PDA

View Full Version : Clip on roofs

Duncan Stewart
24th June 2004, 04:55 PM
The new model of the Mini (due 2007) is to have a clip on plastic roof like a mobile phone cover! Will allow users to change the roof and stop delays in the paint shop due to only one colour spay job needed. Sounds like a neat idea but how do you polish a white plastic roof ?!?
From this weeks Autoexpress mag

john
24th June 2004, 05:17 PM
HOW??

Thats easy!

Unclip it and take it in the house:D

KenL
24th June 2004, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a made up story to me unless they are just talking about a hardtop for the convertible.

If it's true won't it just make MINI cheezy like a Citreon Pluriel :blackeye:

Starky
25th June 2004, 12:42 AM
quote: Sounds like a neat idea but how do you polish a white plastic roof ?!?

Sounds like another one for Wul McGuire, lol. :D

lightbody
25th June 2004, 06:11 AM
The Classic Mini's roof was basically the same - except welded on. It wasn't structural at all I don't think (very thin steel). Sounds feasible to me!

broken_brian
25th June 2004, 03:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

The Classic Mini's roof was basically the same - except welded on. It wasn't structural at all I don't think (very thin steel). Sounds feasible to me!

not wanting to be picky:p but all the panels on classic minis are structural with the exeption of the doors, bonnet and boot lid before some smart a*@e says :blackeye:. thats why flipfronts are frowned upon by mot testers:evil:

Duncan Stewart
25th June 2004, 04:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian
not wanting to be picky:p but all the panels on classic minis are structural with the exeption of the doors, bonnet and boot lid before some smart a*@e says :blackeye:. thats why flipfronts are frowned upon by mot testers:evil:

The smart arse (me) :clown:, says and rear valance! ;) (at least I hope so as mine is bolted on :eek:)
I'd agree with Brian that the roof is structural