PDA

View Full Version : Wipac Stainless Spotlamps....

Mike_T
19th March 2010, 09:49 PM
Has anyone had any problems with these? Mine have been on the car for about 6 months and they're in a bad way!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/trikemailer/Misc/WipacLamp.jpg

(The brown on the surround is just staining from the grit on the roads over the winter it cleans off) The problem is the Reflectors (they are both the same) Has anyone had any experience of this? Wipac don't seem to be interested.

Fester
19th March 2010, 09:58 PM
Yep Had a similar problem with mine, did not get the marks on the reflector though, I've just taken mine off and busy preparing them to give them a plastidip coating instead of the chrome finish.

Stephen

Sheilz
19th March 2010, 10:13 PM
The bmw ones I'd on specy were pretty dire. Got one pair changed free of charge as chap in JC said they were meant to last the lifetime of the car. Second set I changed my self so for a while had four decent spots. Then the pair that JC had changed went all rusty and like yours the reflectors were all rusty. Thought that was pretty poor for just five years of motoring. Ok car had high mileage but can't see how that would affect the spots.
I'm hoping Dougall's ones are better quality. Not heard anyone saying anything about these ones though maybe too soon for signs of premature rusting to be evident.

Craig
20th March 2010, 10:03 AM
yeah mine went this way also, plus I think Colin had the same issue. It seems to be because the air and dampness is getting into the inside of the lamp... :frown:

N16SHP
20th March 2010, 12:21 PM
That's why I went for the black ones so that hopefully I wouldn't get any rust etc. They may fill up inside, but outside they are not probs to clean!!

Colin
22nd March 2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah mine went the same way. Outside is fine as they are stainless and the marks just polished out. But water got into the "sealed" reflector and messed up the silvering. Sent them back to the place I bought them from and got a full refund. Was planning to get a new set but this time I think I will take them to bits and seal them myself so the water does not get in the front.

Mike_T
23rd March 2010, 11:13 PM
I never noticed water inside mine at anytime, so I'm wondering if they're holding water in behind the reflector which might be causing this.

Colin
23rd March 2010, 11:37 PM
I never noticed water inside mine at anytime, so I'm wondering if they're holding water in behind the reflector which might be causing this.

Just to be clear.. I never actually saw any water inside the reflector or any misting on the glass. But when I took one of them to bits for a closer look, that's the only thing I could see that would have caused it. The salt through the winter wouldn't have helped them either. Its mainly round the bottom front edge it goes, was the same on all four of mine. I'm guessing the water is maybe lying in the bottom part and getting wicked up into the reflector. Either way it's a design fault cos if it was sealed properly it wouldn't do that.

Mini_Disaster
24th March 2010, 10:17 PM
Cheap tat!!! I had the same with the spotlamps on our 1st mini.

Got some quality PIAA items for the 2nd one which were great & funny enough are now for sale in the 'FOR SALE' section!! :lol: