PDA

View Full Version : SHOWROOM CONVERTIBLE PHOTOS

ny152
26th June 2004, 07:27 PM
Took a trip to the local MINI dealership this morning in the pouring rain with a digital camera to get some photos for people to have a closer look at:

www.fotki.com/nysavant/convertible

Also have the official brochure and price list so if anyone wants more info on options, etc then just ask.

Thanks to Fairbairns MINI Glasgow for the use of their showroom :).

seany
26th June 2004, 07:40 PM
went to my dealer today aswell, dont like the convertible.

Gismo
26th June 2004, 07:42 PM
For some reason that site violates my employer's rules on internet access :(

3GGG
26th June 2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the excellent photos. The only car i like the look of is the blue one, the softtop blends in better with that particular colour, the others make it look too much like a pram with the hood up.

Smurf
26th June 2004, 11:24 PM
We were at Henry Bros this morning too. Good weather to launch a convertible !!

Thought the cars were nice, but still prefer a MINI with a roof......

Got some good ideas for the next one though !!

weefossy
27th June 2004, 12:00 AM
Went to Dunedin this morning and spent a lot of money, so i'm back in the "dark room". We didn't like the blue or purple when we saw it, so agreed with Sioban, the ultimate compromise........all black S convertible with body kit and beige leather. 4 spots and all the other goodies. Sorry, Julz couldn't get red interior and Santa will have to bring the works kit!!
While I'm on, Neil is fitting his ice, can anyone suggest the best way to run a power cable (positive) from the battery to the boot??

Mini Cruiser
27th June 2004, 12:20 AM
what was bmw thinking when they made the inside door handle so much bigger? u can get anything in the pocket!

seany
27th June 2004, 12:24 AM
the front lights are better, but i dont now if it would be better in the dark.

ny152
27th June 2004, 12:49 AM
First thoughts after having a good look round the convertible:
- Like it better than I thought I would but still prefer the hard top.
- Dash looks smoother now that the passenger airbag has been moved up a bit.
- Front bumper looks better with new chrome bits round foglights, but with non xenon headlamps the lights look a bit unfinished.
- Back bumper with thin chrome strip looks good, think the lights are better as well, more expensive looking.
- Chrome interior, hmmm maybe a bit too bling bling.
- New interior coin holder and pocket in front of lighter socket very good. So is the larger rear cup holder.
- Cool blue is a very nice addition to the colour line up (BLUEMINI ??) but not so keen on hot orange.
- Same colour interior as body colour looks a bit garish, but only saw that on hot orange.
- New alloy wheel designs are pretty decent.
- Roof feels solid when up, but when its down the gaps at the rear three quarters points look a bit big.
- Rear window is more like looking through a letterbox its so small.

No matter what everyone thinks the convertible is sure to be a good seller for MINI. Dont think I would buy one myself, but then again I dont really fancy the idea of a convertible in the first place. What it does for all us hard top fans is give a peek at what we can expect to see soon across the entire range, and on the whole things seem to be looking good :).

ny152
27th June 2004, 12:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

For some reason that site violates my employer's rules on internet access :(

Think that might be due to the 'adult' nature of some albums on it (not mine though :I).

Heather
27th June 2004, 02:42 AM
checked out the blue one on the forecourt. Not my cup of tea.

seany
27th June 2004, 02:42 AM
but Allen you can already get it across the entire range, Weefossy has just ordered a cooper s.

Steve74
27th June 2004, 06:40 PM
I have to say that the only way I think the convertible will look cool is in all black, like Crockett and Tubbs Ferrari in Miami vice... Otherwise I couldn't see myself driving one, but it seems like a sensible step for Mini. The car really needs to be an S though as the Cooper convertible looks a bit weedy...

minidriver#1
27th June 2004, 08:24 PM
good pics. i'm gonna go to JC's to see if they got the brochures in.

ny152
27th June 2004, 08:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by seany

but Allen you can already get it across the entire range, Weefossy has just ordered a cooper s.

Yes, I know its available on the entire range but its the firs time I've seen it on a MINI. Not usually a fan of blue cars, but this one could convert me. The more I look at the Hot Orange though, the more I dont like it.

Did anyone else order a convertible yesterday apart from weefossy?

seany
27th June 2004, 09:07 PM
no

Bazthemod
27th June 2004, 09:30 PM
Well we've just had a test drive and must say it has the wow effect! no noticeable drop in handling, wind noise is VERY low better than the 3 series bmw which was shocking! :eek: Loving the facelift features but theres one thing spoiling it a tad ..... its sluggish and noticably sluggish :( but mum seems to think she can live with that if she gets one in Hyper Blue :D:cool:

So overall brilliant just a tad dissapointing;)

lightbody
28th June 2004, 01:41 AM
Went to see it at Harry Fairbairn's this afternoon - they had 3 or 4.

Am VERY impressed, far more than i thought i'd be. It doesn't feel 'chopped', just nicely designed. Also due to the verticalness of the windscreen, the sky is above the drivers head - far better than, say, a 206CC.

The chrome interior is awful though - completely over the top!

