PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about changing the colour of my wheels....

Delboy
7th March 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm thinking about getting my wheels refurbished as a couple of them are showing signs of corrosion (one is particularly bad and has been touched up in the past). I could just get them redone in silver but I wondered whether titanium might look good instead so I played around with a couple of photos to see what it might look like.
Comments would be appreciated :thumbs up: (and I know I can count on you all to be honest :p)

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/1alloyssilver.jpg
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/1alloysdark.jpg
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/2alloyssilver.jpg
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/2alloysdark-1.jpg

The Dogfather
7th March 2010, 09:02 PM
I like the fact that the wheels match the roof so a no from me.....

Craig
7th March 2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah I'm with DF on this one... it kinda just doesn't look right. If you don't want silver, what about silver with a metal flake thro it. It sounds cheezy but it's very subtle and when the sunlight hits them, they sparkle.... :thumbs up: I had that on my 18's that I had on my coop last year.... :yes nod:

Forbes
7th March 2010, 09:11 PM
Silver. Purely for the same reasons as above.

Delboy
7th March 2010, 09:18 PM
Right, I know I said be honest but ......... :moonie: :lol:

Thanks guys for the quick feedback - I think you just confirmed what my head was already telling me :yes nod:.

It's not that I don't want silver again as I generally do prefer bright shiney wheels but I thought it was worth considering the options up front.

What about candy red? :Whistle:

Cheers,
Del

AndyP & Lenore
7th March 2010, 09:32 PM
What about candy red? :Whistle:

Cheers,
Del

Oh good god, NO!!!:frown:

A.:D

Delboy
7th March 2010, 09:41 PM
Oh good god, NO!!!:frown:

A.:D

:laugh: Don't worry Andy, that was a joke!

Crombers
7th March 2010, 10:03 PM
I'm in the 'refurb to standard' camp :yes nod:

Craig
7th March 2010, 10:19 PM
I'm in the 'refurb to standard' camp :yes nod:

Well your certainly a bit camp... ! :Whistle:

Crombers
7th March 2010, 10:24 PM
well your certainly a bit camp... ! :whistle:

Oooooooo Yas :p

Gismo
7th March 2010, 10:34 PM
Well, i like the dark colour :thumbs up:

Delboy
7th March 2010, 10:50 PM
Well, i like the dark colour :thumbs up:

Oh, one vote for the dark side. Hmmm......:smilewinkgrin:

audrey
7th March 2010, 11:24 PM
Like the silver

Stewart
8th March 2010, 01:01 AM
I think if the Roof was Black then the dark wheels would look fine but agree that with your light roof the light alloy’s look better in my opinion. Why not a new style of wheels.

How bad was the wheel your car is a good bit newer than my car and I’d say I had tar spots here and there and brake dust but not corrosion, unless I’m missing it and I’m anal when it comes to finding things like new chips etc.

Delboy
8th March 2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks again to all for your feedback :thumbs up:. It looks to be a resounding "no" to the darker wheels and I'm not really that surprised.

As for the corrosion, one wheel was touched up around the rim before I got the car and some paint has flaked off plus there is some bubbling of the original paint between the spokes. The other wheels are pretty good though - one has a very slight kerbing scuff and another has a stone chip on a spoke, although there are signs of the paint starting to bubble between spokes on these "good" wheels too. It's quite poor for wheels that are less than 2 years old, even if they weren't looked after particularly well before I got the car.

I might consider replacing the wheels with a new design but I still like the Pace alloys and they're so easy to clean :yes nod:.

stoney
8th March 2010, 10:04 AM
i would def stay with the lighter ones as go's with the car and will bmw not re furb them if they are standerd bmw wheels as its under 3 year old and also rusting so i would be looking at geting them to pay for it

Delboy
8th March 2010, 11:13 AM
i would def stay with the lighter ones as go's with the car and will bmw not re furb them if they are standerd bmw wheels as its under 3 year old and also rusting so i would be looking at geting them to pay for it

Yeah, I wondered about trying a warranty claim but I suspect they'd reject it or only accept that the worst one was worthy of refurbishment since three of the alloys are in the "not bad" category. Might check it out though.

Stewart
8th March 2010, 01:04 PM
For cleaning I'm with you on that one, my wheels are a pain to clean.

euan
8th March 2010, 02:22 PM
I say stay silver.

And cleaning pain is 15 spokes on my A4. They collect brake dust and gunk in against the spokes, never seen anything like it, and it's a NIGHTMARE!!!

Delboy
8th March 2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I think I'll stick with silver :thumbs up:.

