PDA

View Full Version : 501 Led Side Lights that work

Scottie
23rd April 2010, 09:59 PM
Finally some led side lights that do not bring up the canbus error tried some in the past in my other R56's but always got the light out error. I reckon these will work dandy in the earlier Minis aswell no flickering or staying (dim) on once the ignition is switched off.:thumbs up:

Saw over on TM a thread about led side lights and a member had fitted these so thought I'd give them a try. TBH I had light bulbs in that I got from newministuff and they are actually fine and I had no real reason to change other than wanting to see what these would be like and not to much ££ to loose if they didn't work.

I'm glad that I bothered as I actually think the look is good and much brighter than the previous light bulbs. These look better in the flesh I think. Ordered one day arrived the next 5 mins to fit them tonight, as always with the R56 you got to watch that the bulb dose not come out and fall in to the lamp, you can either take the wheel off for ease of fitment or just turn the wheel if you have a thin arm and long fingers.

a tip should you want to fit these the black light plug has a thick and thin locating lug keep this in mind makes twisting the plug back in to place alot easier.:blush:

They are called Mini LED Sidelight 501 T10 W5W HID no canbus errors they are funny looking things.

I bought them from here MAKE SURE YOU SELECT MINI.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-LED-Sidelight-501-T10-W5W-HID-no-canbus-errors_W0QQitemZ130367263404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1e5a7e92ac #ht_3846wt_1052

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/Library-5147.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/Library-5149.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/Library-5151.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/Library-5152.jpg

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 10:03 PM
excellent off to buy now nice one. oh yeh look the bollocks.

Craig
23rd April 2010, 10:03 PM
Nice one!! Might buy a couple. ;)

looking good !

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 10:25 PM
ordered nice find, look so much better than the standard.

N16SHP
24th April 2010, 05:51 PM
Damnit, thats what I was really wanting. Got some from NMStuff which are ok, but didn't notice too much change :-(

Bazthemod
24th April 2010, 06:25 PM
Also ordered a pair of these ;)

N16SHP
24th April 2010, 07:42 PM
Hurmf, i'm so temped by these but feel it would be money wasted to Mikey. Can the sidelights be used anywhere else in the car?

Delboy
26th April 2010, 02:00 PM
Ordered :thumbs up:. Just hope I can get them fitted without taking the front wheels off!

Craig
26th April 2010, 02:50 PM
Ordered :thumbs up:. Just hope I can get them fitted without taking the front wheels off!

Course you can Del, no probs ;)

N16SHP
27th April 2010, 11:08 AM

When I fitted my Osram ones the other day, if you turn the wheel in on the side that you are fitting (not out as I tried first and thought man this is tough, until I realised I'd turned the the wrong way...yes daft I know!) you can reach in and twist to the left and pull out. Once you know what you are doing it is literally a 2 minute job each side. Just be careful when you are putting the lights back in as they don't sit very securely and you don't wanna drop the light into the glass.

Delboy
27th April 2010, 11:48 AM
Course you can Del, no probs ;)

When I fitted my Osram ones the other day, if you turn the wheel in on the side that you are fitting (not out as I tried first and thought man this is tough, until I realised I'd turned the the wrong way...yes daft I know!) you can reach in and twist to the left and pull out. Once you know what you are doing it is literally a 2 minute job each side. Just be careful when you are putting the lights back in as they don't sit very securely and you don't wanna drop the light into the glass.

Thanks chaps, sounds ok :thumbs up:.

Mini Ecosse
27th April 2010, 12:43 PM

Ditto :thumbs up:

N16SHP
29th April 2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks chaps, sounds ok :thumbs up:.

CORRECTION!!!!!!! Just fitted the LED's, and remembered that you turn the wheel out, not in, on the side you are fitting. Took me about a minute of going "jeez, I know i had a big tea last night, but didn't think the fat would get to my arms that quickly!" Then realising that I had to turn the wheel out not in!!

Also moved the Osram ones to my puddle lights, so the inside floor now has a nice bluey/white tinge to it!

GCA3N
29th April 2010, 01:32 PM
CORRECTION!!!!!!! Just fitted the LED's, and remembered that you turn the wheel out, not in, on the side you are fitting. Took me about a minute of going "jeez, I know i had a big tea last night, but didn't think the fat would get to my arms that quickly!" Then realising that I had to turn the wheel out not in!!

Also moved the Osram ones to my puddle lights, so the inside floor now has a nice bluey/white tinge to it!

Nice one neil, mines arrived today but it will be next week b4 i fit them, although with no flying again this week with the weather it might be a while lol

Delboy
29th April 2010, 02:35 PM

Thanks Neil - mine arrived today so I will try to fit them tonight :thumbs up:.

Bazthemod
29th April 2010, 02:52 PM
Got mine today but can only fit one side! The holder on the offside just spin and wont come out! Grrr why is nothing ever simple with this car?