Funny thing was how much more attention it was getting than the 3 series convertible and Z4 which were alongside.

phantom
28th June 2004, 03:09 AM
Looks alright with hood down but not with hood up, Na! not for me.

Julz
28th June 2004, 06:24 AM
Mmmmmmm, me like!! JC's had one in purple, and I'm told I'd be allowed purple! Quite girlie I think, and I like the big chunky 17" wheels!! Hmmm, purple convertible with Zeemax kit and BBR conversion!!:D:D

Vosh
28th June 2004, 06:39 AM
I saw one today on the road, a silver one, almost drove into the back of a car looking at it. Don't like it too much.

3GGG
28th June 2004, 06:55 AM
Saw a silver one in an Edinburgh car park this evening, so some people have been quick off the mark right enough.

shoppie
28th June 2004, 07:22 AM
Mmmmm. Drove the Red One at JC's today.
Quite impressed with the look when the hood is down. Not too much wind noise. Much much slower than mine but then again with only 125 miles on it, it will be tight!

Liked it but wouldn't want one!

Thinking "S" (with a roof) in November!

Big Col
28th June 2004, 03:57 PM
I actually really like it. I didn't really expect to. I agree the crome interiour is a bit too blingin'. Would be spot on for our resident big pimpin' WillieM. Still don't like the 3 spoke wheel much.

Big Gordy
28th June 2004, 04:11 PM
Went to see them yesterday :D Thought I would like the orange colour but didn't :dead: Purple/blue colour was nice :) Looks a bit gloomy in the back with the hood up as the side windows are tiny :eek:
They had a lovely all yellow 'S' in the showroom - mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I was more interested in the line up of 'S'es they had outside 8) 2 indi blues, one dark green and one white with black viper stripes and body coloured arches - very nice :D Not so nice the price - nearly 22 grand - eeeeeeeeeeeeek :dead: :p:D:approve:

Burple
28th June 2004, 07:38 PM
Went for a test drive with Zimbo on saturday..
Shame we couldn't get the roof down...

But I'll be going back for another shot when it's sunny!
Car feels very solid with the roof up, surprisingly little shakes and rolls, and very little road noise too considering!

And it was a cool blue one with all blue leather. very nice!!
Not tempted, but very nice!!!!:D

Wul
28th June 2004, 08:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy
While I'm on, Neil is fitting his ice, can anyone suggest the best way to run a power cable (positive) from the battery to the boot??

There is a thread in the FAQ's on MINI2 for this problem - if I remember right it meant feeding the cable through a rubber grommit in the bulkhead which comes out behind the dash in the drivers side - it means taking out a fair bit of dash too! I'm sure LnL or KJ can enlighten you how they powered their amps.

Or you could email mikeythemini - nice helpful guy that he is :)

zimbo
28th June 2004, 10:13 PM
Yeh its alright, but i wont be getting one anytime soon... JCs have got a red one with red dash and a new 'cool blue' cooper with colour coded dash as well, went out in the cooper even tho it was bucketing down!!! feels very solid, gear box felt a lot better and smoother than mine!! hardly any road noise, The one HUGE down side was the visibility, that is shocking:eek: it is like looking through a very small letter box, interior mirror was shaking like mad too!! But I must admit we certainly got some looks while out in it:D

Well weefossy I hope you enjoy your car once it finally arrives, sounds like a pretty good spec, all black mmmmmmmm.... So you'll officially be the first NMS members to have a convertible I think?

Burple
29th June 2004, 12:46 AM
quote:
There is a thread in the FAQ's on MINI2 for this problem - if I remember right it meant feeding the cable through a rubber grommit in the bulkhead which comes out behind the dash in the drivers side - it means taking out a fair bit of dash too! I'm sure LnL or KJ can enlighten you how they powered their amps.
Or you could email mikeythemini - nice helpful guy that he is :)

Malcolm...
Yeah, Wul is right.. there's a very helpful bit in the FAQ on Mini2 about dong just this. written by a guy named Dom I think. Do a wee search for it.. Nice easy instructions with pics. That's what I used for putting mine in (and KJ's). it didn't take long, the worst bit was cutting the hole in the grommet and trying to get the %££%"^"*" cable thru it!! ;);). After that, it's quite simple to run the cable through, depending on if you want to run it just under the back seat, or behind the rear panel...
You don't have to take any of the dash out at all, but you do need to be able to bend against nature's will to get to the grommet up behind the sterring wheel!;);).
THen to earth it, push the cable under the panel at the side in the boot, pop out the wee removable panel and use a bolt in there to Earth. Job done. Easy-Peasy! :D:D
If you need any more info, chuck me a wee Email :D

weefossy
30th June 2004, 06:19 AM
L n L and Wul thanks for that. We got it though OK and used the earth as you suggested. Neil has got the head unit, multi changer, new 6x9s and two amps fitted. We just need to build the sound box for the 2x 12 inch subs and then fit the play station. Hopefully it will be done by Saturday!

Sioban's not convinced it will make Neil Sedaka sound any different!

Scottie
30th June 2004, 07:39 PM
went to see the new mini well we have changed our mind and will not be getting the S version.

Look's nice but a lot of small things just not good enough.