PDA

View Full Version : RF Tyres

KenL
27th March 2010, 04:30 PM
I will need new front tyres, probably within the next few months.

Anyone any experience with Avon ZZ3 tyres or Avon in general. These are available for much cheaper than the Dunlop soprt 01 that came on my car. I am not that impressed that these are needing replaced after <15k miles.

http://www.tyrespec.co.uk/products/?ref=3878

Would it be OK to have these on one axle and the Dunlops on another until I wear these out?

Thanks.

Stewart
27th March 2010, 05:45 PM
I’m not that impressed either with my front two after 15K only about 3.3MM left on the front and just under 5M on the back two. I’ve got Goodyear Excellence Runflats. It's not even that i drive the car hard at all.

There at least £90 a pop, used to pay £30-£40 on my old Honda.

N16SHP
27th March 2010, 07:04 PM
Its just tires in general, there a total pain in the arse. If you want good performance, they wear down quicker, if you want durability, they wont perform well. I've heard good reports about the Conti Sports so may consider them next time I need to pit! Although I heard bad reports about the Pirelli Eurofi's and i've got two on the back and not noticed any difference!

Craig
27th March 2010, 08:28 PM
The only thing I know about the Avons is that they wear pretty quick, kinda like Pirelli's.... ;)

norrie
29th March 2010, 07:06 PM
I've had Avons on other cars and found them to be really good and they are good value for money.

Norrie.

Sheilz
29th March 2010, 10:53 PM
conti sports best runflats I've had. 11000 miles and still a very generous 7mm thread on the ones just got rid of. Pirelli's were dreadful in the wet.

The Dogfather
30th March 2010, 06:35 AM
Every tyre manufacturer has durable and performance tyres within their range, it picking the one that gives you the balance between wear rate and grip.

Trouble is RF have very limited availability, here's what Camskills have to offer at the moment.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m54b0s2430p0

Bugger all choice, compare that to the standard tyres

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m54b0s457p0

Delboy
30th March 2010, 08:38 AM
conti sports best runflats I've had. 11000 miles and still a very generous 7mm thread on the ones just got rid of. Pirelli's were dreadful in the wet.

Sheilz, I am delighted with your old Conti Sports (I put them on the front wheels) and they are so much better than the Dunlops I took off. To be fair though, the nearside Dunlop was almost at the markers so that didn't help in the wet but I still feel I have far more grip with the Conti Sports :thumbs up:.

Ken, I had non-runflat Avon ZZ3s on another car and I really liked them :yes nod:.

euan
30th March 2010, 10:00 AM
I fitted Conti Sports (non-RF granted) to the Audi and the difference is immense over the Dunlops I had. Awesome tyres for wet weather and dry grip (not that we've had much of that since I fitted them!)

Might be worth a look through this site:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Avon/ZZ3.htm

My favourite comment is the boy who thinks his Fiat Punto diesel is fast...

People seem to rate them but for the price/performance balance more than out and out performance. Depends how you drive the car and how you want to spend I guess. I wanted the best grip I could get wet or dry, so spent a bit more on the Contis, but didn't go mental and buy the Michelin Pilot Sport (extra £50 a tyre).

KenL
30th March 2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks again folks.

I would fancy the Contis but there are VERY expensive. I may still go down that route but if Avons are 90% as good for 60% of the price then I would be tempted.

The Dogfather
30th March 2010, 06:43 PM
I just can't understand why you'd go for RFs, even MINI fit normal tyres (optional) from new. I'd just buy a space saver wheel or a can of gunk.

Delboy
30th March 2010, 07:04 PM
I just can't understand why you'd go for RFs, even MINI fit normal tyres (optional) from new. I'd just buy a space saver wheel or a can of gunk.

Because Ken only needs two for the front :smilewinkgrin:.

The Dogfather
30th March 2010, 07:14 PM
Ah, but aren't 4 non RFs nearly as cheap as 2 RFs?

KenL
30th March 2010, 07:16 PM

I know, non-RFs are better handling and cheaper.

However, I have nowhere to store a spare in the car - its an S.

Also, I don't believe that the gunk will work well unless it is a tiny puncture.

Has anyone actually used these cans? Do they provide a permanent fix?

KenL
30th March 2010, 07:20 PM
Ah, but aren't 4 non RFs nearly as cheap as 2 RFs?

It does not seem that way when searching. They appear to be about 10-20% more expensive than standard tyres.

The Dogfather
30th March 2010, 07:50 PM
The gunk didn't work when I hit a pothole and spit the sidewall, but it did work when I got a nail. Its not a permanent fix but it gets you to a garage to have the puncture repaired.

I forgot the hatch doesn't have the spare wheel well like the clubbie, oops. Mind you neither do I as its filled with subwoofer and amps :D

KenL
30th March 2010, 09:35 PM
The gunk didn't work when I hit a pothole and spit the sidewall, but it did work when I got a nail. Its not a permanent fix but it gets you to a garage to have the puncture repaired.

Can a tyre be repaired after you use the gunk then?

The Dogfather
30th March 2010, 10:08 PM
Mine was, they have to clean it though first.

Some places make a charge for cleaning though, I used the holts tyreweld BTW.

KenL
31st March 2010, 07:08 PM
Mine was, they have to clean it though first.

Some places make a charge for cleaning though, I used the holts tyreweld BTW.

Interesting - I may think more about this option!

Do you think a simple can of tyreweld would be as effective or better than the "MINI Mobility System" of glue and a compressor? The can is no doubt much easier to use.

The Dogfather
31st March 2010, 07:51 PM
This might be of interest (http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/articles/viewarticle.aspx?id=18)

I guess the fall back is that if you get a puncture and it can't be repaired then you always have the MINI breakdown assistance.

Scottie
1st April 2010, 10:32 PM
Kenl if interested I could offer you Dunlop run flat tyres 17" that have 7/8mm tread. Will have the tyres tomorrow when I collect my new wheels

KenL
2nd April 2010, 08:57 AM
Are they the Sport 01 that come on the car?

If yes, I am interested at the right price :thumbs up:

How many miles have they done? Were they on the front or rear of the car? Thanks.

What new wheels are you getting?

Scottie
2nd April 2010, 05:51 PM
not sure what tyres they are haven't looked at the wheels yet will do so tonight and get back to you. They are just the 17" OEM multi spoke alloys not really my choice had them before and a bugger to clean but I need them handy for when I decide to change the car

Scottie
2nd April 2010, 08:27 PM
Are they the Sport 01 that come on the car?

If yes, I am interested at the right price :thumbs up:

How many miles have they done? Were they on the front or rear of the car? Thanks.

What new wheels are you getting?

I have two Sport 01 they have 6mm tread no idea whether they were on front or back of the car or how many miles they have covered. £120 for the two. If your interested let me know