PDA

View Full Version : Iceland's Volcano issue

AndyP & Lenore
18th April 2010, 11:33 PM
Anyone caught up in this, other than Aerojonny not being able to get out and finish his training?

We're off to Orlando in 6 weeks. Hope the cloud has bu@@ered off by then.:yes nod:

Health and safety peeps being overprotective? or keeping passengers alive? KLM, Lufhansa, BA and a couple other airlines been up to to see what's what and haven't suffered any problems due to the ash cloud.:idunno:

Discuss...

A.:D

Gismo
18th April 2010, 11:42 PM
I know John was unable to go to Africa for his latest job, no news regarding me going through Paris yet, but then i'm not due away until the 28th

Forbes
18th April 2010, 11:50 PM
I lost out on a Caddy job tomorrow as the player couldn't make it across the pond

The Dogfather
19th April 2010, 06:43 AM
They're probably being over cautious, but I'd rather they did that than risk having jets fall from the sky.

Craig
19th April 2010, 07:28 AM
Spoke with MarkyC yesterday and he was due to fly back from Spain yest but he is still looking at options. He's hoping to get home next weekend !!!! My boss is in gran canaria and is due to fly home today so we will see what he is saying on the email when I get into work ;)

Scottie
19th April 2010, 07:45 AM
Apparently the Government has sent a message to the Icelandic Prime Minister.

It reads: "We said send cash, not ash."

Not to bothered when planes fly again.

GCA3N
19th April 2010, 08:00 AM
I'm due to go offshore on Thursday but there are over a hundred back logged flights so no idea what's going to happen. If there are no flights today which is what they are saying then it's looking like I'm getting some paid time at home.

Sportspack Mark
19th April 2010, 08:08 AM
mum and my sister were supposed to go over to liverpool last thursday to look at the uni, but they got as far as the airport security. So they went shopping instead :lol:

stoney
19th April 2010, 09:03 AM
my mom and dad are ment to go away on the 3rd of may not shure if they are going to make it

Delboy
19th April 2010, 09:14 AM
The situation is incredible and, according to reports this morning, has the potential to continue for weeks :eek:. The impact on the UK (and European) economy could be significant too :frown:.

I'm sure that the authorities are being very cautious but so they should be. It's all very well KLM and whoever else doing test flights and reporting all is well but could you imagine if the authorities gave the go-ahead to commence flights again and a plane fell out of the sky? Doesn't bare thinking about.

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for the folk that didn't get their holiday - that would be gutting - but I for one would rather that than take an unecessary risk.

Mini Ecosse
19th April 2010, 09:32 AM
Pmsl Fi, good one.:thumbs up:

GCA3N
19th April 2010, 09:36 AM
The situation is incredible and, according to reports this morning, has the potential to continue for weeks :eek:. The impact on the UK (and European) economy could be significant too :frown:.

I'm sure that the authorities are being very cautious but so they should be. It's all very well KLM and whoever else doing test flights and reporting all is well but could you imagine if the authorities gave the go-ahead to commence flights again and a plane fell out of the sky? Doesn't bare thinking about.

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for the folk that didn't get their holiday - that would be gutting - but I for one would rather that than take an unecessary risk.

agree del and I worry cos I won't get the choice if I'm asked to fly

euan
19th April 2010, 10:25 AM
I think they are right to be cautious, though they in a difficult position, dammed if they do or don't really.

I do feel sorry for those on holiday and are stuck, but frankly I'd not be going near a plane if there was a risk all the engines could stop!

Big Gordy
19th April 2010, 01:21 PM
agree del and I worry cos I won't get the choice if I'm asked to fly

They will just need to employ a couple of ex-nam helicopter pilots for you off-shore guys that way you won't get high enough for it to affect you:laugh:
Ross is due home on Thursday and he's worried he might not get home and have to stay and work on:rolleyes:

N16SHP
19th April 2010, 01:30 PM
If u read about the last time this volcano errupted, the big one blew not long after! If that's the case, it could cause total chaos in terms of the economy! As far as safety goes, I hate flying at the best of times, so I'd be more than happy stuck in an airport right now!

AeroJonny
19th April 2010, 04:43 PM
I think Del's hit the nail on the head, the airlines are champing at the bit to get flying but if the CAA etc cave to the pressure and a plane drops out the sky who's going to be liable? Personally I'm happy with a safety first stance, I'd rather not end up in what's effectively a heavy glider.

As of this afternoon, there's been an encouraging update from NATS saying that controlled airspace will begin opening tomorrow in stages beginning from scotland and progressing south.