I popped in to Powdertec today and really liked their "sparkle silver" paint which is a bright metal fleck finish and would certainly be a bit brighter than my current silver colour. I could get their 1-day refurb service for £275.

They also had a set of refurbished 17" split-rim web spoke alloys (genuine Mini) for sale which looked quite nice but he wasn't interested in taking my Pace alloys in part exchange :moonie:. They're actually listed on eBay for £500, which seems a bit excessive to me. I'd have been very tempted to take them though if he'd given me a reasonable p/x price - they are nice wheels (although cleaning time would have gone up considerably :rolleyes:).

Forbes
8th March 2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I think I'll stick with silver :thumbs up:.

I popped in to Powdertec today and really liked their "sparkle silver" paint which is a bright metal fleck finish and would certainly be a bit brighter than my current silver colour. I could get their 1-day refurb service for £275.

They also had a set of refurbished 17" split-rim web spoke alloys (genuine Mini) for sale which looked quite nice but he wasn't interested in taking my Pace alloys in part exchange :moonie:. They're actually listed on eBay for £500, which seems a bit excessive to me. I'd have been very tempted to take them though if he'd given me a reasonable p/x price - they are nice wheels (although cleaning time would have gone up considerably :rolleyes:).

For £275 would you not almost be aswell with a change? Just another option

Delboy
8th March 2010, 04:06 PM
For £275 would you not almost be aswell with a change? Just another option

It's an option for sure but if I go to an aftermarket wheel then there will be insurance implications but if I keep the existing wheel or even replace with a genuine Mini wheel then that's not an issue. That's why I was attracted to the genuine web spoke alloys - they would make a nice change but at £500 I'd need to be sure I could sell my Pace alloys to reduce the overall cost.

I'm not in a hurry so will keep my options open for now and maybe something else will come up.

Stewart
8th March 2010, 05:13 PM
Must say if its these, then thats one of my fav set of wheels for the Mini.
http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!BnIEQ4gCGk~$(KGrHqIH-CgEtq02t1+LBLiTUOGDDg~~_12.JPG

Delboy
8th March 2010, 05:31 PM
Must say if its these, then thats one of my fav set of wheels for the Mini.
http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!BnIEQ4gCGk~$(KGrHqIH-CgEtq02t1+LBLiTUOGDDg~~_12.JPG

Yup, those are the ones! Wanna buy my Pace alloys? :lol:

euan
8th March 2010, 05:47 PM
You have to watch split rims - they are a nightmare to refurb and not many places will do it. Mine corroded on the join where salt had got between the two pieces of metal and ended up looking a right mess.

In saying that, they did look fantastic ;-)

Stewart
8th March 2010, 05:57 PM
Yup, those are the ones! Wanna buy my Pace alloys? :lol:

I'm happy with my 16" thank you very much :smilewinkgrin:

MINI William
8th March 2010, 06:44 PM
I would deff try and get a warranty claim from MINI. BMW/MINI wheels are bad for corrosion and it's a knowen problem

MINI William
8th March 2010, 06:49 PM
Obviously don't expect a warranty claim if the corrosion is around stone chips or kerbing

Delboy
8th March 2010, 07:23 PM
I would deff try and get a warranty claim from MINI. BMW/MINI wheels are bad for corrosion and it's a knowen problem

Thanks - I might do. (The corrosion is not due to stone chips or kerbing.)

Sheilz
8th March 2010, 10:48 PM
I agree with the majority. Looks best in silver to match your roof.. These are the same wheels I've on Dougall. Could you do me a favour and photoshop them in black, but not shiny black so I can see what they'd look like? Cheers

Sheilz
8th March 2010, 10:50 PM
It's an option for sure but if I go to an aftermarket wheel then there will be insurance implications but if I keep the existing wheel or even replace with a genuine Mini wheel then that's not an issue. That's why I was attracted to the genuine web spoke alloys - they would make a nice change but at £500 I'd need to be sure I could sell my Pace alloys to reduce the overall cost.

I'm not in a hurry so will keep my options open for now and maybe something else will come up.

Autosave in Abz were selling replicas of these with tyre package for just over £500.

Delboy
8th March 2010, 11:51 PM
I agree with the majority. Looks best in silver to match your roof.. These are the same wheels I've on Dougall. Could you do me a favour and photoshop them in black, but not shiny black so I can see what they'd look like? Cheers

I'm not very good at the photo editing but this might give you some idea of how they would look in black:-

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r464/DWhitelaw/Mini%20Cooper%20S%20Clubman/PB290414v6.jpg

N16SHP
9th March 2010, 11:08 AM
No Del, she said black wheel, not NO wheels lol! Only joking mate!

