PDA

View Full Version : Driving in France

DavidW
9th March 2010, 11:47 PM
Does anyone know the current requirements. I have read various things from warning triangles, GB badge, reflective jacket, headlight reflectors (do xenons require them? - one site said they would just fall off due to the heat!, how do you adjust them?), bulbs..... Depends which website you are on. Denfinately need the first 3 / 4 I think.
Any one been recently?

Ta

Stewart
9th March 2010, 11:56 PM
Your not far wrong I noted down the requirement a while back for travel through a few countries but I dont know what the law is actual.
Euro-style number plates (or GB sticker)

Headlamp Converters or get the Xenons adjusted (can only been done on later models!)

Warning Triangle

Spare Bulb Kit

Safety Jacket hi viz (plus 1 for each passenger)

First Aid Kit

Fire Extinguisher

Plus other things that make sense.

Spare set of car keys.

For yourself...

Valid passport

Valid driving license for both drivers

Log book

Insurance certificate

MOT certificate

Breakdown recovery insurance

EHIC (replacement for the E111)

Personal travel insurance

Forbes
10th March 2010, 12:08 AM
That jsut your guess Sav?

Stewart
10th March 2010, 12:49 AM
I was hoping to go over to Europe in the Mini and read a few things a while back and noted them down.
I remember I had to inform my insurance as well and pay a premium for the time abroad

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html)

Compulsory equipment in France and Monaco:

• Warning triangle

(excludes motorcycles)

Snow chains - must be fitted to vehicles using snow-covered roads in compliance with the relevant road sign.

Reflective jackets (EN471) - one reflective jacket in the vehicle. This does not apply to drivers of two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles.
© The Automobile Association Limited 2010. Use of this and any other material contained in this website is governed by its Terms and Conditions. Website http://www.theaa.com.

Other rules/requirements in France and Monaco:

It is recommended that visitors equip their vehicle with a set of replacement bulbs.

In built-up areas give way to traffic coming from the right "priorité a droite".

At signed roundabouts bearing the words "Vous n'avez pas la priorité" or "Cédez le passage" traffic on the roundabout has priority; where no such sign exists traffic entering the roundabout has priority.

Overtaking stationary trams is prohibited when passengers are boarding / alighting.
Parking discs for ‘blue zone’ parking areas can be obtained from police stations, tourist offices and some shops.
In built up areas the use of the horn is prohibited except in cases of immediate danger.
Apparatus with a screen which can distract a driver (such as television, video, DVD equipment) should be positioned in places where the driver is unable to see them. This excludes GPS systems. It is prohibited to touch or program the device unless parked in a safe place.

It is absolutely prohibited to carry, transport or use radar detectors.

Compulsory equipment in Belgium:

• Reflective jacket
- Drivers stranded on a Belgian motorway or on a major road (usually four-lane roads, called 'route pour automobiles' - sign E17), stopping on places where parking is not allowed, must wear a reflective safety jacket as soon as they leave their vehicle. Fine for non-compliance €50 is applicable, but the amount can be much higher (€55 - €1,375) if the driver refuses to pay or in a circumstance where the driver has to go to court (for example in the event of an accident). The jacket is compulsory for vehicles registered in Belgium. Whilst a foreign registered vehicle will not be fined for not carrying a reflective jacket if there is a police check, he/she could be fined for not wearing a jacket in case the vehicle breaks down.

Warning triangle - Compulsory for vehicles with more than two wheels.

Other rules/requirements in Belgium:

First-aid kit and fire extinguisher recommended as their carriage is compulsory for Belgian-registered vehicles.

GERMANY (Central Europe)
Compulsory equipment in Germany:
n/a

Lights: It is recommended to use dipped headlights or day time running lights at all times. It is compulsory during daylight hours if fog, snow or rain restrict visibility.
A GPS based navigation system which has maps indicating the location of fixed speed cameras must have the ‘fixed speed camera PoI (Points of Interest)’ function deactivated. Should you be unable to deactivate this function the GPS system must not be carried.

Compulsory equipment in Italy and San Marino:

• Warning triangle

- (for all vehicles with more than two wheels).

Reflective jacket - The wearing of reflectorised jacket / waistcoat compulsory if driver and / or passenger(s) exits vehicle which is immobilised on the carriageway at night or in poor visibility. Not applicable to two wheeled vehicles.

Snow chains - Between the 15th October and the 15th April, or at other times if conditions dictate. Provinces can introduce their own legislation making the use of winter tyres or snow chains compulsory.

euan
10th March 2010, 10:14 AM
The lights - I put the stickers on my Mini with Xenons and they didn't fall off. It was a token gesture though - I wasn't driving it at night and I had an orignal S which you can't convert the lights on.

LINK (http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-mini-cooper-s/128330-xenon-headlights.html) for older cars

For newer cars (LINK (http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-generation-mini-exterior/161362-bi-xenon-headlights-driving-abroad.html) - text copied from relevant post)

been to France and can report that to convert from UK to Europe the "plastic white lever" needs a gentle movement upwards on the passenger side and down on the drivers side. The levers need only a gentle nudge and as Harpo said above you will hear a slight click ( best done - at the docks - when there are no engines (http://www.mini2.com/forum/#) running nearby ) the first time take a torch to ensure you are touching the right plastic. it is very simple a very quick. the Xenons light beams have the perfect amount of cut off and give you a little extra down the nearside too http://img.autoforums.com/site-styles/mini2.com/images/newsmilies/wink.gif

when you return to the docks ( Europe to UK ) you will be able to reset them back without a torch and you will hear the now familiar click. ( obviously the drivers side lever to go up and the passenger side to go down )

tip to remember .....which ever side of the channel you're on, the levers need to go in the opposite direction to what you want the beam to do

in any event if you're not sure your dealer will be able to confirm what is to be done, our local garage kindly faxed over a copy of the notes for the R55/R56, but the photos weren't clear so I'd go and see 'em.

Bazthemod
10th March 2010, 11:37 AM
This is useful info for the next MINI United ;)

DavidW
10th March 2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks