PDA

View Full Version : Fitting new front seats

norrie
25th March 2010, 08:22 PM
Managed to get a brand new set of front leather seats for my new Mini today on E-bay and was wondering how easy they are to fit.
They don't come with the runners so will need to swap them over but I have heard of some people saying they have to get the car re-coded to accept the new seats otherwise it shows an error code.
Is this true?

Also Ideally I want to get the rears in leather as well and wondered if you can just buy the leather covers for the rear seats and if so how much would they cost?

Cheers.

Norrie.

ianking
25th March 2010, 09:03 PM
Seats as a whole are dead easy to fit but Ive never had to swap over the runners before so cant comment on that bit.

The car wont need coded as long as you disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected until both the new seats are plugged in electrically, otherwise it will throw up an air bag fault.

norrie
26th March 2010, 10:56 AM
Ok thanks for that.
I've just contacted David at John Clark for a price on the rear seat covers and there nearly £1000 so wont be going down that route.
I will keep my eye on E-bay etc and try and get a second hand set of rear seats which I imagine wont be easy.
Either that or get a leather trimmers to recover the rear seat to match the fronts.

Norrie.

stoney
26th March 2010, 02:01 PM
the runners are a pain in the ass i had to change my drivers one and ended up get a frenid that knew what they where doining to come and change it for me and as ian said the rest is a doodle 1 thing i would say to mind is have the seat at it highest setting when takeing them off or you will struggle to get your torx bit in

ianking
26th March 2010, 02:36 PM
What about contacting the 2 MINI breakers down south. They may have the rears that you need.

norrie
29th March 2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah I've already been in touch with a couple that advertise on E-bay but no luck.

norrie
29th March 2010, 06:49 PM
I received the seats today and noticed that there heated.
Is it possible to retro fit the wiring, switches etc?
Do you think any of the wiring will be there?
It would be nice to have them heated.

Norrie.

ELFMAN
31st March 2010, 10:43 PM
Norrie, I bought a pair of excellent leather JCW/Recaros last year from an NMS member for my car and these are are also Heated, but my S didn't have the heated option for the standard seats, so would have to have the required electrical bits dealer retro-fitted... at the cost of... wait for it - about £1,000.00!!!!! Needless to say I'm managing to survive WITHOUT the seats toasting my buns. Looks like it's one of those things that's only cost-effective if you order it while you're speccing the car from the factory. Unless someone knows different.

norrie
31st March 2010, 11:12 PM
Ok thanks.
I thought about contacting a Mini breakers that has a car with the heated seats and retro fitting the wiring myself.

Norrie.

ELFMAN
1st April 2010, 12:18 AM
I'd buy a Fire extinguisher then... not something I'd attempt I'm afraid - might end up with more than hot seats! Best of luck anyway.

Forbes
1st April 2010, 12:59 AM
If you do this might help

Heated seats guide (http://www.minitorque.com/forum/attachments/f275/3629d1259784897-pdf-fitting-guides-miniheatedseats.pdf)
(http://www.minitorque.com/forum/attachments/f275/3629d1259784897-pdf-fitting-guides-miniheatedseats.pdf)

norrie
1st April 2010, 05:34 PM
Can't access that as not a member.

Norrie.

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2010, 07:38 PM
Can't access that as not a member.

Norrie.

Join???? It's free after all.

A.

norrie
5th April 2010, 01:04 PM
Joined but unfortunately it's for the older Mini's.
It's a brand new R56 I'm getting.
It looks as though you can buy a retrofit kit though so that's intresting although I imagine it will be mega bucks from BMW.
Still think my best bet is a breakers.
I'm not in any rush to get it done as I've not even got the car yet.
Will probably try and get my rear seats covered in leather first before worrying about getting the front ones heated.

Norrie.

big pete
5th April 2010, 02:05 PM
Try Mini Matt in Telford , seems like a really helpful guy. Does a lot in the Mini magazine.

norrie
5th April 2010, 02:36 PM
Ok thanks.
I've spoke to him about getting rear seats in leather but he dosen't have any in stock.

Norrie.

ELFMAN
5th April 2010, 03:36 PM
Joined but unfortunately it's for the older Mini's.
It looks as though you can buy a retrofit kit though so that's intresting although I imagine it will be mega bucks from BMW. Norrie.

Yeah, like I said earlier - I was quoted about a Grand... spend it on a nice exhast system or something interesting!

norrie
6th April 2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah I'm not that bothered but will keep my eye out.
I've not even got the car yet. LOL.

Norrie.