PDA

View Full Version : VFR-Ray

VFR-Ray
28th April 2003, 04:28 AM
As the user name suggests I'm a keen biker, having a Honda VFR750.

But rest assured I'm also a fan of the car (or cage as we bikers call cars), in particular the Mini.

No I don't have one - yet.:( But hoping to have one in the coming months. Have spoken to my nearest dealer who says that the Mini One can almost be purchased ex-stock, great news as this reduces the pain in waiting.:D Would like the new diesel, but appears there shall be a waiting list.:disapprove:

The previous new member comes from Shetland, I come from the neighbouring islands - Orkney. I too am interested in sailing, except I "retired" from competion sailing some 14 years ago when the famaily came along. Living at the time in Inverness meant that travelling to championship events in the central belt was time consuming and costly. I used to race Merlin Rockets and Albacores. Thinking of returning to sailing and teaching the kids (13 and 11).

Willie M
28th April 2003, 03:48 PM
Welcome to NMS Ray, good to have you on board :cool:
Looks like you, me and Fontal should be looking to start our own wee Admirals Cup team ;) Yep, you've got another dinghy sailor here (just started my 2nd season at Port Edgar after 13 years away from sailing).

Also looks like we might need to organise an Orkney or Shetland meet now folks :D

Monsta Mo Mini
28th April 2003, 05:04 PM
Welcome aboard... as it were. Look out for me in July - I coming up to Orkney to see some friends - don't know if we're bringing Mo the MINI yet. Might just take the short passenger crossing from J 'Gts.

PS: 2 my frinds are teachers at Kirkwall.

VFR-Ray
29th April 2003, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Willie M - I managed to race at Crammond in the Scottish Albacore championships, must have been about 1988! Other events were along Moray coast - Lossiemouth for the travellers series and Findhorn for the North of Scotland championships. I was very rusty at the time as I had taken 4 years out to renovate a house - joys of getting married!Highest finish I think was a second, even talked wife into crewing.

Monsta Mo Mini - Primary or secondary school teachers? I have a boy in each school. I work for the Education Dept as a Caretaker. Don't blame you for taking passenger ferry from Groats due to cost. Someone mentioned that his prices are ever increasing, making Pentland Ferries a viable alternative.

Ray

Fontal
29th April 2003, 07:38 PM
Northlink aint cheap £229.40 local rate form shetland to Aberdeen (£270.00 if non local) so I think a meet up here is a bit to exspesive to be viable shame though.

I own and sail fireballs but I started in Albacores great boats to learn in realy easy to keep upright, although it might sound strange but im the crew in my boat as I find it to be the biggest addrenalin rush.
I did qualify for the scottish mirror championships once but turned 16 between qualifing and participating and was then too old to sail in the championships bummer ehh, still the boat went and came in the top 5.

I have sailed many different classes
Cadets
Mirrors
gp14
topper
laser
Firball
laser 3000 + 4000
Flying fifteen
topper sport 14
the best of all maid class (Shetland model) Ill bring Photos to the perth run.

Monsta Mo Mini
29th April 2003, 07:51 PM
They are both at the Secondary school - Neil and Morag Ewing, Morag is local but has been in Edinburgh for a no. of years

3GGG
30th April 2003, 10:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

Welcome to NMS Ray, good to have you on board :cool:
Looks like you, me and Fontal should be looking to start our own wee Admirals Cup team ;) Yep, you've got another dinghy sailor here (just started my 2nd season at Port Edgar after 13 years away from sailing).

I also used to sail on Loch Lomond in the 60's (an 11'6" Gull if anyone remembers those). We still have that boat but it hasn't been in the water for a long time except for a spot of fishing by my brother. Must look the sails out again.