So im back to ****ty yellow bulbs lol

ianking
29th April 2010, 04:13 PM
Think I will need to order these as well.

I have the set from Mikeys that are ment to be brighter but they just look the same to be honest.

N16SHP
29th April 2010, 05:40 PM
Think I will need to order these as well.

I have the set from Mikeys that are ment to be brighter but they just look the same to be honest.

Thats the reason why I ordered the LED's, i thought, I bought the Osram ones, and they are not what I want. Its only a few quid.

Another word of warning, they will only fit in one way to the actually light housing, so watch you don't knock they out and drop them into the housing when putting them in!

N16SHP
29th April 2010, 05:41 PM
Nice one neil, mines arrived today but it will be next week b4 i fit them, although with no flying again this week with the weather it might be a while lol

When did the no flying kick in again up here?

GCA3N
29th April 2010, 05:44 PM
It's the fog now! nightmare. They have changed all the rules now on the ash fiasco, so that won't happy again.

Stewart
29th April 2010, 05:59 PM
Got mine today but can only fit one side! The holder on the offside just spin and wont come out! Grrr why is nothing ever simple with this car?

So im back to ****ty yellow bulbs lol

Just got my wee Arial and the Bulbs for the front indicators but I hate things like this, so they are sitting on the table, Question why did I get Angel delight with the bulbs and was it wrong to eat the stuff:smilewinkgrin:. You'd laugh but my Mini Arial would not come off and ended up the screw mount was left with the rubber bit in my hand but the screw part that did come of with a gentle turn with pliers.

Really hate doing anything with car, I break stuff too easy.

N16SHP
29th April 2010, 06:04 PM
Just got my wee Arial and the Bulbs for the front indicators but I hate things like this, so they are sitting on the table, Question why did I get Angel delight with the bulbs and was it wrong to eat the stuff:smilewinkgrin:. You'd laugh but my Mini Arial would not come off and ended up the screw mount was left with the rubber bit in my hand but the screw part that did come of with a gentle turn with pliers.

Really hate doing anything with car, I break stuff too easy.

I'd say I was the same until I got my Mini, things are relatively simple on the Mini, and after fitting my additional headlights, and pretty much taking the left hand side of the car apart to do so, feel I can do a lot more than I thought!

Scottie
29th April 2010, 06:23 PM
Thats the reason why I ordered the LED's, i thought, I bought the Osram ones, and they are not what I want. Its only a few quid.

Another word of warning, they will only fit in one way to the actually light housing, so watch you don't knock they out and drop them into the housing when putting them in!

Read my first post I explained about the lugs and the bulbs dropping out.LOL

Scottie
29th April 2010, 06:25 PM
I've had my sides on all week trying to be an Audi.LOL thankfully these are no way as in your face as those awful audi ones. The further you stand away from the car to look at your handy work the better the lights look.

N16SHP
29th April 2010, 06:55 PM
Read my first post I explained about the lugs and the bulbs dropping out.LOL

Ah, I thought it was you that had already said it Fi, but due to my right finger laziness, i couldn't be bothered going back to the first page to check lol!!

Have to say, good find btw Fi. I'd spent ages trying to find some LED's and wasn't convinced some of them wouldn't set of the alarms so thats why I originally plunked for the Osrams. Big thanks!

GCA3N
29th April 2010, 07:28 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Question why did I get Angel delight with the bulbs and was it wrong to eat the stuff:smilewinkgrin

I got some too with my black light ring set from mike the mini, butterscotch flavour, I too ate mine and still here. Very strange indeed.

Stewart
29th April 2010, 07:57 PM
Angel delight cant be cheaper than bubble rap can it.....;)

Delboy
29th April 2010, 07:59 PM
Got mine fitted ok tonight :thumbs up:. They are a tight fit getting them into the light housing right enough :yes nod: and they don't seem to be held very tightly by the bulb holder so I just hope they don't work their way out :frown:.

They look great though and are more bluey than the xenons - here you go:-

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/P4291891.jpg
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/P4291892.jpg
With xenons on:-
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/P4291894.jpg

GCA3N
29th April 2010, 08:45 PM
How much nicer is that looking, hate the standard ones especially when the zenons are on they look so dull.

Oh are you ok from your wee trip BTW, I presume you tripped up taken the first pic...:lol:

Delboy
29th April 2010, 09:02 PM
Oh are you ok from your wee trip BTW, I presume you tripped up taken the first pic...:lol:

What? Is it not straight? ;)

Delboy
21st May 2010, 08:58 AM
My wife told me this morning that my "new lights flash" when I start the car. Anyone else noticed this with the new LEDs?

stoney
21st May 2010, 09:28 AM
well i just went on fi's link to e bay the price is up to £80 thats no right is it ???? i was going to get my self some but at that price he can stick them where the sun dont shine

Doug_m
21st May 2010, 10:08 AM
My wife told me this morning that my "new lights flash" when I start the car. Anyone else noticed this with the new LEDs?

