PDA

View Full Version : bad tapping/rattaling nosie

stoney
13th April 2010, 06:26 PM
ok just went out in the car and it was fine stoped put petrol in and then on my way back home had this realy bad nosie come from the eng its a tapping/rattleing noise

so dont think it looks to good right now :frown:

Gismo
13th April 2010, 06:39 PM
Have you checked the oil level?

stoney
13th April 2010, 06:42 PM
yep and put some in as was v low but its still there and in not faint it quite loud !!!!!

MrMischief
13th April 2010, 08:15 PM
yep and put some in as was v low but its still there and in not faint it quite loud !!!!!

Ouch :sad:
That doesn't sound promising.

Have you tried the old screwdriver on your ear to try & pinpoint it?

stoney
13th April 2010, 08:55 PM
Ouch :sad:
That doesn't sound promising.

Have you tried the old screwdriver on your ear to try & pinpoint it?

no not done any thing with it it will be going to get looked at 2morow i hope but we will see i have a compleat head sitting in my work shop so hope there will be the parts in that we will just have to see what happens

Craig
13th April 2010, 09:12 PM
Is this a tickover or when the car is under power etc?

Mon the fish
13th April 2010, 09:28 PM
The engine can be tappety when the oil level gets low, and even when you fill it up it can take a while for the oil to get back to the head. I think there can sometimes be a problem with oil getting to the head, causing the noise

stoney
13th April 2010, 10:22 PM
Is this a tickover or when the car is under power etc?

seemed to be at idle

The engine can be tappety when the oil level gets low, and even when you fill it up it can take a while for the oil to get back to the head. I think there can sometimes be a problem with oil getting to the head, causing the noise

have had that tappy nosie when oil has been low but this is a lot louder than before but will hopefully find out more 2 morow luckerly i have a head sitting that i got off e-bay with all the bits in so hopefully wont need any parts

Craig
13th April 2010, 10:41 PM
Just tried to call you Rob.....

This is EXACTLY what mine was in JC's today to get sorted. It's your timing chain tensioner. I got fixed under warranty but the part itself is about £30 I am told. Mine had been happening for about 5 months on and off so I wouldn't worry too much if it has only just started, plus the next time you start the car it may nit even be there ;)

stoney
13th April 2010, 11:05 PM
well if it is that then thats no to bad will see what happens 2morow

audrey
13th April 2010, 11:20 PM
Good luck for tomorrow hope its not too expensive

Scottie
13th April 2010, 11:25 PM
hope it's nothing to do with the petrol. Seems a bit strange that it was fine prior to filling up. How long did you travel before you noticed the noise. Check your petrol receipt for grade of fuel and do not let that slip out your site if it turns out you got the wrong fuel once it's been checked. Might say super on the slip but it could turn out to be different.

stoney
14th April 2010, 06:51 AM
hope it's nothing to do with the petrol. Seems a bit strange that it was fine prior to filling up. How long did you travel before you noticed the noise. Check your petrol receipt for grade of fuel and do not let that slip out your site if it turns out you got the wrong fuel once it's been checked. Might say super on the slip but it could turn out to be different.

it was shell v power and never go a reciept as only put £10 in the now was just going to pick up my new wheel

well lets hope today is better than yesterday

norrie
14th April 2010, 05:36 PM
It wasn't diesel you filled up with was it?

Norrie.

stoney
14th April 2010, 06:21 PM
It wasn't diesel you filled up with was it?

Norrie.

no it was not i know this as a diesel pump will not fit in a petrol cap

but anyway it looks like Craig was right and it was the chain things that have gone so they will be geting re placed 2morow and hopefull will be all nice for fri just hope its not the chain that needs done as its a big job that is

so you all keep your fingers and toes crossed for me that it all fixed 2morow

Craig
14th April 2010, 07:54 PM
Glad thats all it was Rob, should be Ok for you. I have my fingers crossed ;)

stoney
15th April 2010, 04:55 PM
well gutted mini wont be ready at least the A3 is a diesel so wont cost as much

Fartin Martin
26th April 2010, 02:19 PM
i think im getting this too!..although its not too loud..gonna go check the oil just now

toxic frog
9th May 2010, 12:05 PM
Just bought a r53 jcw yesterday and only noticed this morning that it rattles like hell from cold start and goes after a couple of minutes. Is this normal on these cars or is it a sign of something else . also noticed the front vacuum pipe to the jcw airbox is missing , no warning lights and runs fine , should i worry about this ????

regards jools

stoney
9th May 2010, 04:36 PM
Just bought a r53 jcw yesterday and only noticed this morning that it rattles like hell from cold start and goes after a couple of minutes. Is this normal on these cars or is it a sign of something else . also noticed the front vacuum pipe to the jcw airbox is missing , no warning lights and runs fine , should i worry about this ????

regards jools

the tapping/rattle will prob be chain tenchner only about £30 for the parts as for the vac hose if you have deflaped it then it makes no diff as its for opening and closing the flap

stoney
9th May 2010, 04:37 PM
for got to say that was not the prob in the end it was tappet's i think not shure as traded it in

Mon the fish
9th May 2010, 06:36 PM
You should get a warning light (the emission light) if the vacuum pipe is disconnected- I did when I accidentally disconnected it, and the engine definitely wasn't breathing right. Once I reattached it, the light went off

KenL
9th May 2010, 07:29 PM
Amazing how the R53 experiences a problem with the chain tensioner and the R56S have had a similar fault. Especially strange given that the R50 MINI uses a Chrysler designed engine built in Brazil and the R56 a BMW/Peugeot engine built in the UK.

The R56S fault has been around since very early on but I cant recall mkI cars having this problem.

toxic frog
9th May 2010, 08:59 PM
The vacuum pipe is definitately not connected and no warning lights illuminated. Rattling only happens on first cold start of the day so maybe its oil starvation to the head or a lazy hydraulic lifter . performance seems unnaffected by either as car pulls fast and quickly to redline in all 5 gears. seems to hit a bit of a brickwall when in 6th @130 mph (private road :blush:). Manifold .de cat and zorst goin on soon :hand:
regards jools

Craig
9th May 2010, 09:09 PM
Defo sounds like the timing chain tensioner.... I got mine replaced and it cured the prob for about 1000 miles and then came back, but that's prob just my luck !!!:lol: ;)

stoney
10th May 2010, 07:17 AM
The vacuum pipe is definitately not connected and no warning lights illuminated. Rattling only happens on first cold start of the day so maybe its oil starvation to the head or a lazy hydraulic lifter . performance seems unnaffected by either as car pulls fast and quickly to redline in all 5 gears. seems to hit a bit of a brickwall when in 6th @130 mph (private road :blush:). Manifold .de cat and zorst goin on soon :hand:
regards jools

Defo sounds like the timing chain tensioner.... I got mine replaced and it cured the prob for about 1000 miles and then came back, but that's prob just my luck !!!:lol: ;)

yep what he said

and i did the same in my old s with the manifold and zorst and it was very loud :shut up:so just watch what you get there is a good place in falkirk that will do custom zorst for you

toxic frog
10th May 2010, 10:24 AM
yep what he said

and i did the same in my old s with the manifold and zorst and it was very loud :shut up:so just watch what you get there is a good place in falkirk that will do custom zorst for you

cheers mate

toxic frog
10th May 2010, 06:04 PM
No rattle today even from cold so are we still thinking chain tensioner peeps ?

regards jools

stoney
10th May 2010, 06:09 PM
i would say so

No rattle today even from cold so are we still thinking chain tensioner peeps ?

regards jools

toxic frog
10th May 2010, 06:12 PM
Cheers stoney will have it looked at

regards jools