PDA

View Full Version : excessive tyre squeal!

CooperTrooper
24th June 2004, 06:47 PM
anyone else noticed this? or is it just my driving style? :disapprove:

at first, i thought it was cool, but now its borderin on embarrasing! one sharp pull on the wheel is all thats needed! i reckon at this rate im gonna be lucky to get 8k out my front tyres!

ive got teh 16" goodyear run flats, anyone tried any other run flat makes? better/worse? squeal more/less? or is changing to normal tyres viable?

how may miles are you'se peoples getting out of front tyres? and wahts the best price/place to go?

cheers!

john
24th June 2004, 06:53 PM
It must be your driving:evil:

Burple
24th June 2004, 06:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by CooperTrooper

anyone else noticed this? or is it just my driving style? :disapprove:
at first, i thought it was cool, but now its borderin on embarrasing! one sharp pull on the wheel is all thats needed! i reckon at this rate im gonna be lucky to get 8k out my front tyres!
ive got teh 16" goodyear run flats, anyone tried any other run flat makes? better/worse? squeal more/less? or is changing to normal tyres viable?
how may miles are you'se peoples getting out of front tyres? and wahts the best price/place to go?
cheers!

Hmm....
I got the 17" Dunplop runflats...
I've only had them squeal a couple of times... once was on Cobbles and White lines.. and the other was during some erm... 'energetic' cornering on a Monte-style road up near Tumme Bridge!! :D:D:D

As for mileage.. hmm done over 17k and the fronts still have plenty of life left in 'em... the rears still look brand new!!

Time to swap them over soon I think, If I can get the b@st@rd wheel nuts off! I bent the locking nut key last weekend trying! :mad:
they've been put on a wee bit tight!! :blackeye::disapprove:
The joys of airguns huh?

CooperTrooper
24th June 2004, 06:56 PM
hhhhmmmmmm,

arent you the john that only got 7500 to the first service? :approve:

CooperTrooper
24th June 2004, 07:49 PM
LOW_LOUD

you've got me wondering, where is my lockin wheel key? i dont remember them tellin me anything bout it!, i suppose though, with run flats i shouldnt ever need the wheel off.

i had a clio172 before, and it could corner quickly without the tyre squealing, i think its mibbe down to the amount of rubber in the sidewalls?

Or am i just a nut-job driver?

MartinSullivan
24th June 2004, 07:51 PM
CooperTrooper, my locking wheel key is in the little cubby , behind a flap, on the left hand side of the boot. Should be a little tool roll in there. Thats on a cooper S mind, which doesnt have a compartment under the boot carpet for spare wheel etc, cause the batteries there :)

GAJ
24th June 2004, 08:28 PM
Mine is in a foam tray under the boot carpet. When I had the 16" runflats they were pretty chirpy, especially dropping the clutch at 4500rpm!!

Duncan Stewart
24th June 2004, 08:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
As for mileage.. hmm done over 17k and the fronts still have plenty of life left in 'em... the rears still look brand new!!

I never get more than 10,000 miles out of a set of front tyres! :eek: :evil: :clown: :I
I also noticed the Mini tyres tend to squeal on the sharp corners on my way to work

Burple
24th June 2004, 09:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Mine is in a foam tray under the boot carpet. When I had the 16" runflats they were pretty chirpy, especially dropping the clutch at 4500rpm!!

Ummm...yup... what he says... :D:D
It's in there beside the Jack and other toys...

Starky
25th June 2004, 12:47 AM
Are you driving with the traction control off :question:

Wul
25th June 2004, 01:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by Starky

I was gonna say that!;):cool:

GAJ
25th June 2004, 03:39 AM
Or more likely - no traction control, like me!

Duncan Stewart
25th June 2004, 04:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Starky

Whats that? a granny driving aid? :D:p;)