PDA

View Full Version : Windaes 7 install

AndyP & Lenore
8th March 2010, 06:39 PM
A few weeks ago I got the "blue screen of death" on my PC. Restarted my PC, ran chkdsk and it sorted any issues, but there was always that nagging doubt... "when will the hard drive completely fail?"

So, I bought myself a nice shiny 1TB hard drive, and a copy (legal and paid for) of Windows 7.

Backed up everything (several times) :D and installed my new new hard drive and ported all the data and installed all the programs etc. All going fine. LOVE Windows 7 and the new HD DV is HUGE!! Split it into 3 partitions under the guidance of MrD.

One wee problem though.... I've downloaded the Windows 7 driver for my graphics card, but the text on the screen is absolutely rubbish, surfing, explorer, everything really. Even typing this post is actually difficult to read.

Anyone got any suggestions to make it look better?

A.

Craig
8th March 2010, 09:14 PM
I would say update the driver but you've prob done that already .... Drivers for 7 are nearly as slow coming out as vista :(

AndyP & Lenore
8th March 2010, 09:49 PM
I would say update the driver but you've prob done that already .... Drivers for 7 are nearly as slow coming out as vista :(

Yeah, downloaded the latest driver from ATI's web site. Not really any bettererer:sad:

A.:D

Burple
9th March 2010, 10:26 AM
You could maybe try some drivers from Omega Drivers (http://www.omegadrivers.net/)

I've used them before for gaming purposes, as do a lot of other people.
Pick the make of your card (ATI, nVidia etc) off the box at the top and have a look at the release notes if you like.
They say they support Windows 7.

AndyP & Lenore
9th March 2010, 11:02 AM
Cheers Euan. No driver for Win 7 as yet, but I'll keep an eye on the web site for one appearing.

A.:thumbs up:

Burple
9th March 2010, 11:30 AM
Just out of sheer nosiness... what's the card you have in your PC?

AndyP & Lenore
9th March 2010, 01:27 PM
Just out of sheer nosiness... what's the card you have in your PC?

It's an ATI Radeon 1300. It's a mini card, not a full height card. Cos my system is a Dell Dimension C521 Small base unit pc type thing.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
12th March 2010, 12:19 AM
Well, I've managed a small improvement by uninstalling the Win 7 driver and installing an XP driver. Go figure.:confused:

But to be honest, it's still very difficult to read text.:sad:

A.:frown:

The Dogfather
12th March 2010, 07:16 AM
Never be an early adopter, you become a free testing resource for the manufacturers.

Craig
12th March 2010, 09:00 AM
First rule or it. Wait til sp1 before installing any windows software ;)

AndyP & Lenore
12th March 2010, 11:26 AM
Never be an early adopter, you become a free testing resource for the manufacturers.

First rule or it. Wait til sp1 before installing any windows software ;)

Laptop is spot on though.

A.