silencer with a straight pipe, or a couple of folk with r56 have had their stock cat cut open removed and then welded back together, so BMW cant tell.

Stoney that exhaust must of been LOUD with the decat, :D

stoney
28th April 2010, 03:28 PM
Stoney that exhaust must of been LOUD with the decat, :D

yep thats why i am saying to watch what you are going for if you plan a new manifold as it my just give off a nice rip with no manifold but when you put a new one on it makes it about 4 x as loud !!!!! i know as have done this and dont theink the r56 has a middle box not shure tho

Gismo
28th April 2010, 03:36 PM
Be wary of changing manifolds, with the R53 super charged engines there is a fair bit of engine flex which extends through the manifold.
Miltek are one company that had problems with their manifold cracking at certain points.

My turbo converted R53 had a GTT manifold and de-cat connected to a Miltek cat back system and it wasn't too loud and even passed it's MOT :thumbs up:

stoney
28th April 2010, 03:42 PM
My turbo converted R53 had a GTT manifold and de-cat connected to a Miltek cat back system and it wasn't too loud and even passed it's MOT :thumbs up:

same one as i have i would say best on the market !!!!

GCA3N
28th April 2010, 04:23 PM
now do i go for 2.5" or bigger hmm.....

I'm sure mine's is 2 x 3.5'' (might be 3'') and it looks the biz.

josh_r53
13th May 2010, 04:01 PM
right, after a massive conversation on NAM, with back pressure and everything else I chose to go with the Janpspeed manifold and decat with the cooper mongoose exhaust,

the janspeed having a 2.25" collector it seemed daft going to a larger exhaust so chose the mongoose 2.25" system.

got a one rear bumper spoiler and it looks minted can't wait to get it all sorted

GCA3N
13th May 2010, 04:16 PM
right, after a massive conversation on NAM, with back pressure and everything else I chose to go with the Janpspeed manifold and decat with the cooper mongoose exhaust,

the janspeed having a 2.25" collector it seemed daft going to a larger exhaust so chose the mongoose 2.25" system.

got a one rear bumper spoiler and it looks minted can't wait to get it all sorted

Sounds Amazing you must be chuffed to bits :thumbs up:

Forbes
13th May 2010, 06:18 PM
Ah the good old S to Coop conversion, I hope the debadge is done/happening:thumbs up:

Craig
13th May 2010, 06:51 PM
Well done Josh - Looking forward to seeing this done... ;)