PDA

View Full Version : Gutless car....

zimbo
20th April 2010, 05:46 PM
My car was in for a brake fluid service on Monday and I got a '10' plate cooper in the exact same colours as my car except it had Viper stripes and was a petrol engined.

Boy was it gutless!!! :argh: all I can say is is that I was SO GLAD to get my 'D' back... :Whistle: looks there NO going back to a non turbod small engined vehicle for me :rolleyes:

The best thing about that car was the really smooth gearbox and the silky smooth gear changes, but other than that :idunno:

Stewart
20th April 2010, 06:32 PM
I took the Dooper clubman out as I had read it was similar to the S without the drawbacks, then I took out an S and to me I felt the S was better and livelier but I love the MPG of the Dooper.

KenL
20th April 2010, 07:27 PM
You will be used to driving your diesel in a lazy manner. The petrol Cooper is faster through the gears but the much larger torque of the diesel will give better in gear shove.

I've driven quite a few diesel cars and never really been happy with the way they drive, but perhaps that is because I was not driving them in the correct manner.

I'm not sure the Cooper owners on here will thank you for remarking that their pride and joy is gutless!

AndyP & Lenore
20th April 2010, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure the Cooper owners on here will thank you for remarking that their pride and joy is gutless!

I'm pretty sure most folk on here are sensible enough to know Zimbo wasn't talking about "their" pride and joy, but the Cooper he had driven.:rolleyes:

When I took a Cooper out on a test drive a year or so ago, I found it gutless also. I've no doubt once you've had one a while and are used to how to push it's buttons to get the best out of it, it is a nippy car.

A.:D

KenL
20th April 2010, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure most folk on here are sensible enough to know Zimbo wasn't talking about "their" pride and joy, but the Cooper he had driven.:rolleyes:

Why would that one be any different to the one I used to own and love? :hand:

ianking
20th April 2010, 08:42 PM
Sarah and I have both had cooper cars in the past, both R50, R52 and R56. We used to think they went well, and they do go well round the bends.
However we have been used to Ss and JCW for some time now and when I got a Cooper as a courtesy car the other week we both found it really hard work. Got worse mpg than my JCW as I had to floor it all the time to get it moving.

My neighbour has a Dooper as has one of my mates and after driving them several times I think they go much better than the petrol car.

ianking
20th April 2010, 08:51 PM
Just thinking about this actually.

I wouldnt say the Cooper is gutless, just it needs to be worked much harder than what I have become used to.

My brothers 1.2 16v Corsa however is a really gutless car, but then thats a good thing for a daft 17 year old lad.

euan
20th April 2010, 08:52 PM
My neighbour had a Dooper, you always knew when he was leaving the house - sounded like a tractor!

I always loved my Cooper, but always hankered after an S and after a 3 hour test drive that was that - it gave me the power I wanted with the same handling. Interestingly, I drove my Mum's Cooper the other week, and it went much better than I recalled my one did, maybe it's just that you get used to a certain drive.

AndyP & Lenore
20th April 2010, 08:52 PM
Why would that one be any different to the one I used to own and love? :hand:

Could be any reason... perhaps that car was faulty:hand:. Where's Zimbo's frame of reference?

My point is why would anyone get upset because Zimbo didn't like his Cooper? Why would others get upset because he didn't like that Cooper and expressed that on here? Surely everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Lenore and I get regular comments from folk about how they don't like auto gearboxes, but we don't take offence to it. Crikey, if we did I'd never speak to Rob Stone again.:laugh:

GCA3N
20th April 2010, 09:00 PM
I got a dooper for a courtesy car last month and found it very good in fact I would seriously consider one in the future. They actually had a black one with the full jcw kit and 18" wheels at harry Fairbairn's but at 6 months old I felt 21k was abit steep.

ianking
20th April 2010, 09:04 PM
?
Lenore and I get regular comments from folk about how they don't like auto gearboxes, but we don't take offence to it.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/miniauto.jpg

