PDA

View Full Version : WD40 on wheels?

Fartin Martin
25th April 2010, 01:10 PM
My uncle found on an audi forum that WD40 removes tar spots off of paint work..so he tried it and yeah it works..but I was abit sceptical as to how save it was?

whats everyones thoughts?

im going to wash the car and was gonna try it on my wheels..but dont wanna damage them!

cheers

Martin

bry_mini
25th April 2010, 02:11 PM
parafin! but will take off any wax or protection you have on.

Fartin Martin
25th April 2010, 02:12 PM
parafin! but will take off any wax or protection you have on.

cheers mate..not doing it now though..bloody rain!!! lol

probs durin the week now..means a can get a wheel sealant too then..what you recommend?

bry_mini
25th April 2010, 02:22 PM
i use poorboys wheel sealant, popular choice. big tub wich lasts aaaages lol, still got lots if you wana try it before you get some :)

Fartin Martin
25th April 2010, 03:01 PM
i use poorboys wheel sealant, popular choice. big tub wich lasts aaaages lol, still got lots if you wana try it before you get some :)

aye that would great dude..if thats ok?..al give you a shout when im gonna do it..appreciate it mate :thumbs up:

stoney
25th April 2010, 03:46 PM

i use poor boys stuff its brill give it 2 or 3 coats amd next time you wash them the dust will almost just fall off

Fartin Martin
25th April 2010, 03:52 PM
i use poor boys stuff its brill give it 2 or 3 coats amd next time you wash them the dust will almost just fall off

good stuff!..looking forward to using it..cos the Flame Spokes are pretty brutal to clean I think..miss my R90s for they're ease of cleaning! :p

GCA3N
25th April 2010, 03:58 PM
I use the poor boys too fantastic. Autosmart glue and tar remover for the tar is defo the best. trust me living on Arran where every car seems to be covered in Tar (from excessive jet patching to save money and time)

KenL
25th April 2010, 05:24 PM

Yes, the next time you wash but I am not convinced about its durability.

I spent ages removing the little baked on pieces of brake dust from my wheels, mainly the fronts.

My fingers were aching after numerous goings over with Bilberry wheel cleaner and some clay. I applied a few coats of the wheel sealant and yes it seems to put a good wax like water repellent on them. I applied it again after a couple of weeks and again a few weeks after that.

However, the pesky little black blobs of brake dust are starting to reappear on my wheels :frown:. Looks like my fingers will be worn down to the knuckles again trying to remove it.

Once it is gone again, if I apply the wheel sealant every week when I wash the car, do you think it will keep the baked on bits away?

Stewart
25th April 2010, 05:41 PM
Thinking of hitting my wheels with Tar and glue remover and just doing what I can with the wheels still on the car.

Think the best thing is to get the wheels off and give then a dam good clean and polish and seal them. Whish I had done it but my wheels are getting better every wash. Never had the wheels off.

stoney
25th April 2010, 05:59 PM
Yes, the next time you wash but I am not convinced about its durability.

I spent ages removing the little baked on pieces of brake dust from my wheels, mainly the fronts.

My fingers were aching after numerous goings over with Bilberry wheel cleaner and some clay. I applied a few coats of the wheel sealant and yes it seems to put a good wax like water repellent on them. I applied it again after a couple of weeks and again a few weeks after that.

However, the pesky little black blobs of brake dust are starting to reappear on my wheels :frown:. Looks like my fingers will be worn down to the knuckles again trying to remove it.

Once it is gone again, if I apply the wheel sealant every week when I wash the car, do you think it will keep the baked on bits away?

It won't keep them away ther is no way of doing that but will help when cleaning them

N16SHP
25th April 2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah, the Poorboys wont take anything off, but it will give you a decent coat meaning when you clean them, the dust should just fall off. A couple of coats to make it work best!!

euan
25th April 2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, the Poorboys wont take anything off, but it will give you a decent coat meaning when you clean them, the dust should just fall off. A couple of coats to make it work best!!

Yeah, you say a couple of coats - my wheels have so many spokes, it took an hour to do one! It did seem to work, though I'm not convinced it was any better than a good coating of my normal car wax on the alloys. Smells better though ;-)

bry_mini
25th April 2010, 09:14 PM
yeah the stuff works well as a protective coating but wont stop tar spots! i use my normal shampoo (dodo) to clean my wheels, no wheel cleaner needed. does take quite alot of time to do as i have multi spokes but its worth it.

just givs a shout whenever dude!! :)

Mini_Disaster
27th April 2010, 01:34 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOSMART-%22TARDIS%22-TAR-%26-GLUE-REMOVER---500ML-OEM_W0QQitemZ280490796854QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=3216e3121280a0e20213b1e3fe6d3636

Can recommend that for removing tar, its safe for using on paint as well for removing stuck on bugs etc

Then polish wheels with SRP.

Then as said a few coats of poorboys wheel sealant

Stewart
27th April 2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah its on my list, got the AG stuff to use first although I;ve passed the blooming Autosmart Van a few times next time i think I'll stop and try and buy some.

GCA3N
27th April 2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah its on my list, got the AG stuff to use first although I;ve passed the blooming Autosmart Van a few times next time i think I'll stop and try and buy some.

I use a seller on EBAY who is excellent.

Stewart
27th April 2010, 06:30 PM
I use a seller on EBAY who is excellent.

is that the same as the link above?

baptie
27th April 2010, 07:09 PM
Just bought 1Ltr Smartwheels and 1Ltr Tardis.

Love smartwheels, works a treat and is non acidic. Wonder wheels works a charm but is Very corrosive.

GCA3N
27th April 2010, 07:33 PM
is that the same as the link above?

Sorry should have put the link up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autosmart-Tardis-G101-Autosmart-Trim-Ultra-250ml-/150433433962?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230688096a

I found them very good and excellent on questions etc. You don't need much of the trim stuff and the tar remover a little goes a long way. This one above would be a good way to try it before buying loads. :thumbs up:

Stewart
28th April 2010, 12:16 AM
Cheers, as you said some of these things go a long way unless your washing cars everyday. I think it would take me ten years to go through that CG stuff. The Autosmart tar stuff might just be that bit better than the AG stuff.

Bookmarked the bayshop and I'll try the AG stuff next wash to try and shift the tar and brake dust.

AndyP & Lenore
28th April 2010, 11:00 PM
Will move this to car Care forum folks, seems more appropriate really.:thumbs up:

A.

k3ith
29th April 2010, 10:34 PM
The items that are previously mentioned here are from my ebay shop, as I dont pay to advertise here(not as yet) I am not sure how this stands me posting about them but there will be changes to the way these types of products are sold on ebay very shortly, which might result in them being banned. If people are interested and if the mods agree then people can contact me for further info. Group buys for people who might not be able to get to AS reps or who dont need 5L's.