PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Arch Cleaning !!!

condor
2nd April 2010, 02:52 PM
Have been using Chemical Guys Gel for polishing up the black wheel arches and trim etc on my last cooper s and now on the GP and it comes up a proper treat......:D....but every time it rains and after washing all the trim turns grey and straky !!!!!! can anyone suggest any way of getting rid of these hideouse marks ?:argh:.....its realy winding me up.

stoney
2nd April 2010, 05:35 PM
paint them is about the only way i think

Crombers
3rd April 2010, 07:58 AM
I can advise that paint is good :yes nod:

Stewart
3rd April 2010, 10:38 AM
I had the same thing with the CG’s Trim Gel. What some of the lads feel is that you need to leave it then buff it with an old clean cloth to get rid of the excess. The way to go is use very little.In saying that I tried using it now a good few times and was annoyed when it rained and it looks a mess when it dried. You end up with the car still looking spotless but the trim looks ****. I'm going to give it another go all the same just on the arches or just use it on the tyres.

No joking my trim is black and looking great and beads the water off and its all down to Tesco ground Nut Oil that is on the arches. The VW forums swear by the stuff and see it suggested time and time again.

Think it cost me under a pound. I put it on originally to remove polish marks and rubbed it in and left it ten minutes them rinsed with the PW. The only other product I know I can use it the AG new trim gel..

AndyP & Lenore
3rd April 2010, 11:11 AM
I've never used the CG stuff. However, I agree with what Sav112 is saying, ground nut oil (less than a pound at Tesco's) does a good job of bringing out the black in the trim. Here's my suggestion for the fix...

Wash the trim with very very very hot water and fairy, scrubbing with a soft microfibre to get rid of all the CG stuff. You may need to repeat this a few times to completely remove the CG stuff.

Apply the nut oil sparingly over the trim. You'll be surprised how little you use out the bottle. As you do each section, after applying, wipe over with a damp microfibre.

You'll find that the oil will make your arches look the muts nuts, but they any dust or leafs etc., will stick to them. So, after applying the nut oil, preferably the next day once the oil has had a chance to dry..... give the trim a good coat of Autoglym Bumper Care. Warm the Bumper Care in a bucket of warm water before applying as it will make it more runny and easier to apply. And again, after applying each section, wipe over with a warm wet microfibre towel to even out the application.

If you're unsure about any of the above, or if you want to try some Bumper Care, you're welcome to pop over some time and I'll show you what I do. Pop me a PM first to sort out a time.

A.:thumbs up:

Stewart
3rd April 2010, 01:34 PM
Good it’s not just me on the Nut oil....:blush: I use one of these soft washing up sponges, you know the ones with the rough scrubber side on top to go over the trim to apply the oil., then leave it a few hours and go over with another clean sponge.

Might go with the AG gel over it next time.

Scottie
3rd April 2010, 08:38 PM
if your trim has a lot of polish risidue left behind I would use a pencil rubber but be careful of the paint work. I would try the GTechniq C4 trim restorer very good I've never rated the GG trim gel myself

http://www.gtechniq.com

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 08:39 PM
I found this too with the cg's stuff. I use the autosmart trim ultra. I think it must be similar to a nut oil very thin and goes along way. It lasts ages too. Will defo need to try the nut oil though sounds good.

Stewart
23rd April 2010, 08:53 PM
Greig I did find the nut oil had left a sticky residue there but it had lasted so long and looked brilliant even after rain and a good few washes. I did use the CG stuff there the second last wash and one of those dishwasher soft pads you know the ones with the rough top scrubber. (soft side of course used) And I used the absolute minimum and went over and over with pad to make sure it was even and well spread out. But the Nut oil did get rid of the marks I had and I don’t mean that it covered the marks I could see it bleach out in the oil with a toothbrush

The CG seems to have worked better for me, Washed the Car on Tuesday and the trim looked really good, no water marks. And it got even more foam and rinse than usual due to the dirty rain. So giving it another chance.

If your stuff works well I’d stick with it. Must Say when the Mini Trim is not done it make the whole car just look so poor, seen so many in the car parks that dont get touched.

GCA3N
23rd April 2010, 09:12 PM
Yeh the trim looking good makes a huge difference.