If you want to have a look at regular updates, check www.nats.co.uk

Stoney, I hope your mum and dad can get away on holiday, I'm sure that the weather will have turned by then which will help dissipate the ash.

For the lads on the rigs, I'm not sure what the helicopter companies will be doing, but flying beneath controlled airspace is still an option. The Royal family are still doing low level heli flights, so it can't be that dangerous ;)

AndyP & Lenore
19th April 2010, 08:32 PM
Stopped at Iceland in Gala this morning to get some shopping. Assistant inquired if I wanted any ashback?:laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
19th April 2010, 08:33 PM
I'm voting for the Icelandic Volcano Party. It's done more to stop immigration in the past 5 days than Labour has done in 10 years.:laugh:

Just been outside and got hit on the head with a sausage roll, a party bag, a lemon meringue and a black forest gateaux. Must be the fall out from Iceland.:laugh:

What's the difference between the icelandic volcano and cheryl cole? Hmmm.... on second thoughts perhaps not one for online.

I think I'll hold off on any more volcano jokes until the dust settles.:thumbs up:

N16SHP
19th April 2010, 08:41 PM
I think ur last one is the best Andy ha ha!

GCA3N
19th April 2010, 08:44 PM
Anymore of this andy and I'll blow my top mate lol. Besides the wife is watching corrie(or is it ashes to ashes) and can't hear anything with my eruptions of laughter..... Sorry.

Scottie
19th April 2010, 08:47 PM
Ok,I'll say it,

Q..Whats the difference between the Icelandic volcano and Cheryl Cole?

A.The volcano is still blowing Ash.

AndyP & Lenore
19th April 2010, 09:06 PM
Ok,I'll say it,

Q..Whats the difference between the Icelandic volcano and Cheryl Cole?

A.The volcano is still blowing Ash.

Thats the one I didn't want to post as I thought it was a bit rude for the forums.:frown:

Now you go and wash your mouth out young lady!

GCA3N
19th April 2010, 10:03 PM
Well looks like that's it over for now flying starting again tomorrow provided no major eruptions tonight.

Big Gordy
19th April 2010, 10:18 PM
Junior will be pleased:yes nod:

The Dogfather
19th April 2010, 10:30 PM
Now you go and wash your mouth out young lady!

Shouldn't Cheryl do the same? :hand:

Sheilz
19th April 2010, 10:55 PM
I'd be delighted to be on holiday and not able to get home. Extra days in the sun would be the biz. Bummer though for anyone losing out on holidays. Think the airlines were right to be cautious. Better five mins late in this life than five mins early in the next.

Stewart
19th April 2010, 11:11 PM
"Better five mins late in this life than five mins early in the next."

I like that.....................................

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/trjdfmbtq2jcioo4qbtu98h8h0_11.png

Sorry thinking about new plates as the chepo ones I got have drit in them....at £12 what did I expect:argh:

Craig
20th April 2010, 03:12 PM
My boss is stuck in Gran Canaria... He was in a 3 star self catering place up to Sunday when he got kicked out. Thomas cook have just put him up on a 5 star all inclusive resort free of charge. Let's just say he's in no rush for the flights to be back on !!! :lol:

jude is not a happy camper tho...... Because Falkirk council are 90 teachers down because they haven't returned home yet, she has been sent to a local high school despite her being a primary teacher !! ;)

AndyP & Lenore
20th April 2010, 09:13 PM
So, flights resume from 10pm.

All of a sudden, they've reassessed planes' tolerance to the ash and it seems it's safe to fly through it.:confused:

I just hope we don't wake up in the morning to find the Atlantic or North Sea has acted as a landing strip for a dozen aircraft.:frown:

A.

Craig
20th April 2010, 09:16 PM
it seems to be all down to the density of the ash and the height in the atmosphere it is.... I for one will not be flying again for a while til I know there is no issues.... ;)

Scottie
20th April 2010, 09:48 PM
Thought I saw a plane in the sky tonight but nope it was venus.

Sheilz
20th April 2010, 11:15 PM

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/trjdfmbtq2jcioo4qbtu98h8h0_11.png

Sorry thinking about new plates as the chepo ones I got have drit in them....at £12 what did I expect:argh:

LOL I like that too! Think its pretty appropriate to have on a number plate :thumbs up:

Forbes
20th April 2010, 11:26 PM

Though now illegal

N16SHP
21st April 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm glad you answered my question Ben, I was just sitting thinking, is it not illegal now to have something written under your reg plate. As long as you get creative by saying "better five mins late in this life than five mins early in the next.com" you can try to persuade the bobby that its where you bought the car :D

Forbes
21st April 2010, 09:39 AM
I'm glad you answered my question Ben, I was just sitting thinking, is it not illegal now to have something written under your reg plate. As long as you get creative by saying "better five mins late in this life than five mins early in the next.com" you can try to persuade the bobby that its where you bought the car :D

Yep another technicality if the plate is pre **** your fine after **** your not. I tried before to get text on. Though you could always go the show plate way

Stewart
21st April 2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah I was thinking this will be illegal. I’ve seen a fair few with peoples names on them. I still don’t know if the Saltire is a no no if driving abroad thats why I want the GB badge as well.