Scottie
20th April 2010, 09:05 PM
well being the only member on here that has owned and driven all of them old and new style but not a Mini One or the Clubman body I find the power in Cooper makes it more of pleasure and easier to plant the power at the right moments no doubt I am not high up in driving abilities to that of other members. However if we were to debate the different merits of each model along side the driving abilities of the driver then I think that would be a more worthwhile debate.

ianking
20th April 2010, 09:08 PM
Fi
Ive driven almost all the mini varients one, oneD, cooper, S, Sjcw, GP, new one, new cooper, new S, new JCW although Ive not owned all the varients. (not driven a mini first though)

Scottie
20th April 2010, 09:10 PM
Fi
Ive driven all the mini varients (except a mini first) although Ive not owned all the varients.

Yeh but that was your driving Ian put you beside say John him in my Cooper you in your S mix some twistie in to and who would win

ianking
20th April 2010, 09:12 PM
Of course he would win, he has a racing licence, or used to own a racing licence anyway.

Delboy
20th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Each to their own :thumbs up:.

There is no doubt that diesel and petrol cars have different characteristics - diesel being very torquey and low revving while petrols tend to be less torquey and higher revving, hence you can drive a diesel quickly without apparently stressing the engine whereas you have to work the engine a bit more in a petrol for similar performace. The exception, of course, is a supercharged or turbo petrol which is endowed with far more torque (as well as power) than its normally aspirated cousin and can feel more relaxed (like a diesel) when accelerating in higher gears. However, the supercharged or turbo petrol car can keep up this performance at high revs when the poor diesel has long since run out of puff.

I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs, aren't I? :blush: ..........ok, I'm off :rolleyes:.

AndyP & Lenore
20th April 2010, 10:21 PM
Lenore and I get regular comments from folk about how they don't like auto gearboxes, but we don't take offence to it. Crikey, if we did I'd never speak to Rob Stone again.:laugh:

For you, we'll make an exception.:moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
20th April 2010, 10:21 PM
Each to their own ...

.........I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs, aren't I? :blush: ..........ok, I'm off :rolleyes:.

PMSL.:laugh:

stoney
20th April 2010, 10:23 PM
Could be any reason... perhaps that car was faulty:hand:. Where's Zimbo's frame of reference?

My point is why would anyone get upset because Zimbo didn't like his Cooper? Why would others get upset because he didn't like that Cooper and expressed that on here? Surely everyone is entitled to an opinion.

i never said i did not like the ato box i just said its slow :lol: just cos i know it winds u up a little bit and before any one starts i know there not slow these days but they used to be

stoney
20th April 2010, 10:29 PM
but i have driven lot of the minis and find if you drive an s then jup in to a drooper then the drooper feels gutless i drove my mom 2l tdi A3 all weekend and loved it but compare that to my s and it felt gutless im not saying thats its a bad car tho nice to drive and fantastic on the MPG

Sheilz
20th April 2010, 11:09 PM
I've just spent the last fifteen minutes counselling Dougall :sad: He says "I am not gutless. I'm a brave feisty wee boy always up for a challenge"

I think he's a bit sensitive at the moment. First somebody described him as "a cheap runaround" and now "gutless". Poor wee soul. This is going to need an awful lot of petrol to restore his self-esteem. I think the guilty parties should contribute to the 'get well Dougall fund'.

Ssshh! But he is a wee bit harder work than specy was to get going, might be something to do with being a wee bit heavier (He is not fat!!) but once he gets going he's just grand. Saahhh!

He's just as much fun on the twisties as specy was, "Aren't you Dougall?"

