PDA

View Full Version : iPod sync help required

AndyP & Lenore
22nd March 2010, 12:50 AM
Installed a new hard drive with Windows 7 in my PC a couple of weeks ago.

I sync'd my iPhone as soon as I had downloaded iTunes, and it looked like all my tracks had gone onto the hard drive in iTunes.

Getting ready to go on holiday so I plugged in one of our iPods and clicked Sync and it gave me a warning that this iPod was synced with another iTunes library and everything on it would be deleted and then all the items in the current library would be synced with it. Fine, I thought so clicked OK.

Turns out only a few tracks - I think it's all the stuff I've bought through iTunes that have sync'd. All the stuff I've ripped from CD have not gone into the iTunes library from my iPhone when I sync'd it a couple of weeks ago. It shows the albums in my iTunes library but can't find the music and iTunes won't play any of them when I click "play album".

What's my options?

I could re-rip all those albums again, but I don't really want to spend the time doing that.

I still have the old hard drive and I can plug that back in an copy stuff off it onto an external hard drive if I need to make some sort of iTunes back up. (I can't just connect the old hard drive as I only have one hard drive connector cable in my PC - can't remember WTF it's called).

Any help appreciated.

A.

Fartin Martin
22nd March 2010, 01:48 AM
I think i had the same problem when i got my new laptop. I had to sit and use a memory stick and transfer all my music from the old laptop to new one! it was a pain in the ass! eventually i managed to get the ipod to sync and that the songs would actually play..dunno how i managed it either..just kinda happened! ha:lol: tbh..i dunno if this would even help you:p lol

Bazthemod
22nd March 2010, 08:25 AM
you will need to transfer the music to your new hard drive and then import into itunes. You can't copy music from the iphone back to the pc unless you purchased it through itunes as this is against copyright. There are program out there however that let you rip your iPod/phone but it seems you have already wiped the music off it by syncing.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd March 2010, 11:26 AM
you will need to transfer the music to your new hard drive and then import into itunes. You can't copy music from the iphone back to the pc unless you purchased it through itunes as this is against copyright. There are program out there however that let you rip your iPod/phone but it seems you have already wiped the music off it by syncing.

I've effectively wiped the iPod, but I still have all the songs on the iPhone.

Baz, any idea where I will find the music stored on the old hard drive? When I ripped it initially I just ripped it into iTunes. Does it not store it in a weird format that only iTunes can read? Or will there be a folder somewhere with the original music stored in it that I can copy to an external drive, then plug my new drive back in and rip it into iTunes again from there?

A.

Delboy
22nd March 2010, 12:26 PM
The files should be in your "Music" folder under sub-folder "iTunes". When you open the iTunes folder you should see all your albums, etc..

Good luck!

AndyP & Lenore
22nd March 2010, 01:15 PM
The files should be in your "Music" folder under sub-folder "iTunes". When you open the iTunes folder you should see all your albums, etc..

Good luck!

Cheers Del. Will have a wee look later.:thumbs up:

A.

Gismo
22nd March 2010, 02:41 PM
When you rip CD's in iTunes you have a choice of what format to use, if you never selected then you will most probably have one of the AAC or Apple Lossless formats, however, cause it's going back on your iPod all should be ok when you import back again.

I recently copied all my songs from my iPod to my hard drive for my USA move and thus changing computers.
I also took my original library file and simply placed all the tunes in a folder, installed iTunes and pasted the original library file into the iTunes directory over writing the newly installed one and linked iTunes to my msic, all worked perfectly.

Bazthemod
22nd March 2010, 04:12 PM
Yup Del is right you will need to do it this way. The only way you can transfer music back from the phone to pc is with third party software. To be honest it's easier to just transfer the music from your hard drive. If you still had the itunes up and running you could export the library too keep your playcounts and ratings etc. This will all reset.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd March 2010, 04:47 PM
Cheers guys.

Off on my holybags tomorrow and I doubt I'll have time to sort this before I go, but will have a go at it when I get back next week.

Cheers again.:thumbs up:

A.