PDA

View Full Version : Signature Sizes

Gismo
23rd April 2010, 01:56 PM
I've noticed over the past wee while that some signature pictures are exceeding the forum standard of 500 x 100 pixels, including mine :blush:
So, it really doesn't bother me too much, but, what do you folks think, is your viewing pleasure being ruined by overly large signatures, is everything ok, do you want the allowable size increased etc.

Am not gonna start a poll on this, just add your comments

Craig
23rd April 2010, 02:12 PM
I think everyone that has a sig outside if the guidelines should be fined £10 and the mods get a great night out on it !!!! ;)

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 02:35 PM
I've noticed over the past wee while that some signature pictures are exceeding the forum standard of 500 x 100 pixels, including mine :blush:
So, it really doesn't bother me too much, but, what do you folks think, is your viewing pleasure being ruined by overly large signatures, is everything ok, do you want the allowable size increased etc.

Am not gonna start a poll on this, just add your comments

Obviously everyone has their own thoughts on this but as probably one of the culprits :blush: I don't think it is an issue. I like a good sig pic and like seeing others without having to sit 2 inches from the screen. Anyway that's my thoughts.

Delboy
23rd April 2010, 02:54 PM
I like signature pics and enjoy updating mine on a regular basis. The size I have at the moment is, in my opinion, about as big as is ever required (and I'm talking about depth, i.e. the amount of vertical space it takes up on the page) - wider signatures are fine as they do not impact on vertical space.

If, like me, your signature pic is an IMG code linked to a photo on a site like PhotoBucket then I don't think there is a limit on size so some restraint is required from the User in question :thumbs up:.

Gismo
23rd April 2010, 03:02 PM
Just to point folks in the right direction here, linking to pics elsewhere or using bandwidth is not an issue, we have plenty scope on the servers for NMS, it's more a visual thing, i know some places that the members complain due to the heavy scrolling to read posts.

The Dogfather
23rd April 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm going to be in opposition here, I think the existing limit is correct maybe a little generous.

Viewing on a 13" Macbook most of the time, I find that I'm scrolling a lot more recently but this maybe down to VB4 though

The Dogfather
23rd April 2010, 03:07 PM
Actually I've just tried it without sigs (you can switch them off) and it makes very little difference.

Bazthemod
23rd April 2010, 03:16 PM
I think they should all be a standard size whatever that is decided to be..... but thats just my OCD the ranges in size annoys me and keeps me up at night lol

Colin
23rd April 2010, 03:38 PM
I think a limit on vertical size, keeps it neat and tidy :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
23rd April 2010, 04:54 PM
Actually I've just tried it without sigs (you can switch them off) and it makes very little difference.

Which again, could be VB4.

A.

stoney
23rd April 2010, 04:55 PM
i think some of them are getting a bit big i think a limit would be better as some just take up a lot of room

AndyP & Lenore
23rd April 2010, 04:58 PM
I think the width isn't too important as most folk are viewing with a minimum of 1024 pixels width these days. However, I still wouldn't want anything longer than 600 or 700 pixels.

I think the 100 pixels height is actually very difficult to keep to and still get a decent image of your car in. However, I still wouldn't want anything bigger than 150 or 200.

You also need to remember quite a few folk browse the forums with more than just a PC these days... I probably use my iPhone more than a PC some days. If sigs got too big I would need to switch them off which defeats the object of the sig.

A.

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 05:10 PM
Andy the tapatalk app for the iphone actually has no sig pics when viewing threads.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd April 2010, 05:59 PM
Andy the tapatalk app for the iphone actually has no sig pics when viewing threads.

Yeah, I keep forgetting to use the app. I think when I'm in an area with no wifi or 3G I'll probably use tapatalk. But for the most part, I prefer full browsing properly.

A.

Scottie
23rd April 2010, 06:06 PM
I think the length is fine some times the depth is a pain in the neck but only on threads where there is many replies as we don't have to many of them I don't really see it as a issue.

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 06:37 PM
Maybe rather than a hard and fast rule the moderators could have a quiet word with anyone's that need to be reduced slighly.....oh is that a PM from Andy? lol

AndyP & Lenore
23rd April 2010, 06:41 PM
Maybe rather than a hard and fast rule the moderators could have a quiet word with anyone's that need to be reduced slighly.....oh is that a PM from Andy? lol

PMSL.:laugh:

Guess how this thread came about.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

I noticed some of the sigs were getting a tad big (inc yours Greig) and raised the issue on our top secret Moderators forum. Alan then raised the subject here.:thumbs up:

Admittedly, my own sig is a tad oversize on length, but keeps to the 100pixels high. Besides, what man wouldn't want a bit more length than they're entitled to.:laugh:

A.:D

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 06:43 PM
had my suspicions, i actually reduced mine when I saw the thread I thought oops. I was mucking about with it before I realised, do you want it any smaller?.....said the bishop to the actress.

Gismo
23rd April 2010, 09:31 PM
I honestly don't mind, looks ok for me on my home PC

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 09:43 PM
I honestly don't mind, looks ok for me on my home PC
Cool.