PDA

View Full Version : Whew

Gismo
6th April 2010, 05:16 PM
Passed my Florida Driving Test today, very nerve wracking for someone at my age :laugh:
Performing the 3 point turn in the truck wasn't as easy as a car :lol:

Meant to add, you simply turn up and do 2 theory tests and then a simply test route on private ground, some swotting up for the theory test is required to help pass the test.
You're allowed 5 wrong answers out of 20 on each test

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2010, 05:34 PM
And they say you can't teach old dogs new tricks eh...:lol:

How long was the actual driving bit?

A.:D

Gismo
6th April 2010, 05:43 PM
How long was the actual driving bit?

A.:DFrom getting into the car approx 10 mins max

The Dogfather
6th April 2010, 05:45 PM
How often do pensioners have to retake their test in the states?

Gismo
6th April 2010, 05:55 PM
How often do pensioners have to retake their test in the states?Sheesh, this is harded than the actual exam :lol:
Licenses are renewed for everyone after 6 or 8 years, not sure what determines that and folks over 80 must sit a vision test

Craig
6th April 2010, 06:43 PM
well done auld yin. ;) no wonder the driving standards in america are that bad if that is the test...! :thud:

The Dogfather
6th April 2010, 06:46 PM
I wonder if they checked to see if he could see over the steering wheel on that truck....

Yes, I know I'm a short arse as well :p

zimbo
6th April 2010, 08:12 PM
Passed my Florida Driving Test today, very nerve wracking for someone at my age :laugh:
Performing the 3 point turn in the truck wasn't as easy as a car :lol:

Meant to add, you simply turn up and do 2 theory tests and then a simply test route on private ground, some swotting up for the theory test is required to help pass the test.
You're allowed 5 wrong answers out of 20 on each test

Well done you old fud :clap: ...so your Julie didn't even let you borrow the car to go sit your test in huh? :laugh:

AeroJonny
6th April 2010, 09:52 PM
Good work Alan, a bunch of us did our tests in Arizona and out of the group of 8 of us that went, I was 1 of the two who passed! Did it in a 12 seat van, that was great fun during the parallel parking!

When I told the examiner about all the hoops you have to jump through and the money it costs to get a license over here he was stunned!

Gismo
6th April 2010, 10:45 PM
When I told the examiner about all the hoops you have to jump through and the money it costs to get a license over here he was stunned!Same discussion here, $48 US Dollars and approx 1 hour and 15 mins from start to finish from just walking in off the street and i was done

RyanK
7th April 2010, 08:40 AM
Haha awesome! Congrats

stoney
7th April 2010, 08:46 AM
well done carnt belive it was so easy tho

KenL
7th April 2010, 12:43 PM
Congrats!

My Hawaii driving test was a joke to be honest. A simple theory test followed by a quick whiz round the block. No manouevres (can anyone spell that word?) or anything apart from negotiating a 4-way stop.

There was an old bloke in front of my at the eye test machine and the woman testing him was saying stuff like "would you like another try" when he obviously was not seeing what he was meant to be.

Gismo
7th April 2010, 02:02 PM
It's a bit weird knowing that i can drive to the test centre on my UK License and massive insurance premium then could have potentially failed and still been able to drive away again :lol:

KenL
7th April 2010, 02:46 PM
It's a bit weird knowing that i can drive to the test centre on my UK License and massive insurance premium then could have potentially failed and still been able to drive away again :lol:

Hopefully your insurance will come down now, although no doubt still expensive in the US.

I was advised to sit my test before buying my own car. So I sat it within a week, in a rental car, so I could get "cheap" insurance. It was still $700 for 6 months and that was 1996!

Gismo
7th April 2010, 03:01 PM
As a foreign national i am $436 per month for both vehicles

KenL
7th April 2010, 03:26 PM
As a foreign national i am $436 per month for both vehicles

Ouch :eek:

Do Americans think that we British can't drive safely?

In my experience the standard of driving in the US is worse than over here.

Gismo
7th April 2010, 03:48 PM
Ouch :eek:

Do Americans think that we British can't drive safely?

In my experience the standard of driving in the US is worse than over here.There is no reciprocal agreement between the US and anywhere in the world that allows a non US approved driver to automatically be granted a US license, especially in the state of Florida.
I agree on the standard of driving, they don't know how to drive and be courteous, but, the fear of being shot outweighs any anger on my side :lol:

The Dogfather
7th April 2010, 08:57 PM
You mean you haven't got a gun yet? How can you sleep at night :eek:

rpn
7th April 2010, 09:26 PM
How about your bike licence, Alan? Do you need to sit that test too?

Gismo
7th April 2010, 09:57 PM
How about your bike licence, Alan? Do you need to sit that test too?Doing that next weekend at the Harley Shop, it's a one evening and two day course :thumbs up:
Went to the local Triumph dealer today and sat on the Rocket 3 and a Speed Triple R :thumbs up:

Scottie
7th April 2010, 10:12 PM
do you have to wear a helmet ? if not will your still wear a helmet? when on your bike?

Are both your cars auto's?

Gismo
8th April 2010, 12:23 AM
do you have to wear a helmet ? if not will your still wear a helmet? when on your bike?

Are both your cars auto's?Florida law states that protective glasses must be worn, helmets are not required by law, but, i will definitely wear a helmet, boots, gloves etc, even though it'll be very very hot.
Both vehicles are auto's, manuals are very much the minority here and besides, there are literally hundreds of traffic lights and would soon wear out the clutch

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2010, 10:21 AM
..... besides, there are literally hundreds of traffic lights and would soon wear out the clutch

Aye, roundabouts are few and far between out there. Mind you, 5 lanes on approach to every roundabout would be tricky. :laugh:

A. :D

zimbo
8th April 2010, 05:30 PM
...i will definitely wear a helmet, boots, gloves etc, even though it'll be very very hot.

That should bring back memories of our road trip through France and Spain last year and sweating like a beeeeeeatch!!!! :frown: dont think I fancy that again so soon... :hand:

Gismo
14th April 2010, 12:23 AM
And Me Julie completes the double, she passed her test today :thumbs up:
She's feeling pretty smug cause she passed the computer questions first time whilst i needed 2 attempts :Whistle:

stoney
14th April 2010, 06:45 AM
good good glad all went well that must be wierid sitting a driveing test again i be you thorort you would do that once in your life lol

Craig
14th April 2010, 08:06 AM
Well done Julie and it's no surprise that's she's smarter than you :moonie: :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
14th April 2010, 09:19 AM
Well done me Julie. :thumbs up::thumbs up: The best drivers pass first time.:clap:

Gismo
14th April 2010, 01:29 PM
Well done me Julie. :thumbs up::thumbs up: The best drivers pass first time.:clap:

Well done Julie and it's no surprise that's she's smarter than you :moonie: :lol::moonie: :moonie: :thumbs up:

zimbo
14th April 2010, 02:43 PM
Well done Julie... :clap:

well it cant be easy at your age Alan :rolleyes: so dont beat yourself up about it... :D even if julie tries to rub it in, just tell her your auld now!! :thumbs up:

bry_mini
14th April 2010, 04:19 PM
nice 1, well done!!