I'd have liked my "Stewart Wallace Robertson"

GCA3N
21st April 2010, 10:10 AM
Personally I think that it's daft that you cannot have small text underneath, however and here's the point.... why? I have to say IMO I feel txt under your plate is a wee bit dare I say it sad. I mean the example here is quite funny but I feel that puting your name under your plate looks a bit naff and kinda asking for trouble. Like I say this is my opinion sorry.

Stewart
21st April 2010, 10:28 AM
Just playing with the configuration but I do need new plates as the car can look spotless but the cheap plates have trapped dirt and it lets it down.

Delboy
21st April 2010, 10:53 AM
Stewart - for your reg plate text, how about "my other car's under a pile of volcano ash" (just trying to get back on topic :lol:)

Stewart
21st April 2010, 11:14 AM
It is just now, getting washed today, black roof is brown.

Back on Topic some of the money people have paid to get home, 20k it cost the guy on Talksporrt for hotels and to get him and his family back and that was to Amsterdam only from NewYork.

GCA3N
21st April 2010, 11:52 AM
Stewart have you found evidence of ash on the car. Not to be funny but it seems to me alot dustier than normal. I am not sure that is the weather or not.

AndyP & Lenore
21st April 2010, 07:08 PM
Ours are certainly covered in a grey-ish dusty looking substance. Much more dirty than they would normally be just sitting on the driveway.

Like others have said, rinse very thoroughly before even taking a microfibre wash mit to it. Will probably snow foam it first too. I really don't fancy the idea of scraping even miniature particles of glass and rock across the bodywork.:frown:

A.:frown:

GCA3N
21st April 2010, 07:16 PM
Yeh I jet wash it first anyway but thanks for the heads up.

Delboy
21st April 2010, 07:43 PM
I've also noticed a greater deposit of "dust" on my car than normal :frown:.

zimbo
21st April 2010, 08:00 PM
Just keep driving your cars and the dust wont get a chance to settle on the bodywork then... :lol:

AeroJonny
21st April 2010, 08:11 PM
Went flying today and didn't have any problems with the ash...no worse than a smell of sulphur and low visibility round Gloucester.

AndyP & Lenore
21st April 2010, 08:22 PM
..no worse than a smell of sulphur and low visibility round Gloucester.

How's that different?:laugh:

A. :D

Scottie
21st April 2010, 09:13 PM
Washed my car tonight and there was no sign of any extra dust on the car but my car is garaged over night.

Craig
21st April 2010, 09:20 PM
Went flying today and didn't have any problems with the ash...no worse than a smell of sulphur and low visibility round Gloucester.

Good Stuff Man - hope you get your training finished soon. ;)

Scottie
21st April 2010, 09:31 PM
this is a good site I think. Click on the planes. http://www.flightradar24.com/

SimonC
21st April 2010, 10:39 PM
Mum is currently stuck in Dubai.. She was ment to be back on the Sunday passed, aint comign back until the 29th!

Scottie
21st April 2010, 10:47 PM
found this on autotrader seems like good advice

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2010/04/cars/volcanic-ash-threatens-uk-cars

GCA3N
21st April 2010, 10:50 PM
Well great advice and well found i'm doing most of that already.

Stewart
21st April 2010, 11:31 PM
Washed today with a good foam first then rinse.

Stewart
21st April 2010, 11:34 PM
Stewart have you found evidence of ash on the car. Not to be funny but it seems to me alot dustier than normal. I am not sure that is the weather or not.

Yeah my black roof is brown...or was and has been since we got that rain here in glasgow. But I'd not say gray or anything like that.

N16SHP
22nd April 2010, 11:32 AM
Anyone else in Aberdeen noticed anything on their cars? I've not noticed any difference!

GCA3N
22nd April 2010, 03:05 PM
Another day in the sun lovin this. Still little or no flying to the northern or western isles.

Delboy
22nd April 2010, 03:26 PM
Another day in the sun lovin this. Still little or no flying to the northern or western isles.

Lucky you!

Craig
22nd April 2010, 03:42 PM
MarkyC is on a bus on his way to Calais for a boat just before midnight :( and my boss is hopeful of a flight home tomorrow ;)