Also noticed this with mine. It's just on start up and that's with the lights switched off.
old LEDs flash constant so it's a slight improvement lol

and holy crap, link does say £80
mine were £14ish if I remember right

Delboy
21st May 2010, 10:09 AM
well i just went on fi's link to e bay the price is up to £80 thats no right is it ???? i was going to get my self some but at that price he can stick them where the sun dont shine

:eek: What's going on there :confused:. Weird as they were £13.99 before! I'd send the seller a message and ask them - it must be a mistake.

Delboy
21st May 2010, 10:11 AM
Also noticed this with mine. It's just on start up and that's with the lights switched off.
old LEDs flash constant so it's a slight improvement lol

Thanks - I'm not alone then! As you say, at least they stop.

GCA3N
21st May 2010, 10:11 AM

Do you not turn them off anyway del when you stop the car. Like others have said too its better than they used to be. I will check mine when I get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delboy
21st May 2010, 10:13 AM
Do you not turn them off anyway del when you stop the car. Like others have said too its better than they used to be. I will check mine when I get back.

Yeah, they're turned off but they still flash when you start up. No big issue I don't suppose, just wondered if others experienced the same.

Forbes
21st May 2010, 12:40 PM
My LED halo rings do the same for 10seconds or something

Fartin Martin
21st May 2010, 01:23 PM
I've got led's that turn on when i open the car..done this in both my minis and they're different brands i'm sure :confused:..been no problems though :D

bry_mini
21st May 2010, 04:10 PM
mine come on when the car is opend but get brighter when i turn them on, also stay on for a bit when car is turned off and locked!

T5LLC
27th May 2010, 08:14 PM
Me and Emma put they bulbs in ours and they kinda flicker for a bit then go off.. just watch BMW tend to change them back to normal if you dont say as they through up a warning on the computer as there not BMW bulbs... they changed mines twice after finally getting the hint when i kept writting on the work sheet not to change them :lol:

Scottie
17th June 2010, 10:01 PM
Allan fitted the side led bulbs to me 2010 Clubman today. Here is the thing... the bulb holder on our 10 plate is so much better than what was on our 08 plate. A much tighter gripper fit.

On the 08 they were so loose could have fallen out the bulb holder without to much effort.

GCA3N
17th June 2010, 10:38 PM
Allan fitted the side led bulbs to me 2010 Clubman today. Here is the thing... the bulb holder on our 10 plate is so much better than what was on our 08 plate. A much tighter gripper fit.

On the 08 they were so loose could have fallen out the bulb holder without to much effort.

Agree there I wouldn't be surprised if mine fell out.

Scottie
17th June 2010, 10:43 PM
yeah actually between a 08 plate and a 10 plate Mini have made a few wee tweaks as we have found out going round the car today small things like the holders and the cup rings centre console they have change the way these are clipped in.

Delboy
18th June 2010, 09:07 AM
Agree there I wouldn't be surprised if mine fell out.

Ditto.

Scottie
6th October 2010, 09:06 PM
ordering my led reg plate bulbs from Mike tomorrow will post pics once fitted hopefully maybe some led puddle bulbs aswell

N16SHP
7th October 2010, 12:08 PM
ordering my led reg plate bulbs from Mike tomorrow will post pics once fitted hopefully maybe some led puddle bulbs aswell

OO, very much looking forward to seeing these! As said before, what i've wanted for ages!

cooperchris
7th October 2010, 07:30 PM
I put these into my cooper while it was getting all its new parts an a lick of paint, They look alot better than the norm :yes nod:

I think it lights the plate up alot more.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/grumbaw/mini%20cooper/23062010142.jpg

The pic is from my phone an doesn't show the lights up to well, Looks much better in the flesh :thumbs up:

Scottie
7th October 2010, 08:13 PM
look good on your car.

Ordered the bulbs today should be with me tomorrow and Allan is going to fit them for me tomorrow. Think it should add a wee bit something as I like the bum on the Clubbie and the wee bit for the number plate.

GCA3N
8th October 2010, 06:02 AM
I put these into my cooper while it was getting all its new parts an a lick of paint, They look alot better than the norm :yes nod:

I think it lights the plate up alot more.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/grumbaw/mini%20cooper/23062010142.jpg

The pic is from my phone an doesn't show the lights up to well, Looks much better in the flesh :thumbs up:

Looks good:thumbs up:

mikeythemini
8th October 2010, 02:49 PM
We have discovered today (thanks to Alan) that the clubman uses different reg plate bulbs than the hatch. New ones on the way Fi

Scottie
8th October 2010, 05:53 PM
Ta sending the others back.