PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding brakes

mogster
25th April 2010, 02:28 PM
Hi there

I fitted front brake pads the other day to my wifes R56 Mini Cooper. I've tried to bed the pads in but the pedal still feels a bit spongy. To bleed the brakes is there any sequence to where you should start. Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

GCA3N
25th April 2010, 04:04 PM
From memory open the fill pot first, then whilst someone slowly presses the brake pedal crack open the bleed nipple. Keep pressing the pedal until it reaches the floor. Then close the bleed nipple before you lift the brake pedal (IMPORTANT AS IF YOU LIFT THE PEDDLE BEFORE YOU SHUT THE BLEED NIPPLE YOU WILL DRAW AIR IN) Keep this process up until the air is out, remember to keep an eye on the fill pot ensuring it is always well topped up. Hope this helps.

Gismo
25th April 2010, 05:46 PM
Start from the furthest away bleed nipple.
There are various bleed kits available now, check Halfords, i'm sure you can get one person kits as well, failing that, book it in, can't be over cautious where brakes are concerned, perhaps you've even got a slight leak somewhere, check behind the wheels for signs of weeping from the brake lines

GCA3N
25th April 2010, 05:52 PM
Start from the furthest away bleed nipple.
There are various bleed kits available now, check Halfords, i'm sure you can get one person kits as well, failing that, book it in, can't be over cautious where brakes are concerned, perhaps you've even got a slight leak somewhere, check behind the wheels for signs of weeping from the brake lines

Alan is right if your not sure get help or put it in to a garage. The haynes manual is excellent too if your determined to do it yourself.

mogster
26th April 2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks again for the advice. It's appreciated...