PDA

View Full Version : Aerial screw thread size

AndyP & Lenore
23rd April 2010, 06:21 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

We bought a new aerial for our blue MINI. Same aerial that Craig has on his MINI:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/cadbed12/IMG_0015.jpg

However, the screw thread size is smaller than on our Blue MINI. We wondered if the R56 had a larger screw thread than the R53. However, MINI Ecosse (Stephen) also bought one for his R56 JCW and his fits. So I called champion MINI Guru David at JC's (poor wee fellah is still on his holypops but he still looked into it and called me back - top man!!). It seems there are two screw thread options for a MINI.... 5mm and 6mm. The aerial comes with a 5mm thread, so I can only assume our car has a 6mm thread. I know, assumptions are the mother of all f***ups. Our car has a sat nav, so I'm wondering if cars with a sat nav have a 6mm thread, and cars without have a 5mm thread.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

And does anyone know where we can get hold of a 6mm to 5mm thread converter? If such a thing exists?

If we can get to the bottom of this, I'll buy another aerial. Gave the last one away to a wee lad on the Mothership run. Well, he got all excited when he saw it and I had no use for it at the time.

A.:D

Scottie
23rd April 2010, 06:29 PM
I'll check what size mines is tonight as Allan will be doing a couple of jobs on my car the night,

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 06:31 PM
I'll check what size mines is tonight as Allan will be doing a couple of jobs on my car the night,

i bought one today fitted fine on mine.

stoney
23rd April 2010, 06:59 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

If we can get to the bottom of this, I'll buy another aerial. Gave the last one away to a wee lad on the Mothership run. Well, he got all excited when he saw it and I had no use for it at the time.

and it was much appreciated thanx Mr and Mrs p :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Scottie
23rd April 2010, 07:37 PM
Mines is also 5mm

found this on the Lohen site it seems to depend on what set up you have . hope it helps.

"Alta Short & Super Short Radio Antennas (Gen2)
Details

With a height of only 2 or 4 inches, these billet aluminium antennas are a perfect way to give your Gen.2 MINI that subtle look. Click here for Gen.1. They achieve a great reception and they just screw right into place. All antennas are anodised black finish. Click details for a larger image.

Wide based versions of the antennas suit MINIs with built in sat-nav and/or DAB Radio and/or Bluetooth Prep out of the factory or MINIs up to and including 58 plate. Please select this option if your MINI has either of these. If your MINI has none of these select the narrow based version.
If yours is a 09 plate with factory bluetooth, you will need a Gen1 antenna.

Mini Ecosse
23rd April 2010, 08:28 PM
So what you really need is an adaptor from 5mm to 6mm?

Stewart
23rd April 2010, 09:00 PM
I just bought one, so the thinking is the R56's are ok if not I'll blame Mr Allan.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd April 2010, 09:02 PM
So what you really need is an adaptor from 5mm to 6mm?

Yeah, been trying to find one, but no luck so far.:confused:

Forbes
23rd April 2010, 09:24 PM
Can the thread come off? As I don't think youll get anything to make it 0.5mm bigger either side

Gismo
23rd April 2010, 09:34 PM
Also, dodn't forget it has to carry the signal through it, so, a simple x-over will not work

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 09:41 PM
Can the thread come off? As I don't think youll get anything to make it 0.5mm bigger either side

I bought it thinking it was a female on the aerial side turns out it's a male that is fixed and won't come off. Think andy is going to struggle here.

Scottie
23rd April 2010, 10:20 PM
I took my aerial off tonight to measure it to make sure before I placed an order now I've gone a lost my bl00dy aerial no idea where I put it down.:blush:

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 10:24 PM
I took my aerial off tonight to measure it to make sure before I placed an order now I've gone a lost my bl00dy aerial no idea where I put it down.:blush:

That's an age thing lol, well guess you'll need to get one now.

Scottie
23rd April 2010, 10:28 PM
That's an age thing lol, well guess you'll need to get one now.

I'm just hoping my new pup has not swallowed the dam thing cause it will be a long sore thing to pass. LOL:rolleyes::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin: mind you it would be poking out either end if he had.

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 10:39 PM
I'm just hoping my new pup has not swallowed the dam thing cause it will be a long sore thing to pass. LOL:rolleyes::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin: mind you it would be poking out either end if he had.

oh dear.

Stewart
23rd April 2010, 11:21 PM

I was just thinking reading that its prob longer than the pup:smilewinkgrin:

Mini Ecosse
24th April 2010, 06:26 AM
Yeah, been trying to find one, but no luck so far.:confused:

Mmmm will put the maint team onto this little problem next week at work.

stoney
24th April 2010, 09:16 AM
Gave the last one away to a wee lad on the Mothership run. Well, he got all excited when he saw it and I had no use for it at the time.

since when was i a wee lad ill give you wee lad cheaky bugger :lol:

N16SHP
24th April 2010, 06:01 PM
What is the reception like on some of these smaller ariels? I really like the shark ones that BMW have, but not convinced they are gonna be great. I listen to a lot of MW to listen to 5LiveSport and TalkSport and they seem to be the first to suffer.