PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Mini Puncture Adventure!!!!!!

gcampbell
25th June 2004, 08:29 PM
Well it's finally happened!!!

Whilst driving to round a corner my tyre pressure warning light came on....

Stopped the car and had a brief look for obvious flat tyre effect... nothing obvious.. (it's actually very difficult to tell by looking which tyre is flat...) so off I went to in search of a garage with an air pump (that worked!!!)

During the drive to the garage, I was completely unaware of any heavy steering or the car pulling to either side under braking... so I thought it must be one of the back tyres.

Checked the rear pressures..ok?
Checked the front....bingo... front right was at 10psi!!!

I pumped all tyres up and reset the indicator and two days later the warning light came on again (I only dove 20 miles during this period)

Had a closer inspection of all tyres and to my horror I had 2 tryes with nails in them... (I've only done 12k miles ...loads of tread left :()

So time to get a price for 2 Good Year 16" tyres...

Tried Farmer Auto Centre in Corstorphine as this was mentioned in forum posting (r u ready for this..)

£350 for two tyres...:eek::eek:I managed to get them down to £312 (free valves) Gee thanks!!

Kwik Fit was best price I could get, with the tyres in stock at £83 each. £170!!!

Run Flats do work....

*Don't trust your eyesight, trust the warning indicator
*If it's a slow puncture like mine, inflate the tyres, reset the warning system and monitor your tyre pressures for a couple of days. (Remember to keep your speed below 50mph!!
* SHOP AROUND FOR TYRE PRICES OR YOU'LL GET RIPPED OFF!

My 1st Mini Puncture Adventure!!!!!!

Smurf
25th June 2004, 09:07 PM
I actually got quite a good price from Henry Bros for two 16" Goodyear Runflats - just over £200 fitted and balanced.

Don't be afraid to ask them, just becuase they are BMW.....

Good price from Kwik Fit though.

sw
25th June 2004, 09:11 PM
Can you get the punctures repaired on the runflat tyres?

CooperTrooper
25th June 2004, 10:18 PM
doubt it, douglas park salesman, told me they dont repair them, but quick fit etc might . .. . . .

ive heard kwik fit mobile have good prices on run flats . .. .

gcampbell
25th June 2004, 10:33 PM
Sorry I don't have a "techie" answer to that. I always thought it was just the sidewalls that were reinforced... a nail in the centre of the tread doesn't interfere with the sidewall of the tyre..

In this instance, every place I phoned refused to repair the tyre because it was a runflat...

The owner's manual says that runflats should not be repaired.

the best "quote" I had was at Farmers... when the tyre guy said...

"No we were advised at the training that it's dangerous to repair a run flat tyre... I don't know why 'coz I fell asleep during the training!"

:eek::eek::eek: At that point I walked out ...! :D

I've had tyres repaired on previous cars no prob as long as the nail wasn't in the sidewall...

Perhaps its an industry conspiracy.... something to do with the tyres being more expensive to replace.... ?

3GGG
25th June 2004, 10:51 PM
I'm sure either Monsta Mo or GAJ had their runflat puncture repaired by some place? - Also some folks have used the tyre weld stuff with success. Thanks for the tip on Kwik-Fit prices though. No, I haven't seen a technical reason why a nail in the tread can't be fixed with a plug, in the same way as a non runflat.

duncan
25th June 2004, 11:02 PM
I had my Dunlop Runflat repaired about 12 months ago, by HiQ in Perth.

I was under the (Probably wrong) impression that Dunlops were repairable, however Goodyears weren't.

GAJ
29th June 2004, 06:46 AM
I had a Goodyear runflat repaired. Everyone tells you different things. Just keep asking more places till you get the answer you want.

However I now have a puncture in my non-runflat! The light came on on Saturday but all tyres seemed fine when I kicked them! so I reset it but now that I have checked the pressures offside rear had lost over 10 PSI and there is a massive nail through it. I'll need to get it fixed before Friday, just hope somewhere local stocks Goodyear F1s in 215/40 17 at a reasonable price if it can't be fixed.

Oh! Happy Days!

Monsta Mo Mini
29th June 2004, 04:11 PM
quote:all tyres seemed fine when I kicked them!

that's the same highly technical and accurate method I use!:D

ELFMAN
29th June 2004, 11:03 PM
It's a complicated business right enough. I was toying with the idea of switching to Minilites (still 16"), and Non-Runflats to get bit more finesse/less unsprung weight, (as the runflats can be a wee bit “wooden” especially in damp/greasy conditions with the torque of the 'S'),but I don't really trust tyre weld. Knowing my luck, I'd be in the middle of nowhere with a flat and dodgy weld.

At least the runflats are very tough with all those sodding potholes etc which would kill a lesser sidewall, and I don't know if a normal 195/55x16 0r 205/45x16 series might feel “wobbly” in comparison.

Anybody got any useful info/ideas on Runflat Vs. 'normal' rubber? I'd be grateful for your input.

GAJ
29th June 2004, 11:41 PM
I got my puncture fixed today! £9.95 which is a lot cheaper than a new tyre.

My experience of switching from runflats to non runflats has been very positive. No wobbliness at all but my tyres are 40s and the ride comfort is at least on a par with the 16" runflats as thier sidewalls are solid!

ELFMAN
30th June 2004, 07:29 PM
Cheers Gaj, food for thought.

What about tyre weld etc if you get a puncture out in the wild? What's your system if that happens? I'm just paranoid about being stuck!

GAJ
30th June 2004, 08:17 PM
Crossed fingers and tyre weld! I have more belief in the crossed fingers though.

And MINI Assist!

Wul
30th June 2004, 09:42 PM
OK - guys here we go again!

Goodyear and Pirelli runflats can be repaired - keep asking places until you get one who will - as the others said they seem to keep changing their minds!
Kwik-Fit mobile have repaired 2 puntures for me - one in a pirelli and one in a goodyear. they also replaced 2 goodyears for circa £170. They change the tyres using levers and make very little damage on the rims.

As for puncture goo - I can highly recommend all of you with or without run-flats to go and get tyresafe put in the tyres £19.99 for all 4 wheels and can plog a puncture up to 6mm! It takes a few days to coat the tyre inside properly and loses the slight judder when pulling away - but after then you'll never know it was there - had it in both my MINI's with no quibbles and i believe mr bonnie scotland had it in his MINI too!

Seafield Coachworks in Edinburgh do it http://www.seafieldcoachworks.co.uk/ 0131 554 2583 :)