Stewart
21st April 2010, 10:05 AM
"a cheap runaround"

The cheek of it

zimbo
21st April 2010, 10:25 AM
**zimbo opens the door to this room walks in and has a look through to see whats going on, suddenly realises he has opened up a can of worms of sorts, and thinks to himself "Ohhh CRAP!!!" what have I done then quietly shuffles backwards towards the door, goes out slams the door shut and runs for it....**

It's just like any other vehicle you drive, you get used to how it works or how to work it to the way you like it to be, and with me having had my dooper for 2 years now I am used to it and loving it, loving the fact that it has the sport button and can usually leave it any gear and accelerate and get some ooomph out of it without having to change down gears all the time which by my account also helps to save the gearbox and clutch in the long term which is a bonus :D and the throttle response is instant, BUT the throttle in the Cooper I had a shot of had a delayed reaction every time you accelerated after backing off of it previously which after a few minutes of being in it started bugging me... (and I dont mean ALL Coopers are like this, may just be a problem with this one, I DONT KNOW!!) but I didn't like it.

Hope this post doesn't offend anyone driving a Cooper, coz It's not meant to, its just my reaction to the particular vehicle I had a loan of and my interpretation of it, thats all.... :yes nod:

**zimbo now runs out of the forum, just in case...**

Stewart
21st April 2010, 10:36 AM
Just apologise to Dougall :smilewinkgrin:

I too have the magic sport button, in fact I did not really appreciate it till I did a few Mini runs. On the Twilight Run I forgot a few times to put it back on when I had got back in the car and before I remembered the first time I was thinking “What wrong with the car it feels all wrong”

Driving about Glasgow it was never on, but finally noticed the difference on the run.

Burple
21st April 2010, 10:38 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

GCA3N
21st April 2010, 11:05 AM
Brilliant zimbo.

LightningStevie
21st April 2010, 12:26 PM
Aww poor dougall! When Murray is up and running, I'm sure he can send some words of comfort to him, about how much worse it could be!

Never driven a dooper, but I would consider one. I've only ever driven a R56 cooper, and personally I find it more than acceptable, especially when you rev the nuts off it. Much faster than my diesel smart (0-60 is 19.8 seconds....)

The best MINI is the one you own :)

Gismo
21st April 2010, 03:11 PM
Just noticed this thread, Zimbo, you're banned :lol:

Sheilz
21st April 2010, 09:44 PM
**zimbo opens the door to this room walks in and has a look through to see whats going on, suddenly realises he has opened up a can of worms of sorts, and thinks to himself "Ohhh CRAP!!!" what have I done then quietly shuffles backwards towards the door, goes out slams the door shut and runs for it....**

It's just like any other vehicle you drive, you get used to how it works or how to work it to the way you like it to be, and with me having had my dooper for 2 years now I am used to it and loving it, loving the fact that it has the sport button and can usually leave it any gear and accelerate and get some ooomph out of it without having to change down gears all the time which by my account also helps to save the gearbox and clutch in the long term which is a bonus :D and the throttle response is instant, BUT the throttle in the Cooper I had a shot of had a delayed reaction every time you accelerated after backing off of it previously which after a few minutes of being in it started bugging me... (and I dont mean ALL Coopers are like this, may just be a problem with this one, I DONT KNOW!!) but I didn't like it.

Hope this post doesn't offend anyone driving a Cooper, coz It's not meant to, its just my reaction to the particular vehicle I had a loan of and my interpretation of it, thats all.... :yes nod:

**zimbo now runs out of the forum, just in case...**

Was not in the slightest bit offended. Dougall's been out having loads of fun this week and is feeling much better so he's not holding any grudges. Think its the bloke who called him a 'cheap runaround' that he's holding out for, preferably on a zebra crossing :laugh::laugh:

Sheilz
21st April 2010, 09:50 PM
"a cheap runaround"

The cheek of it

I almost choked on ma tea when I read that :ragin: I dont find him the slightest bit cheap to run around anywhere in :sad: but I suppose its all relative :idunno:

Ally S
11th May 2010, 01:10 PM
I went from a 112bhp turbo diesel to a cooper and I initially thought it was slow. Then I found the 4k rev mark and was suitably impressed.