PDA

View Full Version : R56 timing chain issue ?

clubman0_1
10th March 2010, 07:46 PM
Anyone had any issues with timing chain tesioner on there r56. my car is an 07 cooper s with jcw engine tuning kit and has just hit 15000miles. took it to the dealer as fuel econemy dropped from 34 average to 26 ( i do drive it as its ment to be :smilewinkgrin: ) suddenly and it was flat spotting and backfiring on overrun and at gearchanges

dealer tested it and it was showing a knock sensor fault. they checked timing and it was out. they reset it and replaced the tesioner with a modified one and performance is better. car is smother and less ticky at idle

anyone else had seen or got this issue. or know if this is the true issue or dealer taking piss with the warrenty? :confused:

i personally though it was an injector the fact it was sudden

Livi
11th March 2010, 12:15 AM
The timing chain tensioner was replaced on the R56 cooper S engines, i would maybe check it back to the dealer and see what kinda servoce they offer you, but i would say it would have to be a warranty job.

Did your MINI come with AUC warranty?

Archer189
11th March 2010, 01:22 AM
I have just got my 2008 R56S back today for this fix as on occasions my car sounded like a diesel. They replaced the cam chain tensioner and then uploaded the latest software. By all accounts this should now be fixed. Can't say the car had a flat spot.

N16SHP
11th March 2010, 12:02 PM
I have just got my 2008 R56S back today for this fix as on occasions my car sounded like a diesel. They replaced the cam chain tensioner and then uploaded the latest software. By all accounts this should now be fixed. Can't say the car had a flat spot.

My car has sounded like a diesel recently sometimes when I started it up, and I have been going through my petrol. I thought it was just me being a bit mental. Also need to get my anti roll bar bushes replaced. This will be the 4th time i've been back within a year! They are gonna think i'm one of those annoying tiny-est rattle people...but if they had just fixed it properly the first time i wouldn't of been back!

clubman0_1
11th March 2010, 07:24 PM
its been fixed under arrenty and its back to fullhealth - just wondered if it was a common problem

ianking
11th March 2010, 08:12 PM
My previous R56 S 2007 was terrible with this. Had it done under warranty but it came back again so ended up trading it in for a 130i.
The car I have now, 2008 factory JCW has over the past couple months been doing it really badly almost every morning.
It was meant to be going into Eastern last monday but they called me on the Saturday to say that the parts never arrived and were on back order from manufacturer so now its not going in to get fixed until the 6th April which is ages away.

clubman0_1
12th March 2010, 02:16 AM
My previous R56 S 2007 was terrible with this. Had it done under warranty but it came back again so ended up trading it in for a 130i.
The car I have now, 2008 factory JCW has over the past couple months been doing it really badly almost every morning.
It was meant to be going into Eastern last monday but they called me on the Saturday to say that the parts never arrived and were on back order from manufacturer so now its not going in to get fixed until the 6th April which is ages away.

never had any diesel knock from mine but will say eastern are talking crap as took mine to parks and was told by them that it is such a common problem that they carry the parts in stock.

what worries me more is that my timing was out. the ecu is probably doing everything it can to corect something thats out with its control by running lean or rich because of the scatted of the cams. think this is why mine is misfiring but at this rate im buggered if im gona be putting my car in every 15000 mile for a timing chain tesioner

ianking
12th March 2010, 09:23 AM
Timing doesnt appear to be out on mine and the car is still plenty fast and I average 33mpg and I still drive it pretty hard at the weekends.

What date was yours in at Eastern. If they are spinning me a story just cause they were too busy even although I was booked in then I wont be happy.

KenL
18th March 2010, 08:22 PM
I had the chain tensioner replaced in April 09 (car had done about 1500 miles or so) and it has never happened again.