Delboy
9th March 2010, 11:19 AM
No Del, she said black wheel, not NO wheels lol! Only joking mate!

:laugh: I did say I wasn't very good at photo editing :moonie: (It's hard to make them matt black and still visable :lol: !)

Crombers
9th March 2010, 04:47 PM
Oh no, not black !!

Black wheels just don't stand out imho

Delboy
9th March 2010, 05:51 PM
Oh no, not black !!

Black wheels just don't stand out imho

I'll not be going with black wheels :frown:, it was Sheilz that wanted to see them in black.

I kind of agree that sometimes black wheels get "lost" on a car, especially in photos. That's why I was considering titanium as a change in colour, but not any more :smilewinkgrin:.

Sheilz
9th March 2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the effort. Not so sure though about this particular wheel in black but then again they might be ok in the flesh.

clubman0_1
10th March 2010, 12:26 AM
how olds your car cause your wheels should be covered by warrenty for corrossion? - mine are

Delboy
10th March 2010, 02:09 PM
how olds your car cause your wheels should be covered by warrenty for corrossion? - mine are

It's just under two years old so it's a possibility. There is only one wheel that has some bubbling on the inside of a spoke but the other three are fine so I suspect Mini would not accept my claim.

Delboy
10th March 2010, 02:29 PM
I popped into Motorsound in Battlefield and got a trade-in price for my Pace alloys against a new set of alloys - they would only give me £100 because "we don't get many Mini drivers in looking for genuine Mini wheels".

My first reaction was to tell him to get lost but perhaps this is the going rate for trading-in? I'm sure I could squeeze a little bit more out of him but I suspect not much.

What does everyone think?

(btw, while I was talking to the guy outside the shop, Aiden McGeady showed up in his white 5.0l BMW X6 with huge anthracite alloys. The guy said he came in all the time to get his wheels changed :rolleyes:. I was so tempted to ask him if he liked my choice of wheel or if he was "impartial" :laugh:)

Forbes
10th March 2010, 02:47 PM
I popped into Motorsound in Battlefield and got a trade-in price for my Pace alloys against a new set of alloys - they would only give me £100 because "we don't get many Mini drivers in looking for genuine Mini wheels".

My first reaction was to tell him to get lost but perhaps this is the going rate for trading-in? I'm sure I could squeeze a little bit more out of him but I suspect not much.

What does everyone think?

(btw, while I was talking to the guy outside the shop, Aiden McGeady showed up in his white 5.0l BMW X6 with huge anthracite alloys. The guy said he came in all the time to get his wheels changed :rolleyes:. I was so tempted to ask him if he liked my choice of wheel or if he was "impartial" :laugh:)

Ebay them? Sell them on forums?

Craig
10th March 2010, 03:03 PM
I think if that is just for wheels and a couple need refurbed then that price is about right ;)

Delboy
Ebay them? Sell them on forums?

Yes, I could try that but I wondered if folk thought they were only worth about £100.

Stewart
Aiden McGeady
Must have changed from his black R8, the one he forgets to put the petrol cap back on :smilewinkgrin:. Honestly I know its probably a sponsors car but it was a 58 plate and it looked as if every car in the car park had dinged it and a few bad ones at that total shame. :argh:

Delboy
10th March 2010, 03:10 PM
I think if that is just for wheels and a couple need refurbed then that price is about right ;)

Thanks Craig. One would need refurbed to bring it up to the standard of the other three.

N16SHP
10th March 2010, 05:06 PM

I quite like Tony Mowbray's attempt to rescue him, he didn't paint a good picture of himself either lol!

Scottie
10th March 2010, 07:17 PM
try trading your wheels in with bmautosport.co.uk I used this guy and he is great a big hit with the BMW guys.

£30 will get your alloys down to him and you get yours the following day. Or you could drive down.

I had a set of webspokes from powdertec and gave them back if you want more details pm me.

Delboy
11th March 2010, 12:03 AM
try trading your wheels in with bmautosport.co.uk I used this guy and he is great a big hit with the BMW guys.

£30 will get your alloys down to him and you get yours the following day. Or you could drive down.

I had a set of webspokes from powdertec and gave them back if you want more details pm me.

Thanks for this :thumbs up:. I will check out that guy.

On the webspokes, I saw a set this week in powdertec that had been refurbished - they want £500 for them but they weren't interested in taking my pace alloys in p/x.

Delboy
12th March 2010, 10:08 AM
This is for Shielz. I re-done the photo with the Pace alloys in matt black (I think this is better than my first attempt :blush:).

I actually quite like this as an option now :eek:

Sheilz
12th March 2010, 12:35 PM
Cheers Derek. That does look much better than first effort. Thanks