PDA

View Full Version : trim looking a wee bit dull

monkimagic
25th June 2004, 11:52 PM
Hi All & Wul ;)

What is the best product to get the black trim looking good again, the wheel arches are looking very bad just now and this needs sorting before Arbroath

Monki :D

macblob
25th June 2004, 11:58 PM
Autoglym bumper and plastic stuff aint bad. Only prob with all the things i tried on black plastic is that it doesnt last very long as it just kind of sits on top of the plastic and doesnt really obsorb into it..........I heard somewhere that baby oil is supposed to be good at getting black trim nice and shiney , but never tried it

monkimagic
26th June 2004, 01:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Autoglym bumper and plastic stuff aint bad. Only prob with all the things i tried on black plastic is that it doesnt last very long as it just kind of sits on top of the plastic and doesnt really obsorb into it..........I heard somewhere that baby oil is supposed to be good at getting black trim nice and shiney , but never tried it

baby oil :question::question:

I need something, as you say to get it looking nice but keeping it nice is a different story

Smurf
26th June 2004, 01:02 AM
I can vouch for the AutoGlym stuff. It gets put on every couple of months or so.

3GGG
26th June 2004, 01:08 AM
Yep, I use the Autoglym stuff as well. I'm sure what I really should be using is Meguire's Special Black Trim Enhancer - available from Wul;)

seany
26th June 2004, 04:06 AM
Gold Class Trim Detailer by Meguiar's, good for the black trim

3GGG
26th June 2004, 05:52 AM
I knew there would be some such stuff Seany - but didn't I see a photo of your car and the trim had turned white? :clown:;)

seany
26th June 2004, 05:56 PM
yes, but i have two, cooper and a cooper s works.

Wul
28th June 2004, 04:25 PM
Looks like everyone has the answers already! I like the Megs stuff (surprise surprise) but read a lot of good reviews on the autoglym stuff too - assuming it's the one that comes out the bottle green! :eek:

Anyway - the trick to this stuff is to apply it sparingly and work it in well with an applicator pad or small sponge - otherwise it will wash of easily and streak in the rain as it's not dried in enough.

Never heard the baby oil one Macblob - bet your hand are nice and soft afterwards too! :D

garywatt
29th June 2004, 07:29 PM
Hi all

I was actually thinking about this at the weekend.

My trim is not too bad. I've got the Autoglm stuff and wasn't too impressed with it. Tried a few things since my last Mini and never really been 100% satisfied.

One of the best stuff I tried was Betterware Plastic and Bumper Shine. It worked great on my Corsa's some years back. Only got an empty bottle left in the shed now.

Cheers

Gary

garywatt
30th June 2004, 03:02 AM
Hi all

Will take it all back........home from work and back with the Autolym and it worked great :D

Must had something to do with the various stuff I had on my last Mini before I started with Autoglym.

Cheers

Gary

weefossy
30th June 2004, 06:32 AM
mmmmmmmm...baby oil:evil: Sioban uses it a lot:I It works a treat on our black slate fireplace:clown:

Big Gordy
30th June 2004, 04:31 PM
I've used Armoral for the last 10 years and its great but I've just started to use a spray that turtlewax make. Can't remember it's name but its in a bright green spray bottle and Halfrauds are doing a buy one get one free on it ;) If you want shiney, apply and leave but if you want matt, apply and leave for 5 mins then buff excess off. Does a good job IMHO :p:D:approve: